What makes Caroline special? | The Boneyard

What makes Caroline special?

Reaction Score
One of the few positives coming out of this challenging season is the play of Caroline D.
The minutes she is playing, would never have materialized without the injuries. Other than Paige last year, she has been one of the most impressive freshman we have had in awhile.
It's often said that she moves well without the ball. I think it's more than that.
Her hands are excellent, when she posts down low, even if she is covered, she catches the ball and puts the ball in the basket, more often than not.
Also, she can make baskets while she is moving...this is not common. Coming off screens, driving to the basket, pulling up....she doesn't have to be set to score......this is really a skill most don't have ( Paige exception)
With an improvement in her "handle", this player has a really high ceiling.

Reaction Score
Old fashion player with long arms and a wide assortment of shots suggestive of having spent a lot of time on a backyard hoop, particularly in her mastery of the backboard. Somewhat peculiar jump shot, with a too low (but quick) release, and not much arc, so not going to get the benefit of a shooters roll, i.e. it has to be totally on-target.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Some points on Caroline. She has moves when handling the ball, shes got a floater, when shes not hitting outside shots she goes inside. When Paige and Azzi get back she wont have to rush her shots because both can hit outside shots. Caroline can create her own shot and is a pretty good ball handler. When shes around the basket she finishes and she is a very good foul shooter. The dynamic 3 some of Paige Azzi and Caroline can do so much off the dribble makes UConn very difficult to defend.

This is a different team then the team we had early season. We've grown tremendously especially Caroline Dorka and Liv. If we get healthy we should win it all.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I really enjoy watching Caroline play. She is a player who is becoming consistent so that Geno can count on her. Just look at her average for the last 6 games. 18.66 points per game and 4.66 rebounds per game. When UConn's other stars return and when they return to form which I understand might take a while they will bring back 43 points in production per game. UConn over the last 6 games without Paige and Azzi and for the last three games without Christyn has averaged 73 points per game. Add in the additional production by Paige, Azzi and Christyn I would expect that average to go up considerably. Once this team gets to about 85 points they will be hard to beat especially with the way they are playing defense now.

Additionally, I haven't figured in the Olivia, Dorka and Muhl factors. Olivia is playing her best basketball, Dorka has found her rhythm and Muhl is just being her energetic self. I like this team come March if everyone is healthy. I can't imagine UConn playing the role of being the "dark horse favorite" but that could be exactly the role they will play in this years big dance.

sun

Reaction Score
The rest of the players get to watch Caroline play and learn from her, especially the injured and on the bench.
And it will help to build trust in each others ability in the future so they can develop more chemistry together.
If a friendly rivalry develops among teammates, then that may help to spur them to improve and innovate their game as well.
It should all result with providing Geno with more tools to work with & a better team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She's in the game every minute. Look at her face ... her expression rarely if ever changes except when she's congratulating a teammate. Otherwise, she's totally deadpan, emotionless and very serious. One of the things I absolutely love about this girl is something oldude pointed out earlier this season. He (basically) said she has no memory and therefore plays without fear of making a mistake or missing a shot. What a rare jewel we have in Caroline Ducharme!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
She is not afraid to play the game.
Not to be a broken record but if someone could repost that podcast interview with her when she was in HS it would answer the OP's question. She is 100% baller and instinctually knows the game inside and out. My only concern coming in is if she was athletic enough to compete at this level (but I figured if she wasn't Geno would have known). She putting up numbers but for her, it's not about the numbers it's about winning.

Reaction Score
The rest of the players get to watch Caroline play and learn from her, especially the injured and on the bench.
And it will help to build trust in each others ability in the future so they can develop more chemistry together.
If a friendly rivalry develops among teammates, then that may help to spur them to improve and innovate their game as well.
It should all result with providing Geno with more tools to work with & a better team.
This just might be the best post you've ever made here.

Reaction Score
Her uniqueness is her endless motion,
long arms, (skill and talent), good hands,
and GRIT. It also
does not hurt to be 6'2"
when the other UCONN players on the
floor are 6' 5", 6'5", and 6'3" = some
nice height mismatches.
Pluse: Her 'floating" shot lookw like Evina's!
etc., etc. there is alot of " there... there" ( that
lady in Paris ).

Reaction Score
One of the keys of success at UConn is self confidence in your abilities and CD got that in spades. She is not the most athletic but her high basketball iq is allowing her to recognize what is the move to make and it is very rare that she makes a bad basketball decision.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What makes Caroline unique is exactly what Geno said about her at the start of the season. She is consistent at all three levels. 1) As Geno said she gets the ball on the rim as well as anyone including Paige. I haven't seen her show Paige's variety around the rim, but her long arms and proficiency off the glass is as good as anyone UConn has had in many years. 2) She has a sweet pull up game as well as being able to curl off a screen or dribble off of it and score. In other words, her pull up game is, from what I've seen, better than anyone else on the team aside from Paige. Neither CW or E have ever shown the ability to consistently hit pull ups, curl off of a screen and shoot while their bodies are in motion, or dribble off that screen and hit consistent pull ups. Since the Oregon game I've been screaming for her to show more of her pull up game. Hell, I've been screaming for all of the UConn players use their pull up to score, especially Nika, who from my vantage hasn't shot a pull all year. Last game Nika dribbled in close, stopped, turned to pass, then hit from the mid-range, so there's that. But for the two games previous I'd been begging for CD to use her mid-range game more. In the first half against St. John's she did. Then in the second half, not so much. 3) Finally as Geno said, she makes just enough from the arc to keep defenses honest. At this level the wing is her natural position, and I don't see anyone removing her from that spot for her entire duration at UConn. One great advantage that Geno didn't mention before the season is as a wing CD frequently has mismatches, and UConn needs to take advantage of this more often, especially on the block. UConn utilizes her length on back door plays, but they need to isolate her on the block more often. Especially when a team plays UConn straight up as St. Johns did yesterday.

Reaction Score
One of the keys of success at UConn is self confidence in your abilities and CD got that in spades. She is not the most athletic but her high basketball iq is allowing her to recognize what is the move to make and it is very rare that she makes a bad basketball decision.
How much fun it is to have so many of us trying to describe just what it is that Caroline brings to the court. The cool thing is we all appreciate it and are thankful for the serendipitous turn of events that allowed her to show her stuff (even while ruing Paige's absence).

I have a couple of close friends who get to see very few Huskies games and yet are big fans. After watching her methodically take apart the St. John's defense (as she has Louisville's and numerous others'), I realized how I need to describe her: Caroline is the most unspectacular outstanding player I've seen in many a year, a joy to watch if you're a basketball purist.

PvP

Reaction Score
On December 21st of last year I started a thread titled "Caroline Ducharme, an upgrade at No. 33?" suggesting that I saw aspects of her game and potential that to me compared favorably to the great KLS at a comparable point in her first season. Well I certainly got a lot of grief for even raising the possibility of her potential!

I am gratified that Charmer has had the opportunity to show much more of what I saw way back then and that she is now viewed so universally favorably now here in the Yard.

I hope she continues to make more and more believers here as she shows what a remarkable talent she is.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The freshman she reminds me most of is the freshman Shea Ralph. Wasn’t Shea also #33? Versatile and seemingly unafraid. Similar skill set. Shea was maybe slightly stronger, but in general, great movement, good enough shooter, great fundamentals. Kind of ready from the get go and the best is still to come.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Caroline doesn’t feel the need to fiddle around with the ball in the paint once she gets it. She’s very decisive and knows what she’s going to do before she catches the ball. Once she has it, the ball goes up and (usually) in. No power dribbles, no weird little fake passes - just up and in.

That’s not to say she won’t do a ball fake (making a motion as though she’s going to shoot, draw the defense, then go by them) - she does - but under the basket, she‘s all business.

Reaction Score
On December 21st of last year I started a thread titled "Caroline Ducharme, an upgrade at No. 33?" suggesting that I saw aspects of her game and potential that to me compared favorably to the great KLS at a comparable point in her first season. Well I certainly got a lot of grief for even raising the possibility of her potential!

I am gratified that Charmer has had the opportunity to show much more of what I saw way back then and that she is now viewed so universally favorably now here in the Yard.

I hope she continues to make more and more believers here as she shows what a remarkable talent she is.
Your original post did not refer to KLS as "great", in fact it took on more of a negative vibe as you pointed all the things you believe Katie Lou didn't do as a freshman as compared in your eyes to what Caroline had done by late December. One of the things KLS did not do was rebound. On that team that wasn't her role, nor was it basically throughout her entire career here. Nor was it her role to drive the lane, but she certainly could and can do that. What you forgot in your overall comparison, was to compare the teams and the greatness or lack thereof the players on them. Katie Lou has always been one of my favorites and I found your post disrespectful of a UConn great. No one is a bigger fan of Caroline Ducharme than me, and I have said previously I expect her name to be on the wall before her career here is said and done. So, not that it will mean anything to you, I do support your ability to see the potential greatness (early in the season) in Caroline Ducharme.

Reaction Score
I like all the attributes previously stated, but there is another which she can attain but needs a little work on it first. This is her defense. She blocks shots, she gets rebounds, all true, but I think right now her weakness on D is that her opponent often seems able to get past her. I don't know if she has to develop quicker feet (is this possible?), or if she needs to alter her initial position when guarding someone so she can move faster to still stay between them and the basket. A lot of really good defenders seem to stand a little sideways to their opponent so they can move quickly at least in one direction. Paige, for example, is an exceptional defender (what can't she do?) and seems to anticipate and move with her opponent to always be in their way. A lot of the time Caroline is able to make up for her opponent getting past her by blocking their shot, but usually this is against someone much shorter than her.

Caroline is a great player, I always wanted her in the game early in the season so she could get acclimated, and look what has resulted. She is someone whose defense could improve and most likely will. What an asset for the team!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom