OT: - What is your favorite Christmas movie? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: What is your favorite Christmas movie?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
A Christmas Story is in a class by itself! ( like the Uconn women.) No other movie comes close. There is a channel that shows that movie 24 hours straight on Christmas
wbad7.jpg

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Deeply saddened to see no love for this classic

5119AS8S7QL._SY445_.jpg

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It's neither explicitly Christmas-related nor a movie, but my favorite thing to watch at Christmas is Frosty the Snowman and Frosty Returns.

hqdefault.jpg

Reaction Score
Top Eight:

1. Home Alone- number one for reasons of nostalgia
2. Miracle on 34th St- black and white version only- the only "classic" I can stand
3. A Christmas Story- one of the most quotable movies of all time
4. Die Hard- With a Vengeance is the best of the series, but this is a close second- and yes it counts as a Christmas movie
5. Love Actually- was introduced to this by my fiancé- so many great storylines
6. Elf- one of Ferrell's best along with Anchorman and Stranger than Fiction
7. A Charlie Brown Christmas- awesome soundtrack and the best dancing of any movie, animated or live action
8. Christmas Vacation- my favorite of the National Lampoon series

Honorable Mention:

-Trading Places- not technically a Christmas movie because the plot does not revolve around it, but still one of the greatest Christmas scenes of all time- Winthorpe, dressed as Santa, drunkenly shoving fish into his suit
-Little Drummer Boy- this is in the "so bad it's good" category- everyone's favorite arrhythmic drumming misanthrope, Aaron, ponders life's questions, including the all important, "why can't the animals smile?"

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The Sound of Music. Not really a Christmas movie, but it's on almost every Christmas and one of my top 10 all time favorite movies. I've probably watched it 50 times...

Reaction Score
I had posted above 6 TV episodes featuring Christmas, four of which are mysteries.

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any Albert Campion, Inspector Morse or Inspector Alleyn episode where Christmas plays a role.
Ditto Miss marple. That is Joan Hickson as Miss Marple. I cannot watch other Miss Marples. Angela Lansbury is eggregiously bad as Miss marple in The Mirrror Crack'd.
Margaret Rutherford was worse.

There is a Maigret episode (1961) called A Crime for Christmas. BBC does not have the tape. In those days it was customary to write over the old tapes for new programs.
Neither Michael Gambon (1992-93) nor Rowan Atkinson (2016-17) acted in any Maigret episode featuring Christmas.

I am not particularly fond of the Adam Dagliesh mysteries because the DVDs are awful.
Not sure if Christmas plays a role in those stories.

Downton Abbey has two good specials featuring Christmas.
Series 2 Christmas special (2011) set in December 1919.
Series 6 Christmas special (2015) set in December 1925. This is also the concluding episode of the series.

You can get woodles of Christmas in the TV series Dickensian bringing to life characters from many Charles Dickens novels together in one Victorian London neighbourhood, as Inspector Bucket investigates the murder of Ebenezer Scrooge's partner Jacob Marley. I (and my son) enjoyed it immensely.

My favorite MASH Christmas episode is Death Takes a Holiday (Season 9, 1980). Perhaps someone will discuss the MASH Christmas episodes here. It is beyond my ability to perform this task adequately.

Reaction Score
Die Hard and Bad Santa.
Surprisingly, for me at least, I really like Bad Santa. It makes me laugh out loud. I especially love when they are looking for the house with "Jesus and his family" (searching for a nativity scene).

Reaction Score
I had posted above 6 TV episodes featuring Christmas, four of which are mysteries.

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of any Albert Campion, Inspector Morse or Inspector Alleyn episode where Christmas plays a role.
Ditto Miss marple. That is Joan Hickson as Miss Marple. I cannot watch other Miss Marples. Angela Lansbury is eggregiously bad as Miss marple in The Mirrror Crack'd.
Margaret Rutherford was worse.

There is a Maigret episode (1961) called A Crime for Christmas. BBC does not have the tape. In those days it was customary to write over the old tapes for new programs.
Neither Michael Gambon (1992-93) nor Rowan Atkinson (2016-17) acted in any Maigret episode featuring Christmas.

I am not particularly fond of the Adam Dagliesh mysteries because the DVDs are awful.
Not sure if Christmas plays a role in those stories.

Downton Abbey has two good specials featuring Christmas.
Series 2 Christmas special (2011) set in December 1919.
Series 6 Christmas special (2015) set in December 1925. This is also the concluding episode of the series.

You can get woodles of Christmas in the TV series Dickensian bringing to life characters from many Charles Dickens novels together in one Victorian London neighbourhood, as Inspector Bucket investigates the murder of Ebenezer Scrooge's partner Jacob Marley. I (and my son) enjoyed it immensely.

My favorite MASH Christmas episode is Death Takes a Holiday (Season 9, 1980). Perhaps someone will discuss the MASH Christmas episodes here. It is beyond my ability to perform this task adequately.
Christmas TV episode:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
More of a dual holiday film. Still a classic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom