What makes Caroline special? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What makes Caroline special?

Reaction Score
Simply put, she has raw talent, she has a motor, and she has a high basketball IQ. Rare for a freshman to have all 3 qualities. We often hype incoming freshman based on their high school ratings. In this case, CD has lived up to expectations and more... The prototype wing player. IMO, she's the 2nd best overall player on team behind Paige. We'd have more losses without her in the lineup.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just ran across this video interview (a teenager) after Caroline Declares but before her Senior year of HS

Pretty cool in its detail although he manages to mangle both Caroline and Paige's name and towards the end, he becomes fixated on similar questions about the UConn Program which I suppose is fine for a BY audience

Reaction Score
Just ran across this video interview (a teenager) after Caroline Declares but before her Senior year of HS

Pretty cool in its detail although he manages to mangle both Caroline and Paige's name and towards the end, he becomes fixated on similar questions about the UConn Program which I suppose is fine for a BY audience

Thanks for sharing, eebmg. Yes, the interviewer seemed to run out of questions about two-thirds of the way through, but it was nevertheless interesting to see just how mature and thoughtful (and patient) Caroline was even nearly two years ago.

Reaction Score
What has really made Ducharme special is UConn's need for someone to step up...CW and EV did not, or could not, do that deed. If Paige had not been hurt, and Azzi was not sidelined for her problem, Caroline would not have gotten the playing time needed to show everyone what she can do. The only problem I see in the future is Azzi and Paige cutting her playing time when, and if, they come back and preform like they should.

Reaction Score

What makes Napheesa Caroline special?​

Based on mountains of comments . . . original draft?

Reaction Score
What makes her special? Simple. She s a DAWG on the court with no fear!!!!

Reaction Score
No spitting match with you @NU2BY or @PvP I will not get in the middle on KLS. Having said that your comment on rebounding is hard to understand. No attack, but in basketball it is every players job to rebound. Note at 5'11" Paige is our third leading re-bounder.
It comes down to tenacity, drive and ball trajectory anticipation ability.
Back to the OP's topic Caroline has it on both ends of the floor and applies it. The rest has been stated by many above.
That's only because Paige knows where the ball is going to be before almost any of the other 9 players on the floor.

Reaction Score
1) She can finish with both hands
2) She has every shot, 3 ball, pull up J, scoop, etc.
3) She never stops moving with intention to get free, endurance is unreal
4) Learned how to play the old way, back doors, change of direction, inside cuts
5) Is an incredibly smart basketball player

She starts tomorrow, she starts the rest of the season, she starts the rest of her career. 18.5 points and 4.75 boards for a freshman since she first started. C'mon!

Reaction Score
That's only because Paige knows where the ball is going to be before almost any of the other 9 players on the floor.
Not true or at least you can’t prove it. Good grief.

Reaction Score
1) She can finish with both hands
2) She has every shot, 3 ball, pull up J, scoop, etc.
3) She never stops moving with intention to get free, endurance is unreal
4) Learned how to play the old way, back doors, change of direction, inside cuts
5) Is an incredibly smart basketball player

She starts tomorrow, she starts the rest of the season, she starts the rest of her career. 18.5 points and 4.75 boards for a freshman since she first started. C'mon!
@BBallF you are smart.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
When, and if, a full and healthy squad comes back to play at a later date:
there should be 4 other players and CAROLINE starting.

Reaction Score
You forgot one more, uses the whole court, e.g. cruises the baseline (in addition to just hanging out on the perimeter and making cuts, like most others)
Totally agree. She is very dangerous when she does that especially when she has a height advantage.

Reaction Score
My guess is that if she reads all these (true) statements about her, that she wouldn't let it go to her head. And when the team is at full strength she won't care if her stats go down, as long as she contributes to a win.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The original thread where @SVCBeercats posted this video has disappeared but the video shows so clearly why Caroline is so special and successful,

Here she takes both the 1-1 and 3pt contests over a slew of top players.

To see how her UConn teammates must have felt about Caroline during summer session, go to the 3:00 mark where she dispatches a player (not sure who) in 1 -1 and leaves the court in disbelief.

1643220340473.png

And everyone knew she would take the 3pt contest, (see 1:45)

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
One hears (from time to time) that she's not a great athlete
What does that mean?
Foot speed? leaping ability? flexibility? All of the above?

They said that about DeBusschere and Bird, the former whom she most resembles.
Interesting that there is French somewhere in their mutual backgrounds.

How do you make up for that?
Intelligence, competitiveness, mastery of what you can do, stamina, determination
creativity.

It helps to be big and strong.

That's our Caroline.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I was driving on I-84 westbound near Hartford this afternoon, and I saw an electronic billboard promoting UConn basketball (men and women). There was a picture of a male player whom I didn't recognize (only got a quick glance while driving), but the photo for the women's team was of Caroline (unmistakable).

I guess, as long as Paige is not playing, Caroline is now the marketing face of UConn women's basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom