What makes UConn Unbeatable | The Boneyard

What makes UConn Unbeatable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its simple Genos spacing of recruits. If you look at who is coming in and how Geno recruits, he recruits based on a needs basis. In other words. He dosnt just grab every top recruit and he dosnt grab every top recruit that cant fill a position. For example. Stef will be a junior next season. Morgan and Breanna are coming in this season. Kiah is ready to step in and Diamond is in the wings ready to step up the following season. Breanna can play any position but most likely will be the 4 or 5. Morgan can also play the 3 or 4. So what does the future look like . Kiah at the 5, Breanna at the 4or5 and Morgan at the 3or4. I know some of you dont like to use numbers but for this example I am. Now what does that do to UConns defense. Kiah underneath as a shot bocker and Breanna and Morgan up front with their height making it tuff for opponets to shoot over them.

Caroline will be a senior this season. BB is waiting in the wings. Bria will be a junior and in her senior season Moriah will be ready to step in. Every 2 years Geno recruits to replace who will graduate in 2 years or so it seems. This allows freshman to come in, learn Genos system, and play within the chemistry of the team. This eliminates the pressure of having to score or perform at the college level before they are ready and it also eliminates loss of team chemistry.

Some coaches grab all the best players and throw them up againest the wall and see who sticks. Others grab all the top players they can each year and then try to have them play positions they arent accustomed too. Kinda like making them fit in because they are talented or on the job training...learn as you go. What Geno has done is bring in kids, based on replacing those kids who are graduating in a year or 2.

People have talked about UConns great defenses, which is what Cferr calls Genos ability to teach weak side help. That all comes from playing together and from team chemistry which is knowing each other and what is expected of each other. It becomes reflexive through practice. It dosnt happen from a freshman coming in and being thrown out there to play because they were great in high school.

IMO and youve read my posts. UConn will be almost unbeatable next season. If UConn beats Baylor and I think they should, from that point on it might be very difficult for UConn to lose a game for a few seasons. UConn will continue to attract great players who have the "want to" because they understand what it takes to win, and they know Genos system is set up for them to win. With all the parity in WCBB, UConn continues to set the bar beyond everybody else. The most remarkable thing about that is Geno continues to raise the bar and beat what he's done in the past. He's done that by being tuff, and fair, and by building a team which is part of the UConn family even after graduation. His caring for his players, his family is part of the team and his team is part of his family. He has built something very special and very difficult to duplicate. We are truly lucky to be part of his Dream.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I love your optimism, but weren't you the person who predicted 327 wins in a row or something like that? Just teasing.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Sometimes the best laid plans go to waste. UConn had top ranked classes in 2003 and 2006. Of the 2003 class, Turner, Crockett, and Strother ended up being very nice role players who weren't good enough to lead a team by themselves to championship contention, and Wolff ended up being a bust (which is too bad because she was a New Englander, very pretty, very marketable). From 2006, of course Tina became a great player, but Kaili and Meghan were primarily bench players their entire careers. Meanwhile, Kristen Phillips ended up being a bust and a transfer. Injuries were part of it, and Geno questioned whether she was really committed. And then there was 2008, a stellar class on paper. EDD never plays for UConn, Buck can't get off the end of the bench, Caroline's been limited due to injuries, and Tiff has a very good, but not "first banana on a championship-caliber team" good, career.

I agree that Geno does a good job recruiting to need and building what should conceptually be good teams two, three, even four years in the future, but a lot is outside of his control and always will be.

There is also no guarantee Diamond is coming. UConn has a good shot, but it's not a given at all.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Tony - Thanks for your rays of sunshine! We ARE lucky, and thank you for reminding us. And your analysis was a good 'un, too!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Sometimes Geno is so smart that he fakes everyone out by only bringing in one player, like Ashley Valley or Kelly Faris.

With all the optimism comes attrition. Wolff, Walker, McCormack, Delle Donne, and you might as well add Johnson and Phillips. And I hope DeShields (sure thing) works out better than Goring (sure thing a few years ago).

Mark Twain called an optimist a day-dreamer with a fancier name.

Someone else said a pessimist is an optimist with experience.

I'll be happy if everyone shows up and we beat Notre Dame twice next season.

HGN

Reaction Score
Good reasoning TonyC , and good rationale Alexrgct.......I think Geno's recruiting is systematic and he has a plan 2-3 years out as to what he needs and who he must go after...And it has worked for UConn well. Also Alexrgct has a good point. EDD never played ; Buck hasn't worked out as well as hoped ; and there is no guarantee that Diamond is coming. Although i believe she would be a star UConn. But the longer she drags this out the less I feel she will be in Storrs.

But who can argue with UConn's success in its recruiting. There is non better in WCBB. A great combination of talent and coaching skill.

GO HUSKIES !!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
going back in time, it's almost NEVER been a great mix of 2-4 recruits on average every year. injuries, transfers, recruiting issues have all had their impact. and several single recruit classes messed with the numbers as well (1999 Kennitra Johnson who transferred, 2001 Ashley Valley, 2009 Kelly Faris). the "good" thing about the 1 person classes of AV and KF were that non medical redshirts (Jess Moore), and medical redshirts (Ash Battle, Caroline Doty, Heather Buck), effectively made those classes NOT 1 person classes. in fact, Tiff was recruited along with Caroline and Elena, and would have been in the same class as Jess McCormack, but we all know what happened to the other 3, and now Tiff is effectively a 1-person class.

but Tony hit the nail on the head with recruiting the RIGHT players. not only are they great kids who in general fit in fantastically with the team chemistry, but Geno rarely recruits 1-dimensional players (Tina may be the lone example as she could ONLY play around the basket for 3 years)

but look at what he has on the team now (starters and reserves who get minutes)

Tiff can play the 1, 2, or 3
Caroline - 1,2
Kelly - 2,3,4
Bria - 1,2
KML - 2,3,4
Stef - 4,5 (because she can step out and hit a mid range jumper)
Kiah - 4,5
Brianna - 1,2

the kids coming in are almost even more versatile. Bree can literally play 2,3,4,5 and Morgan 3,4. Moriah probably 1,2. and not only are the players all very versatile, but he didn't load up on 3 forwards and no guards in any given year. i'm betting Tony had Tennessee in mind when he was explaining his points. back in 2007, Tennessee loaded up on forwards and centers - Cain, Baugh, Gray, Brewer, and Johnson. they were lacking a true PG and thought Avant was the answer. instead, Stricklen had to run the point for 3 years.

Now they've gone after a ton of guards/wings. Williams, Spani, Simmons, Massengale, and Carter. Harrison is their only center and she's lightly regarded. Graves and Burdick are their only forwards. unless they land a JUCO or 2, they are now suddenly guard rich but post poor.

Last year UCONN suffered from having a freshman center and no real back up so Maya ended up playing the 5 when Stef was on the bench or in foul trouble. it was compounded by Samarie transferring. but UCONN rarely finds itself in that kind of predicament. it's a testament to how great of a planner and recruiter Geno is that he rarely has huge holes in his team. That's 1 reason we've won 5 of the last 11 NC's...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Good reasoning TonyC , and good rationale Alexrgct.......I think Geno's recruiting is systematic and he has a plan 2-3 years out as to what he needs and who he must go after...And it has worked for UConn well. Also Alexrgct has a good point. EDD never played ; Buck hasn't worked out as well as hoped ; and there is no guarantee that Diamond is coming. Although i believe she would be a star UConn. But the longer she drags this out the less I feel she will be in Storrs.

But who can argue with UConn's success in its recruiting. There is non better in WCBB. A great combination of talent and coaching skill.

GO HUSKIES !!

"the longer she drags this out the less I feel she will be in Storrs."

I just don't get this logic. Not many 2013 players have verballed.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, Kristen Phillips ended up being a bust and a transfer. Injuries were part of it, and Geno questioned whether she was really committed.

Phillips was always a risk. I think the only reason Geno took her was that he had an extra scholarship and she begged him. And, hey, why not take a shot on a 6'5" kid? But once it becamse apparent that she didn't have the work ethic, she got kicked to the curb.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Overly optomistic OP but I do like what Geno does recruiting - he is very selective regardless of 'talent' and 'rating' - if he doesn't like the player and person he will walk away from them. And if he likes the player and person he will pursue regardless of their national ranking. He is generally lucky in this regard in that he has the rep to attract most of the players he likes, but there are other coaches who I do think jump too hard for talent and then have log jams at single positions or players that are distractions for the team.
The other thing that helps is that I think he is one of the best coaches at putting players in the best situation to succeed - his system is very adaptable to the talents available, and he is good at masking player and team weaknesses.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
But, as always, you like our chances? :)

Of course! I have great faith in Geno's ability to recruit and coach but little confidence in the pollyana projections of lineups years into the future.

And I especially like our chances against Notre Dame next year.!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
One thing I learned a long time ago . People dont plan to fail, they fail to plan. Geno is a winning because he has a plan, knowing that there will have to be adjustments along the way. I too want to beat ND twice next season, and beat them badly.

Reaction Score
One thing I learned a long time ago . People dont plan to fail, they fail to plan. Geno is a winning because he has a plan, knowing that there will have to be adjustments along the way. I too want to beat ND twice next season, and beat them badly.

How about beating ND three or four times next year, that would even be better!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Beat them so bad they will beg us to take the pot o' gold.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don't know which is more fun, reading Tony or watching ND lose at anything. If kids played on paper instead of on the court, we never would have had a year without an NC or a player who was glued to the bench,they'd all be so good. If the new kids are as good as they are rated to be and all else is equal, we should be darn good . If only we could take Griner's size, experience and skill away from her and get Sims into a funk, nobody will touch us. Why does no one else have a chance? Because we have Tony and they don't. The difference between GA and Tony is that GA's learned not to publicly predict great things for his team and Tony doesn't have to worry about Jeff Jacobs. Ah, reading Tony is way more fun than watching ND lose.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I think the reason why UConn wins so much is because of the way Geno has been able to get every player to buy into his system. If they don't understand the offensive set that is being implemented or how to play the UConn brand of defense, it won't matter if you have the talent of Maya Moore or Nneka Ogwumike. It's his ability to relate to the players that enables them to buy into his system. A lot of coaches have an immense amount of talent, but aren't able to have the same type of success as UConn because they can't get through to the talent.

I think even if Geno had a rag-tag team of players, he'd still be competitive because the team would want to run through walls for him. That's the hallmark of an elite coach. Of course, the type of recruits he gets doesn't hurt at all. Lol.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think the reason why UConn wins so much is because of the way Geno has been able to get every player to buy into his system. If they don't understand the offensive set that is being implemented or how to play the UConn brand of defense, it won't matter if you have the talent of Maya Moore or Nneka Ogwumike. It's his ability to relate to the players that enables them to buy into his system. A lot of coaches have an immense amount of talent, but aren't able to have the same type of success as UConn because they can't get through to the talent.

I think even if Geno had a rag-tag team of players, he'd still be competitive because the team would want to run through walls for him. That's the hallmark of an elite coach. Of course, the type of recruits he gets doesn't hurt at all. Lol.

Well said, Saki, good to see you around. And this is why when players don't fit or learn to play within the concept and execute what is expected they often sit despite talent. Why? Because just one player doing their own thing can disrupt the whole and undermine the efforts of other players. This is not to say there is not great freedom within the system but that the freedom and opportunity is created through the process. It is freedom to play, not to create chaos.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

In theory, he had a ragtag group of players when he first had success at UConn, making the Final Four kind of out of the blue. Of course, they weren't really ragtag, because Bascomb was damn good and her supporting cast wasn't chopped liver. Even the first NC team was made up largely of more or less local kids, who, except for Lobo, had no national attention in high school. Not a bad talent evaluator - Wolters, Rizzoti, Berube etc. and a young Sales, who did have some national reputation. What separates him, as you point out, is that he has had success with every sort of team - tall, short, quick, experienced, inexperienced. Most coaches can't do that neat trick. Most teams would give their souls to have what constitutes a bit of an off-year for UConn. Maybe before Geno retires, someone will have come up with the true fountain of youth, and then, well maybe then, he won't retire.

Reaction Score
Some kids are great at being the center of the basketball universe in high school. Some are more content at being a cog in a fine tuned machine. Geno is an expert at being able to tell the difference, and bring in those that will fit in the "UConn System". We have 1 TEAM with 5 players, while other schools have 5 players on the floor at the same time, each playing their own individual game.

Reaction Score
going back in time, it's almost NEVER been a great mix of 2-4 recruits on average every year. injuries, transfers, recruiting issues have all had their impact. and several single recruit classes messed with the numbers as well (1999 Kennitra Johnson who transferred, 2001 Ashley Valley, 2009 Kelly Faris). the "good" thing about the 1 person classes of AV and KF were that non medical redshirts (Jess Moore), and medical redshirts (Ash Battle, Caroline Doty, Heather Buck), effectively made those classes NOT 1 person classes. in fact, Tiff was recruited along with Caroline and Elena, and would have been in the same class as Jess McCormack, but we all know what happened to the other 3, and now Tiff is effectively a 1-person class.

but Tony hit the nail on the head with recruiting the RIGHT players. not only are they great kids who in general fit in fantastically with the team chemistry, but Geno rarely recruits 1-dimensional players (Tina may be the lone example as she could ONLY play around the basket for 3 years)

but look at what he has on the team now (starters and reserves who get minutes)

Tiff can play the 1, 2, or 3
Caroline - 1,2
Kelly - 2,3,4
Bria - 1,2
KML - 2,3,4
Stef - 4,5 (because she can step out and hit a mid range jumper)
Kiah - 4,5
Brianna - 1,2

the kids coming in are almost even more versatile. Bree can literally play 2,3,4,5 and Morgan 3,4. Moriah probably 1,2. and not only are the players all very versatile, but he didn't load up on 3 forwards and no guards in any given year. i'm betting Tony had Tennessee in mind when he was explaining his points. back in 2007, Tennessee loaded up on forwards and centers - Cain, Baugh, Gray, Brewer, and Johnson. they were lacking a true PG and thought Avant was the answer. instead, Stricklen had to run the point for 3 years.

Now they've gone after a ton of guards/wings. Williams, Spani, Simmons, Massengale, and Carter. Harrison is their only center and she's lightly regarded. Graves and Burdick are their only forwards. unless they land a JUCO or 2, they are now suddenly guard rich but post poor.

Last year UCONN suffered from having a freshman center and no real back up so Maya ended up playing the 5 when Stef was on the bench or in foul trouble. it was compounded by Samarie transferring. but UCONN rarely finds itself in that kind of predicament. it's a testament to how great of a planner and recruiter Geno is that he rarely has huge holes in his team. That's 1 reason we've won 5 of the last 11 NC's...
Starting with Tony:) in a perfect Geno/CD world all of the recruiting, planning,injuries,emotional,mental,physical aspects,practice,being a UCONN type player/person,student/athlete,works out as planned. Part of the plan has to be that the plan does not go as one has worked on results in you put yourself in position to win! Well we all know that it does not work out perfectly! Everyone who contributes in the thread adds something.Eric addresses a # of important aspects. Recruiting the right players,versatility,a system,ability to deal with everything not going as hoped for,ability/talent to adjust,and dealing with the search for perfection with a plan. We do and are willing to go for a player becaue they are that good and fit criteria. The O sisters,Elizabeth Williams,and others who we went after because they were that good! It has been talked to death,but EDD IMHO would have provided 4 NCS with the rest of the team. Samari Walker would have provided enough to give us the 2 NCs w/o EDD. I believe in the last 2 years he has squeezed just about all that one could possibly expect from the players on the roster. It does not always work out. We are in position for as of this moment a run of 4 NCs over the next 4 years. Adding to the 5 straight FFs, 2 NCs during this span! You do have to continue to recruit to keep it going! Remarkable what has and is being accomplished!
The TN situation that Eric addresses is complicated and compromised by recruiting decisions and other factors in an atmosphere that imcreasingly has had an impact on their program. I would not want that for any program or FAMILY!
As Geno/CD talked about in the classic interview have created as partners the best major amateur.college program! Yes,it can be compared<and Geno would shine with pride to even have that said>to John Wooden's, the Wizard of Westwood,UCLA BRUINS from 1960+ to his retirement in 1975. We have been blessed and "It Ain't Over"

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Thanks for the kind words from a terrific Stanford poster. Glad you are visiting.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sometimes the best laid plans go to waste. UConn had top ranked classes in 2003 and 2006. Of the 2003 class, Turner, Crockett, and Strother ended up being very nice role players who weren't good enough to lead a team by themselves to championship contention, and Wolff ended up being a bust (which is too bad because she was a New Englander, very pretty, very marketable). From 2006, of course Tina became a great player, but Kaili and Meghan were primarily bench players their entire careers. Meanwhile, Kristen Phillips ended up being a bust and a transfer. Injuries were part of it, and Geno questioned whether she was really committed. And then there was 2008, a stellar class on paper. EDD never plays for UConn, Buck can't get off the end of the bench, Caroline's been limited due to injuries, and Tiff has a very good, but not "first banana on a championship-caliber team" good, career.

I agree that Geno does a good job recruiting to need and building what should conceptually be good teams two, three, even four years in the future, but a lot is outside of his control and always will be.

There is also no guarantee Diamond is coming. UConn has a good shot, but it's not a given at all.

I am only 4 messages deep in this thread...having resurfaced from a family imposed hiatus...no, not an intervention to cure my boneyardism, just family stuff:) And I truly love you infectious optimism Tony, but will I see someone down this thread point out the we lost this year with freshmen in the rotation, which sorta validates part of your post, and we lost last year with Maya Moore at the helmm of the shortest rotation in UC history. Cuz as alex says, some things just happen...Gillian Goring, EDD, ...etc...MCL tears-3 and counting...Shea...CD the younger... not every one of our stars is a DT... never to be duplicated perhaps, but Geno is making bold predictions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom