What makes Caroline special? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What makes Caroline special?

Reaction Score
One of the few positives coming out of this challenging season is the play of Caroline D.
The minutes she is playing, would never have materialized without the injuries. Other than Paige last year, she has been one of the most impressive freshman we have had in awhile.
It's often said that she moves well without the ball. I think it's more than that.
Her hands are excellent, when she posts down low, even if she is covered, she catches the ball and puts the ball in the basket, more often than not.
Also, she can make baskets while she is moving...this is not common. Coming off screens, driving to the basket, pulling up....she doesn't have to be set to score......this is really a skill most don't have ( Paige exception)
With an improvement in her "handle", this player has a really high ceiling.
Her footwork for a big player might be the best I’ve ever seen.

Reaction Score
I was driving on I-84 westbound near Hartford this afternoon, and I saw an electronic billboard promoting UConn basketball (men and women). There was a picture of a male player whom I didn't recognize (only got a quick glance while driving), but the photo for the women's team was of Caroline (unmistakable).

I guess, as long as Paige is not playing, Caroline is now the marketing face of UConn women's basketball.
I wish a whole career of NILs for her.

Reaction Score
It’s the all-roundness of her game that is so impressive. She rebounds, blocks shots, isn’t afraid to go inside, passes well, dribbles the ball upcourt when necessary, and her spin move near the basket is lethal. I think on her deep 3’s she needs a little more space than she’s been getting. She’s rushing her deep shots a little. When Paige returns she’ll get the ball more frequently when she’s open. Azzi gave us a preview of her game last night. It’s really going to be fun when Paige returns.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just a question? I know Morrow is so impressive she will lock up all Big East awards but I would be curious about how she would be looked on for National Awards I think NFOY is in the bag but would she be a first team AA? 2nd team?

And the reason I put this in the Caroline thread is to get opinions on whether Caroline if she continues her level of play may sneak (Perfect word for Caroline) into AA consideration (3rd team or even higher). A high quality game against TN would certainly help.

I think the Buzz of the DePaul game winner may push her into the national spotlight somewhat similar to Paige and TN last year

I really do not have a great understanding of the current landscape of players from other teams

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Caroline finishes around the basket thats something many dont do. She doesnt think about her shot, she creates and finds a way to score. With Azzi back Caroline wont be forced to shoot quickly. She will be able to develop poise. When Paige comes back she will be even better. Just luv it when things get tight she wants to ball and knows how to score. She Makes It Happen.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Caroline finishes around the basket thats something many dont do. She doesnt think about her shot, she creates and finds a way to score.
She's a baller. Not the same player but she has a Taurasi mindset.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She's a baller. Not the same player but she has a Taurasi mindset.
In one of her recruiting interviews, she mentioned she admires Diana.

Reaction Score
The question was what makes Caroline special. I think nature makes Caroline special she’s a natural if she had gone straight up with a regular layup Morrow with a block that but no she steps back and goes glass maybe she’s a throwback but she appears to be all of the things everyone has said and it all seems so natural. So much fun to watch

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I've noted that many of the posts refer to Caroline's constantly moving.

I would like to add that. Yes Caroline is in constant motion but her movement is with purpose. She is not running around because someone said to. It seems to me that her initial movement is to present herself to receive a pass to score or to allow a pressured ball handler to recover and reset.

If Caroline doesn't get a pass or handoff she continues to outside of the 3 point line at what point she will turn and repeat her cut or move around the line then cut across from a different angle, again making herself available for a pass.

I'm not real sure but I think that she also diverts her movement to set a screen, pick, or slow a defender whenever she sees a play developing.

I'm seeing Caroline as a very intelligent player. That also has the physical ability to create what she sees in her head.

I've also noted the comparison of other players even including Larry Bird. I can see what these BYers see. However the player I see the most similarities to how they play the game is Sabrina Ionescu.

Just my 5¢ openion.

Reaction Score
I wish a whole career of NILs for her.
She's got an agent. Should be time soon for a signing. She'd be a good value. She doesn't have the social media presence of Paige or Azzi though, which is a big factor. We should follow her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom