What do you want to see from the Huskies this year? | The Boneyard

What do you want to see from the Huskies this year?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well it’s finally here. The first day of practice for UConn WBB in a season Husky fans everywhere hope will end with a 12th national championship. The anticipation of a new season among Husky fans is always at a high level, but with the heartbreaking loss last season in the national semifinals, coupled with all the talent that a loaded Husky team has on hand this season, the anticipation this year is off the charts.

As the season begins, there are several things I look for. The first thing I want to see is the fitness level of the returning players. Which players have trimmed down? Which players have added some muscle. The early report is that Kyla has trimmed down significantly. That tells me that she has no intention of waiting until mop-up time for PT, and that’s a good thing. I expect Gabby & Kia to be in the best shape of their lives as the two seniors lead the way for this talented team. I also hope to see that our two junior AA’s have added muscle to their lean frames to better handle the physical play that’s coming their way. This is particularly important for Lou, who was frequently mugged last year by opposing teams desperate to knock her off her game.

The next thing I want to see are major sophomore leaps for all of last year’s freshmen, but especially for Danger. We all hope she develops the “Mo-like” consistency and all-around play that will eventually lead the Huskies to multiple national championships and Danger to AA team selections.

Finally, I, and every other BY’er, want to see exactly what we have with an unprecedented six new players, 2 transfers and 4 freshmen, all of them with significant upsides. Will Z be a legitimate NPOY candidate? Will Batouly develop into a rebounding force and defensive stopper? Which freshmen will establish themselves first and how long will it take for any of them to be a factor this year? Will Megan Walker be a key contributor by tourney time? Is Mikayla Coombs the 2nd coming of Kia Nurse? Will Lexie and AEH become lights out shooters?

So what is everyone else on the BY hoping to see from the 2017-2018 Huskies in their quest for a 12th banner?

One month to game day…..Here we go!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm hoping for an undefeated NC season.

I'll still be happy with a 1 loss NC season.

Beyond that, man I don't know. Now we're getting into crazy talk.
I was looking for a little more detailed Christmas list, but I certainly can’t disagree with your wish list.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I want to see them play intense trapping defense and non stop running offense and really put that depth to good use.

I want to be able to feel that if some of our AA players get in foul trouble, I don't have to worry that the game is in doubt.

I want to see improvement from every single player but especially Crystal Dangerfield who I hope looks like MoJeff during her sophomore year.

I want the NPOY talk to be a debate between Gabby, Z, Lou and Pheesa.

I want Meg and Mikalya to show flashes of greatness.

I want to meet SC or Texas or Baylor or ND in the finals and bludgeon them.

That's all for now. Got to go to work.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I want there to be harmony among Husky team mates and for Geno and staff to produce the most impressive team integration and plaayer development in the history of WCBB, to the point that not only will the stain of the semi will be gone, but there will be no question that the capitol of WCBB is unquestionably Storrs.

PS. Williams, ONO and Boston.

Reaction Score
Continuing improvement and expanded game skills from the upperclassmen.
The sophomores stepping up and contributing significant minutes now that they have a year of the University of GA&CD under their belts.
The freshman "getting it" and contributing depth by mid-season.
Better defense against penetrating guards.
Better foul shooting across the board.
Good fundamental team basketball from kids that enjoy the game and understand that working as a team makes everyone better.
The 12th NC will take care of itself if the above six goals are achieved.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was looking for a little more detailed Christmas list, but I certainly can’t disagree with your wish list.
I'm a big picture guy. :cool:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I want to see them play intense trapping defense and non stop running offense and really put that depth to good use.

I want to be able to feel that if some of our AA players get in foul trouble, I don't have to worry that the game is in doubt.

I want to see improvement from every single player but especially Crystal Dangerfield who I hope looks like MoJeff during her sophomore year.

I want the NPOY talk to be a debate between Gabby, Z, Lou and Pheesa.

I want Meg and Mikalya to show flashes of greatness.

I want to meet SC or Texas or Baylor or ND in the finals and bludgeon them.

That's all for now. Got to go to work.

Not even Mississippi State? The team that most recently snuffed out the Husky flame? No?

Wow, you guys are nice. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not even Mississippi State? The team that most recently snuffed out the Husky flame? No?

Wow, you guys are nice. ;)

To be honest, never even thought of them. In my mind, the loss was such a fluke and had such a david / goliath feel to it that I do not consider them to be a real threat. If they make it to the NC, I would feel differently but I do not think they can really do it. I know they are preseason ranked high (6 by some) but I do not see the miraculous Morgan William story repeating itself. Also, never a real fan of Victoria Vivians (major volume streak shooter) and no way any center including Teaira McCowan will dominate us like last year with our new depth.

Reaction Score
I want to see the kids have fun.
I want to see Geno complain that the kids are having too much fun.
I want to see really hard-nosed tough, stick 'em, man-to-man D.
I want to see a lot of Gabby, Pheesa and the new guys skying for rebounds.
I want to see Lou get a rebound when the ball drops to the floor and no one else is around to get it :).
I want to see Lou and Z bomb those treys.
I want to see Crystal lead Showtime and have Gabby, Pheesa and Z finish strong.
I want to see all the new players and the 2 sophs get good playing time and experience to build toward future years.

And most of all, I want what Coco wants: 6 straight wins to end the season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I want to see Lou get a rebound when the ball drops to the floor and no one else is around to get it :).
Bags, some might suggest that this particular desire is a bit of an obsession for you.....not me personally....but some might suggest it.....:rolleyes:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
To be honest, never even thought of them. In my mind, the loss was such a fluke and had such a david / goliath feel to it that I do not consider them to be a real threat. If they make it to the NC, I would feel differently but I do not think they can really do it. I know they are preseason ranked high (6 by some) but I do not see the miraculous Morgan William story repeating itself. Also, never a real fan of Victoria Vivians (major volume streak shooter) and no way any center including Teaira McCowan will dominate us like last year with our new depth.

I don't know... UConn is stacked beyond belief but that trio of McCowan, Vivians and William will be well coached and seasoned enough with complimentary pieces to be a threat for anybody.

I would love to see a rematch of this game!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The season concluding with 6 consecutive wins.
Someone made this point last year. The Huskies only need to win the last game of the season, because everyone else, except for 3 teams, lose their last game of the season, either in their conference tournament or in one of 3 postseason tournaments: NCAA, WNIT & WBI (UConn is practically assured an invite to the Big Dance).

Reaction Score
Bags, some might suggest that this particular desire is a bit of an obsession for you.....not me personally....but some might suggest it.....:rolleyes:
I know, oldude. And I take the sarcasm face of your statement, too.
But seriously, for me, as a teacher who admires Geno as one of the greatest teachers I've ever seen, it is frustrating that the coaches don't really hammer this into Lou, because it would make her a far greater pro--not to mention that last year she was the tallest UConn player on the court in a season when they were seriously vertically challenged. Her lack of rebounding put enormous pressure on Gabby and Pheesa. I have fantastic admiration for Lou, but, again as a teacher, you put the highest expectations on students that you believe can do better than they are currently doing. Now that Z and Batouly have joined the club, there is far less pressure on Lou to fight for rebounds, and that is really her loss going forward.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know, oldude. And I take the sarcasm face of your statement, too.
But seriously, for me, as a teacher who admires Geno as one of the greatest teachers I've ever seen, it is frustrating that the coaches don't really hammer this into Lou, because it would make her a far greater pro--not to mention that last year she was the tallest UConn player on the court in a season when they were seriously vertically challenged. Her lack of rebounding put enormous pressure on Gabby and Pheesa. I have fantastic admiration for Lou, but, again as a teacher, you put the highest expectations on students that you believe can do better than they are currently doing. Now that Z and Batouly have joined the club, there is far less pressure on Lou to fight for rebounds, and that is really her loss going forward.
Well stated. I have to believe that one of your favorite plays from last year occurred late in the 2nd half of the SC game.

Lou wasn’t having a particularly good shooting day. On one play she crashed the offensive boards from the right wing to grab a missed shot amongst the trees. Went up with a shot. Had it blocked. Grabbed the blocked shot. Went up again and was fouled. She then calmly sank 2 foul shots.

We would all like to see more of that from Lou.

Reaction Score
Continuing improvement and expanded game skills from the upperclassmen.
The sophomores stepping up and contributing significant minutes now that they have a year of the University of GA&CD under their belts.
The freshman "getting it" and contributing depth by mid-season.
Better defense against penetrating guards.
Better foul shooting across the board.
Good fundamental team basketball from kids that enjoy the game and understand that working as a team makes everyone better.
The 12th NC will take care of itself if the above six goals are achieved.

They shot 78% as a team from the free throw line last year. What more do you want?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom