What Last Season taught us | The Boneyard

What Last Season taught us

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
To overcome what we were forced to overcome last season was unbelievable. It seemed like every day we were dealt another punch. It made us mentally stronger and mentally tuff. Attitude wise it made us resilient and it showed in the NCAAs. UConn was in the toughest bracket having to face Indiana NC State and Stanford. UConn was still recovering from injuries and numerous starting lineups that seemed to change each game. More significant was loosing starters. We overcame all that and hobbled into the NCAAs facing the toughest teams in the tourney. We found a way to win. The battle scars we gained from last season are the motivation for this season. The battle scars we learned to overcome taught us how to win when the chips were down. I feel that UConns talent this season is better then last season. The biggest difference in the talent is, lack of experience at the UConn level.

Geno will start the season with his experienced players. Those players bring experience playing with each other which correlates into team chemistry. The first players off the bench imo will be Aubrey (depending on her health), Amari and Lou. The starters will be Nika Azzi Caroline Edwards and Dorka. These 5 know how to play together and have chemistry. If Aubrey is healthy and can play close to where she was before going down would be a huge plus. Amari I see being used at the top of the key dishing passes to cutters with the ability to hit the outside shot. Lou until proven otherwise is instance offense.

A surprise late in the season was the addition of Ines She is a true point guard and she will give Nika a break. Although Azzi can play the point I believe Geno will use her shooting skills and wont want to take away from that. That doesnt mean he wont experiment with Azzi at the point. We dont know much about Ines but early on we should get a good idea of how she will fit in. For Ice and Ayanna the door is wide open for playtime. The question is how fast will they develop. Hopefully earlier in the season then later. They are both top 5 prospects and that tells me they could have an immediate impact.

Our go to players are Azzi and Caroline. Both can create their own shot and both are clutch under pressure. They both have the confidence and know how to get a basket when we need it. Height will not be a problem this season however that height needs to gain experience and they will. We have a tuff early schedule facing Texas then NC State. Both games will tell us alot about where we are and what we need to improve on. I think from reading some of the posts many fans arent sure what to expect this season due to injuries, and our newbies who are on the roster for the first time. Questions I read about are who is healthy and can they go 40 minutes. How soon with Lou Ice Patterson and Ines be ready to step up and can they contribute early on. Lets face it Texas and NC State could be tuff however Lou played well in the NCAAs against Texas last season. Lou may be the difference.

Its a year later Husky fans. We were really tested in every way last season and it didnt get easier later in the season. We wont have Paige but we will have Azzi and Caroline and we do have a better roster. You may be a little nervous early on this season and rightfully so. Texas and NC State are tuff, Iowa and ND wont be easy either. I have a feeling we will find away to win just like we did last season.

Reaction Score
Geno will start the season with his experienced players. Those players bring experience playing with each other which correlates into team chemistry. The first players off the bench imo will be Aubrey (depending on her health), Amari and Lou. The starters will be Nika Azzi Caroline Edwards and Dorka. These 5 know how to play together and have chemistry. If Aubrey is healthy and can play close to where she was before going down would be a huge plus. Amari I see being used at the top of the key dishing passes to cutters with the ability to hit the outside shot. Lou until proven otherwise is instance offense.
I like where your thinking goes here. I'm struck by the way you put it and have been reflecting that we were incredibly lucky Dorka decided to return this year. Our front court is much stronger because of it. She and Amari can cover the high post passing we used to get from Liv, and Dorka has the same low post skills Liv had, and both of them are better midrange (and longer) shooters than Liv. Amari still needs to show she can work down there. If Dorka isn't tentative because of the wrist injury, she can be the key.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
TonyC makes a very strong case. This is a solid team coached by the best HC in the history of WBB. If everyone stays reasonably healthy, does anyone really doubt that the Huskies can make yet another run at a championship?

Reaction Score
Another big difference from last season... the team had to react on short notice to the loss of key players, seemingly every week, including the loss of Paige for an extended time. This year there will be about 3 months to make the adjustments to Paige-less BB, for others to step into the void, for the Team to come together as one. I see a really good season ahead... Azzi and Caroline bringing back memories of KLS and Phee... 20+ points each, each game is a nice place to start.

Go Huskies

Reaction Score
This is a more talented team than last season, totally different in their skill level. Dorka is what she is, but the power of this team will be, Fudd, Edwards, Patterson, Ducharme, Senechal, Griffin and perhaps Brady.

Reaction Score
Another big difference from last season... the team had to react on short notice to the loss of key players, seemingly every week, including the loss of Paige for an extended time.
Exactly. The losses to Georgia Tech and Oregon were directly attributable to last second scratches to the lineup. I’d argue that the NC game loss is at least in part due to this. With Dorka in the lineup, and a healthy Azzi — not mention a healthy Caroline — that would have been a much closer game.

I say, bring the season on already!

Reaction Score
I agree that this is a very talented group of players that can play as team. There is some new untested talent that will have an opportunity perform within the UConn system.

I prefer to keep my expectations low in the beginning of this season. Quite a few people mention the contribution of Aubrey. As one of many who have had serious spinal surgery, I can say that a 100 per cent recovery is doubtful. She is young and if she has taken the correct recovery actions she may be fluid enough to make a solid contribution. I am hopeful but measured by experience.

Just a note on all of this, given this talent, UConn should be one of the top 15 teams in the US. With the coaching staff they could easily emerge as one of the top 5 by the tourney. So take if from there.

Reaction Score
Just rewatched the title game versus SC and man they freaking murdered us on the offensive glass from beginning to finish . At one point they had 16 2nd chance points to 0 . That will be the biggest need/room for improvement if were expecting to contend for a title. The way their defense stifled us did not make things any better on that end . We need multiple players that can take over and create their own shot . That Title game it was only paige and a little of EW creating their own.

Reaction Score
Exactly. The losses to Georgia Tech and Oregon were directly attributable to last second scratches to the lineup. I’d argue that the NC game loss is at least in part due to this. With Dorka in the lineup, and a healthy Azzi — not mention a healthy Caroline — that would have been a much closer game.

I say, bring the season on already!

And Villanova

Reaction Score
The way their defense stifled us did not make things any better on that end . We need multiple players that can take over and create their own shot . That Title game it was only paige and a little of EW creating their own.
Yup. Their defense could stifle us because Paige and Evina were the only options. That wouldn’t have worked two weeks earlier.

Reaction Score
Just rewatched the title game versus SC and man they freaking murdered us on the offensive glass from beginning to finish . At one point they had 16 2nd chance points to 0 . That will be the biggest need/room for improvement if were expecting to contend for a title. The way their defense stifled us did not make things any better on that end . We need multiple players that can take over and create their own shot . That Title game it was only paige and a little of EW creating their own.
Exactly why I'm hoping that the addition of Ice and Ayanna, plus Aaliyah having another year of experience, will help convert the team into a take it to them power team, or at least show a more physical presence. Get the other team in foul trouble- if a UConn post gets a pass down low, go over or through the defender, especially if you immediately go offensive after the pass. Chances are the ref will call foul on the defender.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You guys a pretty optimistic considering....all we've lost.

We lost 3 starters. Our leader, our AA.
We lost 1, 2, 5, 6 leading scorers. 60% of scoring
We lost 1, 2, 4, 5 leading assisters 58% of assists
We lost 1, 4, 5, 6 leading rebounder, 48% of rebounds

We have 4 new players, 36%.
3 players coming back from injury.

Might want to see how things go before we get too ahead of ourselves.

Reaction Score

The 2016-2017 team lost more than that, but had Gabby, Kia, Lou and Phee who all improved tremendously.

This team (22-23’) is as talented, probably more in terms of depth.

Reaction Score
The 2016-2017 team lost more than that, but had Gabby, Kia, Lou and Phee who all improved tremendously.

This team (22-23’) is as talented, probably more in terms of depth.
yup. That team lost the GOAT. Maybe Paige is hypothetically comparable to Stewie in abstract terms. But we've only ever had Paige as a freshman.

Reaction Score

This is where they really missed Dorka. I know she's back but I want to see her teammates crashing the boards right along with her.

Reaction Score
Agreed with your points except that Caroline had nine points from off the bench, second only to Paige, and really seemed the only one other than Paige not intimidated by Boston & Co. While shooting 4 of 8, she had two of her layups blocked by Aliyah, but at least she took it to the Gamecocks' defense.

I expect we'll see much more of that from Caroline, and hopefully Azzi, Lou and maybe Nika, as this season progresses. With the likelihood that our rebounding will be better, it'll be a good formula for lots of points scored in the paint to complement the Huskies' perimeter game.

Thanks to Tony C. for his typically optimistic, thoughtful post.

Reaction Score
A lot of strong points Tony but I have to add Dorka as a go to player on this year's team as she was at OSU. She can score from all over the court and at 6'5" and solid she is a strong post figure and a 5th year player. In fact, at times Geno may run the offense through her especially if he uses the high-low post scheme.

Also, although I would not call her a go to player just yet, I think many of us BYers have a crystallized and erroneous perception of Aaliyah offensively. I was horrified at her development two summers ago. She was actually less developed than when her freshman season ended. That will not be the case this year and if she bumps up only 15% on offense over where she was at the end of the 2022 campaign she will be a very difficult out. Her athleticism is virtually unique. A baby jumper, a couple of Kevin McHale back to the basket moves, and a mini fake left- drive right move and it's a new player. Ok so maybe 25%, but it's coming.

As to the NC game, I have long made peace with that game. We were a bruised and tired team with a tortuous path as you point out whereas our opponent had a relatively easy route. As I said repeatedly, if Boston was coming back from a fractured leg and surgery and their other big was out with a broken wrist, and they had 1 less days rest like we had, and had to beat NC State and Stanford consecutively, what is the result? Hey, it's past history now. I've said it repeatedly but I think last year was Geno's finest coaching job, ever.

As was astutely pointed out above, this year we don't have an in season "no Paige" surprise. We don't have just reaction and confusion. Geno has had months to prepare and plan. No one is better with that kind of time.

Reaction Score
Last year's team with all the injuries, did something that UConn have not done in few years- made it to the championship game.

They made maitakes; but were not bothered by them and made many clutch defensives and offensive plays They were fearless in the really tough games. They were not playing afraid to lose.

This is going to carry forward this year with a healthier and better team, even without Paige, because it is the deepest team in UConn history.

It is adding strength where they need it- experienced guards. powerful forwards and healthy Aubry, Azzi and Caroline.

The question mark is Amari- can she contribute meaningful minutes against top teams by the end of the year.

If so, my bold perditions (which would even put TonyC to shame). are that Azzi will be Player of the Year and that UConn will dismantle SC in the championship final.

Reaction Score
Yup. Their defense could stifle us because Paige and Evina were the only options. That wouldn’t have worked two weeks earlier.
What was happening 2 weeks earlier ?

Reaction Score
This is where they really missed Dorka. I know she's back but I want to see her teammates crashing the boards right along with her.
I agree Dorka could have made a good difference , not sure it would have change the results as im currently watching the first matchup with SC last season where Dorka did play . Their defense literally had us in a frenzy in both games with the scoring droughts that changed the game both times. We need scorers against them someone will have to step up and say not tonight cocky birds lol .

Reaction Score
Agreed with your points except that Caroline had nine points from off the bench, second only to Paige, and really seemed the only one other than Paige not intimidated by Boston & Co. While shooting 4 of 8, she had two of her layups blocked by Aliyah, but at least she took it to the Gamecocks' defense.

I expect we'll see much more of that from Caroline, and hopefully Azzi, Lou and maybe Nika, as this season progresses. With the likelihood that our rebounding will be better, it'll be a good formula for lots of points scored in the paint to complement the Huskies' perimeter game.

Thanks to Tony C. for his typically optimistic, thoughtful post.
Totally agree , Caroline is fearless and goes 110% each game regardless of opponent . I was scratching my head wondering why she did not get more minutes that game her energy is what sparked the somewhat comeback run . Id like to see her take the next step this season as she is our most proven freshman from last season right now . Yes i know the love for Azzi but our best freshmen was Ducharme last year imo.

Reaction Score
A lot of strong points Tony but I have to add Dorka as a go to player on this year's team as she was at OSU. She can score from all over the court and at 6'5" and solid she is a strong post figure and a 5th year player. In fact, at times Geno may run the offense through her especially if he uses the high-low post scheme.

Also, although I would not call her a go to player just yet, I think many of us BYers have a crystallized and erroneous perception of Aaliyah offensively. I was horrified at her development two summers ago. She was actually less developed than when her freshman season ended. That will not be the case this year and if she bumps up only 15% on offense over where she was at the end of the 2022 campaign she will be a very difficult out. Her athleticism is virtually unique. A baby jumper, a couple of Kevin McHale back to the basket moves, and a mini fake left- drive right move and it's a new player. Ok so maybe 25%, but it's coming.

As to the NC game, I have long made peace with that game. We were a bruised and tired team with a tortuous path as you point out whereas our opponent had a relatively easy route. As I said repeatedly, if Boston was coming back from a fractured leg and surgery and their other big was out with a broken wrist, and they had 1 less days rest like we had, and had to beat NC State and Stanford consecutively, what is the result? Hey, it's past history now. I've said it repeatedly but I think last year was Geno's finest coaching job, ever.

As was astutely pointed out above, this year we don't have an in season "no Paige" surprise. We don't have just reaction and confusion. Geno has had months to prepare and plan. No one is better with that kind of time.
Some may argue we had an easier route playing the #1 seed on our home turf ........everything else i agree with but this part is a bit wavy lol .

Reaction Score

@meyers7 ... no argument with what you posted regarding what UCONN lost...but this is what happens almost every year to almost every team. The Seniors (the most experienced and normally get the most playing time thus racking up the most stats) graduate and someone comes in behind them to take advantage of the minutes and the scoring/assisting/rebounding opportunities. It is rare for freshmen and sophomores to be the top players on the team, so someone has to replace the departing seniors. Remember when Stewie, Moriah and Tuck graduated.... someone had to replace their production... and that was done pretty well by KLS, Phee, Gabby and Kia. Geno and Staff have a lot of time to prepare the returning players and new players to fill the gaps left by the departure of Olivia, Christin and Evina. It sure would project better with Paige, but we still have players ready to jump in to fill the voids left by the departures.

I am looking for an exciting season.

GO HUSKIES

Reaction Score
Some may argue we had an easier route playing the #1 seed on our home turf ........everything else i agree with but this part is a bit wavy lol .
We may have had home turf advantage as you put it, but it was certainly not an easy game ( one can argue that it was the most arduous Elite 8 game in UCONN history and perhaps the greatest Elite 8 women's game ever) and therefore whether home or away, not an easy route. For a route to the NC game, I'll take Creighton and Louisville last year and an extra days rest over NC State and Stanford any day of the week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom