What is with the love for Alabama? | The Boneyard

What is with the love for Alabama?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
They have never won anything in March. Their most storied success was in the 80s when they reached the Sweet 16 a couple of times. 2004 was the most impressive performance-they got to the Elite 8 where they lost to us. Since 1991, they have only reached the second weekend once. I get that this program has a good coach and has had a good season but traditionally they choke. I love them as a #2 seed for us. Same thing goes for Texas because Shaka Smart hasn't done anything since VCU and the program hasn't done anything in a dozen years in March (2008-Elite 8). The only teams in our bracket that I don't consider soft are Michigan because they had some success this decade and Michigan State.
I am so glad we don't have the likes of UNC, Wisconsin, Syracuse (hate to say it), Michigan State (wouldn't meet until Sweet 16), Michigan, Villanova, Oregon, Kansas, or even Duke or Kentucky in our bracket. Those are teams that more often that not are consistent-they meet or exceed their seed expectation.

Looking at the 1 seeds only Gonzaga and Michigan have had some success deep in the tournament lately. Baylor and Illinois are what I consider soft (underachievers). Same goes for Houston and Alabama.

This year is setting up for a lower seed to win and it better be us.

Reaction Score
Because the winner of UConn Maryland won't be playing Alabama's history, they'll be playing their 2021 team which is a really good team. Your post gets even weirder the further I read along. You would rather play Bama than Duke or Kentucky, yikes.

Reaction Score
They have never won anything in March. Their most storied success was in the 80s when they reached the Sweet 16 a couple of times. 2004 was the most impressive performance-they got to the Elite 8 where they lost to us. Since 1991, they have only reached the second weekend once. I get that this program has a good coach and has had a good season but traditionally they choke. I love them as a #2 seed for us. Same thing goes for Texas because Shaka Smart hasn't done anything since VCU and the program hasn't done anything in a dozen years in March (2008-Elite 8). The only teams in our bracket that I don't consider soft are Michigan because they had some success this decade and Michigan State.
I am so glad we don't have the likes of UNC, Wisconsin, Syracuse (hate to say it), Michigan State (wouldn't meet until Sweet 16), Michigan, Villanova, Oregon, Kansas, or even Duke or Kentucky in our bracket. Those are teams that more often that not are consistent-they meet or exceed their seed expectation.

Looking at the 1 seeds only Gonzaga and Michigan have had some success deep in the tournament lately. Baylor and Illinois are what I consider soft (underachievers). Same goes for Houston and Alabama.

This year is setting up for a lower seed to win and it better be us.
Maybe you should try watching Alabama THIS year. They are very good.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Because the winner of UConn Maryland won't be playing Alabama's history, they'll be playing their 2021 team which is a really good team. Your post gets even weirder the further I read along. You would rather play Bama than Duke or Kentucky, yikes.
I would rather play Bama who is a #2 than a Duke or Kentucky (if they were good this year) seeded anywhere between a 2-10 seed. Program culture matters. That's why schools like Purdue do well in the regular season and choke in March all the time.

Reaction Score
I would rather play Bama who is a #2 than a Duke or Kentucky (if they were good this year) seeded anywhere between a 2-10 seed. Program culture matters. That's why schools like Purdue do well in the regular season and choke in March all the time.
This is sarcasm right?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
It's weird that we lost to Creighton on Friday since they haven't been to a Sweet 16 since the mid-70s.
Not the NCAA tournament and they're another team that's going out early because McDermott is like Mik Cronin.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeah Duke has never lost in the 1st or second round ;)
I don't care what the history is - you as good as your last few games and that makes Alabama real good
BTW - do you remember Purdue when Gene Keady coached them?

Reaction Score
Don’t throw stones in glass houses? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?

Maybe don’t lob around “dumbest post” titles when your post history is there for all to see? Lol
Yeah, and you’re a brain surgeon.

Wait, let me explain that to you.....that’s called sarcasm.

Reaction Score
I read the thread title and expected to come in here and back you up, but your post is weird to say the least. Alabama is good, but I think we’re just as good if James is himself, which I expect him to be. The whole Duke, Kentucky thing is just weird.

Reaction Score
Alabama is the real deal and with the recruits they have coming in, it seems like they’ll be the real deal for a long time. One of my favorite teams besides UConn to watch this year. Nate Oats is a great coach and I am willing to bet Syracuse/other northeast schools are kicking themselves in the ass for letting him leave the northeast.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You are in an interesting place.

Reaction Score
Was on a road trip that took me through Tuscaloosa yesterday, led to an impromptu stop to see LSU/Alabama. On the hard court it’s usually LSU blowouts, but fans really showed out for the rivalry game (although have to say, the arena is terrible for fan noise, great crowd muffled by the design).

Nate Oats was a fantastic hire for that team. Bama will contend for the SEC title in year 2 if they can learn defense. His team has shot lights out the last 2 games (22/59 3P FG last week in 1 game alone). They were up 18 early in the second but got rattled when their leading scorer got his 4th. LSU closed it to 1, but bama hung tough and made clutch possessions under 2 min. Top 2 scorers are underclassmen, put up 27/26. Also one dude was playing one handed, with a cast on a broken wrist, still grabbed 17 boards.

This was my post from 1 year ago...note: they learned defense. Beat the turtles, then lets find out just what this Alabama team has.

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
Two teams I wanted no part of. Bama and Illinois. But here we are...

Reaction Score
It was so funny cuz right after cbs selection show I put on espn At 7 and most of the analysts on there, bilas and Greenberg were saying that they like bama to advance deep because they have the easiest path. No respect for our boys. I love our region. We avoid the 8/9 nightmare and zags in first round. Very winnable bracket

Reaction Score
What if Iona beats Alabama? I don’t hear anyone even giving this a 1% chance. Alabama is really good, no doubt, but they’re notorious for slow starts and getting down double digits in games. A team like Iona with a really good coach like Pitino could be dangerous, especially if Alabama comes in arrogant and looks past them in the first round. You never know. And we have to beat Maryland.

Reaction Score
Gotta get by Maryland. Which everyone obviously agrees with.

I'm very content being forgotten by the experts. Not going to go into specifics, but I think getting out of the spotlight could be good for us. Not sure we've handled it great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom