What Does NBC Have to lose? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

What Does NBC Have to lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My burden of proof is zero. None. YOU are the one making the accusations. It is YOUR responsibility to make the argument.

Your argument lies entirely in trusting Gene DeFillipo. I'm glad to see you trust Boston College and Gene DeFillipo. I don't.

Pretty confident in my side over yours. You have nothing. Nothing. Zero.

You may believe in your argument, but one thing is clear: you CANNOT prove it. So you take shots, call names, etc.

But one thing you never, ever do, is prove a damn thing. You keep waiting because, in your mind, you'll find some piece of evidence.

Problem is, you haven't.

My proof is an insider's public comments, an absurd reversal of those comments together with lame public denials by ESPN executives who would have ignored Defillippo's comments if they were meritless, together with common sense and everyone's public actions. Your proof is denial of what is happening right in front of us.

I win.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
In other words: gimmicks. Not that I blame you, considering how below-par the standard of Big East FB is compared to the Big 4 conferences.

You talk about not using no-names, but they don't have any name broadcast crews that don't do ND football. And they're gonna stay on ND football. So, obviously, you're going to get no-names- unless they go out and hire some big guns. It'd have to be folks who like the idea of being the #1 crew on their network, but willing to do so on a much smaller network (that has one (1) studio at the moment) with a lower level of football.

Another thing if they move to NBCU: How are you all planning on watching FB/BB games if you aren't local? Because those things will never be on Full Court/ESPN3, and NBC has neither the resources nor the effort to create an online video presence like ESPN & CBS. Ever think about that, or did that get lost in your anti-ESPN rage?

Um, you miiight wanna check your bowl of Cheerios for yellow milk, sir.

To your points: yes, gimmicks. All the gimmicks NBC can spare. The same damn gimmicks ESPN/ABC uses to prop up ACC football and cram the likes of Miami-UMd games down America's throats. The dirty little secret in all this CR upheaval is that the Big East FB 'standard', on paper, is currently poised to surpass that of the ACC. For better or worse that league is the target for Providence, so if NBC signs the Big East it would be in both parties' best interests to make better 'chicken salad and lemonade' than ESPN is currently making with the ACC.

As far as broadcast crews go, if you don't think NBCS will go out and score better talent, you're in denial. They will create a healthy competition for talking heads and will pull good folks away from other networks. Rest assured that quite a few will come from Bristol - word on the street is that the corporate climate up there isn't that hot so maybe some folks wouldn't mind a change.

And I'm not as concerned about the 'lack of technology' angle with the streaming of games as you seem to be: NBC has the infrastructure in place already and just needs to expand it. They already have archives of ND games; they can catch up in that area pretty quickly to accommodate Big East games as well.

Finally, the rage thing. My position on Disney is well-known; no need to rehash it. Although I haven't ranted in the 'Yard about them for a long time, you might have noticed that other 'Yarders are finally realizing much of what I've been saying about Bristol for years - on their own. With all due respect, you would do well to get your head out of the sand concerning them as well.

Enjoy your cereal!...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What is with this constant need to prop up the crappy conference we find ourselves in? It's not even that good a basketball conference once Pitt, Cuse and WVU bail. I really don't understand it. I get the fantasy posts about a conference with Cuse, UConn, BC, Pitt, Penn State, ND (football too), Rutgers etc. But is anyone really saying: "Wow, isn't this great! We're in a conference with mediocre programs from Florida, Texas, Idaho, California, Kentucky and Ohio!". Sure, Dr. Frankenstein loved his creature, but everyone else thought it was hideous. This conference is hideous.

As for NBC, it's easily the worst of the major networks for sports and otherwise. So they might well be stupid enough to blow a ton of money on this abomination. I sure hope not, as it needs to be put out of my misery.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
What is with this constant need to prop up the crappy conference we find ourselves in? It's not even that good a basketball conference once Pitt, Cuse and WVU bail. I really don't understand it. I get the fantasy posts about a conference with Cuse, UConn, BC, Pitt, Penn State, ND (football too), Rutgers etc. But is anyone really saying: "Wow, isn't this great! We're in a conference with mediocre programs from Florida, Texas, Idaho, California, Kentucky and Ohio!". Sure, Dr. Frankenstein loved his creature, but everyone else thought it was hideous. This conference is hideous.

As for NBC, it's easily the worst of the major networks for sports and otherwise. So they might well be stupid enough to blow a ton of money on this abomination. I sure hope not, as it needs to be put out of my misery.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You could at least use the Crosby Stills and Nash version. :) But that song is a product of the 60's free love generation, and a concept I never agreed with. I'm not comfortable putting a bag over the head of this conference, and beer goggles are not enough to make it look good.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
My proof is an insider's public comments, an absurd reversal of those comments together with lame public denials by ESPN executives who would have ignored Defillippo's comments if they were meritless, together with common sense and everyone's public actions. Your proof is denial of what is happening right in front of us.

Once again, you are establishing your burden of proof as: statements made by Gene DeFillippo.

If it's true, why hasn't the Big East filed suit yet? Why haven't they looked into it? Sounds like it'd be a pretty massive windfall in court.

If it were true. Which it isn't.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
To your points: yes, gimmicks. All the gimmicks NBC can spare. The same damn gimmicks ESPN/ABC uses to prop up ACC football and cram the likes of Miami-UMd games down America's throats. The dirty little secret in all this CR upheaval is that the Big East FB 'standard', on paper, is currently poised to surpass that of the ACC. For better or worse that league is the target for Providence, so if NBC signs the Big East it would be in both parties' best interests to make better 'chicken salad and lemonade' than ESPN is currently making with the ACC.

The ACC on ESPN thing really grinds your gears, eh? That's not some subliminal thing, that's part of the contract they signed when their old deal was up. The extension. The one they are re-negotiating now. It's not some sort of bizarre agenda to destroy the Big East in favor of the ACC- they signed a deal. It was in the press release announcing the ACC/ESPN deal. If the Big East had/does sign a deal with ESPN, they'll get the same sort of exclusivity treatment. They did the same thing with the SEC.

BTW, that MD-Miami game "crammed" down your throat out rates 80-90% of all Big East games. That's not a fallacy, that's reality. Nobody, nationally, gives a damn about Houston or SMU. Both of them have coaches who just tried to get the hell OUT OF Houston/SMU, even though they're joining a BCS conference. It isn't a big time football conference, and it isn't going to become one. Enjoy the games, but be reasonable, have perspective.

It doesn't matter if the Sagarin rating goes up. The Nielsen ratings still go down, Syracuse and Pitt still rate better than those two.

They already have archives of ND games; they can catch up in that area pretty quickly to accommodate Big East games as well.

What about when ESPN says they can't use archived Big East games on ESPN. Now what?

Finally, the rage thing. My position on Disney is well-known; no need to rehash it. Although I haven't ranted in the 'Yard about them for a long time, you might have noticed that other 'Yarders are finally realizing much of what I've been saying about Bristol for years - on their own. With all due respect, you would do well to get your head out of the sand concerning them as well.

Enjoy your cereal!...

Other people ranting and raving without adding to the conversation doesn't make anything suddenly valid.

Enjoy your pointless rage!

Reaction Score
HartbeatHusky,

When you authored this topic you stated up front that it was a "long shot" to flip the "backstabbers." And even though that ship seem to sail in no way does that potential outcome nullify your visionary spirit and the regional pride that you delivered, which reasonated with so many.

Last week, while listening to a guy named Finebaum, who's the official "mouth of the south" for SEC football, I thought about your classic statement that "money means stabilty." while listening to one of his guest, vetted Clay Travis of Outkick the Coverage indirectly talk about the lack of stability the acc will face in the future when the SEC expands to 16. A snaphot follows:

"So who will be teams 15 and 16 for the SEC?
Here's a hint, it won't be teams from the existing 11 state SEC footprint.
Remember when everyone was clamoring about Clemson and Florida State to the SEC -- in fact, remember when ESPN even reported this? -- and OKTC told you that was dead wrong?
We were right.
And we're right about this, the SEC's 15th and 16th teams will come from the states of North Carolina and Virginia.
So, which teams will be the lucky duo?
(By the way, if you're wondering why the ACC suddenly leapt at the opportunity to snag Pittsburgh and Syracuse it's because the ACC suspects it will lose two teams to the SEC eventually. The ACC wanted to ensure it had 12 teams when that happened).
I've written before that North Carolina and Duke are a package deal. It seems unlikely that both teams, particularly Duke, would be willing to join the SEC. If the SEC could make a play for both, it might be willing to forego Virginia based on the national pop that would come from adding two programs of such stature in the state of North Carolina.
Lacking that, North Carolina State, the perpetual step-child of the Tarheel State, work its way into contention. Unless North Carolina could be pried away without Duke, which seems unlikely, I think N.C. State's future will be in the SEC.
Which leaves us with Virginia, which of the two programs, the Cavaliers or the Hokies will join the SEC?
Based on cultural fit and football prominence I believe it will be the Hokies. (I think Virginia -- as well as Maryland's -- ultimate future may well lie in an expanded Big Ten). "

http://outkickthecoverage.com/secs-future-will-include-16-teams-four-divisions-of-four.php

If Travis is right, a) the acc will not be stable b) its tv contract will be uncertain and c) in spite of A & B most here will still see this as the opportunity to rush and save the acc. But what about the opportunity to partner and be paid more money by NBC, NBC rescues / buys back the backsabbers and BC, receive better scheduling, environment, quality, respect and a true relevant NORTHEAST college football conference?

Anyway, thanks for the sharing of knowledge

Reaction Score
I think it's obvious that the SEC's 15th and 16th teams will come from NC and VA. I still think the ACC will survive though. I think that the New Big East will get a decent TV deal on par with the low end of what other AQ conferences are getting. I still think that NBC will make a play at keeping Cuse and Pitt in the fold since they'll still be in the conference during media rights negotiations but who really knows. It's been discussed to death but I don't think they'd be risking anything by putting an offer out there. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and they put out another, significantly lower offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom