What sports figure do you love the most? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What sports figure do you love the most?

Reaction Score
Betsy King, Wendy Davis, Dee Kantner all from the same county where I live in southeastern PA.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
For me, it is Henry Aaron. I was about seven when the Braves were really good, World Series champs in 1957, and when I was developing a love for baseball.

That they were good was important, but at that age other less obvious things were relevant. I loved their uniforms. I loved that they were from this far off place called Milwaukee. I liked the green background that Topps put on most Braves baseball cards.

Henry was called Hank back then. I loved his number, 44. I liked how he kneeled on one knee when he was on deck, and how he waited until he got up to the plate before putting his helmet on over his hat. But mostly, of course, I loved the effortless way he played, something that even a little kid could sense.

One sportswriter joked back then that he was so relaxed that he might fall asleep between pitches. But when he swung, it was a thing of beauty unleashing a tremendous amount of energy.

I only saw him play twice in person, 1962 (doubleheader) and 1963 at the Polo Grounds against the Mets. He hit a home run in game two of the doubleheader. Oddly enough, the Braves lost all three games.

His career ran from when I was a little kid until 1976, when I was done with school and out in the world. I wrote him a letter on his 40th birthday in 1974. I have a special affinity for the players with lengthy careers spanning most or all of that time period.

aaron.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For me, it is Henry Aaron. I was about seven when the Braves were really good, World Series champs in 1957, and when I was developing a love for baseball.

That they were good was important, but at that age other less obvious things were relevant. I loved their uniforms. I loved that they were from this far off place called Milwaukee. I liked the green background that Topps put on most Braves baseball cards.

Henry was called Hank back then. I loved his number, 44. I liked how he sat on one knee when he was on deck, and how he waited until he got up to the plate before putting his helmet on over his hat. But mostly, of course, I loved the effortless way he played, something that even a little kid could sense.

One sportswriter joked back then that he was so relaxed that he might fall asleep between pitches. But when he swung, it was a thing of beauty unleashing a tremendous amount of energy.

I only saw him play once in person, 1963 at the Polo Grounds against the Mets. He hit a home run.

His career ran from when I was a little kid until 1976, when I was done with school and out in the world. I have a special affinity for the players with lengthy careers spanning most or all of that time period.
Same exact scenario for me. Living in the Boston area, besides the Red Sox I had a strange attraction to the Braves and The Hammer was my favorite. To me, the 50s and 60s were the golden era of baseball.

Reaction Score
Hank started out as a shortstop which he played in the Negro leagues. He also had a cross handed or split hands grip on the bat until someone changed his grip. He had strong wrists that provided the power in his home run swing. Most interesting is the fact that he never hit 50 home runs in a season.
The Braves of the late 50s had a potent top of the order. Billy Bruton, Wes Covington, Hank Aaron, Eddie Mathews, Joe Adcock.
The aces who pitched on 4 days rest were Lew Burdette and Warren Spahn. Spahn may still hold the record for home runs by a pitcher.
I was a Phillies fan in those days, but they stank. As you can see, I had a small interest in Milwaukee's team and County Stadium.
I agree with Husk11, uniforms were cool to a nine year old.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
MARVELOUS MARVIN HAGLER (my homie)

The Hagler vs Hearns fight was a classic, but Mugabi went into this contest with a record of 26-0. Hagler knocked out "The Beast' in round 11, but I thought this was the most exciting round of the fight.

Last edited:

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
In this past decade, Usain Bolt was probably the most exciting and popular athlete in the world. The lightning-bolt-pose of his will always remain iconic. (To see video click Watch on YouTube).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Moriah.
Male: Dan Gurney and the Splendid Splinter. Ted is to blame for my love of salmon fishing.

Reaction Score
I kinda go way back, so I have a number of them.

Baseball: Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski, Ernie Banks, Tony Conigliaro, Lu Clinton, Willie Mays
NBA: Bill Russell, Tommy Heinsohn, Sam Jones, John Havlicek
NHL: Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito
NFL: Gale Sayers, Jim Brown, Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Tom Brady, John Hannah, Russ Francis

Last edited:
Reaction Score
and keeping social distance as well. :cool:
Speaking of social distancing, I used to love Marion Jones before she was exposed as a juicer (even though her #3 seeded UNC Tar Heels knocked #1 seed UConn out in the regional final and went on to win the 1994 national championship). After her awesome 2000 Olympic gold medal performance in the 100 meters (later disqualified), Sports Illustrated did a fold-out photo of the finish in that race. Before you folded it out, it was a picture of several tightly-grouped runners nearing the finish line. When you folded it out, it showed Marion Jones WAY out ahead of the pack, breaking the tape.

1587327829732.png

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Mireya Luis.

The most electrifying leaper in volleyball history.

At only 5'9", she could soar over the tallest blockers, and no one could bounce a ball like she could.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Mireya Luis.

The most electrifying leaper in volleyball history.

At only 5'9", she could soar over the tallest blockers, and no one could bounce a ball like she could.

Never heard of her before, but my goodness :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom