What elite WCBB player would ever want to play for Coach P? | The Boneyard

What elite WCBB player would ever want to play for Coach P?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
QUOTE OF THE NIGHT:
"I wish they could walk home." -- McCallie, on her displeasure with Duke's performance.

"Eighteeen of the worst turnovers I've ever seen," Duke coach Joanne P. McCallie said. "Terrible."

When does she ever take the blame for poor coaching?............NEVER!!!!!

Reaction Score
She's a great recruiter, but the Duke name contributes a lot to getting certain players to join her team, I think.

Hypothetical: imagine if Duke had hired Geno Auriemma shortly after he started having success at UConn - say, 1992. Geno's recruiting power, his success on the court, AND the Duke name? Sheesh.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
She's a great recruiter, but the Duke name contributes a lot to getting certain players to join her team, I think.

Hypothetical: imagine if Duke had hired Geno Auriemma shortly after he started having success at UConn - say, 1992. Geno's recruiting power, his success on the court, AND the Duke name?
Sheesh.

this forum would have about 8 members ;)

Reaction Score
paraphrasing now... "we are an interior and rebounding team, we are not going to start shooting 3's because that's not who we are ...."

may be coach P should have looked at the stat sheet before saying that. Duke took 18 3pt shots, roughly a third of the total number of shots, even if 11 of them come from one player (Greenwell).

Reaction Score
QUOTE OF THE NIGHT:
"I wish they could walk home." -- McCallie, on her displeasure with Duke's performance.

"Eighteeen of the worst turnovers I've ever seen," Duke coach Joanne P. McCallie said. "Terrible."

When does she ever take the blame for poor coaching?..NEVER!!!!!
This woman is showing her true colors. Duke MUST get rid of her before the players walk away. Please duke, save as much of your program and legacy as possible. Cut your losses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
QUOTE OF THE NIGHT:

I liked her comments on Ka'lia Johnson fouling out: "Almost unforgiveable on her part...lack of IQ there, very problematic....When you're a senior you make darned sure you're on the floor throughout the battle, so that was very disappointing."

"It's just so frustrating not to have a more visionary team....to see what we could do."

And, at the end, when asked what positives she could take from today's game: "I'm not looking for positives right now."

#?%@##%??!?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If she is this bad on camera, what must she be like in the locker room and at practices? The mind reels!

Reaction Score
At least Geno takes some responsibility when UCONN only wins by 33 or so. Wow, if those were real quotes, she needs some serious help on maintaining some type of team morale. Sounds like the coach is completely separated from the players and doesn't want to accept any responsibility when they don't play a certain way.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Probably if you took the average recruiting class rankings over the last 8 Years, Duke would be at or near the Top of the List. The value of a Duke education and successful WBB program will continue to lead recruits to Duke's doorsteps. Coach P and the other coaches continue to use, you'll be the player that gets us to a National Championship as well as get a great Education. It works.

I say successful as Duke usually spends time in the Top 10 most years and competing for a Final Four. IMHO they're not successful based on the recruiting classes they've signed. They consistently under achieve.

Reaction Score
Clearly the Duke women's coaches are held to a different standard as compared to the men. You would never hear coach K on the verge of ridiculing a player or their effort. What is worse is that she has her kids for multiple seasons. Coach K hardly has seniors anymore. The important lesson here is there is no "I" in blame.

Reaction Score
How about the other side of the coin? I thought State came in with a plan (coaches) and they had the talent and discipline (kids) to execute it. Coach J gives no credit to the other guys - disrespectful.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Coaching comes with teaching. You teach mentally, physically and athletically. Duke is not there. Confidence will come from executing the same things over and over again. Lack of confidence will come from trying to do something you haven't done before and hoping it will work. That's called luck. The Duke team lacks ball handlers, outside shooters and a good point guard. They also lack those things in their depth.

WHen you look at UConn this season you don't see any weaknesses in their top 8 players. Big difference. Even the walk ons know how to run plays with confidence. Many other teams have a long way to go to get to that point. If you have a team with no height and a bunch of good ball players you will lose to teams with good post players simply because you cant match up with them. If you have a team with a lot of height and no ballhandlers, outside shooters, or playmakers you will struggle also.

The problem with Duke is they had poor recruiting, too much height and not enough positions to fill all that height. Not enough ball handlers or outside shooters and no game plan. The problem is Coach P's not the team. They players are doing exactly when they were taught the defenses playing against them are too.

Reaction Score
The problem with Duke is they had poor recruiting, too much height and not enough positions to fill all that height. Not enough ball handlers or outside shooters and no game plan. The problem is Coach P's not the team. They players are doing exactly when they were taught the defenses playing against them are too.

"poor recruiting" is not the problem -the actual problem is transfers, they had a very good point guard in Alexis Jones- they also lost guards Sierra Moore, and Sierra Calhoun

Reaction Score
QUOTE OF THE NIGHT:

Insert "Throw them under the bus" meme here.

Reaction Score
At least Geno takes some responsibility when UCONN only wins by 33 or so. Wow, if those were real quotes, she needs some serious help on maintaining some type of team morale. Sounds like the coach is completely separated from the players and doesn't want to accept any responsibility when they don't play a certain way.
I don't know anything about their assistant coaches, but I would hope that she has someone like CD to play 'good cop/bad cop" with the team, otherwise this team is toast...You can't continually denigrate players in the press and expect them to perform better.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She seems to run off her assistant coaches a little quicker than she does her guard recruits!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Insert "Throw them under the bus" meme here.
Ok

bus11.jpg

Reaction Score
"poor recruiting" is not the problem -the actual problem is transfers, they had a very good point guard in Alexis Jones- they also lost guards Sierra Moore, and Sierra Calhoun
UConn has players transfer pretty much every year and it hasn't hurt, so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The difference between Duke & UConn when it comes to transfers is UConn starters don't transfer. Duke has lost both Sierra Calhoun and Alexis Jones, both starters. UConn transfers are usually players who will not break into the starting lineup and will ride the bench. The only exception that I can think of is Samarie Walker who probably would have started if she stayed at UConn for four years. I'm not considering EDD as she left before she ever set foot on the court.

UConn has players transfer pretty much every year and it hasn't hurt, so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
My impression is that she did a good job at Maine back in the day....and was appropriately rewarded for that with the
head coaching job at Michigan State. I thought she did a good job there as well...with a special nod to beating LadyVol
Herself in the national semis....MSU lost to pre-Griner Baylor in the final game. I seriously doubt her personality or coaching style has changed.
Were the kids at those other schools way different than her Duke players? It's darn close to a mess in Durham....the administration
has given her a long leash but that can't go on and on and on...can it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom