What Is [goin on] With Aaliyah Edwards? [Merged Thread] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

What Is [goin on] With Aaliyah Edwards? [Merged Thread]

Reaction Score
Oh, I forgot, those 3rd world Canadians don’t know about conditioning programs. I hear for weight lifting they tie rocks to broken hockey sticks.

Hopefully those intense summer training workouts you are talking about weren’t the catalyst for the overuse stress related injuries that several of the players are dealing with their feet.

Actually, the rocks we use are curling stones. The handles make it easier for us to tie the ropes to them. ;)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Actually, the rocks we use are curling stones. The handles make it easier for us to tie the ropes to them. ;)
I heard that curling was invented when some Canadians were trying to figure out a good use for all the fruitcakes they received during the Holidays. One of them said "Let's slide them out onto the frozen lake and they'll sink to the bottom when the ice melts eh?"

fruitcake_rock.jpg

Reaction Score
I heard that curling was invented when some Canadians were trying to figure out a good use for all the fruitcakes they received during the Holidays. One of them said "Let's slide them out onto the frozen lake and they'll sink to the bottom when the ice melts eh?"

View attachment 71801
Personally, if this is the true origin of curling, I support it 100%! Doesn't matter how much alcohol is added to the recipe. Fruitcakes are definitely boat anchors to me.

Reaction Score
Don't forget that also these sophomores are attending classes in person for the first time. Could be affecting folks differently than online/virtual classes. More of a true college experience. Who knows?

Reaction Score
AE took a nasty spill on a blocking foul (should have been a charge) and landed square on her back. Could explain why she didnt look too happy on the bench.

Reaction Score
I feel like this is a BY version of South Park's "Blame Canada" bit. A couple things:

1) The Canadian teams (Olympics and U19 squads) had a very different training experience this year compared to previous years. Players spent a lot more time in isolation due to COVID protocols than they typically would. I don't know if this was the same for other teams but it definitely left them a tad more restricted than other programs from what I observed.

2) The same could be said about players competing for USA Basketball if we're going to look at Aaliyah's participation from this perspective. Both Paopao and Fudd are dealing with nagging injuries since the summer/U19 tournament. Diamond Miller has been dealing with issues since competing for USA at the Americup. Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen the same comments being brought up in their case. And if it has, my apologies for the oversight.

These players made the decision to represent their countries. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. We're still in the early part of the season and Aaliyah can play her way through this in my opinion.
While I agree in general with your post, I don’t think any of the posters were “bashing” Canada. They were simply postulating that given the short term, intensely focused nature of Olympic training (for team sports that are put together temporarily), AE may have benefited more (basketball wise) by participating in the UConn offseason program instead. Of course, her experience playing for her country had/has benefits far beyond just basketball.

Reaction Score
I’ve noticed since the start of the season it’s not just her stats, her body language seems off since first game. Regardless if she scores or not she’s had the same body language of looking unenthused. (I bolded “looking” to highlight that this is only my perception, I can’t actually know how enthused she truly is on the inside, some may just show emotion differently and that’s okay).

Aaliyah is not playing the way she was last year in the ncaa tourney and her body language is different as well. last year she was jumping up and down hyping herself and her teammates up, just looks less enthused this year. and we must take players’ performance at face value for what they are doing now. no “well last year she did x,y,z,” this is right now not last year. good call on geno to get her out of the starting lineup for the time being. its a long season, she can still prove herself in practices and by being one of the first off the bench.

oh and need to work on her shooting really really bad. between ONO and AE we have the worst front court shooting form, both players cranking the ball behind the top of their heads with their elbows straight up, results in shooting flat liners. with flat liners you have to be even more precise. get some arc on that shot!

all in all these are fixable things i believe. i have full belief she can get to where she wants to be, just has to take a different path and work extra hard!
The flat trajectories and the rainbows are all prayers, " I hope I can, I hope I can." They both need gym time, with someone in front, just shoot, shoot, shoot.

Reaction Score
I think the team is adjusting to a new system where they are trying to slow the pace down and set up the offense. Could take some time to see how things work out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While I agree in general with your post, I don’t think any of the posters were “bashing” Canada. They were simply postulating that given the short term, intensely focused nature of Olympic training (for team sports that are put together temporarily), AE may have benefited more (basketball wise) by participating in the UConn offseason program instead. Of course, her experience playing for her country had/has benefits far beyond just basketball.
Those poster were definitely "bashing" Canada. Specifically for not playing AE enough during the Olympics where she only played :31 seconds in two games-by far the lowest on the team. There was the additions implications/statements that AE was playing out of position (guard) and that she deserved to play play much more than Laeticia Amihere of SC. It is clearly double case of our girls syndrome and participation trophy mentality where a UCONN player selected for the Olympics "deserved" to be handed minutes. The simple reality that those posters cannot come to grips with is: AE was struggling with Team Canada just as she is now and more playing time was not justified.

Reaction Score
AE's struggles are particularly heartbreaking because she was SO DARN GOOD last season. She set the bar of expectations so high for herself that everybody seems to believe that a "Sophomore Slump" just will not be allowed.
Her seeming regression is more keenly felt now that we are so shorthanded in the back court.
The "Old AE" would be a great help down low to put back some of these bricks and give our depleted guards some breathing room in the lane.
We can only hope that whatever is troubling her is resolved soon.

Reaction Score
With the improved play of Dorka and IV, do they move ahead of AE in starting?

Reaction Score
With the improved play of Dorka and IV, do they move ahead of AE in starting?
Not sure who has the initials "IV", but does it matter if she starts or comes off the bench? Once Aaliyah gets back on track, she's contributing regardless.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Yeah - I haven't had to translate Roman numerals since grade school. I'm going to need a thread with the official BY short hand for all the players at this rate :D
I'm going to need an IV (intravenus feeding) if people dream up such impossible-to-decode acronyms for players. What is wrong with Caroline Ducharme?

Reaction Score
I'm going to need an IV (intravenus feeding) if people dream up such impossible-to-decode acronyms for players. What is wrong with Caroline Ducharme?
That's what I thought was the short hand for Caroline. I'm not the only one..........phew!

Reaction Score
What's wrong with simply saying Caroline? It's 5 more letters/keystrokes but no more confusion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom