What if....Benedict to Hurley: “We’ll be in ACC by the final year of your contract” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What if....Benedict to Hurley: “We’ll be in ACC by the final year of your contract”

Reaction Score
Uconn and Navy to the ACC. Navy gets a pass on BB like ND does for FB. 16 teams for FB, 16 for BB. Also our football team can compete with the lower tier of the ACC. And there is always the possibility of improvement, in a P5 we can get better recruits.
By lower tier, you mean everyone except Florida State and Clemson?

Reaction Score
Not just Tom's call. You may want to wait to see if Gisele let's you in the house without calling the police.

I'm worried the police are going to track me down after reading this thread!

Too many years on these boards Biz....I've moved from adolescent to adult back to adolescent.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Miami as well. The rest are no big deal. Especially Duke.
Duke football has been respectable lately. Corresponding with them getting one and dones in hoops what a coincidence

Reaction Score
Uconn and Navy to the ACC. Navy gets a pass on BB like ND does for FB. 16 teams for FB, 16 for BB. Also our football team can compete with the lower tier of the ACC. And there is always the possibility of improvement, in a P5 we can get better recruits.

What do we have to do to get this started?

Should someone email the president's office?

Also, under this plan, Navy would replace Univ. Maryland -- a metro Wash DC univ. -- and UConn replaces Rutgers -- a metro NYC univ.

Would strengthen ACC TV network, both in terms of demographics and geography.

Reaction Score

Also, under this plan, Navy would replace Univ. Maryland -- a metro Wash DC univ. -- and UConn replaces Rutgers -- a metro NYC univ.

Already in the works, leave it to AD David Benedict, he'll get us there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Benedict knows what everyone else has figured out. There are no television dollars to support expansion and schools are going to have to fight like hell to keep the revenue levels they currently enjoy - because clearly none of them get the concept of not spending themselves to oblivion.

The ACC network article is dopey but you see things in there like ESPN doesn’t need to spend 10k on sat trucks to broadcast from those campuses now and they stuck the schools with the capital expenditure. Pretty sly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I like this scenario. I still hold out hope that UConn will be in the ACC. You're a perfect fit.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Silly, optimistic Tar Heel fan. Guilty as charged. :)

Reaction Score
I like this scenario. I still hold out hope that UConn will be in the ACC. You're a perfect fit.

I believe that if anything the ACC and the rest of the P5 will likely contract. Those that are not pulling in what they need to will likely be expelled. I just don't see the ACC expanding. I think once the GOR expires in 2036, then there may be some change there, if college athletics as we know them now still exist by then. Hopefully ESPN won't exist by then.

Reaction Score

Kick out BC. Add Uconn. I would not be surprised if down the road BC could end up dropping FB. Aside from Notre Dame, which is a world if it's own, all the catholic schools have dropped FB or dropped to a lower division. When I was a kid schools like Holy Cross were playing a big time schedule. Not anymore, obviously. BC is not a big draw in Boston for non students or non alumni. It's a Catholic commuter school and does not fit with other ACC schools. They pretty much stink so I doubt they are a big draw when they go on the road. I don't think the ACC wants the big in New England, and if there is expansion Uconn will most likely end up in one or the other of those two leagues. If Uconn does get the nod, it will obviously not be because their FB is a big plus. However, in a better league they stand a chance of improving and they can compete with the lower tier schools in each of those conferences. I think any further expansion will be more about establishing a geographic foot print than bolstering the FB in either conference. There are no FB powerhouse programs left to choose from, Uconn is probably the best of the leftovers in terms of fanbase, potential and similarity to existing members of either league. Also, since you are an ACC guy, I want to ask you this. Have you heard rumblings about the ACC not being happy about Louisville. Not because they are not good, but because their academics are far below ACC standards and they have all these scandals?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We will have been babbling on for almost two decades before the ACC GOR expires...

Who knows what the world will look like then?

And I suspect not much changes for the ACC in what remains of my lifetime.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We will have been babbling on for almost two decades before the ACC GOR expires...

Who knows what the world will look like then?

And I suspect not much changes for the ACC in what remains of my lifetime.
Unless you are sick, and how are you doing buddy - I remember you did have a couple issues a while back, I think you may lose that bet. Not because of a weakness in the GOR system, or ND taking the plunge and joining a conference, but because the ACC as currently constituted is propped up by ESPN money to be their house band. That's not a insult, had they chosen the Big East, instead and funded expansion in the other direction, I'd probably be less critical of it. In any event the ACC "works" because of ESPN's investment in it. If the conference TV deal bubble has burst, there may be considerable pressure on it, or better said, no check for the natural pressures of an artificial conglomeration. Think Yugoslavia.

Again, not being critical of the ACC in the least, I'd gladly swap places with the least of their teams to have the stability of a bigger TV payday, even though I don't see it that stability being permanent. What the eventual change will look like, I have no idea but it will come.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unless you are sick, and how are you doing buddy - I remember you did have a couple issues a while back, I think you may lose that bet. Not because of a weakness in the GOR system, or ND taking the plunge and joining a conference, but because the ACC as currently constituted is propped up by ESPN money to be their house band. That's not a insult, had they chosen the Big East, instead and funded expansion in the other direction, I'd probably be less critical of it. In any event the ACC "works" because of ESPN's investment in it. If the conference TV deal bubble has burst, there may be considerable pressure on it, or better said, no check for the natural pressures of an artificial conglomeration. Think Yugoslavia.

Again, not being critical of the ACC in the least, I'd gladly swap places with the least of their teams to have the stability of a bigger TV payday, even though I don't see it that stability being permanent. What the eventual change will look like, I have no idea but it will come.
Touche! You never know when a cancer will just explode, so certainly no long term thinking should be on the agenda.

Reaction Score
ACC makes sense but does a power conference want our football team? We can't even full the stadium now ...are we going to when we start losing to FSU and Miami by 40 points ?

I'm not judging anyone's opinion, I just feel that our football team is not ready to compete in the ACC so why would the ACC bring in a bottom dweller in their conference right now ?

Not trying to sound like a negative Nancy just thinking we need a bigger football resume and a renovated basketball team.

Reaction Score
ACC makes sense but does a power conference want our football team? We can't even full the stadium now ...are we going to when we start losing to FSU and Miami by 40 points ?

I'm not judging anyone's opinion, I just feel that our football team is not ready to compete in the ACC so why would the ACC bring in a bottom dweller in their conference right now ?

Not trying to sound like a negative Nancy just thinking we need a bigger football resume and a renovated basketball team.

With the new coaches now in place, I suspect the football and basketball teams will start to become much more competitive very soon. That will lead to higher attendance. UConn to ACC!!!

Reaction Score

Because if they want to solidify a geographic footprint, there is not a lot of choices. There are no real football power house programs left to choose from.

Reaction Score
Attendance may increase with a winning team for sure. Winning or losing doesn't really matter. Bringing money into a conference matters above all, it seems. The ACC already believes that it has the northeast locked up with Cuse and BC. With the help of ESPN, they are raking in record amount of money for each school. ESPN controls the purse strings. Lobby your providers to not force the ACCN on the citizens of CT, New
England and other states where their is no ACC presence. Same for the BTN. They can make them a la carte programming. When ESPN realizes that very few are subscribing, then things will change.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Attendance may increase with a winning team for sure. Winning or losing doesn't really matter. Bringing money into a conference matters above all, it seems. The ACC already believes that it has the northeast locked up with Cuse and BC. With the help of ESPN, they are raking in record amount of money for each school. ESPN controls the purse strings. Lobby your providers to not force the ACCN on the citizens of CT, New
England and other states where their is no ACC presence. Same for the BTN. They can make them a la carte programming. When ESPN realizes that very few are subscribing, then things will change.
Please enlighten me on how Boston College and Syracuse athletics are bringing in tons of money into the ACC??? They suck in all sports, with the recent exception of Syracuse this year in men's basketball. For the ACC to have had a difficult choice between choosing Louisville or UConn a few years ago, speaks volumes on how confident the ACC is at having the Northeast locked up, especially from NYC up through Hartford.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

The better question is why would the ACC want us if we didn't play football? They been smart to avoid partial memberships for schools not named Notre Dame.

An equally silly question is why would they want us for basketball? We could "full" the XL of even Gampel?

Reaction Score
Please enlighten me on how Boston College and Syracuse athletics are bringing in tons of money into the ACC??? They suck in all sports, with the recent exception of Syracuse this year in men's basketball. For the ACC to have had a difficult choice between choosing Louisville or UConn a few years ago, speaks volumes on how confident the ACC is at having the Northeast locked up, especially from NYC up through Hartford.
They are bringing in money because ESPN is willing to pay for them. Advertising dollars and CT taxpayers are funding the ACC via ESPN. I understand your angst (and mine), that UConn has been left behind as other loser schools are raking in money. It is unfortunate, but it is what it is. Don't blame me. ESPN can get UConn into a P5 Conference. They haven't done it, for whatever reason. For what it is worth, the CT legislators and governor gave them tax breaks. Maybe lobbying them, or voting them out of office and put in pro UConn legislators instead of the anti-UConn legislators that currently rule there could help pressure ESPN to start the wheels turning again.

Reaction Score
They are bringing in money because ESPN is willing to pay for them. Advertising dollars and CT taxpayers are funding the ACC via ESPN. I understand your angst (and mine), that UConn has been left behind as other loser schools are raking in money. It is unfortunate, but it is what it is. Don't blame me. ESPN can get UConn into a P5 Conference. They haven't done it, for whatever reason. For what it is worth, the CT legislators and governor gave them tax breaks. Maybe lobbying them, or voting them out of office and put in pro UConn legislators instead of the anti-UConn legislators that currently rule there could help pressure ESPN to start the wheels turning again.
Big time Advertising Dollars??? For cellar dwellers Cuse and BC??? Since when is ESPN having Syracuse and Boston College as it's marqee Game Day teams every weekend? What ever you are smoking I want some. Lol. I have no angst whatsoever, but I do have my suspicions when trolls like you try to pass yourself off as lifelong UConn fans either as "buddy" or your other phoney handle "billybud", and post misinformation like this crap. Show me the hard numbers where Syracuse and BC are raking in big-time advertising dollars for ESPN and the ACC every weekend.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom