What do you want to see from the Huskies this year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What do you want to see from the Huskies this year?

Reaction Score
Continuing improvement and expanded game skills from the upperclassmen.

This, particularly with respect to Kia, who was outstanding as a freshman, but never really had a big leap as a sophomore or junior. She started making that leap the middle of last season, but it was somewhat offset by her untimely foot injury.

The other thing they really need to do is figure out how to counter the style of defense that Mississippi State (and earlier Tulane) threw at them, which is to swarm/smother the UConn guards up near the center line, taking away the perimeter passing game, and to slow down and control the pace of game in order to minimize the number of Husky offensive possessions. The inability of our team to read and react to that on a situational basis was troubling, as was Geno's comment late this summer that he had not yet gone back to rewatch and analyze the final four loss since it occurred.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This, particularly with respect to Kia, who was outstanding as a freshman, but never really had a big leap as a sophomore or junior. She started making that leap the middle of last season, but it was somewhat offset by her untimely foot injury.

The other thing they really need to do is figure out how to counter the style of defense that Mississippi State (and earlier Tulane) threw at them, which was to smother the UConn guards back near the center line, taking away the perimeter passing game, and to slow down the pace of game in order to minimize the number of offensive possessions for the Huskies. The inability of our team to read and react to that on a situational basis was troubling, as was Geno's comment late this summer that he has not gone back to watch and analyze the final four loss since it had occurred.
I don't think Geno needs to rewatch. He knows what happened.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I want to see the kids have fun.
I want to see Geno complain that the kids are having too much fun.
I want to see really hard-nosed tough, stick 'em, man-to-man D.
I want to see a lot of Gabby, Pheesa and the new guys skying for rebounds.
I want to see Lou get a rebound when the ball drops to the floor and no one else is around to get it :).
I want to see Lou and Z bomb those treys.
I want to see Crystal lead Showtime and have Gabby, Pheesa and Z finish strong.
I want to see all the new players and the 2 sophs get good playing time and experience to build toward future years.

And most of all, I want what Coco wants: 6 straight wins to end the season.

All of the above and I'd like to see something unexpected, a zone press, a 1-3-1 zone, anything strategically unpredictable that has nearly as much to do with flummoxing and eviscerating the opposition as does UConn's talent, motivation, preparedness and intensity.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The other thing they really need to do is figure out how to counter the style of defense that Mississippi State (and earlier Tulane) threw at them, which is to swarm/smother the UConn guards up near the center line, taking away the perimeter passing game, and to slow down and control the pace of game in order to minimize the number of Husky offensive possessions.
The way to counter MS St’s gameplan, or any other team that tries to slow down the game is to speed up the other team by pressuring them all over the court, something the Huskies could not do last year with an extremely limited bench. This year with a deep bench, expect a lot more pressure from the Huskies, to the point where teams like MS St are dragging their tongues on the floor by the end of the game.

Reaction Score
The way to counter MS St’s gameplan, or any other team that tries to slow down the game is to speed up the other team by pressuring them all over the court, something the Huskies could not do last year with an extremely limited bench. This year with a deep bench, expect a lot more pressure from the Huskies, to the point where teams like MS St are dragging their tongues on the floor by the end of the game.

Fully agree with you here. The pace of game side of what happened in Dallas was really on the Huskies, as Crystal in particular often slow-walked the ball up the court in the second half whenever the Huskies took possession. At that point, I think the team was just physically (and mentally) exhausted, with no fresh legs available to sub in. That should not be an issue this season due to a much deeper bench, as you point out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Fully agree with you here. The pace of game side of what happened in Dallas was really on the Huskies, as Crystal in particular often slow-walked the ball up the court in the second half whenever the Huskies took possession. At that point, I think the team was just physically (and mentally) exhausted, with no fresh legs available to sub in. That should not be an issue this season due to a much deeper bench, as you point out.
The UCONN fatigue actually started to show in the UCLA game. Gabby especially was noticeably exhausted before half time. Kara Lawson commented on it.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I want UCONN's 12th national championship from this season's team. Don't care how they do it. Don't care how many games they lose. Don't care who does what. Simply deliver #12.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s not just fatigue. When you pressure teams typically you commit more fouls, and last year’s team could ill afford foul problems.

Reaction Score
It’s not just fatigue. When you pressure teams typically you commit more fouls, and last year’s team could ill afford foul problems.

I want to hear Kia bring her sharpest tongue and razor wit to the normally boring post game interviews.

Reaction Score
They shot 78% as a team from the free throw line last year. What more do you want?
A team average of 80%+. Hey, I'm a perfectionist and if they had shot just a bit better from the free throw line last March the 12th NC trophy might already be in the case at Storrs.;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I have a feeling some of you want to see 5 Huskies earn first team All American honors this season, but you might settle for 4 and throw Wilson and South Carolina a bone for 1 slot. ;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I want to see Geno lose his mind at least 5x this year even though the team is winning by 30.
I want to see Crystal Dangerfield step up and become not Moriah, but Renee in all of her glory.
I want a free season ticket.
I want the Husky's to have 5 first team AA's and two second team's.
I want Geno to say each of his incoming freshmen are practicing and playing with effort like he's rarely seen.
And that each of them will be a future AA.
I want to see the Geno dance with the cut net draped around his head and shoulders this April.
I want to see another UConn national title this year inspire record numbers of national monies donated to the University of Connecticut.
I want to see ONO, Williams, Brunnelle, Boston, and Bueckers in Husky blue and on the floor at the same time.
I want Geno to come out in favor of free Starbucks for every Husky fan for life.
I want Stevens to say she'll return next year after winning this years MOP.
I want Steven A. Smith to admit WCBB is exciting and is played by world class athletes.
I want Tom Brady to attend a few games this year.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
All of the above and I'd like to see something unexpected, a zone press, a 1-3-1 zone, anything strategically unpredictable that has nearly as much to do with flummoxing and eviscerating the opposition as does UConn's talent, motivation, preparedness and intensity.
I like all that you said here except the eviscerating and that is only because I don't know what it means and don't feel like looking up the meaning. However, it must be something positive.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I want to see Geno lose his mind at least 5x this year even though the team is winning by 30.
I want to see Crystal Dangerfield step up and become not Moriah, but Renee in all of her glory.
I want a free season ticket.
I want the Husky's to have 5 first team AA's and two second team's.
I want Geno to say each of his incoming freshmen are practicing and playing with effort like he's rarely seen.
And that each of them will be a future AA.
I want to see the Geno dance with the cut net draped around his head and shoulders this April.
I want to see another UConn national title this year inspire record numbers of national monies donated to the University of Connecticut.
I want to see ONO, Williams, Brunnelle, Boston, and Bueckers in Husky blue and on the floor at the same time.
I want Geno to come out in favor of free Starbucks for every Husky fan for life.
I want Stevens to say she'll return next year after winning this years MOP.
I want Steven A. Smith to admit WCBB is exciting and is played by world class athletes.
I want Tom Brady to attend a few games this year.

For me the best moment of any championship season is not the floor celebration or the net cutting but when, with one or two or (hopefully) three or more minutes remaining in the title game, Geno substitutes for his seniors--in this case Gabby and Kia--and brings them off the court for that final hug, symbolizing not only the appreciation he feels for another championship but for the love and gratitude he has for those players and the contribution they made to the program. That's always a goose bump and tearful moment for me.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
For me the best moment of any championship season is not the floor celebration or the net cutting but when, with one or two or (hopefully) three or more minutes remaining in the title game, Geno substitutes for his seniors--in this case Gabby and Kia--and brings them off the court for that final hug, symbolizing not only the appreciation he feels for another championship but for the love and gratitude he has for those players and the contribution they made to the program. That's always a goose bump and tearful moment for me.
You and me both you old softee. You and me both.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom