What do you want to see from the Huskies this year? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

What do you want to see from the Huskies this year?

Reaction Score
I am a little surprised a couple have mentioned 3pt shooting for Gabby. I mean the team already we have two of the best 3pt shooters in Kia and KLS and Collier has shown consistency from outside as well, so if we need a big to spread the floor, it should be her. Someone has to rebound the ball (unless we never miss)?

I really hope she has been focusing primarily on 15 footers. If she has more confidence in the shot, combined with her court vision and athleticism, it will make her an even bigger nightmare for opponents. In time, she can add more to her game, like 3pt shooting, but it is not something I would expect to see this year.

Why should Gabby "settle" for not improving her shooting? Just because others can shoot well that means others shouldn't try to be individually better? I agree she should also work on 15 footers and would love to see that too. For me- when it comes to 3pt shooting I assumed when I said ft shooting and 3pt shooting that 15 footers being included but I should have. Nurse hits ft's and 3pt shooting too. So I'm with ya. :)

For me when I said Gabby- I was speaking individually mostly and for the team if she does shoot 3's well- it would only help the team too, right? There were several games over a stretch in which the team shot the ball poorly from 3. Having another 3pt shooter can't hurt.

As far as offensive rebounding Collier can get orebounds. Why can't AZ, Batouly, and Megan also do? It doesn't have to be all on Gabby.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am a little surprised a couple have mentioned 3pt shooting for Gabby. I mean the team already we have two of the best 3pt shooters in Kia and KLS and Collier has shown consistency from outside as well, so if we need a big to spread the floor, it should be her. Someone has to rebound the ball (unless we never miss)?
I really hope she has been focusing primarily on 15 footers. If she has more confidence in the shot, combined with her court vision and athleticism, it will make her an even bigger nightmare for opponents. In time, she can add more to her game, like 3pt shooting, but it is not something I would expect to see this year.
The significance of Gabby taking the three point shot (as opposed to 15ft) is being misconstrued and you neither have to take shots away from anyone else or miss out on rebounds to do this effectively. For the most part you are talking about attempting 1 3PT shot per game for Gabby. Right now the UCONN offense is being run through Gabby most times at the top of the key but below the 3 point line. From there she is killing teams because she can drive by bigger defenders, hit the 8-10 footer if unguarded, and hit Napheesa high low style. If Gabby extends to behind the three point line (Like Dolson occasionally used to do) and has a respectable 3 ball it gives the UCONN offense more options and give the opposing defense more room to cover. Dolson attempted less than 1 3PT shot per game for her time at UCONN, Gabby attempted 6 total last year. There are other benefits to extending the defense that far also. One of the benefits is that your cutters have more room to maneuver. When you have cutters going to the basket the defense who usually has their back to the basket is also at a disadvantage=more offensive rebounds. 40 3pt attempts at about 30% accuracy by Gabby would do wonders for the UCONN offense even when they are already very very efficient.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The significance of Gabby taking the three point shot (as opposed to 15ft) is being misconstrued and you neither have to take shots away from anyone else or miss out on rebounds to do this effectively. For the most part you are talking about attempting 1 3PT shot per game for Gabby. Right now the UCONN offense is being run through Gabby most times at the top of the key but below the 3 point line. From there she is killing teams because she can drive by bigger defenders, hit the 8-10 footer if unguarded, and hit Napheesa high low style. If Gabby extends to behind the three point line (Like Dolson occasionally used to do) and has a respectable 3 ball it gives the UCONN offense more options and give the opposing defense more room to cover. Dolson attempted less than 1 3PT shot per game for her time at UCONN, Gabby attempted 6 total last year. There are other benefits to extending the defense that far also. One of the benefits is that your cutters have more room to maneuver. When you have cutters going to the basket the defense who usually has their back to the basket is also at a disadvantage=more offensive rebounds. 40 3pt attempts at about 30% accuracy by Gabby would do wonders for the UCONN offense even when they are already very very efficient.
Well stated. I would also add that at the next level, if Gabby can knock down the 3, it will be the difference between simply being an athletic defensive stopper at the 2/3 spot in the WNBA and the opportunity to become a future Olympian some day.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Well stated. I would also add that at the next level, if Gabby can knock down the 3, it will be the difference between simply being an athletic defensive stopper at the 2/3 spot in the WNBA and the opportunity to become a future Olympian some day.
I still think that Gabby has David Thompson potential.

Reaction Score
The great players (and I think Gabby can be that) are always trying to improve by adding something to their game every off season. I am of the belief that is it better to be good at 1 thing than be average at 2, particularly in a context of sport.

Generally, I would prefer to set realistic goals which with hard work are achievable over unrealistic goals, although they may happen occasionally, more often than not fail.

Now if Gabby could improve both those things in a single off season, then great, but to me I would prioritize adding confidence to shooting the 15 footer over adding the 3 point shot. This is based both on the composition of our current team and the overall value it adds it.

Reaction Score
The great players (and I think Gabby can be that) are always trying to improve by adding something to their game every off season. I am of the belief that is it better to be good at 1 thing than be average at 2, particularly in a context of sport.

Generally, I would prefer to set realistic goals which with hard work are achievable over unrealistic goals, although they may happen occasionally, more often than not fail.

Now if Gabby could improve both those things in a single off season, then great, but to me I would prioritize adding confidence to shooting the 15 footer over adding the 3 point shot. This is based both on the composition of our current team and the overall value it adds it.

If Kelly Faris can turn out to be an outstanding 3pt shooter then Gabby could turn into being a decent one. Morgan Tuck was a mediocre 3pt shooter. Thus my view is once you are great at soemthing, it's okay to try to be good at other things. And to be good at other things you have to try them in games. Just be "decent" at 3pt shooting like Tuck was. Tuck knew when to take 3's. / if she missed she wouldn't keep firing them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom