• Business owner

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • Healthcare

Votes: 19 8.4%
  • Insurance

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • Other

Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Trades (Construction, electrical, boat building, etc.)

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Marketing/Advertising

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • IT

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • Finance

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • Operations/Management

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • Food service

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Hi Guys!
  • Longtime PR Executive (Day Job)
  • 50+ years Professional Musician (Night Job)
  • Longtime Custom Guitar & Ukulele Maker (Weekend Job)

- Former UConn MA graduate student

- For three years (early 70's), I played Pro basketball in France (Until My Knees disintegrated)

- Was Freshman All-American in college - 27ppg 12 rpg (As Knees Started to Fail). Only managed one varsity season (knees).

- Was High School All-American (NYC at #1Nationally- Ranked HS)

- Enjoyed NYC Park Basketball FAR More than ANY organized hoops, Like at the infamous Father Demo Square 'Hoops 'n Handballl' courts Downtown or the tough games at SJU by invitation.

- Now Long-Retired in my late 70's. Can't Walk Much, even with these metal knees, hips & spine. No regrets! Left it all out on the courts of life.

- Did/Do I love hoops? Ask the many, many orthopedic surgeons who turned me into 'bionic man.' Hey! I still come to this site, right? I played full court hoops regularly for 50+ years!

"It's not what you did for a living that counts. It's what you do that you truly loved!"

Father Demo

Last edited:

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
30 years working on IT infrastructure (Mainframe, Servers, Storage, Backup, Virtualization, Data Center) starting with installing the operating system and program products on the mainframe through designing and managing the data centers and infrastructure before retiring from a large utility.

Reaction Score
Product developer for a financial technology company. Surprisingly a lot of UConn grads at my company. 3 of my 4 interviews were with UConn alumni and we spent the entire time just talking about our favorite memories from Storrs. Pretty sure that landed me the job lol

Reaction Score
Hi Guys!

- For three years (early 70's), I played Pro basketball in France (Until My Knees disintegrated)

- Was Freshman All-American in college - 27ppg 12 rpg (As Knees Started to Fail). Only managed one varsity season (knees).

- Enjoyed NYC Park Basketball FAR More than ANY organized hoops, Like at the infamous Father Demo Square 'Hoops 'n Handballl' courts Downtown or the tough games at SJU by invitation.

- Now Long-Retired in my late 70's. Can't Walk Much, even with these metal knees, hips & spine. No regrets! Left it all out on the courts of life.

- Did/Do I love hoops? Ask the many, many orthopedic surgeons who turned me into 'bionic man.' Hey! I still come to this site, right? I played full court hoops regularly for 50+ years!

"It's not what you did for a living that counts. It's what you do that you truly loved!"

Father Demo
pimp GIF

Reaction Score
My first career was as a business equipment repairman for Olivetti, from 66 through 72. Ended up a decade later managing the service department for a business equipment dealer, and eventually dragged them kicking and screaming into the computer age.
Meanwhile, I'd been augmenting my income writing for several outdoor magazines, and as that became busier and more lucrative for me, I expanded into writing about other subjects I was well versed in as well. By the time the kids were grown and the mortgage was paid, we had what seemed a decent nest egg tucked away, so I retired from that occupation in 1989 and wrote full time, until my health attacked me again. We ended up uninsured and hospitals and doctors took our nest egg away. Went to work for a friend who runs a fishing lure company as the IT department, Export Manager and molding equipment repairman. I modernized his computer system (the software he was using when I went to work there had originally been written for the Wang.) Wrote him an entirely home grown system based on Lotus 123 with a front end from Lotus Approach. I was there from after my AAA surgery in '98 until 2012, when I retired for good for vascular surgery. Since then, I've been a professional patient, and have gone very few years without some kind major surgery or malady.
RichZ - You’ve been bellyaching about your maladies for 25 years. Cheers to many, many more of these posts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have such a niche role that I still don't know how to easily explain it. So every time somebody asks me what I do, they see the look on my face and the long pause, and pretty much say nevermind, forget I asked. Works for everyone.

Short answer is consultant to enterprise software companies
Wait you consult on the Enterprise software? Was like this your interview?

Please Help GIF by Star Trek

Alien

Interstellar Admissions - Galactic Federation
Reaction Score
I don’t see intergalactic ambassador on the list…?

Reaction Score
Hi Guys!

Father Demo
Wow, renaissance man!

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I formulate natural meat-based dog and cat foods and meal mixes; teach veterinarians how to formulate; conduct leading-edge research about the dog's gut microbes including testing compost virome transfers (similar to fecal virome transfers (FVT); and, in conjunction with the virome transfers, I am developing natural fiber alternatives for dogs (I work closely with leading vets on this). Semi retired, but work 30 hours per week.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Professional musician (still active) and music educator/ band director for 33 years. Taught high school band and jazz band and then middle school band, jazz band, wind ensemble and general music. Spent 13 years as the music department head on the middle school level. Middle school was by far the best teaching gig I had. Never a dull moment!!! Retired 12 years ago.

I'm now a "professional pappa" to our 4 grandsons!!! Best job ever. I've also gone back to playing my horn on a regular basis. I play lead trumpet in a 16 piece swing band and trumpet in a 9 piece backup band.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
RichZ - You’ve been bellyaching about your maladies for 25 years. Cheers to many, many more of these posts.
You would think what I went through in my 20s would exempt me from a lifetime of future medical problems, but no, it doesn't seem to work that way.

Reaction Score
Math teacher, coach and curriculum leader at the private school I've been teaching at for 11 years. It's the only full-time paying job I've had out of grad school and took a circuitous path to arrive where I am: majored in math in college, switched to English, went to grad school for secondary English education, finished grad school in '09 to hunt for HS jobs in CT but most districts at the time were in hiring freezes. Applied to 50+ jobs, got three interviews and two demo lessons, but no job offers.

At the advice of my mom, she suggested I send my resume to a private school whose head of school at the time was my elementary school principal and his wife taught with my mom in Stamford. At that time, I had no desire to teach in a private school, but it was August, had no job prospects and nothing to lose. I get a reply from the school's secretary to let me know that the HOS wanted to talk with me to catch up. I show up in a causal button-down shirt, shorts and Birkenstocks, expecting just to say hi.

The school didn't have any positions available, but on the spot I was offered a position as a full-time building sub with the expectation to be in school every day without a specific role, get paid sub wages ($100/day) but with benefits included. The following year, I was offered a PT 5th grade math position to add on to my building sub wages. The pay was still minimal, but I was living at home, paying off college loans, working weekends and saving up. Third year, I became a FT teacher, teaching two English classes and one math class. Following that year, the new HOS asked me to pick a subject to stick with and I picked math, been teaching math ever since and I am now entering my third year as the curriculum leader. Met my wife at the school and we've been married for six years and both still teaching there.

I guess the lesson I've learned through this is no matter what you do, work hard, be kind and be open to possibilities that come your way.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom