What sports figure do you love the most? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What sports figure do you love the most?

Reaction Score
Jim "Crash" Jensen, played for the Dolphins for 12 years. When he'd come in on third down, it was almost a guaranteed first down. Played wide receiver, tight end, quarterback, running back, special teams, whatever they needed him to do. Still my favorite Fin.

Reaction Score
1587445115533.jpeg

Gotta love this guy!

Reaction Score
WBB: DT
MBB: Bill Russell
Baseball: Hank Aaron
Football: Bob Lilly
Hockey: Bobby Orr

Reaction Score
I’d have to say Juan Marichal. I was a 13 year old Jersey kid when he pitched his first game in the majors. It was against the Phillies. I was a huge Giants fan and had followed his minor league career - knew he was going to be great. Back in those days, they broadcast Giants games on the radio, back to the NY metropolitan area. So, of course I listened to it. He pitched a 1 hit shutout - single in the 8th. Struck out 12, walked 1. He also pitched in one of the greatest pitching duels of all time. 1963 vs Braves. He won 1-0 in 16 innings agains Warren Spahn - both pitching complete games (game won on a Willie Mays hr). I met Juan after he retired at a card show. Got a personalized, signed card from him. He was dressed in a suit and looked just elegant. He was a true gentleman.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I thought about this some and came up blank. Till this evening. There's a 30 for 30 on the 1983 NC state men's basketball championship team. Jimmy Valvano is my absolute favorite sports character. When I was at UVa I loved Jimmy V. One of my favorite quotes ever was Jimmy saying, "People say I play Vinnie del Negro because he's Italian. I play him because I'M Italian."

Every year when they play that speech of his at halftime of the Jimmy V game, I watch it and I bawl. It never gets old, for me probably the most moving speech ever. This show has the 1983 players talking about him. He was a great coach, but he was such a loving person. And a dreamer. And courageous. The players still love him and revere him.

I'm not one to hold sports figures up as role models, but he was one.

Last edited:

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
The Big Unit and Michael Jordon!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members