OT: - What sports don't catch your interest? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: What sports don't catch your interest?

Reaction Score
Soccer is not a sport, it's a reason to riot. And not even a GOOD reason.

Baseball was my fave when I was kid, and I still root hard for the Giants (and HAAAAAAAAATE the Dodgers!), but don't really watch that much, though the new rules for mostly speeding up the game and also encouraging some offense do make it a little more fun to watch than it used to be.

I'm bored with the NFL now, though I have sat with my brother and watched the last two Stupor Bowls after maybe a ten-year hiatus. He is WAYYYYYY into the NFL.

Lacrosse, nah... though the indoor version is a bit better.

I'm a recent adopter of Rangers hockey because my best friend from Poughkeepsie is a big fan and has "converted" me. Last night's OT thriller was the BOMB!

Australian-rules football is terrific, I wish they'd start a pro league here.

Reaction Score
Women’s gymnastics floor exercise. Is there any “sport” more dependent on appearance/display/posture?

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I found myself watching pickleball on TV yesterday. Seems like it’s a sport on the rise but I thought it was more for people who had one foot in the grave, not youngish people on TV. It’s lame.

Reaction Score
I should add... Cricket. WTF?? Games that can take four days, definitely NOT on my list.

Reaction Score
I found myself watching pickleball on TV yesterday. Seems like it’s a sport on the rise but I thought it was more for people who had one foot in the grave, not youngish people on TV. It’s lame.
It's horrible. 50× worse than badminton, 50× times worse than padel tennis, 100× worse than ping pong, 1000× worse than tennis.

Reaction Score
Any car racing at all. Awful bunch of left turns.

WWF and alike amazes me. How can people be addicted to something that is already decided and then acted out? lol

I agree. It’s almost as bad as NFL football.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It's horrible. 50× worse than badminton, 50× times worse than padel tennis, 100× worse than ping pong, 1000× worse than tennis.
Some sports are just not spectator sports and never will be. In my mother’s retirement community theres about 8 pickleball courts. Rick Barry btw is supposedly a very good pickleball player.

Reaction Score
Lots of injuries for those who play.

Pickleball is a fad, just like paddle tennis was 20 and 30 years ago. All those enclosed paddle tennis courts that sprang up overnight years ago are gone, and give pickleball 15 or 20 years and it will be gone as well. I’d only be worried if every high school and college in the world tears down their tennis courts and replaces them with pickleball courts. If you really want a paddle sport for the masses because millions of people don’t know how to control a tennis racquet, AND you want to save some space and money, either take a tennis lesson or buy a ping pong table.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My appreciation for soccer is probably only due to having attended UConn in the mid-late 70s when it was the only sport where we competed at the highest level. So I learned the intricacies of the game watching live on the pitch at Storrs. I imagine if I hadn't had that experience I'd find it incredibly dull as well.
You bring up a good point. You can get into any sport given the right circumstances. Look at how many new fans wcbb has now because of CC. Or golf and F1 because of the Netflix shows.

*random side note- I'm in cancun right now and the bar was showing the Pirates game last night. I want one of those hats

StllH8L8ner

Reaction Score
Pickleball is a fad, just like paddle tennis was 20 and 30 years ago. All those enclosed paddle tennis courts that sprang up overnight years ago are gone, and give pickleball 15 or 20 years and it will be gone as well. I’d only be worried if every high school and college in the world tears down their tennis courts and replaces them with pickleball courts. If you really want a paddle sport for the masses because millions of people don’t know how to control a tennis racquet, AND you want to save some space and money, either take a tennis lesson or buy a ping pong table.
Never played paddle but I’d drive by the courts at a club in Darien (Woodway?) coming home from the bar at 1am and there would be people playing out there in sub-arctic temps. Had a little club house in the middle of the courts with a TV on and it struck me that it might be kinda cool to hang out, have a few drinks and a cigar with the boys after paddle when I got older. But now that I’m older, I’m usually asleep by 10pm most nights…

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Never played paddle but I’d drive by the courts at a club in Darien (Woodway?) coming home from the bar at 1am and there would be people playing out there in sub-arctic temps. Had a little club house in the middle of the courts with a TV on and it struck me that it might be kinda cool to hang out, have a few drinks and a cigar with the boys after paddle when I got older. But now that I’m older, I’m usually asleep by 10pm most nights…
What bar were you hanging out at that required a trip on Rt106 @1am?

StllH8L8ner

Reaction Score
What bar were you hanging out at that required a trip on Rt106 @1am?
Probably Sono or coming home from softball at Calf Pasture. I lived on Hope St so I’d jump on Rt 7 and take the Merritt to avoid late night I95 roadwork.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Not long ago I saw ESPN has a "pillow fighting", the most disgusting sport ever to me.
They recently aired axe throwing. Guys throwing axes dead center every time. Yawn.

Reaction Score
They recently aired axe throwing. Guys throwing axes dead center every time. Yawn.
As a kid I used to love those logging games that would air sometimes on ESPN. Who can saw the fastest, who can scale a tree the fastest, who can chop a tree down the fastest.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
As a kid I used to love those logging games that would air sometimes on ESPN. Who can saw the fastest, who can scale a tree the fastest, who can chop a tree down the fastest.
Those guys who stood on the log and chopping down btw their feet. Yikes!!!

Reaction Score
Lots of injuries for those who play.

If myself and 3 friends tried to play tennis inside my 2 car garage or my basement, or a standard sized High School classroom I’d imagine we all would have some serious injuries at some point. Lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom