What if....Benedict to Hurley: “We’ll be in ACC by the final year of your contract” | The Boneyard

What if....Benedict to Hurley: “We’ll be in ACC by the final year of your contract”

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Was this part of the sweetener? Just spit balling and bored now that we have a b-ball coach.

Reaction Score
Was this part of the sweetener? Just spit balling and bored now that we have a b-ball coach.

I'm sorry. That's assinine.

The answer is no. Coaches can pull that crap on recruits. Hurley knows that Benedict doesn't know anything more than Hurley does about the future.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'm sorry. That's assinine.

The answer is no. Coaches can pull that crap on recruits. Hurley knows that Benedict doesn't know anything more than Hurley does about the future.
Flood was telling RU recruits about the B1G before it happened.

Reaction Score

Did you read what you responded to? I said you could pull that crap on recruits. Is Danny Hurley a high school kid with bid dreams? Or a middle aged man who has taken two programs not used to going to the Dance dancing with a hall of fame coach father?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Did you read what you responded to? I said you could pull that crap on recruits. Is Danny Hurley a high school kid with bid dreams? Or a middle aged man who has taken two programs not used to going to the Dance dancing with a hall of fame coach father?
Oh my bad

Reaction Score

There are scores of coaches who told recruits their team was moving to a different conference when it was wishful thinking and not a fact. Flood was lucky that his wish came true. If you think he actually knew it for a fact and was telling kids it was happening but donors and reporters didn't know about it, you need to rethink your analytic skills..

Reaction Score
If not the ACC then maybe the Big 10. I am completely speculating but after watching the press conference last week it seems DB was emphatic about UCONN's commitment to being an elite basketball program. To hold any really merit behind the claim it can be assumed plans are coming together that put us in a better conference in the next 3 to 5 years. Back room conversations need to be going on, and its not unreasonable to assume that conference and our future were discussed with Hurley.

Reaction Score
Just so you guys know, I expect any moment that Tom Brady is going to call me and let me know that Gisele is just too much woman for him and that he needs me to........well.........step in. Thinking I should probably wait for Tom's call before telling my wife.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Just so you guys know, I expect any moment that Tom Brady is going to call me and let me know that Gisele is just too much woman for him and that he needs me to...well....step in. Thinking I should probably wait for Tom's call before telling my wife.
"What if" Tom calls your wife first and asks if it's okay. You know what? You should just let her know you'd be interested. Just in case.

Reaction Score
"What if" Tom calls your wife first and asks if it's okay. You know what? You should just let her know you'd be interested. Just in case.

In order of the least probable to occur:
My wife OKs my taking on Gisele for Tom
ADB tells Hurley we’re going to the ACC to entice him to be UCONN’s next HC
Tom calls for a hand with Gisele

Mother of god........reading these boards over all these years has turned me into a lunatic and degenerate!

Reaction Score
If not the ACC then maybe the Big 10. I am completely speculating but after watching the press conference last week it seems DB was emphatic about UCONN's commitment to being an elite basketball program. To hold any really merit behind the claim it can be assumed plans are coming together that put us in a better conference in the next 3 to 5 years. Back room conversations need to be going on, and its not unreasonable to assume that conference and our future were discussed with Hurley.
You can commit to being an elite basketball program without being in the ACC or Big 10. Look at Gonzaga and Villanova, just for example. Are they not elite basketball programs? I really believe now that CR has left UConn behind in terms of getting to a P5 conference. Hurley may eventually end up in the ACC, but I doubt that UConn will be joining him there. Make the best of what you are, and enjoy it. Hopefully, the men's basketball program can become elite again while being a member of the AAC.

Reaction Score
You can commit to being an elite basketball program without being in the ACC or Big 10. Look at Gonzaga and Villanova, just for example. Are they not elite basketball programs? I really believe now that CR has left UConn behind in terms of getting to a P5 conference. Hurley may eventually end up in the ACC, but I doubt that UConn will be joining him there. Make the best of what you are, and enjoy it. Hopefully, the men's basketball program can become elite again while being a member of the AAC.

I do agree with the your point. And it may be the route we are force to go, but what I was suggesting is more of a hope/prayer and a read into what DB was really saying. He has fielded hundreds of emails and heard endless amounts of complaints from the fan base about the conference. So is it a giant leap to assume him saying something about being "elite" is a potential nod/wink to the fans and alumni that he knows/understands and is working on it. This is complete speculation and hopeful thinking backed with no real data, information, and is posted on a message board about conference realignment for conversation sake.

Those suggesting that this is as likely as Gisele needing them... ya you're probably right in that has as much merit as DB having back room meetings about the future of our conference at this point in time.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

Mother of god...reading these boards over all these years has turned me into a lunatic and degenerate!

Yes, it absolutely has. You are both a lunatic and a degenerate. But at least your a funny lunatic, or is it just a looney lunatic?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Mother of god...reading these boards over all these years has turned me into a lunatic and degenerate!
Uh huh, it was the board that turned you into a degenerate. :rolleyes:;)

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I still hold out a little hope for us to get a seat, but that overly optimistic view will likely change after whatever does or doesn't happen when the Big 12 TV deal expires. I think the ACC is out since ND is essentially holding them hostage by likely never joining full (my guess, no evidence). At best they bring in #16 that doesn't play football, but that seems highly unlikely since you'd be screwed if ND did decide to join. Very remote (< 1%) chance they add us in a ND type deal, but I don't see it. So my hope is (still) for the B1G. I don't think they sit at 14 given it's a weird number. If the Big 12 stays together, which is my guess, and with the ACC GOR'ed until somewhere in the 2030's, I'm hoping that the B1G decides to get to 16 by adding us and a player to be named later. Maybe they could convince Colorado (already AAU) to be our dance partner. 5.5M population is not bad and maybe they could upgrade hockey and lacrosse from a club sport over time.
This is not a prediction of any kind, it's just the fantasy scenario I keep alive in my gray matter to give me some hope.
And no, they didn't promise Hurley anything. He came here because outside of our current conference affiliation, he sees the potential of us getting back to a high level of play. Hopefully he thinks we can win an NC. I'd hate to think we hired a coach who didn't think he could compete for a NC.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN will continue to play collegiate athletics at the highest levels. There will be more iterations of the P5 over time and eventually UCONN will end up in a better conference configuration.

In the meantime we need to, and I believe we will, be a dominant force in the AAC. Winning and fan turnout fixes a lot, especially over the long-term.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN will continue to play collegiate athletics at the highest levels. There will be more iterations of the P5 over time and eventually UCONN will end up in a better conference configuration.

In the meantime we need to, and I believe we will, be a dominant force in the AAC. Winning and fan turnout fixes a lot, especially over the long-term.
I believe and I say this with cause, there is a plan to immediately jump on any opportunities when they arise for moving UConn to the ACC, B1G, or Big 12. The Uconn adminatration has learned from its past mistakes on CR going back 15 years and is determined to not make those same mistakes again. I also think AD Dave Benedict is the driver and architect behind this effort and I know for a fact he has the full support of our head coaches, Susan Herbst, and the BOT. It may take two, three or four years but I believe it will happen. The football program is showing a lot of promise now compared to two years ago, as is the mens basketball program. Another NC in women's basketball next week won't hurt either.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The biggest indicator I’ve seen that we have a chance of P5 is Dave’s pulling out of the running for the Auburn job. He wouldn’t have done that if he didn’t have something important to do here. I am counting on Dave getting us to the promised land and earning himself a huge payday in the process. If it never happens, so be it. However, his language at the Hurley presser, his withdrawal from consideration at Auburn and his way over qualified support staff lead me to believe we may be closer than we think.

Reaction Score
Just so you guys know, I expect any moment that Tom Brady is going to call me and let me know that Gisele is just too much woman for him and that he needs me to...well....step in. Thinking I should probably wait for Tom's call before telling my wife.

Not just Tom's call. You may want to wait to see if Gisele let's you in the house without calling the police.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom