What Is [goin on] With Aaliyah Edwards? [Merged Thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What Is [goin on] With Aaliyah Edwards? [Merged Thread]

Reaction Score
She's definitely off, but it may not be as bad as some are perceiving it to be. I took a stab at comparing her stats with Dorka's and Olivia's to see if it could shed some insight.

The stats show a mix of things. Her field goal percentage, including the 2 games she was scoreless is 0.488. In comparison Dorka's is 0.333 and Olivia's is 0.576. So she's in the middle of the pack.

Turnovers for all three players aren't good at all as they all have 10+. The rebounding is perplexing as she's averaging 3.4, where Dorka is 4.4 and Oliva is 7.7.

Based on this, for me, I'm in the anomaly camp on this one. I believe she'll figure things out and get back on track.

Reaction Score
I'm sure it can't just be me that thinks Aaliyah has looked poor all season. Last season she was definitely better than I expected and going into the summer with the Canadian national team I thought that would only improve her. Other college players like Shaina Pellington (Arizona) and Laeticia Amihere (South Carolina) the experience in the summer has clearly been beneficial and they have both seemed to have improved immensely over the summer, I just don't see the same thing with Aaliyah which is unfortunate because she looked promising last year.

Reaction Score
I'm sure it can't just be me that thinks Aaliyah has looked poor all season. Last season she was definitely better than I expected and going into the summer with the Canadian national team I thought that would only improve her. Other college players like Shaina Pellington (Arizona) and Laeticia Amihere (South Carolina) the experience in the summer has clearly been beneficial and they have both seemed to have improved immensely over the summer, I just don't see the same thing with Aaliyah which is unfortunate because she looked promising last year.

Reaction Score
I’ve noticed since the start of the season it’s not just her stats, her body language seems off since first game. Regardless if she scores or not she’s had the same body language of looking unenthused. (I bolded “looking” to highlight that this is only my perception, I can’t actually know how enthused she truly is on the inside, some may just show emotion differently and that’s okay).

Aaliyah is not playing the way she was last year in the ncaa tourney and her body language is different as well. last year she was jumping up and down hyping herself and her teammates up, just looks less enthused this year. and we must take players’ performance at face value for what they are doing now. no “well last year she did x,y,z,” this is right now not last year. good call on geno to get her out of the starting lineup for the time being. its a long season, she can still prove herself in practices and by being one of the first off the bench.

oh and need to work on her shooting really really bad. between ONO and AE we have the worst front court shooting form, both players cranking the ball behind the top of their heads with their elbows straight up, results in shooting flat liners. with flat liners you have to be even more precise. get some arc on that shot!

all in all these are fixable things i believe. i have full belief she can get to where she wants to be, just has to take a different path and work extra hard!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought AE had her best game of the season against UCLA. She finally played with fire, had the steal for a break away drive and layup. Been a long while coming this year. Maybe the arrival of Dorka and Amari put her in a funk. Who knows but it was good to see her back to normal. As for Amari not getting more time in that game - she was the back up in case of foul problems and Geno was still working on a starting 5 that failed miserably the game before.

Reaction Score
I agree about Edwards playing better, she was active and scored some points in limited minutes, I'm happy with that. Maybe she'll do even better next time.
What I really like seeing is the joy that the team showed against UCLA! Didn't it seem like they were happy and relaxed? Love seeing them bond together- they are easy to root for. And as the chemistry develops and strategies without Paige become clearer, I think they are going to keep getting better. When the 4th quarter started, I was nervous given our two losses that had 4th quarter collapses, but UConn played great for the most part, and how nice it was to see them go on a run. Just like the old days!
One area that could get better is quickly getting passes to open teammates. When Edwards is in, she clears space and wants the ball- we need to get her the ball before opportunity closes. Also, Ducharme and Juhacz are showing how they like to dive towards the basket. Maybe we will get better setting picks to free them for quick pass.
Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Kia Nurse actually played on the Canadian Olympic team. Aaliyah barely saw the court either in exhibition games or the Olympics themselves.
Just because she didn’t get in the games doesn’t mean she didn’t play basketball. There were probably 4 times as many practices as there were games. I’m sure Aaliyah played more than enough basketball over the summer. Just the typical sophomore slump, she will be fine.

Reaction Score
I know a lot of people said that going to the Olympics was good for her, but maybe the workouts not being with her team have her out of sync with the team.

Reaction Score
I know a lot of people said that going to the Olympics was good for her, but maybe the workouts not being with her team have her out of sync with the team.
Playing for her country is more important in the grand scheme of things than being in sync with her UConn teammates. Just need in to be in sync be the Big East tournament.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just because she didn’t get in the games doesn’t mean she didn’t play basketball. There were probably 4 times as many practices as there were games. I’m sure Aaliyah played more than enough basketball over the summer. Just the typical sophomore slump, she will be fine.
By her own admission, Aaliyah didn’t play much basketball this past summer. She was the 12th player on a 12 player team, so even when the team was practicing 5 on 5, she was not playing very much basketball. Even more important, she also missed the intense summer conditioning program of Andrea Hudy.

Reaction Score
Could be, but I don't think that's it. It's not like she never played for UConn before. No one left since last year. She played with these guys under the same system. Practiced with them for a couple of months. So, I think it's something else. What it might be, I have no clue.

Reaction Score
I posted this in a different thread, but belongs here... (I thought she showed more energy against UCLA)

One comment on AE. In the UCLA game she was force to play the 3 and stay on the perimeter for about 80-90% of the time she was in the game. That is out of position for her and puts her in the position where she almost has to take the 20 footers to keep the defense honest. It must be very frustrating for her to be forced to play out of position and not be able to produce in the way she did last year.

Did anyone else notice that when she was at the 4, she did a great job on #24 UCLA who was pushing both Dorka and Liv way deep and scoring easily. Also she was the initiator of all of those massive pile ups under the hoop (she is still so strong).

Reaction Score
By her own admission, Aaliyah didn’t play much basketball this past summer. She was the 12th player on a 12 player team, so even when the team was practicing 5 on 5, she was not playing very much basketball. Even more important, she also missed the intense summer conditioning program of Andrea Hudy.
Oh, I forgot, those 3rd world Canadians don’t know about conditioning programs. I hear for weight lifting they tie rocks to broken hockey sticks.

Hopefully those intense summer training workouts you are talking about weren’t the catalyst for the overuse stress related injuries that several of the players are dealing with their feet.

Reaction Score
maybe too intense

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oh, I forgot, those 3rd world Canadians don’t know about conditioning programs. I hear for weight lifting they tie rocks to broken hockey sticks.

Hopefully those intense summer training workouts you are talking about weren’t the catalyst for the overuse stress related injuries that several of the players are dealing with their feet.
Don’t confuse Olympic teams with college programs. Olympic teams are national all star teams with a short period of time to get ready for a two week competition. Conditioning and/or player development is not a major focus. Integrating a group of diverse players for a run at a medal is the focus.

Canada was considered an outside possibility for a medal. I strongly suspect that the coach figured out pretty quickly who her rotation was going to be and she focused her attention on that group.

I’m not seeing that Aaliyah didn’t receive some coaching from the Canadian staff, and I certainly respect the achievement of Aaliyah playing for her country, but there’s no doubt in my mind that her development would have been better served at UConn.

Reaction Score

Don’t confuse Olympic teams with college programs. Olympic teams are national all star teams with a short period of time to get ready for a two week competition. Conditioning and/or player development is not a major focus. Integrating a group of diverse players for a run at a medal is the focus.

Canada was considered an outside possibility for a medal. I strongly suspect that the coach figured out pretty quickly who her rotation was going to be and she focused her attention on that group.

I’m not seeing that Aaliyah didn’t receive some coaching from the Canadian staff, and I certainly respect the achievement of Aaliyah playing for her country, but there’s no doubt in my mind that her development would have been better served at UConn.

I feel like this is a BY version of South Park's "Blame Canada" bit. A couple things:

1) The Canadian teams (Olympics and U19 squads) had a very different training experience this year compared to previous years. Players spent a lot more time in isolation due to COVID protocols than they typically would. I don't know if this was the same for other teams but it definitely left them a tad more restricted than other programs from what I observed.

2) The same could be said about players competing for USA Basketball if we're going to look at Aaliyah's participation from this perspective. Both Paopao and Fudd are dealing with nagging injuries since the summer/U19 tournament. Diamond Miller has been dealing with issues since competing for USA at the Americup. Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen the same comments being brought up in their case. And if it has, my apologies for the oversight.

These players made the decision to represent their countries. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. We're still in the early part of the season and Aaliyah can play her way through this in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I like Aaliyah a lot, as I think most BY’ers do. I expect her to be a great player before she leaves Storrs. I think the concern about Aaliyah has more to do with expectations. After last season, everyone expected Aaliyah to be a beast this year.

She played OK vs SH. As you point out the turnovers were somewhat distressing. But her prior games, particularly against SC, were disappointing.

I have stated previously that Aaliyah’s stint on the Canadian Olympic team was the worst thing that could have happened to her. It cut short her time at Storrs practicing with her UConn teammates and improving her strength and conditioning with Andrea Hudy. While I am sure it was a great honor to represent her country, by her own admission, Aaliyah played very little basketball this summer with the Canadian Olympic team.

I think Aaliyah’s summer set her back, so we have yet to see the sophomore leap that seemed inevitable after last season. I think she’s playing catch-up now. But the good news is there’s still plenty of time left this season for Aaliyah to play up to her exceptional potential.
I think that sums up what many of us think but I don't think that explains her energy level, or Nika's also. I think that there is a certain amount of burn out that comes from playing all year round (just being on a team), and injuries too. I don't see any skill improvement in either one of them. As to AE specifically, her moves with the ball last year under the basket were more fluid and she finished. This year she is having real problems executing, her passing is poor, and she just seems out of sync. Her defense can also be a problem. She frequently gives up baseline and doesn't box out. She just seems lost out there right now.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think that sums up what many of us think but I don't think that explains her energy level, or Nika's also. I think that there is a certain amount of burn out that comes from playing all year round (just being on a team), and injuries too. I don't see any skill improvement in either one of them. As to AE specifically, her moves with the ball last year under the basket were more fluid and she finished. This year she is having real problems executing, her passing is poor, and she just seems out of sync. Her defense can also be a problem. She frequently gives up baseline and doesn't box out. She just seems lost out there right now.
I agree on Aaliyah’s energy level, until the UCLA game, when I felt she really played hard, maybe a little too hard, because she didn’t have a great game. But her “pick 6” steal and basket in the second half was a big play in the game. If I was Geno, in order to build up Aaliyah’s confidence, I might show her that one play on film a few dozen times. :)

Reaction Score
Ciao, I join the chorus of those who think that
AE has some problem ...
we are with her in supporting her with all the patience possible, we see that she slams into the field, but I think she is too frenetic in her rushes to the basket ...
last year she was fine, this year it seems that she is 1 cm from the basket and she is afraid and wrong roughly the baskets that are already 'made !!
We're sorry, if she doesn't get there under patience, but since she gets there she should make a basket ... she can't finish with 0 and 3 points all the time (so to speak).
After Caroline, Dorka we wait for Aaliyah ...
Forza Uconn

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I posted this in a different thread, but belongs here... (I thought she showed more energy against UCLA)
One comment on AE. In the UCLA game she was force to play the 3 and stay on the perimeter for about 80-90% of the time she was in the game. That is out of position for her and puts her in the position where she almost has to take the 20 footers to keep the defense honest. It must be very frustrating for her to be forced to play out of position and not be able to produce in the way she did last year.
Did anyone else notice that when she was at the 4, she did a great job on #24 UCLA who was pushing both Dorka and Liv way deep and scoring easily. Also she was the initiator of all of those massive pile ups under the hoop (she is still so strong).
AE also started the GT game at the SF position and noticeably struggled with the movement and spacing required of that position in the offense. However, her struggles are not new and go all the way back to the beginning of the season. AE was an explosive athlete an incredible finisher at the basket, and displayed a great set of hands-last season. This year she appears a step slower, has fumbled many passes in scoring position and I have not seen much in the way of explosive plays from her. Starting or coming off the bench AE was an impact player last season. AE needs to get back to impacting games and I think she will.

Reaction Score

too loud ..... as a joke between neighbors !!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom