What Impact, if any, Will UNC's Recruiting Jackpot Have on Our Recruiting Saniya and Others? | The Boneyard

What Impact, if any, Will UNC's Recruiting Jackpot Have on Our Recruiting Saniya and Others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I confess to being awe struck!

Over the week-end the UNC has propelled itself back into the discussion of elite WBB programs.

Accepting that there will, in all likelihood, be both positive and negative ramifications at some point down the road for UNC and its returning players.

What concerns me is that DD's commitment to UNC leaves us with just one player being offered for the class of 2013.

Should I be worried about a repeat of the 2009 recruiting class?

Peace,

John Fryer

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What concerns me is that DD's commitment to UNC leaves us with just one player being offered for the class of 2013.

John Fryer
We don't know the actual number of girls that have scholarship offers, only the ones that have been announed in the media. As for being worried, I'm certainly not. Only one of the players, Diamond, was a UConn recruit so I don't see how the Huskies suffered any serious damage.

The commitments by the players yesterday may actually clear the logjam a bit and make other girls look more seriously at their offers. Some may make the jump just to be sure
they get the school they'd truly like to attend.

As for that small class of 2009, I wouldn't trade Kelly for almost all of her peers from that class. She is a gem.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have to agree with Nan on this. but it's a good question, John. Obviously it's a loss - DD going to UNC. most seemed to think UCONN was in the lead with it ultimately coming down to Maryland or UCONN. i don't know if the coaches even saw that coming.

UCONN is apparently still involved with Chong, McCall, Samuelson, and Harper. McCall and Harper, and possibly Chong, are all top 10 type kids. From what i read, McCall may be deciding between UCONN and Stanford. on the surface i don't like our chances of getting a kid from California who has Stanford as one of her top schools. but on paper i never thought UNC was even IN the DD sweepstakes, so what do any of us fans know, eh?!

the problem facing the 2013 recruiting class is that 1 year ahead of them, Bree, Moriah and Morgan are all uber-elite. 2 years ahead of them, KML is uber elite and Kiah has a ton of potential. when they are freshmen, Bria and Stef will be seniors so they will also be playing behind them. it's a great situation for a talented and truely team player who doesn't covet a starting spot from day 1. but the fact is that for 2 years, any kid will be likely looking up at 4-6 players.

I tend to worry, but that's me. i'd love a class of 3. 1 or 2 top 10 kids and 1 or 2 others. but the coaches are out there recruiting their collective butts off and all we can do is sit back and watch it unfold...

Reaction Score
It is the toughest job in sports..RECRUITING and Geno and staff do an awesome job......

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
But now it seems the inmates are running the asylum.
It will be interesting to see how all the other kids react.
The significance of social media and its effect on 21st C, teenenagers (to paraphrase an interesting analysis on the UTENN board) was widely underestimated)
And lets not forget that DD's dad has more than a little experience in sports management from both sides of the aisle.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I read an article recently about how UNC basketball players (men's) are more marketable once they reach the pros. Make more money, more endorsements, etc. I don't know that this is true for the women, but maybe DD et al are trying to start a dynasty there.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
We don't know the actual number of girls that have scholarship offers, only the ones that have been announed in the media. As for being worried, I'm certainly not. Only one of the players, Diamond, was a UConn recruit so I don't see how the Huskies suffered any serious damage.

The commitments by the players yesterday may actually clear the logjam a bit and make other girls look more seriously at their offers. Some may make the jump just to be sure
they get the school they'd truly like to attend.

As for that small class of 2009, I wouldn't trade Kelly for almost all of her peers from that class. She is a gem.
I agree that the logjam may be cleared now with the recent commitments to UNC and Notre Dame. McCall and Harper are fine players who would be terrific for UConn, as would Chong. Hopefully they see opportunity both to be part of something special at UConn and to get meaningul PT (albeit less rapidly than at other programs).

However, I would argue that the 2009 class of one was not one that we want to repeat. If you look at the 2008-10 classes, UConn got 10 LOIs that produced four and half big-time contributors (Tiff, Kelly, Stef, Bria, and Caroline as the half). The point is that one small class is OK, but you start losing your margin for error when other classes surrounding it don't produce like you might anticipate. Yes, UConn has gone to four straight F4s and won two NCs since the recruiting class of 2008 set foot on campus, but the results would have been even greater with either more players in 2009 or a grater hit rate in the classes preceding and succeeding it. Now, everyone fully expects the 2012 class to be stellar, but a class of one this season would put a LOT of pressure on having a strong class of 2014.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Well, UCONN has a great class coming in, and also made it to the final four in a" transition" year. It will be interesting to watch UNC deal with that type of challenge.

It is my position that UCONN Women's Basketball, which is neither easy or comfortable, which can have cold and harsh weather, has no hidden agenda, but rather a set of goals, rules, and practices determined by tradition and method...players embrace the program, but the substance of such resides outside of any one individual. It is why UCONN is not for everyone, but in fact that is the beauty of it... UCONN wins when it wins, and wins when it loses. Take it to the bank.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Great points by all.

Here is my 2cents!

Am I upset that DD didnt commit to UCONN? A little and I will likely get over by Monday morning.

We have a strong group of women that suit up each and every game and play hard. They play hard because they want to play hard and UCONN has an amazing coaching staff. We lost out on DD yes, but again, the cupboard is NOT bare in 2013.

If you speculate that GA and crew take 2-3 recruits I think there is plenty of that left on the board. McCall, Chong, Harper, and Samuelson are the ones mentioned. There may be a few more that we as fans don't know about (Anyone remember Brianna Banks commitment? Most of us knew nothing about her and that has worked out just fine.)

Also, I feel losing out on DD will likely open the door for Sierra Calhoun. I think Geno will get what he needs from the 2013 class and maybe start taking harder looks at the 2014 group.

Recruiting is a game in and of itself. And playing any kind of game with teenage girls making huge decisions can be a roll of the dice in any direction!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

GO UCONN!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I too am disappointed about not getting Diamond. I thought her athleticism and Geno's coaching would make her a transcendent player. It's hard to say because we don't know the full context, but Diamond's statement suggested that she and UConn were not a good fit.

As Alex notes, the margin for error is smaller. We need 2 things from 2013: players and good players. A 1-player class is not desirable, even if it is a great player. A 0 player class would be a big problem. A class of 3, with 2 major contributors, would be great.

I think this actually improves our chances with the remaining recruits, to the extent that PT was a concern. McCall would be a nice get if we can beat out Stanford et al. Chong seems like a great fit, including her location. Harper sounds like a player, and Samuelson is a stellar shooter. I wonder if there are others being considered.

I think Diamond's decision means that we get Sierra Calhoun. Brianna Turner will be a major target for 2014, maybe even more than Diamond was. The events of this weekend may help us in 2014, unless there is a new package-deal model for recruiting. If we have small or relatively weak classes in both 2013 and 2014, we will struggle to make the Final Four in 2017. Whether the greatness that we expect through 2016 will continue beyond that hinges on decisions made by 15-17 year-old kids.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I'm not worried at all, but I would simply hate to have a one-player class again. The short bench scenario got really cold in 2011, and with another couple of strong players (even one), we would probably have won the NC. You have to have enough players to withstand the inevitable injuries and last minute backouts. Now that the shock surrounding DD et al. is over, I'm starting to feel good about UNC rebuilding its program (this is not a comment about HOW it seems to have been rebuilding). The more class-A teams the better for WCBB, so bring it on (as long as we win....).

Reaction Score
Diamond's commitment with three or four of the other top recruits in 2013 make sense from her perspective. She and her friends have decided to put NC WBB back on the map again. Theywill have more input and responsibility for NC's WBB success than they would have at any other top school. It is similar to Sue, Swin, et al a number of years ago at UConn.

I doubt if we end up with many recruits from the 2013 class. The recruits see the players ahead of them at UConn and know that they won't get a chance to play significant minutes for probably 2 years.

I think the class will most likely be 2 recruits at most. McCall and Samulelson will probably go to Stanford if they are accepted.

Reaction Score
If you are talented,hard working,and listen to the teachings of the coaches,playing time is yours.We saw that repeatedly last year,withm Kiah,as an example.Alot of young ladies have gone elsewhere,for a variety of reasons,and that is okay,because you have to want to be more than you think you could be,to wear the blue and white.Diamond will do well,but,even with all her talent,it does not necessarily lead to greatness.Desire to be the best,and coaching to show you how to be the best,usually equates to greatness.Best wishes to Diamond,and her friends,but,I wouldn't worry about Geno and staff missing out on 2013.We have seen it before,that,overall,girls he and his staff gets are exceptional,and become ultra exceptional,and whether 1,2,or 3 in a class,is not a concern,but quality is.I agree with Nan,I wouldn't take anyone in her class over Kelly.Who would have even guessed Stef would be as good as she has become or will become.Who would have seen the potential of Kiah to become extra special down the road.I trust,whomever the team gets,will serve the role assigned to them,and will be someone we will be most happy with,a TRUE Husky!!

Reaction Score
Wow! I just read Nan's Recruiting page and learned that we have offered Saniya!!

Yea! Yea!

Thanks Nan!

Peace,

John Fryer

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
One thing is pretty sure. Chong won't go to UNC cuz there's no room at the inn.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I have to agree with Nan on this. but it's a good question, John. Obviously it's a loss - DD going to UNC. most seemed to think UCONN was in the lead with it ultimately coming down to Maryland or UCONN. i don't know if the coaches even saw that coming.

UCONN is apparently still involved with Chong, McCall, Samuelson, and Harper. McCall and Harper, and possibly Chong, are all top 10 type kids. From what i read, McCall may be deciding between UCONN and Stanford. on the surface i don't like our chances of getting a kid from California who has Stanford as one of her top schools. but on paper i never thought UNC was even IN the DD sweepstakes, so what do any of us fans know, eh?!

the problem facing the 2013 recruiting class is that 1 year ahead of them, Bree, Moriah and Morgan are all uber-elite. 2 years ahead of them, KML is uber elite and Kiah has a ton of potential. when they are freshmen, Bria and Stef will be seniors so they will also be playing behind them. it's a great situation for a talented and truely team player who doesn't covet a starting spot from day 1. but the fact is that for 2 years, any kid will be likely looking up at 4-6 players.

I tend to worry, but that's me. i'd love a class of 3. 1 or 2 top 10 kids and 1 or 2 others. but the coaches are out there recruiting their collective butts off and all we can do is sit back and watch it unfold...
thats why I hate when UConn loses guys like Michela Johnson.. you need those "role players"

too many "elite" players on any team back to back will definetly will cause players to go elsewhere (and it has nothing to do with "guess UConn wasnt for them"). Why waste 2, possible 3, years playing behind someone when you can start on just about any other school?

and some players really need to understand they aren't elite as they think. I applaud those you ride the pine at UConn for sticking it out... enjoy the whole "Elite Journey"

Reaction Score
I must confess that I have not been following this recruiting thing with UNC, but if history is any indicator, I would have to put out an example. Michigan's Fab 5. Until Carolina wins 1 2 or 3 NC's, with this group, then all this group is is a POTENTIAL "dynasty". I for, one, am not excited about UNC's team. There is a thing called "chemistry". Throw 3, 4, or 5 All-Stars together, and you may not get the results you are looking for. For better of worse, Geno, CD, Shea, et. al., know how to meld the pieces into a working product. Carolina..........................THAT REMAINS TO BE SEEN. So before a lot of you get all in a lather about this years UNC's recruiting "bonanza", remember this.............................YOU HAVE TO PLAY THE GAME ON THE COURT.

Reaction Score
I confess to being awe struck!

Over the week-end the UNC has propelled itself back into the discussion of elite WBB programs.

Accepting that there will, in all likelihood, be both positive and negative ramifications at some point down the road for UNC and its returning players.

Peace,

John Fryer
Someone said there maybe a trend of package classes. in 2014 Sierra is coming to Storrs no matter what other girls do. Both location and her brother. Maybe at the USA tryouts she helps put the package together and helps us get Turner and others. Remember Kirsten Walters, and KML seem to be the lead to other, so Sierra maybe the next recruiter if this is a trend.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One event does not constitute a trend. There have been other instances spread out through the years, usually involving sisters, or best friends or teammates, and of course our own Tassk force. I really do not see this as the start of a trend. Yes there are more ways for kids to connect across the country, but college will continue to be primarily an individual decision as it has been through the years.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
thats why I hate when UConn loses guys like Michela Johnson.. you need those "role players"

too many "elite" players on any team back to back will definetly will cause players to go elsewhere (and it has nothing to do with "guess UConn wasnt for them"). Why waste 2, possible 3, years playing behind someone when you can start on just about any other school?

and some players really need to understand they aren't elite as they think. I applaud those you ride the pine at UConn for sticking it out... enjoy the whole "Elite Journey"
but not everyone wants to do that. Michala was ranked in the top 20 before her 2 ACL's basically cost her 2 years. i think she wanted to eventually be a starter, or at least a key reserve, not a bench warmer only playing at the end of blowouts. Heather and Lauren probably would be starters on many WCBB teams - even mid level majors. i think there's definitely a "giving up" of playing time and personal stats, but the offset is the chance to win multiple NC's, not to mention all the BE championships.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One event does not constitute a trend. There have been other instances spread out through the years, usually involving sisters, or best friends or teammates, and of course our own Tassk force. I really do not see this as the start of a trend. Yes there are more ways for kids to connect across the country, but college will continue to be primarily an individual decision as it has been through the years.

The old saying goes, "once is an occurance, twice is a coincidence, three times is a trend."

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
but not everyone wants to do that. Michala was ranked in the top 20 before her 2 ACL's basically cost her 2 years. i think she wanted to eventually be a starter, or at least a key reserve, not a bench warmer only playing at the end of blowouts. Heather and Lauren probably would be starters on many WCBB teams - even mid level majors. i think there's definitely a "giving up" of playing time and personal stats, but the offset is the chance to win multiple NC's, not to mention all the BE championships.
understood... but someone isnt gonna play. Do you get players ranked #50 plus and hope they are happy sitting on the pine?

Reaction Score
Chong will be able to judge for herself whether she's good enough to get minutes at UConn during the U18 trials in a couple of weeks. Whether she picks UConn, UNC or somewhere else is impossible to predict but I'd guess that weekend playing with Stewart Jefferson and Tuck may go a long way in helping to make up her mind.

Reaction Score
It will have absolutely no impact whatsoever. UConn will continue to get more than its share of the top recruits they pursue, and will only see a relatively small number of its recruiting interests go elsewhere.

Reaction Score
I must confess that I have not been following this recruiting thing with UNC, but if history is any indicator, I would have to put out an example. Michigan's Fab 5. Until Carolina wins 1 2 or 3 NC's, with this group, then all this group is is a POTENTIAL "dynasty". I for, one, am not excited about UNC's team. There is a thing called "chemistry". Throw 3, 4, or 5 All-Stars together, and you may not get the results you are looking for. For better of worse, Geno, CD, Shea, et. al., know how to meld the pieces into a working product. Carolina..........................THAT REMAINS TO BE SEEN. So before a lot of you get all in a lather about this years UNC's recruiting "bonanza", remember this.............................YOU HAVE TO PLAY THE GAME ON THE COURT.

The Fab Five were the national runners up in both their freshman and sophmore seasons together. an unprecedented accomplishmnet to not only start five freshman on a top college basketball team, but for a team with five starting freshmen to advance to the Final Four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom