• Business owner

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • Healthcare

Votes: 19 8.4%
  • Insurance

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • Other

Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Trades (Construction, electrical, boat building, etc.)

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Marketing/Advertising

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • IT

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • Finance

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • Operations/Management

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • Food service

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My first career was as a business equipment repairman for Olivetti, from 66 through 72. Ended up a decade later managing the service department for a business equipment dealer, and eventually dragged them kicking and screaming into the computer age.
Meanwhile, I'd been augmenting my income writing for several outdoor magazines, and as that became busier and more lucrative for me, I expanded into writing about other subjects I was well versed in as well. By the time the kids were grown and the mortgage was paid, we had what seemed a decent nest egg tucked away, so I retired from that occupation in 1989 and wrote full time, until my health attacked me again. We ended up uninsured and hospitals and doctors took our nest egg away. Went to work for a friend who runs a fishing lure company as the IT department, Export Manager and molding equipment repairman. I modernized his computer system (the software he was using when I went to work there had originally been written for the Wang.) Wrote him an entirely home grown system based on Lotus 123 with a front end from Lotus Approach. I was there from after my AAA surgery in '98 until 2012, when I retired for good for vascular surgery. Since then, I've been a professional patient, and have gone very few years without some kind major surgery or malady.
When I started my Banking career is was in 70's at Hartford Federal Savings and Loan and then State Bank for Savings - we used Olivetti equipment and saw lots of their repair/service people - maybe you were one of them? Good Luck with your health issues - it SUCKS getting old!!!! (I know all about it)

Reaction Score
IT consulting/MSP. Lately it feels like it's devolved to little more than M365 admin work and security stuff.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I work for a trade association. Maybe add a “professional/financial services” category.

Reaction Score
Retired IT -- Data Analysis, Business Intelligence, Data Mining
In 2008 I was awarded a national award for manufacturing for a quality analysis application I designed, developed and implemented which resulted in $40 million dollar savings in one year. Six years later a new vice president said I was making too much and should be replaced with a new college graduate. bye bye.
Meh, they just made the decision for you. When was that vp canned?

Reaction Score
manufacturing engineer...little bit of everything. Basically I make stuff until China buys my company and then I find a new company to work for

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Meh, they just made the decision for you. When was that vp canned?
I don't know. When I found out about his comment, I moved on and landed in a great place. The director of quality was pretty upset and even offered me 15 grand to stay. but I knew it was a matter of time so I left.

Reaction Score
Sales is what makes the world happen. Don’t ever be ashamed of sales.

Bingo @Slappy!!!

I’m actually looking for one in the Hartford area with a mechanical or automation background so if any of you Yarders know of an individual please PM me.

Happy Selling! ;)

Reaction Score
Sales is what makes the world happen. Don’t ever be ashamed of sales.
I'm just joshing. As an engineer I have always had a playfully adversarial relationship with sales.

That being said, I do resent salespeople using high pressure tactics to get me to buy what I don't want or need.

Reaction Score
I'm just joshing. As an engineer I have always had a playfully adversarial relationship with sales.

That being said, I do resent salespeople using high pressure tactics to get me to buy what I don't want or need.
Sales people who are any good don't need to use high pressure tactics. The good ones have unobvious control of the situation and allow for the client/prospect to walk away from a meeting feeling good about the decision they made as a result of trusting the salesperson and their value proposition and the fit that their products or services have for their need(s).

Reaction Score
Where do you guys work? I used to work for SLAM Collaborative, but have been out of the state for many years.
I was a Civil Engineer at Purcell Associates 100 years ago...I bet we worked on some projects together.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I traded commodities in the pits at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange for 25 years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom