What I Really Like About Hurley | The Boneyard

What I Really Like About Hurley

Reaction Score
I try not to get too high or too low, but I am pretty excited after Hurley's press conference.

Reason #1
Experience. He may not have coached on this level yet, but he knows how to build (or rebuild) a program. From recruiting, to practice, to his offense and defense, he has a formula that he is very confident in and has been successful with. Nothing against KO, but he didn't bring that experience, confidence, game plan, etc. Based on that I have much more confidence in this hire. I think Hurley's formula for success can carry over to this level. It's just a matter of recruiting a little higher level kids than he generally has been, which I think he certainly can do here.

Reason #2
Setting the standard in practice. This, I believe is going to make the biggest difference in improvement right away with this team. Again, I'm not a KO basher at all, but I strongly believe that KO could not have set a high enough standard in practice.

I've seen probably over 100 hours of JC's practices, as well as some other high D1 coaches. You know what happens when a player doesn't set a proper screen? It's taught to them a few times, if they still don't get it right they move down to the second team, if that doesn't work they run laps every time they set a poor screen. If that doesn't work they are moved down to the scout team and they get an invite to the coaches office where they are reminded that scholarships are renewed yearly and that there is a certain standard expected of them.

It's amazing how quickly kids improve when they are held to a certain standard consistently in practice. Now expand this same example to include boxing out, effort on defense, shot selection, etc. kids this age need this kind of direction and push, that's what good coaches do. It's amazing how quick their basketball iq seems to go up when they set hard, solid screens, move well off the ball, etc. Then the coach can do things like impliment the 5 or 7 pass rule in practice to help teach them how well the extra pass can work when you run an efficient offense and move well. Suddenly they start looking like a "smart" and "instinctual" basketball team. This is just a small example of setting a standard in practice just with basic, essential fundametals like screening and off the ball movement.

Again, I am in no way trying to bash KO, I think he was in over his head. But had he held these kids to a high standard hour after hour, over and over in practice, it would have carried over to games. It has to, like anything else. I'm a drummer. If I practice something for 100 hours setting a fairly low standard, I'm never going to get much better or be great doing it at a gig or in the studio. If I practice it 100 hours setting a high standard for myself it's obviously going to carry over.

This, I think will be the biggest difference right away. Hurley is known as a bit of a taskmaster (like JC). In my opinion it's exactly what this group needs.

Final points - I really hope Carlton stays. Obviously if he doesn't want to be here he should go, but I really would like to see what DH and staff can do with him.

There was a lot to like about Hurley's press conference. One thing I really liked was that he stared at the players the entire time he was talking about tough practices and having confidence in them and what they can do.

I think I'm going to like this guy.

Lets Go Dogs!!!

Reaction Score
Good post 33, and I REALLY agree with you about Carlton. I think he can be a very very effective player here. He rarely brings the ball below his waist which seems simple but so many big guys do it. Would love to see him improve at UConn the next three years

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest here I believe over 98 percent of programs in the nation would be happy if Danny Hurley was their coach and running their program.

Everywhere he’s gone he’s been successful and his father and family are held at the highest level of coaching in the sport.

This is a great day, we really hit the jackpot, I am super excited about the future of Uconn Basketball.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agree that players played games like practices didn't reinforce good habits.

In game coaching showed they could make those mistakes during the game and keep on playing.

Reaction Score
Great post 33 spot on.

One thing that jumped out at me in the presser, among many, is the fact he is confident walking into those gyms to recruit kids that wearing that UCONN on the apparel is huge still. He’s confident the brand is still very much there and the conference doesn’t mean as much as one may believe.

The practices as well a as the tough love imposed in a positive way are huge to get back.

It is exciting

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I try not to get too high or too low, but I am pretty excited after Hurley's press conference.

Reason #1
Experience. He may not have coached on this level yet, but he knows how to build (or rebuild) a program. From recruiting, to practice, to his offense and defense, he has a formula that he is very confident in and has been successful with. Nothing against KO, but he didn't bring that experience, confidence, game plan, etc. Based on that I have much more confidence in this hire. I think Hurley's formula for success can carry over to this level. It's just a matter of recruiting a little higher level kids than he generally has been, which I think he certainly can do here.

Reason #2
Setting the standard in practice. This, I believe is going to make the biggest difference in improvement right away with this team. Again, I'm not a KO basher at all, but I strongly believe that KO could not have set a high enough standard in practice.

I've seen probably over 100 hours of JC's practices, as well as some other high D1 coaches. You know what happens when a player doesn't set a proper screen? It's taught to them a few times, if they still don't get it right they move down to the second team, if that doesn't work they run laps every time they set a poor screen. If that doesn't work they are moved down to the scout team and they get an invite to the coaches office where they are reminded that scholarships are renewed yearly and that there is a certain standard expected of them.

It's amazing how quickly kids improve when they are held to a certain standard consistently in practice. Now expand this same example to include boxing out, effort on defense, shot selection, etc. kids this age need this kind of direction and push, that's what good coaches do. It's amazing how quick their basketball iq seems to go up when they set hard, solid screens, move well off the ball, etc. Then the coach can do things like impliment the 5 or 7 pass rule in practice to help teach them how well the extra pass can work when you run an efficient offense and move well. Suddenly they start looking like a "smart" and "instinctual" basketball team. This is just a small example of setting a standard in practice just with basic, essential fundametals like screening and off the ball movement.

Again, I am in no way trying to bash KO, I think he was in over his head. But had he held these kids to a high standard hour after hour, over and over in practice, it would have carried over to games. It has to, like anything else. I'm a drummer. If I practice something for 100 hours setting a fairly low standard, I'm never going to get much better or be great doing it at a gig or in the studio. If I practice it 100 hours setting a high standard for myself it's obviously going to carry over.

This, I think will be the biggest difference right away. Hurley is known as a bit of a taskmaster (like JC). In my opinion it's exactly what this group needs.

Final points - I really hope Carlton stays. Obviously if he doesn't want to be here he should go, but I really would like to see what DH and staff can do with him.

There was a lot to like about Hurley's press conference. One thing I really liked was that he stared at the players the entire time he was talking about tough practices and having confidence in them and what they can do.

Lets Go Dogs!!!

Lots of thoughts here - some real good some questionable
I never seen a player gain an ounce of basketball IQ because he could set a hard screen but we have a difference of opinion

You talk here with certainty a lot about KO and his practices
You state that you watched 100s of hours of JC practices and bash KO's practice tactics without mention that you attended one minute - why?
I've been to both practices and while the JC practices were loud and tough, the KO practices were not without raised voices and hard work.
They were structured different with KO's being more structured and diverse. Not saying which is better way of handling, but to be honest, JC had much better players to work with and there were several times KO had barely enough bodies to hold a practice.
You say you aren't bashing KO but...............
KO had to go because he could not recruit the players he needed to recruit. UConn needs to be where it was but it's a different time and a different league. We aren't going to see the 5* and 4* players JC was able to acquire with the lure of the OBE.
My hope with DH is that he understands who and what he can recruit to be successful in the AAC, while UConn is still in this league. How he runs his practices is secondary - you need the right pieces first. KO didn't have the pieces - his fault without a doubt - if he recruited the right way we would not be talking about DH
KO's out DH is in
Let's talk about DH and the team

Reaction Score
the future of our basketball program is in amazing hands. young coach who is gonna made his dream become a reality. step by step

Reaction Score
I listened to Hurley's interview on WFAN.

What I love most? He's insightful. When he speaks, I feel like he's a guy on top of things. No BS, No smoke. No cliches.

I'll never forget the feeling I felt when I listened to Kevin Ollie and Jon Rothstein for 30 minutes last fall. I knew that day we'd have a new coach by years end.

Reaction Score
I listened to Hurley's interview on WFAN.

What I love most? He's insightful. When he speaks, I feel like he's a guy on top of things. No BS, No smoke. No cliches.

I'll never forget the feeling I felt when I listened to Kevin Ollie and Jon Rothstein for 30 minutes last fall. I knew that day we'd have a new coach by years end.
It’s called dialed in....

Reaction Score
Good post 33, and I REALLY agree with you about Carlton. I think he can be a very very effective player here. He rarely brings the ball below his waist which seems simple but so many big guys do it. Would love to see him improve at UConn the next three years
Had a few in me and Carlton might’ve as well, but I talked to him at the bar last night and it seemed very hopeful he’d return. Mentioned that he met with Hurley and really liked him.

Reaction Score
Had a few in me and Carlton might’ve as well, but I talked to him at the bar last night and it seemed very hopeful he’d return. Mentioned that he met with Hurley and really liked him.
I’m not doubting you but isn’t Josh under age?

Reaction Score
I never seen a player gain an ounce of basketball IQ because he could set a hard screen but we have a difference of opinion
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, although I think I kind of explained it further down the paragraph. No I don't think setting a solid screen makes your basketball IQ go up. What I do think is that if you don't set good screens consistently, come off screens well consistently, and move with purpose without the ball consistently, you have no chance of having a good offense. Those basic fundamentals are a must if you're going to have a remotely efficient offense. The past couple of years are a perfect example of what happens when your basic fundamentals are poor. I'm sure you don't need to see the dismal stats.

What I do think is that when you consistently do those things well it opens up a lot of opportunities, which in turn certainly make you look like a smarter player and a smarter team in general. Instead of lazily swinging the ball around the perimeter while standing around and forcing a shot with 3 seconds on the shot clock, it opens up opportunities for an extra pass to a wide open man, or a nice backdoor cut because of solid ball movement, spacing, running hard, moving well, and with purpose without the ball, etc. Solid basic fundamentals are the foundation for an efficient offense. An offense that does the basics well is going to look like a much smarter offense (individually and as a team) than what we've seen the past few seasons. There is no doubt in my mind.

How he runs his practices is secondary - you need the right pieces first

I stated that I believe the biggest impact "right away with this group" is going to be setting a higher standard in practice. Obviously you need to recruit the right pieces. Although even the right pieces, generally speaking, arent going to work magic without solid, basic fundamentals being in place and setting high standards in general.

You talk here with certainty a lot about KO and his practices
I said "I strongly believe that KO could not have set a high enough standard at practice" and I'll stand by that opinion 100%. I'm not sure what you saw on the floor the past couple of seasons that would remotely lead you to believe they were being coached well and were held to a high standard (even with the most basic things) at practice. The team was piss poor at the most basic, simple fundamentals of the game, and their effort, quite often, was sorely lacking. In my opinion that is 100% on the coach and the standard and expectations he sets at practice.

C

Chief00

Reason #1

Reason #2

Lets Go Dogs!!!

Good post - I noticed similar body language at the presser yesterday. A great coach knows he needs great, committed players. Hopefully, that’s the journey we are starting again.
I hope the URI coaching search concludes quickly and Dan can get his staff in place quickly. Chill seems to be a long shot and I think if Dan gets to spend some time with him - he would be impressed.

Reaction Score
Emphasizes defense. No defense no PT.

The last two seasons our guys did not defend and appearantly were given little I insentive to do so. JC would have publicly murdered someone.

C

Chief00

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, although I think I kind of explained it further down the paragraph. No I don't think setting a solid screen makes your basketball IQ go up. What I do think is that if you don't set good screens consistently, come off screens well consistently, and move with purpose without the ball consistently, you have no chance of having a good offense. Those basic fundamentals are a must if you're going to have a remotely efficient offense. The past couple of years are a perfect example of what happens when your basic fundamentals are poor. I'm sure you don't need to see the dismal stats.

What I do think is that when you consistently do those things well it opens up a lot of opportunities, which in turn certainly make you look like a smarter player and a smarter team in general. Instead of lazily swinging the ball around the perimeter while standing around and forcing a shot with 3 seconds on the shot clock, it opens up opportunities for an extra pass to a wide open man, or a nice backdoor cut because of solid ball movement, spacing, running hard, moving well, and with purpose without the ball, etc. Solid basic fundamentals are the foundation for an efficient offense. An offense that does the basics well is going to look like a much smarter offense (individually and as a team) than what we've seen the past few seasons. There is no doubt in my mind.

I stated that I believe the biggest impact "right away with this group" is going to be setting a higher standard in practice. Obviously you need to recruit the right pieces. Although even the right pieces, generally speaking, arent going to work magic without solid, basic fundamentals being in place and setting high standards in general.

I said "I strongly believe that KO could not have set a high enough standard at practice" and I'll stand by that opinion 100%. I'm not sure what you saw on the floor the past couple of seasons that would remotely lead you to believe they were being coached well and were held to a high standard (even with the most basic things) at practice. The team was piss poor at the most basic, simple fundamentals of the game, and their effort, quite often, was sorely lacking. In my opinion that is 100% on the coach and the standard and expectations he sets at practice.

Chief couldn’t agree more, you start with sound fundamentals as the foundation and everything builds from that. Of course, you need some elite talent too to make a March run - but for tomorrow you start on the fundamentals.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What a minute, do you mean to tell me college kids are drinking even when underage?
Jackie and I find that hard to believe.
6644766_f260.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom