What happened to the Great Alaska Shootout? | The Boneyard

What happened to the Great Alaska Shootout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I remember teams like Syracuse and Duke playing in this in the not too distant past.

Tonight's final is Colorado St vs UC Santa Barbara....

That's not exactly an elite final.

Reaction Score
ESPN

They created a bunch of new tournaments (PR Tip Off, Charleston Classic, Orlando Classic, etc.) themselves around 2007 or so after the NCAA started allowing teams to play in these types of events more often and never renewed their contract with the Great Alaska Shootout. Without ESPN's coverage they can't attract major sponsors or good teams which is unfortunate because it was such a unique location.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Up until this year, it was held in a terrible arena.

Add in expensive travel and poor exposure and the Shootout started to die about a decade ago.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
competition

used to be they were one of two games in town, then one in three when they added the "Preseason NIT", and now I couldn't even tell you how many in season tournaments there are. I know there seems to be multiple tournaments at multiple locations, from HI to PR to Orlando, NYC, Bahamas, Mexico, LV ..................................................

damn, we (the State of CT) even have a tournament in the Mohegan Sun

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Not to mention all the other pre-season tourneys are in warmer locations.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
true, I was going to mention that

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Funny - I just heard them say on the broadcast that 'it started that The Maui Invitational and The Great Alaska Shootout were the top tournaments, but now there are so many of them and they're building it back up.'

I guess it's kind of hard to draw teams to Alaska in November when they can go to Maui or the Bahamas or many other warmer places like, well, anywhere.

Reaction Score
I remember running into Chris Smith at Westfarms Mall and he was wearing a beautiful leather jacket from the Alaska Shootout. BTW, Smitty was about 5'10"-5'11".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom