What Last Season taught us | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Last Season taught us

Reaction Score
We may have had home turf advantage as you put it, but it was certainly not an easy game ( one can argue that it was the most arduous Elite 8 game in UCONN history and perhaps the greatest Elite 8 women's game ever) and therefore whether home or away, not an easy route. For a route to the NC game, I'll take Creighton and Louisville last year and an extra days rest over NC State and Stanford any day of the week.
If we played the #2 seed on their homecourt in a regional final how would that be viewed ? The constant of all of this though is that SC beat both Nc State & Stanford as well last year so i dont think the path played any major difference in the outcome. SC was the best team last season it was there's to lose . This year people will be prepared for them hopefully .

Reaction Score
To overcome what we were forced to overcome last season was unbelievable. It seemed like every day we were dealt another punch. It made us mentally stronger and mentally tuff. Attitude wise it made us resilient and it showed in the NCAAs. UConn was in the toughest bracket having to face Indiana NC State and Stanford. UConn was still recovering from injuries and numerous starting lineups that seemed to change each game. More significant was loosing starters. We overcame all that and hobbled into the NCAAs facing the toughest teams in the tourney. We found a way to win. The battle scars we gained from last season are the motivation for this season. The battle scars we learned to overcome taught us how to win when the chips were down. I feel that UConns talent this season is better then last season. The biggest difference in the talent is, lack of experience at the UConn level.

Geno will start the season with his experienced players. Those players bring experience playing with each other which correlates into team chemistry. The first players off the bench imo will be Aubrey (depending on her health), Amari and Lou. The starters will be Nika Azzi Caroline Edwards and Dorka. These 5 know how to play together and have chemistry. If Aubrey is healthy and can play close to where she was before going down would be a huge plus. Amari I see being used at the top of the key dishing passes to cutters with the ability to hit the outside shot. Lou until proven otherwise is instance offense.

A surprise late in the season was the addition of Ines She is a true point guard and she will give Nika a break. Although Azzi can play the point I believe Geno will use her shooting skills and wont want to take away from that. That doesnt mean he wont experiment with Azzi at the point. We dont know much about Ines but early on we should get a good idea of how she will fit in. For Ice and Ayanna the door is wide open for playtime. The question is how fast will they develop. Hopefully earlier in the season then later. They are both top 5 prospects and that tells me they could have an immediate impact.

Our go to players are Azzi and Caroline. Both can create their own shot and both are clutch under pressure. They both have the confidence and know how to get a basket when we need it. Height will not be a problem this season however that height needs to gain experience and they will. We have a tuff early schedule facing Texas then NC State. Both games will tell us alot about where we are and what we need to improve on. I think from reading some of the posts many fans arent sure what to expect this season due to injuries, and our newbies who are on the roster for the first time. Questions I read about are who is healthy and can they go 40 minutes. How soon with Lou Ice Patterson and Ines be ready to step up and can they contribute early on. Lets face it Texas and NC State could be tuff however Lou played well in the NCAAs against Texas last season. Lou may be the difference.

Its a year later Husky fans. We were really tested in every way last season and it didnt get easier later in the season. We wont have Paige but we will have Azzi and Caroline and we do have a better roster. You may be a little nervous early on this season and rightfully so. Texas and NC State are tuff, Iowa and ND wont be easy either. I have a feeling we will find away to win just like we did last season.
As always, I love your optimism, and your analysis seems right on. BUT you wrote:
I feel that UConns talent this season is better then last season.
Uh, not sure that can be true w/out Paige. You spoke about the resurgence of the team especially in the lead-up to the title game. If Paige had not been on the court and had not done what she did, that resurgence would have been short lived. I think the run to the NC game featured the best sequence of games I can ever remember at UConn; I watched them all summer. That's on Paige.
The question isn't what the Huskies have. The question is how what they have can compensate w/out Paige.

Reaction Score
I like where your thinking goes here. I'm struck by the way you put it and have been reflecting that we were incredibly lucky Dorka decided to return this year. Our front court is much stronger because of it. She and Amari can cover the high post passing we used to get from Liv, and Dorka has the same low post skills Liv had, and both of them are better midrange (and longer) shooters than Liv. Amari still needs to show she can work down there. If Dorka isn't tentative because of the wrist injury, she can be the key.
They may have better offensive skills but sadly neither of them can replace ONO's passing or shot blocking abilities ...........hopefully UConn can overcome those deficiencies in other ways.........

Reaction Score
They may have better offensive skills but sadly neither of them can replace ONO's passing or shot blocking abilities ...........hopefully UConn can overcome those deficiencies in other ways.........
I disagree about the passing -- Dorka's assist numbers are comparable though a little lower than Liv's As a shot blocker she's not nearly as efficient.

Reaction Score
To overcome what we were forced to overcome last season was unbelievable. It seemed like every day we were dealt another punch. It made us mentally stronger and mentally tuff. Attitude wise it made us resilient and it showed in the NCAAs. UConn was in the toughest bracket having to face Indiana NC State and Stanford. UConn was still recovering from injuries and numerous starting lineups that seemed to change each game. More significant was loosing starters. We overcame all that and hobbled into the NCAAs facing the toughest teams in the tourney. We found a way to win. The battle scars we gained from last season are the motivation for this season. The battle scars we learned to overcome taught us how to win when the chips were down. I feel that UConns talent this season is better then last season. The biggest difference in the talent is, lack of experience at the UConn level.

Geno will start the season with his experienced players. Those players bring experience playing with each other which correlates into team chemistry. The first players off the bench imo will be Aubrey (depending on her health), Amari and Lou. The starters will be Nika Azzi Caroline Edwards and Dorka. These 5 know how to play together and have chemistry. If Aubrey is healthy and can play close to where she was before going down would be a huge plus. Amari I see being used at the top of the key dishing passes to cutters with the ability to hit the outside shot. Lou until proven otherwise is instance offense.

A surprise late in the season was the addition of Ines She is a true point guard and she will give Nika a break. Although Azzi can play the point I believe Geno will use her shooting skills and wont want to take away from that. That doesnt mean he wont experiment with Azzi at the point. We dont know much about Ines but early on we should get a good idea of how she will fit in. For Ice and Ayanna the door is wide open for playtime. The question is how fast will they develop. Hopefully earlier in the season then later. They are both top 5 prospects and that tells me they could have an immediate impact.

Our go to players are Azzi and Caroline. Both can create their own shot and both are clutch under pressure. They both have the confidence and know how to get a basket when we need it. Height will not be a problem this season however that height needs to gain experience and they will. We have a tuff early schedule facing Texas then NC State. Both games will tell us alot about where we are and what we need to improve on. I think from reading some of the posts many fans arent sure what to expect this season due to injuries, and our newbies who are on the roster for the first time. Questions I read about are who is healthy and can they go 40 minutes. How soon with Lou Ice Patterson and Ines be ready to step up and can they contribute early on. Lets face it Texas and NC State could be tuff however Lou played well in the NCAAs against Texas last season. Lou may be the difference.

Its a year later Husky fans. We were really tested in every way last season and it didnt get easier later in the season. We wont have Paige but we will have Azzi and Caroline and we do have a better roster. You may be a little nervous early on this season and rightfully so. Texas and NC State are tuff, Iowa and ND wont be easy either. I have a feeling we will find away to win just like we did last season.
TonyC. Wonderful.

Reaction Score

TonyC. Wonderful.

Reaction Score

TonyC. Wonderful.

Reaction Score

TonyC. Wonderful.

Reaction Score
My concern for the season is lack of experience. Yes, Dorka and Lou are grad students but the don’t have 3 years in the UConn system like a true incoming senior would. With the exceptions of perhaps Taurasi and Maya Moore, UConn teams that were great have been lead by juniors and seniors. (You might argue that Stewie led as a freshman but she also benefited from Baylor losing to Louisville that year.) Yes, Paige had a phenomenal freshman year, but didn’t have a huge supporting cast. I think we are still paying the price for recruiting misses for the senior class. Without Paige and uncertainty about how much Azzi/Aubrey/Caroline have recovered, I’m not sure about how good this team will be. I’m sky high on Aaliyah/Nika and hopeful for everyone else. My expectations are tempered by the fact that it’s a lot to slot in 4 new players and expect it to work smoothly.

Reaction Score
TonyC makes a very strong case. This is a solid team coached by the best HC in the history of WBB. If everyone stays reasonably healthy, does anyone really doubt that the Huskies can make yet another run at a championship?
Healthy is in the beholder, i.e., the medico's and fans. If Uconn has some "injuries" that is nearly normal. Abnormal, appears to be having no injuries.
So, if Uconn can escape without "major contributors" getting injured I have belief this team will get to the FF and with luck (Geno says it take LUCK to get there) the NC--now winning it all is based strongly on great luck of the draw.
I've said this often: Personally, for me, I don't need an NC to have a great season.
For the kids, I want that NC, they work that hard.

Reaction Score
You guys a pretty optimistic considering....all we've lost.

We lost 3 starters. Our leader, our AA.
We lost 1, 2, 5, 6 leading scorers. 60% of scoring
We lost 1, 2, 4, 5 leading assisters 58% of assists
We lost 1, 4, 5, 6 leading rebounder, 48% of rebounds

We have 4 new players, 36%.
3 players coming back from injury.

Might want to see how things go before we get too ahead of ourselves.
According to GENO in past seasons that the team dominated the opposition was the team did not enter each game not believing they could lose. The thoughts were by how much they were going to win. That was the team backbone and heart. I don't remember who, but one of his player said " if you think you might lose, you might". From what they went through with all the injuries and still made it to the FINAL, I believe that their old feeling of not losing is back again. I believe they have the players offensively and defensively to go all the way. I have posted before that starting each new season, I always think positive of each and every player and their ability to control the game and find a way to win. They have that kind of team this year! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
I'm sure Geno saw that he needed more bulk in the front line years ago. Ergo Ice and Ayanna. Both appear to be in direct response to South Carolina. We almost always have the finesse and solid defense but you can't get crushed on the boards and expect to win. From looking at the talent coming out last year, Ice and Ayanna are 2 of the best available for sure.

Reaction Score
I disagree about the passing -- Dorka's assist numbers are comparable though a little lower than Liv's As a shot blocker she's not nearly as efficient.
ONO grew to become quite an accomplished passer during her time at UConn, actually leading the team in assists last season..........I have yet to see the equivalent passing skills from Juhasz but I hope she improves in that area too........

Reaction Score
The NC was a really troubling game for Uconn fans. We could have won the game if a couple aspects of our play was different. To keep it close, CW needed to score. She got no points. To win, Azzi needed to score big.. She got three points. EW turned the ball over several times which was unusal. Caroline also made a couple big turnovers leading to Carolina fast breaks and scores. Nobody ran with Henderson. Also, Uconn didn't seem to have a plan for the game. They were familiar with S. Carolina because they'd played them earlier in the year. Also, in 2021 they beat S. Carolina, i.e., the same team they lost to in the Nattie. ( Review the 2021 game and Uconn held its own, and won, against the same team. What was the plan to get CW into the game? What was the plan to stop, or slow down Boston? Seems like everyone knew the game was to be won or lost on the boards.....what was the plan, knowing that S. Carolina had dominated on the boards most of the year against opponents? S.Carolina is not a great shooting team from the perimeter. Yet, Uconn unusually came out flat, tired and had nothing special planned for the Gamecocks. Loss was the result.

Reaction Score
The NC was a really troubling game for Uconn fans. We could have won the game if a couple aspects of our play was different. To keep it close, CW needed to score. She got no points. To win, Azzi needed to score big.. She got three points. EW turned the ball over several times which was unusal. Caroline also made a couple big turnovers leading to Carolina fast breaks and scores. Nobody ran with Henderson. Also, Uconn didn't seem to have a plan for the game. They were familiar with S. Carolina because they'd played them earlier in the year. Also, in 2021 they beat S. Carolina, i.e., the same team they lost to in the Nattie. ( Review the 2021 game and Uconn held its own, and won, against the same team. What was the plan to get CW into the game? What was the plan to stop, or slow down Boston? Seems like everyone knew the game was to be won or lost on the boards.....what was the plan, knowing that S. Carolina had dominated on the boards most of the year against opponents? S.Carolina is not a great shooting team from the perimeter. Yet, Uconn unusually came out flat, tired and had nothing special planned for the Gamecocks. Loss was the result.
There have been so many of these posts, and I get the fascination with these questions. But some of the answers are painfully, tediously obvious -- we were not playing at full strength. No Dorka (therefore overly foul conscious on the frontline), Azzi and Caroline not at 100%, and two tons of pressure on Evina and Christyn. Finally, wobbly Paige was not able to carry the team any further on her shoulders.

I'm not making excuses, and I could wish the seniors had been in a position to contribute more, but they weren't This is old news, and largely irrelevant to the upcoming season. The seniors are gone, the front line has lots of depth now, the back court is deep, and most important of all, Azzi and Caroline look to be at 100%. We lost Paige for another season, which is cataclysmic. But I think our sophomores are in a much better position to carry the load she carried than they were last season.

If your point in this post is that Geno and CD screwed up -- your final remarks suggest this -- I think you are very much mistaken. They took a weakened, inexperienced squad to the NC -- that was the most awesome coaching job I can remember. I will remember this season as the one where everyone overachieved. They ran out of gas in the NC, but that doesn't trouble me, even if I find it painful to watch replays of that game.

Reaction Score
There have been so many of these posts, and I get the fascination with these questions. But some of the answers are painfully, tediously obvious -- we were not playing at full strength. No Dorka (therefore overly foul conscious on the frontline), Azzi and Caroline not at 100%, and two tons of pressure on Evina and Christyn. Finally, wobbly Paige was not able to carry the team any further on her shoulders.

I'm not making excuses, and I could wish the seniors had been in a position to contribute more, but they weren't This is old news, and largely irrelevant to the upcoming season. The seniors are gone, the front line has lots of depth now, the back court is deep, and most important of all, Azzi and Caroline look to be at 100%. We lost Paige for another season, which is cataclysmic. But I think our sophomores are in a much better position to carry the load she carried than they were last season.

If your point in this post is that Geno and CD screwed up -- your final remarks suggest this -- I think you are very much mistaken. They took a weakened, inexperienced squad to the NC -- that was the most awesome coaching job I can remember. I will remember this season as the one where everyone overachieved. They ran out of gas in the NC, but that doesn't trouble me, even if I find it painful to watch replays of that game.

I believe Liv was injured as well.

Reaction Score
I agree Dorka could have made a good difference , not sure it would have change the results as im currently watching the first matchup with SC last season where Dorka did play . Their defense literally had us in a frenzy in both games with the scoring droughts that changed the game both times. We need scorers against them someone will have to step up and say not tonight cocky birds lol .
Dorka also had a bandage on her right hand that game. She's right handed and it was her 3rd game. And Edwards was a much, much, much better player in the 2nd half of the year than 1st half. And Liv was playing hurt with I believe the groin injury in the 2nd game.

I'd like to also add that after the IU game in S16, I believe the IU coach remarked that she was surprised how physical UCONN was. And Stanford Coach Tara V spoke in the postgame how physical Liv was and Edwards. They were in their best form. The title game, Liv was hurt. There's no Dorka. They had to have Evina guard Boston at times. With all that was missing ofc they were going to get crushed in the paint to a certain high level.

With Liv and Edwards rounding in peak form and if we had a healthy Dorka, it would have been a nice revolving 3 bigs for 2 positions. Then Evina and Caroline could have been small forwards . While UCONN wouldn't have won the battle of the boards - this lineup would have competed much better in the paint than what UCONN ultimately had happen with no Dorka and an ailing Liv that could only play 24 minutes because she was hurt.

Reaction Score
I agree Dorka could have made a good difference , not sure it would have change the results as im currently watching the first matchup with SC last season where Dorka did play . Their defense literally had us in a frenzy in both games with the scoring droughts that changed the game both times. We need scorers against them someone will have to step up and say not tonight cocky birds lol .

All teams have weaknesses. It so happens SC can cover their weakness (outside shooting) with their strength(offensive rebounding). This version of SC is a bad matchup for UConn. UConn is a solid rebounding team, but SC is elite. UConn also will struggle against SC because they lack shot creators who can beat SC off the dribble and create their own shot in a half court set. Last season UConn had Paige who was that and then some. Due to her heroics her freshmen year and last season's matchup being cancelled, UConn would be on a 5-game losing streak to this version of SC. If UConn wants to hoist number 12, they will need someone who matches up better with SC to knock them off. I think after this season UConn will be the favorite once again with a healthy Paige and some shot creators in your upcoming classes.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Geno saw that he needed more bulk in the front line years ago. Ergo Ice and Ayanna. Both appear to be in direct response to South Carolina. We almost always have the finesse and solid defense but you can't get crushed on the boards and expect to win. From looking at the talent coming out last year, Ice and Ayanna are 2 of the best available for sure.
Watkins ?

Reaction Score

I agree, the fact that UConn was not at full strength has been covered over and over. Let me add one more aspect. Players want to "leave it all on the court". UConn did in the path leading up to the NC. That might have had something to do with coming out flat from the opening tip of the NC game. Maybe there wasn't much left in the tank physically, mentally or emotionally. Solution? Dominate right up to the NC game.

Reaction Score
Dorka also had a bandage on her right hand that game. She's right handed and it was her 3rd game. And Edwards was a much, much, much better player in the 2nd half of the year than 1st half. And Liv was playing hurt with I believe the groin injury in the 2nd game.

I'd like to also add that after the IU game in S16, I believe the IU coach remarked that she was surprised how physical UCONN was. And Stanford Coach Tara V spoke in the postgame how physical Liv was and Edwards. They were in their best form. The title game, Liv was hurt. There's no Dorka. They had to have Evina guard Boston at times. With all that was missing ofc they were going to get crushed in the paint to a certain high level.

With Liv and Edwards rounding in peak form and if we had a healthy Dorka, it would have been a nice revolving 3 bigs for 2 positions. Then Evina and Caroline could have been small forwards . While UCONN wouldn't have won the battle of the boards - this lineup would have competed much better in the paint than what UCONN ultimately had happen with no Dorka and an ailing Liv that could only play 24 minutes because she was hurt.
Sounds like a bunch of disclaimers and what ifs . Name dropping comments from Tara or IU makes no difference when it comes to SC. Overall we got out physicaled , out played , out hustled with SC both games . That has to change this season because every player in college gets dinged up or has some type of lingering injury during their career at some point . If it affects team results they should not play if they play then it should not matter or be a talking point . Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
If we are to take the question, "What last season taught us?" seriously, then we must contemplate the truth. WFFL stated it clearly, we got out physicaled, out played, out hustled with SC both games. Our comments shouldn't be any different for the women's game than for the men's game. We should call a spade, a spade. Is it fair and enough to say, "oh we were not up to full strength, or so and so was not up to 100%, they were only freshman"?
I agree that criticism of last years NC game will not help us this year, but why not dissect the game and identify the problems? Wouldn't we do that if it were mens Kansas, N. Carolina or Duke?

Reaction Score
WFFL, agree with you. Auriemma knew S.C. had the better team and he made no excuses, yet some choose if and buts. This season's team appears to be more serious, mature and talented. They will match up well against the gamecocks.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a bunch of disclaimers and what ifs . Name dropping comments from Tara or IU makes no difference when it comes to SC. Overall we got out physicaled , out played , out hustled with SC both games . That has to change this season because every player in college gets dinged up or has some type of lingering injury during their career at some point . If it affects team results they should not play if they play then it should not matter or be a talking point . Just my opinion.
Whatever. Telling a fact of what the IU coach said and Stanford coach said - odd you call it "name dropping" yet I call it a fact that they said. I have no problem "name dropping" a fact from a qualified source. IMO you are being way too disingenuous lumping the UCONN injuries with every other team. Players being unable to play their normal minutes they would without a doubt play in a title game is a lot different than how you characterize the injuries as “dinged up.” And the speaking of being outhustled; amazing how much it would appear that Boston would “outhustle” Evina Westbrook while Evina was forced to guard her. Do we question Evina’s “hustle” for not being able to keep Boston off the boards and stopping her in the low post etc? Or for example question that we have to double team more with Evina vs Boston thus leaving a player more open (for a wide open jumper or ORebound), and for longer stretches of the game?

There are “degrees of injuries/being dinged up.” Not all are the same.

Anyway --I’m done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom