What is it going to take to beat UCONN this season? | The Boneyard

What is it going to take to beat UCONN this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A common opinion is that UCONN WBB will lose multiple regular season games this year.
What is it going to take to beat UCONN?
1) Stolen from Doris Burke: Excellent guard play.
2) Away game for UCONN
3) Excellent 3 Point Shooting
4) Excellent coaching
What else?

Reaction Score
Mdoggie--named one important one. Confidence

Geno beat many teams who had weak guard play--USC was beaten because their guards didn't play up to Moriah Kia or Gabby.

Regardless of how good the 3 point shooters are (ND last year) Geno finds a way to shut them down.

Excellence in coaching (with top talent) is what it will take to defeat Uconn---Dawn and Muffet are in that category --the question for Uconn's Collier, Gabby, Butler --are you up to it?? I think they are!

Reaction Score
Same thing as in the previous years. You must be able to match UConn basket for basket and give yourself a chance to win at the end . I think UConn, even without you know who, can still score points. It is all about how well a team handles UConn's defense and that depends on how good UConn plays defense. Replacing the big 3 offensively is not the issue, replacing the length and quickness on defense is the big question for UConn.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN will struggle mightily with teams who run an offense with guards who can dribble penetrate and feed the post who can finish(Notre Dame, Baylor and South Carolina to start). Replacing Moriah on the top of our defense is probably the biggest thing we lose. We are actually very small up front, which will hurt us while guarding the paint. I think UCONN is more impacted on the defensive side of the ball, than on the offensive side, which says a lot about how dominant our defense was last year. We have talent, perhaps more than anyone in the country in the positions 2-4. What we don't have, is experience at the most important positions on the floor in the type of offense that we run, which are the PG and a big post who can pass. Collier can be effective on the block, but who is going to be passing it to her from the high post? Aside from her obvious talent, Morgan Tuck was so great because Stewie passed the ball to her from the high post last year. At her size, she could see things that nobody on this team will be able to.

I hope Lou worked on her inside game, because I think on offense, she could be very efficient down there. In the scrimmage I watched from first night, it reminded me of how long and tall she really is. She's basically the same size as Brianna Turner, but just a totally different game.

With that being said, I think, barring injury, UCONN has the most potential to get better from November to the start of the NCAA tournament. Small ball works now, we just have to perfect it and learn new identities. I'm excited.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think UCONN will struggle mightily with teams who run an offense with guards who can dribble penetrate and feed the post who can finish(Notre Dame, Baylor and South Carolina to start). Replacing Moriah on the top of our defense is probably the biggest thing we lose. We are actually very small up front, which will hurt us while guarding the paint. I think UCONN is more impacted on the defensive side of the ball, than on the offensive side, which says a lot about how dominant our defense was last year. We have talent, perhaps more than anyone in the country in the positions 2-4. What we don't have, is experience at the most important positions on the floor in the type of offense that we run, which are the PG and a big post who can pass. Collier can be effective on the block, but who is going to be passing it to her from the high post. Aside from her obvious talent, Morgan Tuck was so great because Stewie passed the ball to her from the high post last year. At her size, she could see things that nobody on this team will be able to.
Excellent synopsis.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN will struggle mightily with teams who run an offense with guards who can dribble penetrate and feed the post who can finish(Notre Dame, Baylor and South Carolina to start). Replacing Moriah on the top of our defense is probably the biggest thing we lose. We are actually very small up front, which will hurt us while guarding the paint. I think UCONN is more impacted on the defensive side of the ball, than on the offensive side, which says a lot about how dominant our defense was last year. We have talent, perhaps more than anyone in the country in the positions 2-4. What we don't have, is experience at the most important positions on the floor in the type of offense that we run, which are the PG and a big post who can pass. Collier can be effective on the block, but who is going to be passing it to her from the high post? Aside from her obvious talent, Morgan Tuck was so great because Stewie passed the ball to her from the high post last year. At her size, she could see things that nobody on this team will be able to.

I hope Lou worked on her inside game, because I think on offense, she could be very efficient down there. In the scrimmage I watched from first night, it reminded me of how long and tall she really is. She's basically the same size as Brianna Turner, but just a totally different game.

With that being said, I think, barring injury, UCONN has the most potential to get better from November to the start of the NCAA tournament. Small ball works now, we just have to perfect it and learn new identities. I'm excited.
I agree. Teams that can pound it inside and then bang the offensive boards could expose the lack of post depth and create a lot of foul problems for UConn.

Reaction Score
A common opinion is that UCONN WBB will lose multiple regular season games this year.
2) Away game for UCONN
4) Excellent coaching
What else?
Presidential executive order.

Reaction Score
I agree with other's comments here....................teams will try to penetrate and pound the ball inside against UConn...............once Butler is in foul trouble who else is going to stop a dominant post player? That's why I was disappointed that UConn didn't recruit at least one additional post last year................. also curious see Crystal's defensive capabilities...............until she proves herself, I see teams trying to post bigger guards against her................................

Reaction Score
A pressing smothering defense should do it. Oh yeah, and as previously mentioned.... score 75 points.

Reaction Score
Same thing as in the previous years. You must be able to match UConn basket for basket and give yourself a chance to win at the end . I think UConn, even without you know who, can still score points. It is all about how well a team handles UConn's defense and that depends on how good UConn plays defense. Replacing the big 3 offensively is not the issue, replacing the length and quickness on defense is the big question for UConn.

length isn't easy for THIS team to replace--KLS (Katie Lou) has some of that length, Butler not so much. Speed/quickness can be replaced by Gabby, Kia, and eventually Crystal . Last year Gabby, Collier, Butler, deferred to the Golden 3 for scoring--Geno tried to tell them last year --shoot when you have the shot--don't rely upon the golden 3--NOW they MUST shoot and be accurate.
Questions marks are a few--Chong, Bent, Butler, Kyla--
Ms Dangerfield, is as quick and speedy as any point guard Uconn has had. She, according to report, is accurate with the 3. Experience at Div 1 is still to be achieved..

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
To "Beat UCONN" this year or any other year for that matter,
you need to have balance contributions from all players on the court
so basically a complete team playing together as one,
otherwise Geno will expose your weaknesses and most likely win..
The opposing levels of individual talent will only determine by how many points.. :)

With that said, UCONN this year may however beat themselves, if they don't stay focused or try to win games with individual efforts.. It's all about team ball.. Geno will double and triple dominant bigs and force the guards to deliver consistent results, or press teams to take them out of their offensive flow, or slow the game and possessions down if he is out matched offensively.. So yes as others have noted Coaching is very Important.. Bring it on, can't wait to see it all unfolds..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno will double and triple dominant bigs and force the guards to deliver consistent results, or press teams to take them out of their offensive flow, or slow the game and possessions down if he is out matched offensively.. So yes as others have noted Coaching is very Important.. Bring it on, can't wait to see it all unfolds.
I can't think of a single dominant big that Geno has ever doubled let alone tripled at UCONN or USA basketball. Can you?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Attack the basket, good ball movement, make open shots, stay confident/composed when UCONN makes their run.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I can't think of a single dominant big that Geno has ever doubled let alone tripled at UCONN or USA basketball. Can you?
Good point. I agree with Coco here... UConn generally prefers to play the passing lanes aggressively and stop the guards from getting the ball to the post rather than leave someone open and then double a post player... He usually makes the post players defend 1 on 1 focusing on pushing the player out of their preferred spots. It's a much smarter approach than doubling in a lot of instances. Their defense is predicated on making everyone uncomfortable.

Think about it this way. Alaina Coates for example shoots a crazy high FG percentage right because she just gets lay ups & putbacks. Almost every team she played against tried to double and triple team her after the catch. Why? It makes no sense once she has the ball in most instances she has already done the work to get position and she is big and strong enough to either make the layup or drawn the foul. Even though she isn't a good free throw shooter the plan works against you in that you are racking up fouls. You are better off having the post guarding her just purely focus on getting her off the block especially the right block since it's her fave. She will not shoot a jumper, she will not drive by you, she rarely sets screens, and she isn't a great passer. Outside of that right block she's basically becomes a statue. So if you are going to allow her to get the ball or wait to start playing defense on her after she gets it you might as well give her the 2 points and save yourself the foul.

Instead what did you see in SEC play... double team after double team. It's just silly. You have to do the hard work before she gets the ball not after... let a guard give the opposing player trying to make the entry pass hell and you move the dominant post out of their favorite area.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Guards/Wings that can drive into the middle and be able to score. Don't think this team at beginning of the season will have the interior defense to stop players from scoring from inside. Teams that have an interior post presence should be able to score points due to UConn lack of experience and size.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
2) Away game for UCONN
4) Excellent coaching
What else?
I don't totally agree. This season, early on in particular, I think teams offensively are going to pound UConn inside and try to take advantage of Butler and KLS defensively. When Gabby moves inside to spell these ladies see more of the same. When The UConn is on offense I think teams will still run at KLS and try to force her to do more than shoot outside. For almost everyone else, at least early on, they're going to crowd the paint and force all others to shoot.

But yes, early on The UConn IS going to lose games, and perhaps as many as 4 overall before The Music starts to play. Geno's will be there however, and this hard working, feral team will be different during The Dance than the team that lost those early games.

Reaction Score
2) Away game for UCONN
4) Excellent coaching
What else?

Away games are NOT a predictor of losses for Uconn WBB. USC game last year--sold out--noisy --pro USC--pretty fair team (in the top 2 or 3) good to great wings, tall/big posts, talented Wilson, their guards were not at their best---
Excellent guard play, excellent coaching (with talent) may beat Uconn nearly any year.

Multiple losses --hard to believe--but with 30 percent untried Team members it may not Gel before the Baylor game---in Late Dec, Feb
Geno will have them ready to compete at a Uconn level--Uconn wins --not just on talent-they win on Defense and Conditioning--but a talented 6'6 is a lot to compensate for.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Guards/Wings that can drive into the middle and be able to score. Don't think this team at beginning of the season will have the interior defense to stop players from scoring from inside. Teams that have an interior post presence should be able to score points due to UConn lack of experience and size.

I don't totally agree. This season, early on in particular, I think teams offensively are going to pound UConn inside and try to take advantage of Butler and KLS defensively. When Gabby moves inside to spell these ladies see more of the same. When The UConn is on offense I think teams will still run at KLS and try to force her to do more than shoot outside. For almost everyone else, at least early on, they're going to crowd the paint and force all others to shoot.

But yes, early on The UConn IS going to lose games, and perhaps as many as 4 overall before The Music starts to play. Geno's will be there however, and this hard working, feral team will be different during The Dance than the team that lost those early games.

Don't see many teams on the schedule that can overwhelm UCONN in the post. To overwhelm UCONN in the post still requires excellent guard play for post entry passes and the ability to hit threes from kick out passes. This reduces the number of teams than can do both to Baylor & Maryland maybe. Alexis Jones shot 41% and Kristy Wallace shot 38% from three for Baylor. Shatori Walker-Kimbrough for Maryland led the NCAA in 3Pt shooting last year at 54%. Baylor plays UCONN on the road and MD will likely be starting a Freshmen PG in Slocum. See @Nuyoika post as an excellent example of how you negate size in the post.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Good points. I tried to put together a scout last year, first time ever I was unable to do so. The team was just too lethal both offensively and defensively. Geno could go from his starting five with Tuck guarding a big body to subbing Williams for Tuck and having a pressuring and even trapping team where it was difficult for any guard to make good passes due to Uconns length and ability to switch on every play. Anyone who says that a player from last year cannot guard another type of player is delusional. All of those players could switch and BTW it is the hardest defense to play against. Initially I thought Jefferson could be a match up problem but the length by the other switch and Mos quickness and anticipation ability negated that.

This year 3 of those players return, add in a sub that also played last year, making 4, so the only question is whether you go big, where Geno could still play switching with 4 players and allow Butler to camp in the paint or go with a smaller guard and see if they can compensate by pressuring the ball so they don't get pinned under the basket. Not a bad problem to have.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Don't see many teams on the schedule that can overwhelm UCONN in the post. To overwhelm UCONN in the post still requires excellent guard play for post entry passes and the ability to hit threes from kick out passes. This reduces the number of teams than can do both to Baylor & Maryland maybe. Alexis Jones shot 41% and Kristy Wallace shot 38% from three for Baylor. Shatori Walker-Kimbrough for Maryland led the NCAA in 3Pt shooting last year at 54%. Baylor plays UCONN on the road and MD will likely be starting a Freshmen PG in Slocum. See @Nuyoika post as an excellent example of how you negate size in the post.
Actually it doesn't really take good guard play, but good guard passing into the post, and good positioning on the forwards part. Also if you have a good passing forward placing her at the high post can help alleviate some of the pressure on the guards.. Honestly last year Ms. Butler didn't show me good positioning or footwork on offense or defense. KLS is the only other forward with size and her game defensively isn't suited to inside play although she does show good positioning. Her strength is taking advantage of mismatches offensively and defensively against smaller 1'a and 2's and moving bigger forwards from the paint. These are the two UConn forwards with size, although Collier plays bigger. Add freshman Irwin off the bench and that's it. Texas with Lang, Goudreau(s), and Holmes will be a problem. That along with SC, Baylor, and Maryland. Against ND this year I don't see a solution for Turner. Ohio State with McCoy, Mavunga, Cooper, Ekhelar and Hart will be a problem. All of these teams also have good guard play. Again, 4 losses is not out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom