What Is [goin on] With Aaliyah Edwards? [Merged Thread] | The Boneyard

What Is [goin on] With Aaliyah Edwards? [Merged Thread]

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Reading the Seton Hall postgame thread, I saw numerous critical comments about nearly all of the UConn players except Paige, but IMO those pertaining to Aaliyah Edwards are the least deserved (particularly with respect to the Seton Hall game itself) and the hardest to understand. What exactly is disappointing about the way AE played against Seton Hall?

Her stat line does not indicate any problem: 34 minutes, 12 points, 7 rebounds including 3 offensive rebounds (more total rebounds than any Seton Hall player), 6-for-11 shooting. Is it her 5 turnovers that are the issue? Three of those turnovers were traveling calls. I agree that "happy feet" is a problem that she will have to address, but compared to what she has already overcome, it is a minor asterisk.

All last year, she had a huge problem with fouls, and fouled out of several important games after minimal minutes. She showed some of that in the early games this year, but against Seton Hall she had only 3 fouls in the game, and got the 3rd foul in the last minute or two of the game. That allowed her to play the 34 minutes that she needs to play.

She had a problem in previous games this year with offensive rebounds -- getting only 1 in 4 games. My hunch is that much of that was because her minutes and her aggressiveness were limited by foul trouble, but she certainly solved that problem against Seton Hall.

To me, Aaliyah exemplifies energy and toughness in the post. Her fouls in the past have come mostly from trying too hard to get a rebound or a loose ball. Her play near the basket allows Liv to play in the high post and distribute the ball, which is the kind of game that she (Liv) prefers to play. Now that Liv is starting to hit a decent percentage of her jump shots, it becomes more reasonable to play her in that role, since opponents will have to guard her jump shot.

Aaliyah made several plays near the basket against Seton Hall that showed a high level of skill as well as energy. I saw a hook shot from about 5 feet to the right of the basket and several contested layups.

Yet I'm reading BY posts that say she is tentative, lacks energy, doesn't understand her role. I don't see any of that. Some people faulted her for not getting any assists, but (as with Christyn) her role on offense is to finish scoring plays, not to set up others. We shouldn't expect to see a lot of assists from either AE or Christyn, any more than one would expect a tight end (AE) or a wide receiver (CW) on a football team to have a lot of rushing yards.

Can someone tell us: what is your problem with Aaliyah Edwards?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think the issue with her, not specifically in the SHU game (and it's the same with Nika) is that when both were healthy and starting last season, both were really good. So the expectation was that over the summer, both would work on their games and show a sophomore leap this season.

To my viewing, both have regressed, not improved, since last season. It's mystifying because both of them supposedly worked on their game over the summer. I get that Aaliyah was with Team Canada, so maybe she really didn't work on her game as much as anyone thought.

Last season she didn't start, averaged 22 MPG, 10.7 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 1 steal/game and 1 block/game. She shot 69% from the floor and 64% FT's.

This season she's a starter. In 5 games, it's 23 MPG, 7 PPG, 3.8 RPG, 2 total steals and 1 total block. She's yet to attempt a FT. And she just doesn't look that good much of the time on the floor. Her assists, fouls, and TO's are roughly equivalent to last season, so not worse, but no improvement either.

She's a total beast. @MilfordHusky calls her Thor. She's as strong a (player pound for pound) that I can remember UCONN ever having. She should totally dominate any team who has post players not as big and/or strong as her. But given that she played less MPG, averaged more PPG and more RPG last season, had the whole summer to improve, but seems to have regressed is the reason some fans "have a problem" with her play. I certainly do.

Reaction Score
I tend tend to agree with you. Although, she was MIA in the first few games, she was better last night. Looking at the starting 5, AE Is the one unknown. I think we know what we are going to get from the other 4. The good, the bad, the ugly. So, the question is ….does AE grow from here and become a star or were the times of quality we saw last year…are..all we get?

She was my pick for the breakout player competing for AA status this year. I’m still hoping.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I like Aaliyah a lot, as I think most BY’ers do. I expect her to be a great player before she leaves Storrs. I think the concern about Aaliyah has more to do with expectations. After last season, everyone expected Aaliyah to be a beast this year.

She played OK vs SH. As you point out the turnovers were somewhat distressing. But her prior games, particularly against SC, were disappointing.

I have stated previously that Aaliyah’s stint on the Canadian Olympic team was the worst thing that could have happened to her. It cut short her time at Storrs practicing with her UConn teammates and improving her strength and conditioning with Andrea Hudy. While I am sure it was a great honor to represent her country, by her own admission, Aaliyah played very little basketball this summer with the Canadian Olympic team.

I think Aaliyah’s summer set her back, so we have yet to see the sophomore leap that seemed inevitable after last season. I think she’s playing catch-up now. But the good news is there’s still plenty of time left this season for Aaliyah to play up to her exceptional potential.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I like Aaliyah a lot, as I think most BY’ers do. I expect her to be a great player before she leaves Storrs. I think the concern about Aaliyah has more to do with expectations. After last season, everyone expected Aaliyah to be a beast this year.

She played OK vs SH. As you point out the turnovers were somewhat distressing. But her prior games, particularly against SC, were disappointing.

I have stated previously that Aaliyah’s stint on the Canadian Olympic team was the worst thing that could have happened to her. It cut short her time at Storrs practicing with her UConn teammates and improving her strength and conditioning with Andrea Hudy. While I am sure it was a great honor to represent her country, by her own admission, Aaliyah played very little basketball this summer with the Canadian Olympic team.

I think Aaliyah’s summer set her back, so we have yet to see the sophomore leap that seemed inevitable after last season. I think she’s playing catch-up now. But the good news is there’s still plenty of time left this season for Aaliyah to play up to her exceptional potential.
I completely agree that the Canadian Olympic experience set her back. Not just the lack of playing time but I think it was mentioned that they wanted her to play more of a wing position and making such a quick adjustment under new systems and minimal practice did not help. I still think her offensive game can be expanded slowly and I like her shooting form. I think she will quickly get back at least to her freshman performance and maybe push ahead in her development.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Only on the BY could playing on the Canadian Olympic be considered a bad thing. These mental gymnastics are incredible. 1) Playing on the Canadian National team did not seem to hurt Kia Nurse
2) Nika also skipped time with her national team to stay at UCONN and Nika also seems to have regressed- go figure! Aliyah is not playing as well as she ended last season could be a thousand reasons for that.

Reaction Score
Players are adjusting and so are the fans...specifically to not winning every game by 30, otherwise, the sky is falling. I don't see anything I didn't really expect to see. I haven't seen a D1 team yet that isn't going through growing pains...and that includes other sports. You take a a hiatus from what you normally do....and getting back to where you were...will be a challenge. I'm probably committing blasphemy in saying (out loud...lol) that I don't expect this team to win a national championship until Paige's junior and Senior year. Uconn is so phenomenal that it's hard for fans to admit or recognize when they are rebuilding.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Only on the BY could playing on the Canadian Olympic be considered a bad thing. These mental gymnastics are incredible. 1) Playing on the Canadian National team did not seem to hurt Kia Nurse
2) Nika also skipped time with her national team to stay at UCONN and Nika also seems to have regressed- go figure! Aliyah is not playing as well as she ended last season could be a thousand reasons for that.
You make a fair point - I don't recall Kia's stats the season before and the season after the CNT stint. Did she just work harder on her game (Kia) over that summer than Liya did this past summer? Were the things Kia needed to improve easier to do with less practice? Kia DID play a lot more for Team Canada that summer than Liya did. Was that a factor (meaning did she practice a lot more with the starters and get to work more on her game)? Etc.

You are right - there are numerous reasons for that (you said "thousands" - please list them out LOL!!! :p ). Seriously, I did not mean to say that playing for Team Canada and being part of the Olympics was not a great thing for her. Once in a lifetime opportunity for most players. And of course, as a UCONN fan, I'm super proud of our North Of The Border Olympian...

But to my "non-coaching" eyes, she is "less" this season than she was last season. I have no idea why, so all I can do is speculate...

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Like several Huskies, expectations for Aaliyah pre season were extremely high. Stats probably don't back me up but silly fouls, defensive lapses and a drop in scoring stick out.

She also seems to be forcing her play. One of many again that are doing so. It is like they are afraid of the consequences when they screw up.

JMHO.

Reaction Score
This is my post on SH bad ass award,
"Honorable mentioned CW and Edwards."
But only 2 people give me "like", including @oldude :p.
I guess this award is in the eyes of the beholder. Other than Paige, no one deserved any kind of mention. Waiting for AE to win some outright.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse actually played on the Canadian Olympic team. Aaliyah barely saw the court either in exhibition games or the Olympics themselves.
Olivia Nelson also barely played on the US National Team during the Pam Am Games. It does not seem to have helped her game either. The experience appears to be what the player makes of it. Laughable that you think that Aaliyah would get a better development by staying at UCONN vs playing with Team Canada

Reaction Score
AE, as well as Nika have looked worse this season than they did last year. I think everyone expected them to be better and they haven’t shown they’ve improved at all yet. Even if they didn’t improve and they were playing the same way they did last year I don’t even think people would have a problem, but not only have they not improved they look worse. Not much else to say but that.

But honestly it doesn’t really look like anyones improved tremendously yet. It’s still early, maybe a little too early to be saying that. Evina, CW have showed some really bright glimpses but are clearly still inconsistent and struggle from deep. IMO Liv has been pretty consistent, so I don’t really have much complaints about her. Even Paige is having some issues, with her three point shot.

AE showed some positive glimpses last game, but is still not where she was last year. There’s still tons of time and hopefully they’ll figure it out, because we really need them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Olivia Nelson also barely played on the US National Team during the Pam Am Games. It does not seem to have helped her game either. The experience appears to be what the player makes of it. Laughable that you think that Aaliyah would get a better development by staying at UCONN vs playing with Team Canada
This thread is not about Liv or Nika, or even Kia. It’s about Aaliyah. As I stated earlier, by her own admission, Aaliyah acknowledged that she didn’t play very much basketball this summer. How can sitting on the bench all summer possibly be better for Aaliyah’s development than working with a coach that actually won two Olympic gold medals, and going hard in practice and in the weight room every day all summer?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You make a fair point - I don't recall Kia's stats the season before and the season after the CNT stint. Did she just work harder on her game (Kia) over that summer than Liya did this past summer? Were the things Kia needed to improve easier to do with less practice? Kia DID play a lot more for Team Canada that summer than Liya did. Was that a factor (meaning did she practice a lot more with the starters and get to work more on her game)? Etc.
You are right - there are numerous reasons for that (you said "thousands" - please list them out LOL!!! :p ). Seriously, I did not mean to say that playing for Team Canada and being part of the Olympics was not a great thing for her. Once in a lifetime opportunity for most players. And of course, as a UCONN fan, I'm super proud of our North Of The Border Olympian...
But to my "non-coaching" eyes, she is "less" this season than she was last season. I have no idea why, so all I can do is speculate...
Clearly you are forgetting about the 2015 Pan Am Games when a Kia Nurse lead team Canada & beat Moriah Jefferson and Stewie. Kia had only completed her UCONN Freshman season when that happened. That set of games was what propelled Kia into remaining a starter at UCONN, increasing her 3PT shooting and most importantly prove to her that if you can guard Moriah Jefferson you can probably guard anyone=future DPOY.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This thread is not about Liv or Nika, or even Kia. It’s about Aaliyah. As I stated earlier, by her own admission, Aaliyah acknowledged that she didn’t play very much basketball this summer. How can sitting on the bench all summer possibly be better for Aaliyah’s development than working with a coach that actually won two Olympic gold medals, and going hard in practice and in the weight room every day all summer?
So what happen to Nika who worked with the same coach who won two Olympic gold medals?

Reaction Score
To be fair she wouldn't have worked with a coach that won two Olympic gold medals if she was in Storrs for the summer. I believe basketball staff working with the players is not allowed, and one of the reasons Geno's buddy Jose was hit with a show-cause.

Reaction Score
We all assume everyone will have a sophomore leap, but that may not be a correct assumption for everyone. In particular, players who arrive as a "mature" freshman or come in as freshman with significant international experience.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So what happen to Nika who worked with the same coach who won two Olympic gold medals?
Not going to get into the weeds with you on this. Let’s stay focused on Aaliyah. I say her summer with the Canadian team is partly responsible for her slow start this season. If you think Aaliyah’s start is just fine then say so. If you don’t, and you don’t believe riding the bench with the Canadian Olympic team had anything to do with it, then tell us why you think Aaliyah’s play hasn’t been up to expectations.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
To be fair she wouldn't have worked with a coach that won two Olympic gold medals if she was in Storrs for the summer. I believe basketball staff working with the players is not allowed, and one of the reasons Geno's buddy Jose was hit with a show-cause.
Not exactly correct. NCAA rules now permit “skills training” sessions during summer workouts which can include on court training by the coaching staff for a specific number of hours per week.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To be fair she wouldn't have worked with a coach that won two Olympic gold medals if she was in Storrs for the summer. I believe basketball staff working with the players is not allowed, and one of the reasons Geno's buddy Jose was hit with a show-cause
The rules changed in 2016. As long are SA are enrolled in college classes athletes can spend up to 8 hours a week on required athletic activities during the off season and that goes up to 20 hours during the season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not going to get into the weeds with you on this. Let’s stay focused on Aaliyah. I say her summer with the Canadian team is partly responsible for her slow start this season. If you think Aaliyah’s start is just fine then say so. If you don’t, and you don’t believe riding the bench with the Canadian Olympic team had anything to do with it, then tell us why you think Aaliyah’s play hasn’t been up to expectations.
Nika didn't play for Team Cananda?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nika didn't play for Team Cananda?
As far as I know, “Cananda” didn’t qualify for the Olympics. In fact, it’s not even a country…….

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As far as I know, “Cananda” didn’t qualify for the Olympics. In fact, it’s not even a country…….
So she didn't play for them?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom