OT: - What is your favorite Christmas movie? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: What is your favorite Christmas movie?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Love this film but somehow don't see it in the Christmas spirit...
Me either. Ain't it great? It's my revenge for having a birthday so close Christmas. "Wait until Christmas" was my least favorite Christmas movie.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The holidays are here. The networks are all showing Christmas movies old and new. The Hallmark channel has some of the best new Christmas movies on TV. We all have our favorites. What's yours, and why. Also, we might as well share our favorite Christmas song as well.

My all time favorite Christmas move is "It happened on 5th Avenue" (1947) Starring Victor Moore, Ann Harding, Don DeFore, Charlie Ruggles and Gale Storm.

it-happened-on-5th-avenue.jpg

My favorite Christmas song is "It's the most wonderful time of the year" sung by Johnny Mathis.
Those hallmark movies are nauseating.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Holiday, with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant. More mainstream, The Santa Clause with Tim Allen.

For TV, The Grinch and A Charlie Brown Christmas.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
White Christmas with Bing Crosby
The Santa Clause and The Santa Clause 2 with Tim Allen
A Christmas Carole - Allstair Simms version, George C Scott version
Its a Wonderful Life

Reaction Score
Remember the Night with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwick

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

This isn't your "favorite" though is it? I saw this when I was little in the theatre and ate it up. Had a chance to see it again last year and I thought "What the heck did I like about this?" - LOL

Reaction Score
1. The Nine Tailors (1973) - Ian Carmichael as Lord Peter Wimsey. This takes place after Christmas around New Year's eve.

2. The adventure of the blue carbuncle (1984) - Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes

3. Hercule Poirot's Christmas (1994) - David Suchet as Poirot

4. Murder under the mistletoe (2013) - Essie Davis as Phryne Fisher. In Australia, Christmas is celebrated in July.

5. All creatures great and small:

1983 Christmas special "The Lord God made them all"

The war is finally over and James returns to Darrowby to rejoin his partners, Siegfried and Tristan Farnon, in veterinary practice. James is having difficulty re-adjusting to civilian life however. His first call is to Mr. Biggins, who is the same old self and does nothing but complain about the vet's service. Relations are also strained with Helen: James is short-tempered with little Jimmy and can't seem to open up to her about his feelings. Mrs. Hall has passed on and Siegfried hires a new housekeeper, Mrs. Hubbard, whose culinary skills turn out to be somewhat lacking. Tristan, older but not necessarily wiser, is back with the bell ringers. Siegfried meets an old flame, Caroline, who returns to Darrowby after living in America.

1985 Christmas special

James comes to the help of Sister Rose when she finds a dog stuck in a bog. He takes quite a liking to the animal and takes it home as a pet even though he's determined that its quite ill, perhaps terminally so. Helen disapproves and thinks he's raising the children's hopes for no good reason. Tristan is now working for the Ministry of Agriculture. He's also taken up, again, with Debbie Mount but to do so has had to convince her abstemious father that he's now taken the pledge and is a regular churchgoer. Siegfried treats a cat that has taken up residence in Walt Barnett's scrapyard. Someone is clearly abusing the animal but the irascible Barnett seems to have taken quite a liking to it. With their wedding anniversary soon upon them, Helen is after James' haircut but he's downright afraid of the rather rough and tumble barber.

Summaries copied from IMDb

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While it’s not specifically a “Christmas movie” since it hits all the holidays, Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby & Fred Astaire has to be one of my favorites. While it’s a corny plot line, and Crosby and Astaire are not necessarily actors, the movie gave us some memorable songs, including White Christmas, and some of Astaire’s dance numbers are among his very best.

Holiday Inn spawned a sequel of sorts when White Christmas was made a few years later with Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Vera Allen. It was an even cornier movie, but once again the dance scenes with Vera Allen were fabulous.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just watched the “colorized” version of Miracle on 34th Street. To me the black and white version seemed more suitable. At least Kris Kringle’s beard was snow white instead of faded yellow white . Still one of my favorites for Christmas. By the way, Merry Christmas to all Boneyarders!

Reaction Score
The holidays are here. The networks are all showing Christmas movies old and new. The Hallmark channel has some of the best new Christmas movies on TV. We all have our favorites. What's yours, and why. Also, we might as well share our favorite Christmas song as well.

My all time favorite Christmas move is "It happened on 5th Avenue" (1947) Starring Victor Moore, Ann Harding, Don DeFore, Charlie Ruggles and Gale Storm.

it-happened-on-5th-avenue.jpg

My favorite Christmas song is "It's the most wonderful time of the year" sung by Johnny Mathis.
My three favorites....

1) It's a Wonderful Life
2) White Christmas
3) Christmas in Connecticut

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
1. The Nine Tailors (1973) - Ian Carmichael as Lord Peter Wimsey. This takes place after Christmas around New Year's eve.

2. The adventure of the blue carbuncle (1984) - Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes

3. Hercule Poirot's Christmas (1994) - David Suchet as Poirot

4. Murder under the mistletoe (2013) - Essie Davis as Phryne Fisher. In Australia, Christmas is celebrated in July.

5. All creatures great and small:

1983 Christmas special "The Lord God made them all"

The war is finally over and James returns to Darrowby to rejoin his partners, Siegfried and Tristan Farnon, in veterinary practice. James is having difficulty re-adjusting to civilian life however. His first call is to Mr. Biggins, who is the same old self and does nothing but complain about the vet's service. Relations are also strained with Helen: James is short-tempered with little Jimmy and can't seem to open up to her about his feelings. Mrs. Hall has passed on and Siegfried hires a new housekeeper, Mrs. Hubbard, whose culinary skills turn out to be somewhat lacking. Tristan, older but not necessarily wiser, is back with the bell ringers. Siegfried meets an old flame, Caroline, who returns to Darrowby after living in America.

1985 Christmas special

James comes to the help of Sister Rose when she finds a dog stuck in a bog. He takes quite a liking to the animal and takes it home as a pet even though he's determined that its quite ill, perhaps terminally so. Helen disapproves and thinks he's raising the children's hopes for no good reason. Tristan is now working for the Ministry of Agriculture. He's also taken up, again, with Debbie Mount but to do so has had to convince her abstemious father that he's now taken the pledge and is a regular churchgoer. Siegfried treats a cat that has taken up residence in Walt Barnett's scrapyard. Someone is clearly abusing the animal but the irascible Barnett seems to have taken quite a liking to it. With their wedding anniversary soon upon them, Helen is after James' haircut but he's downright afraid of the rather rough and tumble barber.

Summaries copied from IMDb

Thanks for sharing.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
The Sims "Christmas Carol." I've seen it a bazillion times and enjoyed it every time.

Saw "It's a Wonderful Life" for the first time last year and enjoyed it very much. (Big fan of General Jimmy Stewart, USAF)

Scrooged has its moments. Old time stuff, White Christmas, etc.

My wife has about ten Xmas movies recorded and she's not done yet. Drippy, sappy stuff she watches after I've gone to bed (thank goodness).

It's not the movies I miss, it's the family that's passed on. The holiday dinners with 20 or so of us around the tables, the food, the joy.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Lethal Weapon
Die Hard
It's a Wonderful Life
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
The Ref

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads