What do you think returning players and newbies need to work on before next season starts? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What do you think returning players and newbies need to work on before next season starts?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Caroline - love her toughness, BBall-IQ, she scores around the basket, and plays defense with an intensity. Her shooting needs work, and maybe shot selection. A mid-range pullup would help her become a very dangerous and multi-faceted scoring threat.

Azzi - I love Azzi, but she was a victim of injury, and to a degree, the public's somewhat inflated expectations. However, she adjusted well in her short season. Needs to work on her ball handling, and develop a few moves to create her own shot. This will give her a good escape option when being double-teamed. Improved defensive fundamentals would be a plus.

She's now experienced high level college basketball at the highest level -- a National Championship. Next season she will have some swagger.

Amari - I would have liked it if Geno worked her into the rotation right from the start of the season. I have no idea what she needs to work on, but I'm sure the coaches gave her a plan. I think we're going to see a player with a very high BBIQ based on the small sample we got to observe. But she looked comfortable, was active, and facilitated. I think she's a player.
Azzi is a player whose year was mostly broken by the injury. I saw her as the year drew to a close make so very spiffy moves, particularly on the offensive end AND she's quite capable of banging out there if necessary. She's no shrinking violet.

Reaction Score
I was wondering, rather than create another thread, what are some of the biggest year to year or even over the course of career jumps you've seen.
I'm just wondering what is realistic for these players. Like is it realistic to expect Dorka to finish inside next season, or for Azzi to become an off the dribble scorer. Are there guards in the past who have physically matured a lot over their careers that u would hope PB would follow in their trajectory. What are your thoughts?

Reaction Score
I thought Olivia made a huge improvement -- scoring moves, confidence, defense, rebounding. She still has a high upside too.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Rebounding, Rebounding and Rebounding!
Boxing out, boxing out, boxing out as soon as you see opponents are going to hoist a shot. And box out to keep your opponent as far from the basket as possible. Knees bent, butt on opponent's thighs. It's that simple.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
A point to focus on for next year. As painful as the ending was, just watched the Stanford and SC games again. Many of the rebounds UConn lost came where the bigs, usually ONO or Edwards, had to come over to help when the SC or Stanford forward or guard (Haley Jones for example) blew by their defender. When the shots missed, UConn was out of position to box out. Suspect that an off season to rest the bad feet, ankles, and legs will help, but better defensive execution would be welcome.
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
We all wish it was that simple. :) Rebounding is more about DESIRE and /or Wanting the ball more then your opponent does.
Desire and/or pure animal effort do not accomplish much if it lacks the fundamentals and execution of understanding and technique. Watch most games-- both men and women. Most common error= following the trajectory of the shot toward the basket, and then turning away from opponent and moving toward the basket without making solid contact with the opponent and blocking his/her path to the ball. Put strength, desire, and technique together: just two of those three just doesn't work well . . . or well enough.

Reaction Score
What I want is for everyone to stay on campus and play pickup games for as many hours as they can this summer. They need to develop better communication and learn to play better defense.

Reaction Score
What I want is for everyone to stay on campus and play pickup games for as many hours as they can this summer. They need to develop better communication and learn to play better defense.
100% with you on the defense needs to get better. Guard play defense especially, too many players I think are caught ball watching and not knowing where the player is going to go. They also need to get stronger, not sure if Paige can though. I thought Ducharme was the strongest guard when the season ended, compared to how skinny she was before the season started.

Reaction Score
Desire and/or pure animal effort do not accomplish much if it lacks the fundamentals and execution of understanding and technique. Watch most games-- both men and women. Most common error= following the trajectory of the shot toward the basket, and then turning away from opponent and moving toward the basket without making solid contact with the opponent and blocking his/her path to the ball. Put strength, desire, and technique together: just two of those three just doesn't work well . . . or well enough.
That was basically my point. You can teach Boxing out and what you need to do. You see a lot of players boxing out BUT that's all they do . If the ball "trajectory" is not in there immediate area, they stand there and watch. The BEST rebounders WANT the ball and go after it.:)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Boxing out, boxing out, boxing out as soon as you see opponents are going to hoist a shot. And box out to keep your opponent as far from the basket as possible. Knees bent, butt on opponent's thighs. It's that simple.
Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Reaction Score
Rebounding, Rebounding and Rebounding!
Absolutely. Follow your shot, don't just stand there and watch it. Even the best shooters make just over half their shots.
Also, work on getting your head around and seeing the basket before releasing the ball on layups (ala martial arts spin kicks) rather than turn and shoot all in the same motion.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I find it odd that some fans think that UCONN teams simply lack desire or effort. I have heard countless announcers, especially Culmo, say that "X team just wanted it more", or "X player wanted it more". As if UCONN lost the NC game because SC wanted it more, or UCONN beat Stanford, Indiana, NC State, UCF, etc. because we wanted it more.

I do agree that certain players have a fire and play harder than others, even on UCONN. Shea Ralph, Kia Nurse, Nika Muhl come to mind for players who give 100% on defense every possession...

I don't disagree that some players don't give 100% out there. Rhyne Howard is a perfect example of a player blessed with incredible physical gifts, but her effort on the floor ebbs and flows depending on her mood. But I'd be hard pressed to see Geno ever let a player get any minutes on the court if the effort was not 100%+. I think DeBerry was the lone example of that this season - maybe she WAS giving 100%, but it never really looked like it to my untrained eyes.

Point is, folks on here really believe UCONN players simply didn't have the desire to get rebounds? That overall, our post players lacked effort? Because that is basically what some are saying.

I'm not a good enough analyst to notice the nuances of how our team played, but I just wanted to be clear that some are saying our team lacked effort and desire and "want". And for the record, I'm not necessarily saying those people are wrong, just trying to understand.

Reaction Score
I find it odd that some fans think that UCONN teams simply lack desire or effort. I have heard countless announcers, especially Culmo, say that "X team just wanted it more", or "X player wanted it more". As if UCONN lost the NC game because SC wanted it more, or UCONN beat Stanford, Indiana, NC State, UCF, etc. because we wanted it more.

I do agree that certain players have a fire and play harder than others, even on UCONN. Shea Ralph, Kia Nurse, Nika Muhl come to mind for players who give 100% on defense every possession...

I don't disagree that some players don't give 100% out there. Rhyne Howard is a perfect example of a player blessed with incredible physical gifts, but her effort on the floor ebbs and flows depending on her mood. But I'd be hard pressed to see Geno ever let a player get any minutes on the court if the effort was not 100%+. I think DeBerry was the lone example of that this season - maybe she WAS giving 100%, but it never really looked like it to my untrained eyes.

Point is, folks on here really believe UCONN players simply didn't have the desire to get rebounds? That overall, our post players lacked effort? Because that is basically what some are saying.

I'm not a good enough analyst to notice the nuances of how our team played, but I just wanted to be clear that some are saying our team lacked effort and desire and "want". And for the record, I'm not necessarily saying those people are wrong, just trying to understand.
EricLA, I understand the point you're making. As someone who played in H.S. and has been watching a lot of Basketball, there are player's who were blessed with height, long arms, big hands. 80 % of those players (give or take ) have become dependent on those natural gifts. when they start playing against better competition where players are as big or bigger, Stronger ,faster, they rely on what they have/know and it's the player's that become more aggressive, that want the ball that give the extra 10% as they say, They will progress and become the Boston's or Morrows of the game.

Reaction Score
Now that the season is over and we are looking to next season, I wonder what people think about the subject topic. I know there are tons of players in the transfer portal, and many think UCONN needs a sharpshooting guard and possibly a strong physical post player. But without knowing if/who might be transferring in, thoughts on what the current kids should work on over the summer?

Aubrey - just get healthy and see where it gets her. No expectations but just a sincere hope she can get back on the court and be productive

Paige - continue to get healthy. At the end of the season, most kids have aches and pains and minor injuries of one kind or another. Hope she takes some time off to completely heal and then do the best she can on strength training.

Nika - she ended the season as the 4th best 3-point shooter on the team (behind Liya who did not make very many attempts). I think she has a better offensive game than people thinks, so continue on working on the 3-point shot to get it even better, and work on developing more of a scorer's mentality - this team really had no one who drove to the basket and sought out contact save for Paige (and maybe Caroline). I'd like to see Nika take on that role more. She's tough enough.

Aaliyah - she was a conundrum this season. For at least half the year, she was nothing like the player she was as a freshman. Bottle whatever she drank for the 2nd half of the season. Work on making layups thru contact (they have this big pad that someone can hold and push into players - they can use that to push Liya around while she tries to make layups). Also work on her mid range and 3-point shot. She's already a good FT shooter and hit 40% of her 3's this season, so having her step out more consistently would be great.

Dorka - so glad she's coming back. It took her time to get acclimated to the UCONN offense. Just keep working hard on what she has been doing and get even better for next season. Would also like to see her work on her passing. Olivia was a great passer especially from the top of the key. In the past we've had players like Steph Dolson and Gabby who excelled at that so maybe Dorka can add that to her game.

Azzi - Get 100% healthy. She's a super hard worker. Maybe work on more types of ways to get open for 3-point shots. Teams have learned to shadow, deny, and harass her every second she's on the floor, so she will need to up her game and find ways to score.

Amari - great seeing her get in during the NC game. She needs to work on her intensity and motor when on the court. IIRC Geno said she was a terrible practice player. She needs to get completely on board with 100% effort at all times. Maybe work on a baby hook shot since she's not a banger in the post. Also, if she wants to take 3 pointers, she needs to make them. 21% efficiency makes that shot useless if she is getting more PT.

Piath - she was so raw and has improved so much. Just keep putting in the effort to get better and better. Add some strength and work on a mid-range game.

Caroline - bottle what she did in the NC game and continue with that level of confidence. Also work tenaciously on her 3-point shot. She won the 3-point shooting contest before the season started, and ended the season with the worst % of any of the guards. Only ONO (and Amari) had a worse 3 point %, and it was only fractionally lower.

Ayanna - tremendous athleticism, but needs to work on getting the ball in the basket. Also work on the mid-range game.

Ice - awesome all around game and skills, but do NOT wait till October to start working on fitness and stamina.

Anyway just my $.02.
Nothing to disagree with here---I'm a Caroline, Fudd, Dorka fan (Love em all but these hold special interest.. I know Caroline has everything needed to be an AA Fudd Too. I'd like Fudd working on the quick release shot Poor kid she is going to be a target for the next 3 years.. Dorka has to work on handling the really physical teams that was her one weakness. She shoots well, normally, under the basket, pretty good with 3's, learned defense will be better. My hope the hand injury doesn't give her mental or physical issues from the injury.

Reaction Score

You've put on your thinking cap, two great posts in a row. Absolutely, agree.
No one plays harder than Uconn. You don't play for Geno if you don't put out 200 percent. Few players for Uconn that remained 4 years didn't give all they had, nearly every game. This BS of someone wanting to win the game more than Geno's kids is just that BS. All you have to do is look at the tears and faces of UConn after ANY loss.
You are like me in the analytical mode. I see what I like, I see the game being played as I think it should be played --or not. In the NC game, or any, injuries were a factor. Not "wanting". Lest we forget even in the NC game there were 2 teams on the floor. On this one day, one team was the better--not better people, more and specific talent and size. On some years that team has been (11 years to be exact) that has been Uconn. Did Uconn want it more than ND, and a list of opponents in those other NC games?? No way, oh shea

Reaction Score
I'm just going to give some thoughts on the guards because I don't really know how to critique post players TBH. It would just end up being simple stuff like expand your range, rebound, stop fouling, blah blah blah. Plus...it's a guard's game anyways right?

Paige - Develop the ability to post-up on smaller guards like Caroline does. She sometimes has trouble when guarded by small, quick guards (Henderson in the NC game, McDonald in last year's FF) so being able to post-up on them would help exploit the height advantage. If she is able to do that, the other team's will likely try to switch taller defenders onto her as a counter and she has proven that she can go to work on taller defenders (Brink in the FF, Beal in last year's SC game, Richards in last year's Elite 8). Also, become a better on-ball defender. She's an excellent off-ball defender because of her basketball IQ and length so that's why she's able to grab a good amount of steals. I will note that her on-ball defense may have been lacking a bit due to the knee.

Azzi - Work on her shifty-ness when moving off the ball so that she can get open more often. Gain more confidence driving to the basket and using her handles. We saw glimpses of it against Villanova and Marquette towards the end of the regular season so she's very much capable, just needs to show it off more (especially when her shot isn't falling). Some have mentioned that they'd like to see her get more comfortable bringing the ball up like a PG and I agree. She had some trouble breaking presses in the tournament so that's definitely an area for improvement.

Caroline - Get more consistent with her shooting. I also think she needs to add a dribble pull-up like Paige and Azzi. She's pretty good at little runners in the paint and driving to the basket so adding better shooting from the perimeter will make her the complete package. Also, I'd love to see her work on her vertical. I feel like she doesn't jump much on her shots and can get away with it against smaller defenders because of her height but it can be an issue against taller defenders. Same as Paige, work on on-ball defense. Her and Paige are great off-ball defenders and use their length to get in the passing lanes and get steals. Caroline showed some great promise as an on-ball defender in January (remember that Creighton game when she had 3 really good blocks?) so I hope that's something she continues to work on.

Nika - This one is pretty obvious but she needs to become more of a scoring threat. Everyone knows that Nika is known for the intangibles (energy, effort, etc.) and her pesky defense. She has clearly worked on her 3-point shot and she's pretty much been knock-down when left open. Her ability to shoot the 3 is keeping defenses somewhat honest when she is on the floor but they still cheat off of her a bit because she doesn't look to score. I'd like to see her develop a mid-range shot and make more back door cuts to the basket. It could really throw defenses off and take advantage of the attention that's paid to Paige and Azzi. She has shown off her handles and ability to drive into the lane in transition so I'd like to see more of that in the half court setting as well.
it would be nice, if Nika scored more. But if you took notice she seemed to score just when Uconn needed someone to score. She is important in leading the charge. She, to me, is the toughness of Uconn, the spirit, the tough heart. If there were two player I could replicate/clone, today, it would be Caroline and Nika. When Nika is in the game the whole game changes--or I change because I just enjoy everything NIKA.

Reaction Score
REBOUNDING! REBOUNDING! and REBOUNDING ! Especially DEFENSE REBOUNDING ! Box out and don't give your opponent 2nd chance. If that was being done, we might not lose to SC the other night !!
I'm a believer Uconn needs rebounding. TRUE. Please look at the SC team then the UC team. Count the numbers of usable players on each bench. Look at the physical size of ONO and Boston. Look at the size of those supporting Boston, then look at the size of those supporting ONO.
Size for size Nika does great rebounding. But she isn't going to take the ball away from Boston unless Boston brings the ball to her knees. Size, talent, experience---compare. After you do that we'll talk again about REBOUNDING--but I do agree Uconn needs help in that--get me Stokes or Dolson, or even Stewies then we can take on Boston et al. But this team, as it was, did all it could and was allowed by the size and speed of the Gamecocks. Again, I agree, Uconn needs help in the rebounding area, that won't come without getting a player or 3 capable in rebounding.

Reaction Score
I am sure the coaching staff has met with the players and gone over things to work on for summer workouts. For me, I hope the players are working on their basketball IQ, shooting, footwork, defense, and rebounding. As well as their motivation for the season. Are you trying to be the best that you can be? Are you content with just getting a roster spot? Do you want to take over a roster spot? Only the players know this. If they can look at themselves in the mirror at night and know that they gave 100% that is all that matters. But for me, just working on that basketball IQ, shooting, footwork, defense and rebounding are huge.

Reaction Score

other teams are just stronger, when they impose their will the team doesn't respond and they get discouraged. This team has to get stronger, feels like this is said every offseason but it's true.

Reaction Score
I'm not asking for much. Just the below- work on their games to become the below. Simple. :)

I think that if they could play like the below players then just maybe just maybe we can stay within 30 of the "ALL-TIME" two loss in a single season SC team. :)

Paige To play like DT

Azzi To play like a combo of Sue Bird/DT

Nika To play like Jen Rizzotti

CD To play like a combo of Moore/Sales/Sveta/Bascom

AE To play like a combo of Lobo/AJones/Tuck

Dorka To play like a combo of Stewie/Lobo

Amari To play like Stewie offensively and a prime Stokes defensively

Ayanna To play like Swin Cash

Brady To play like a combo of Lobo/Dolson/AJones/Tuck.

Aubrey To play like Swin Cash

This is what they should strive in some manner to be imo. :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Can't you just point out all the good things she brought to the court this season and look forward to what she will undoubtedly bring as a sophomore?
Ummm, no , this is a thread about what players need to do to improve.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't think the players need to waste their time working on rebounding or foul shooting or weight lifting.

What everyone seems to have missed is, IIRC, we did not have 1 successful Alley-Oop or Dunk. All season.

That's what they should be working on this off-season. Alley-Oops and Dunks.

Reaction Score
I don't think the players need to waste their time working on rebounding or foul shooting or weight lifting.

What everyone seems to have missed is, IIRC, we did not have 1 successful Alley-Oop or Dunk. All season.

That's what they should be working on this off-season. Alley-Oops and Dunks.
Yup. Those things really matter. Two points that way is better than a three pointer in the aggregate. Watkins and Patterson is going to be a huge matchup in 2023. :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom