What is wrong with the offense? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What is wrong with the offense?

Reaction Score
I think the OP and a lot of you guys are spoiled and unrealistic. Do you guys not remember the absolute terrible offense under Ollie? It was pass the ball around the three point line and wait until 5 seconds left on the shot clock and then have Jalen Adams/CV shoot a contested shot? Sure the team isn’t perfect but it’s a thing of beauty compared to what transpired before Hurley got here. Imagine in a few years if uconn adds a couple more bouknights akoks and Jackson’s how awesome and fluid this team will be. Suck it up and enjoy the progress

Reaction Score
I think the OP and a lot of you guys are spoiled and unrealistic. Do you guys not remember the absolute terrible offense under Ollie? It was pass the ball around the three point line and wait until 5 seconds left on the shot clock and then have Jalen Adams/CV shoot a contested shot? Sure the team isn’t perfect but it’s a thing of beauty compared to what transpired before Hurley got here. Imagine in a few years if uconn adds a couple more bouknights akoks and Jackson’s how awesome and fluid this team will be. Suck it up and enjoy the progress

I compare this team to top 25 teams, not Ollie's. As every uconn fan should. It's where we want to be.

Reaction Score
idk about random talent. They're all getting guys drafted. That's talent. Virginia had 3 guys from that team drafted this year. Maybe random in that they are good at identifying.

You're thinking of Tony Bennett. Randy is the St. Mary's coach. Randy has had 1 guy drafted total (Patty Mills).

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't think there are more than a handful of coaches who are experts on both sides of the ball. Many concentrate on the defense because out of good defense comes offensive opportunity.

Anyone who dares to compare any part of DH's coaching with JC at this point is absolutely crazy. JC knew/knows how to make many players (not all) better through his own way of handling them both privately and publicly. DH has done with a few but not to the degree of JC - JC showed that talent from day 1.
To be honest. I think Josh would be a totally different player under JC as would Polley and Sid.

DH's offense won't be effective until ALL the players on the floor learn to be active and understand spacing. A lot of you are all over AG because he drives and ends up losing the ball or making a bad play but many times he is forced to try to make something happen because the 4 others on the floor were watchers and not offering options. Gaffney saw it happening a few times the last two games and ended up eating the ball also.

All the players have a lot to learn to become effective offensive players - they need to work smarter, not harder

Reaction Score
Outside of the typical sluggish start, I thought the offense showed growth. A positive assist to turnover ratio, shooting 55% from the field, 46% from 3.

Reaction Score
Figured I'd throw it out there to see what ya'll think. I have some my own ideas but won't share yet.

Let's leave CV and AGs early season troubles out of it. We have talked about that 100x.

Yesterday I saw a team that won because we were more talented at every position. Personally, what I saw Xs and Os-wise didn't wow me. Seems like we're scoring when plays break down or in transition much more than the half court.

What needs to change? Or does the team just need more reps.
We need a pass first PG like Gaffney. Diid you see some of the open shots we had that he assisted on? Pass first PG is what this team needs.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You're thinking of Tony Bennett. Randy is the St. Mary's coach. Randy has had 1 guy drafted total (Patty Mills).

My bad, just read through the last names really fast as I'm want to do.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I compare this team to top 25 teams, not Ollie's. As every uconn fan should. It's where we want to be.

And comparing to KO's teams...well, it's not saying much.

Reaction Score
Care to elaborate.

A lot of very good coaches are on the same page. Chris Oliver at basketball immersion made me more cognizant of the truth of it.

Kids don't have enough freedom to play in hs and college. True of uconn and many others. Set plays, set plays, set plays. 3 passes before a shot. No early 3s. Stuck in roles. Wait until you're done with the set to score the ball. See it all the time in hs ball.

The reality is with some exceptions the best shot available is likely to be within 8 seconds or so after the ball crosses half court. I see coaches screaming to set up plays ALL the time. That just let's the defense get set.

My team held opponents to about 22% shooting in half court sets if we stop them for 10 seconds after the defensive board. Tracked it last season. I will eat a "set play" team for lunch. Easy to scout.

imo kids like akok and bouk are going to thrive if you just tell them to SCORE THE BALL in whatever motion we're running.

Idk how exactly to describe it except to say that I know it. And it's obvious to good coaches--even one's that do it. They're afraid to give up some measure of control.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Systemic problem:
Calhoun/Stevens/Bennett/Kenpom affect demonstrating defense is more important to success thus shifting coaching emphasis. Combined with early season need /pressure for important games causing less opportunity for development of offense. Combined with emphasis on calling fouls on moving screens disrupting offensive flow.

UConn problem:
Slower than average Carleton reaction time, Carleton still struggling with positioning as plays are deviated from set designs, Gilbert’s height and not having a reliable floater or pull up shot, Gaffney and Bouknight still need more time to develop plus the team is subject to the systematic problems.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
A lot of very good coaches are on the same page. Chris Oliver at basketball immersion made me more cognizant of the truth of it.

Kids don't have enough freedom to play in hs and college. True of uconn and many others. Set plays, set plays, set plays. 3 passes before a shot. No early 3s. Stuck in roles. Wait until you're done with the set to score the ball. See it all the time in hs ball.

The reality is with some exceptions the best shot available is likely to be within 8 seconds or so after the ball crosses half court. I see coaches screaming to set up plays ALL the time. That just let's the defense get set.

My team held opponents to about 22% shooting in half court sets if we stop them for 10 seconds after the defensive board. Tracked it last season. I will eat a "set play" team for lunch. Easy to scout.

imo kids like akok and bouk are going to thrive if you just tell them to SCORE THE BALL in whatever motion we're running.

Idk how exactly to describe it except to say that I know it. And it's obvious to good coaches--even one's that do it. They're afraid to give up some measure of control.
Thanks. So you recommend swagger ball. :cool:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We don’t have a scorer that we can say “go get buckets and takeover.” Until that person develops (likely Bouk or Akok, not this year tho) I’m fine with running sets.

It’ll be chaos if we tell people to go ball out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think our offense will continue to improve. Akok alone for starters.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I'm just cringing thinking about Vital's reaction if Hurley took off the governor.

Reaction Score
The key to a good offense is to make the defense move, to adjust because your finding either mismatches or getting the ball to spots where you can get a better percentage shot. With a guy like josh down low, he should get a ton of looks. As of late (last two games) he “disappeared”. I put it in quotes because it’s not all on josh. I’m not sure what the message to the team happens to be, but the guards on the perimeter don’t execute the offense needed to get josh the ball in the right position. I can go thru the last game and give at least 6 examples of the offense not finding josh when he worked for position. In fairness, Josh is trying to ask for the ball while the guard is at the top of the key, constantly. Terrible and the exact way to throw away the ball, as we’ve seen recently.

If they can execute and get josh the ball in position, you force them to double team. Teach josh to react faster to the double team and youll find ways to get an open look nearly every time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I like the horns set better than the weave/big man flash and handoff and think we should run that more. However, they are both designed to do the same thing -- get the defense moving laterally to set up dribble penetration. This is what 90% of college offenses are designed to do. Why? Because nothing is more disruptive to a defense than dribble penetration. It forces defenders to help and rotate, which most college players aren't good at, which leads to kick-outs to shooters or feeds to big men or baseline cutters.

The problem in our man offense is two-fold. The first is that the hand-offs and exchanges are happening too far from the basket. That can be corrected but the game plan to defend us is to pressure the ball whether it's in the hands of a guard or a big and try to push us out further. The second is that we don't have many guys who can effectively penetrate. That makes us an easy scout. Pressure the ball, don't leave Polley, and swarm Carlton as soon as we try to feed it to him.

As for the history of Hurley's offense, I disagree that it was bad at URI. It wasn't a symphony of motion like John Beilein's or Lon Kruger's, but it looked like many offenses around the country. Lots of ball screens, with dribble penetration and kick-outs being the goal. The hand-off was not featured nearly as much as it has been with us. I think part of that is that he doesn't want Carlton running a high pick and roll as it's not his strength, and setting the high screen from another position can mess with spacing if Carlton is still on the low block.

I think Carlton's problem with the pick and roll is as much where it is happening on the court as anything. Running a pick and roll down the lane is a tough play for the center. It is a tough pass to catch. because he has to put the ball on the floor for at least one dribble and the help defense is going to be there almost immediately. It is a fairly athletic play to make and Carlton is not exactly an athletic marvel. Pick and roll's generally work better from the side of the court, and I think that is especially true for Carlton.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Once we have guards that can put pressure on the defense with the threat of dribble drive AND from deep, that's when you'll see the offense really take off. I understand this sounds obvious, so let me clarify. You don't have to be Michael Jordan, but right now Gilbert's jump shot isn't a threat so defenders pack it in when he has the ball. Vital has the shot, but they know that if he drives the lane he's as likely to turn it over or force up a bad shot as he is to burn them. Once Bouknight tightens things up and Gaffney continues to gain confidence, we should look much better offensively. Gilbert can still figure out things with his shot, too, so there's definitely room for improvement. I think Vital is what he is at this point, but when the other guards are bigger threats to the defense it'll open things up for him.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the biggest problem with the offense is shot selection by AG and CV. Contested pull up 3's are bad shots unless you are Shabazz Napier or Kemba Walker. It doesn't matter what motion or sets you run, if CV and AG think they can jack crazy shots, you might as well play pickup offense.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed last game, was that the drive and dish/driving room in general was much better with Carlton off the floor. It's really a double edged sword, but i'd say we're similar (of course in a lighter version) of what happens to Kansas when Azibuke is on the floor. Carltons inability to stretch the floor in any way what so ever clogs driving lanes & keeps the paint congested.

PS-Not saying that we're better with Carlton on the bench, but just an observation with him on the floor.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed last game, was that the drive and dish/driving room in general was much better with Carlton off the floor. It's really a double edged sword, but i'd say we're similar (of course in a lighter version) of what happens to Kansas when Azibuke is on the floor. Carltons inability to stretch the floor in any way what so ever clogs driving lanes & keeps the paint congested.

PS-Not saying that we're better with Carlton on the bench, but just an observation with him on the floor.

Obviously, your offense should be designed differently based on whether you're playing with a low-post, back to the basket Center on offense versus one who is comfortable playing on the perimeter and being able to catch and shoot at the foul line extended. Carlton is the first type. If you don't get him the ball and make the other team double him, then all you're accomplishing is making sure at least one big on defense is in the lane when a guard drives. But if you get him the ball, on a good day he'll score off most bigs he's playing against (after looking ugly for the first possession or two) unless he's double teamed, and if he is double teamed the entire offense opens up.

Said another way, if you aren't going to make sure your low post big has to be doubled, then you are better off with a more mobile, better jump shooting big so you can keep the lane open.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I have an issue with the offensive sets and perhaps one of you can explain to me the purpose. It is what I call phantom screens. We seem to set a lot of on ball screens and hand-offs, but before the screener makes any contact they roll towards the hoop. I'm very old school, (High school varsity 68-71), but i have always thought the purpose of the screen is to disrupt the defensive flow, clear shooting space, cause switches, and get mismatches. What I see is the big comes out, either sets a phantom screen or gets the ball and hands it back, and then dives back low. Nothing is accomplished except time is taken off the clock.

Reaction Score
I have an issue with the offensive sets and perhaps one of you can explain to me the purpose. It is what I call phantom screens. We seem to set a lot of on ball screens and hand-offs, but before the screener makes any contact they roll towards the hoop. I'm very old school, (High school varsity 68-71), but i have always thought the purpose of the screen is to disrupt the defensive flow, clear shooting space, cause switches, and get mismatches. What I see is the big comes out, either sets a phantom screen or gets the ball and hands it back, and then dives back low. Nothing is accomplished except time is taken off the clock.

I'm sure there are posters more technically proficient than I. But I'll answer it as follows.

1. Early in the shot clock, even if there is no contact on the pick, and the ball handler isn't using it as a screen to get off an 18 footer if no one follows him (see, e.g., Stockton and Malone), it still acts to get the defense moving, and the more you force the defense to move early in the possession the more holes that open up.

2. Many defenders assume we're not going to jack up even an open 3 early in the possession and simply give the dribbler room on the screen.

3. I'm not quite as old as you, but setting picks and screens is a lost art. I don't think players get taught it early enough and I don't think they're particularly good at it in college. So part of the issue is I'm guessing Hurley would like Carlton and Whalley to set firmer screens than they do and roll harder once they take contact. (This is especially true when nothing comes off the first screen and Carlton comes back high to set another screen later in the shot clock.)

But, like #2 above, I think both teams know the goal of the screen is not to get off a shot in the next 3 seconds but to get players on both offense and defense moving. Although I'm all ears if someone who coaches currently or recently has a better answer.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I'm sure there are posters more technically proficient than I. But I'll answer it as follows.

1. Early in the shot clock, even if there is no contact on the pick, and the ball handler isn't using it as a screen to get off an 18 footer if no one follows him (see, e.g., Stockton and Malone), it still acts to get the defense moving, and the more you force the defense to move early in the possession the more holes that open up.

2. Many defenders assume we're not going to jack up even an open 3 early in the possession and simply give the dribbler room on the screen.

3. I'm not quite as old as you, but setting picks and screens is a lost art. I don't think players get taught it early enough and I don't think they're particularly good at it in college. So part of the issue is I'm guessing Hurley would like Carlton and Whalley to set firmer screens than they do and roll harder once they take contact. (This is especially true when nothing comes off the first screen and Carlton comes back high to set another screen later in the shot clock.)

But, like #2 above, I think both teams know the goal of the screen is not to get off a shot in the next 3 seconds but to get players on both offense and defense moving. Although I'm all ears if someone who coaches currently or recently has a better answer.
Thanks for the response. I should be more succinct in my question which ultimately is; Why no contact on these phantom screens. Without contact, there is no disruption of the defense.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think our offense will continue to improve. Akok alone for starters.
Or Akok Akok together for finishers.;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom