What do you think returning players and newbies need to work on before next season starts? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What do you think returning players and newbies need to work on before next season starts?

Reaction Score
I am sure the coaching staff has met with the players and gone over things to work on for summer workouts. For me, I hope the players are working on their basketball IQ, shooting, footwork, defense, and rebounding. As well as their motivation for the season. Are you trying to be the best that you can be? Are you content with just getting a roster spot? Do you want to take over a roster spot? Only the players know this. If they can look at themselves in the mirror at night and know that they gave 100% that is all that matters. But for me, just working on that basketball IQ, shooting, footwork, defense and rebounding are huge.
This is not my idea of a negative question, no insult intended. Exactly what do you consider Basketball I.O.
Again, just a statement with no hidden negatives: It is my impression, after watching Geno's teams since the early 90's that most come in with a high BB IQ or is drilled into them along the way. So, exactly what are they missing.

Obviously, each of them has something to learn or we'd be caling them Steff, DT, Sue,etc. The ONE thing (maybe 2) I want is a very talented young lady 6 ft 6 " , mobiles, defends superbly, dunks regularly, weighs 210, 220 and cannot be knocked off from where she wants to be. Simple, easy, I don't want much. With that lady on the floor with the team we have--Uconn could become the REAL Worlds Champion--4 or 5 times in a row.

Reaction Score
Yup. Those things really matter. Two points that way is better than a three pointer in the aggregate. Watkins and Patterson is going to be a huge matchup in 2023.
We don't have an Alley OOP. Is there anyone that can come to Uconn that has long hairy arms, like A. O.?? I'd rather see the lob pass for a lay up.
:confused:

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I really have no idea as to what the kids need to work on for next season or even who will be on the team.

Having said that. I have said and felt that Nika shot enough and Paige would be more effective as the the off guard,still doing what she does but with less pressure. I was "wrong". If they were in Jr High or High School, yes.

I swear, in the SC game it looked like ever SC player bodied up against a UConn player to prevent them from receiving a pass from Nika whenever she stepped inside the 3 point line. Golly Gee! Nika was on an Island all by herself. And "Not" prepared to shoot the ball!

Nika has to consistently be prepared to shoot when 2 or 4 steps inside the 3 point line when "THE" better option doesn't develop. Nika has to shoot and hit those to free up her team mate's.

MY second thought is that I hope and pray that Alliyah stays the hell away from the Canadian Olympic Team. At least until she graduates.

Reaction Score
I really have no idea as to what the kids need to work on for next season or even who will be on the team.

Having said that. I have said and felt that Nika shot enough and Paige would be more effective as the the off guard,still doing what she does but with less pressure. I was "wrong". If they were in Jr High or High School, yes.

I swear, in the SC game it looked like ever SC player bodied up against a UConn player to prevent them from receiving a pass from Nika whenever she stepped inside the 3 point line. Golly Gee! Nika was on an Island all by herself. And "Not" prepared to shoot the ball!

Nika has to consistently be prepared to shoot when 2 or 4 steps inside the 3 point line when "THE" better option doesn't develop. Nika has to shoot and hit those to free up her team mate's.

MY second thought is that I hope and pray that Alliyah stays the hell away from the Canadian Olympic Team. At least until she graduates.
it's doubt, the Oregon game is the game I bring up where the team basically left Nika open from 3 and she hesitated and wouldn't shoot and pass the ball up. Fudd was the biggest disappointment from a confidence standpoint. I can't tell you how many times analysts or announcers doing game said when she misses a shot she gets fogged and hesitates to shoot again. You can't have that mentality of being scared to miss, if you miss so what. Those are some of the hurdles the players have to get over. Again this is youth and inexperience. That's why this season feels like a bigger obstacle than last season. Only 1 sr and it's a 5th year sr coming off a gruesome injury. Really no veteran leadership so this will be a test for one of the other players to step up.

Reaction Score
Rebounding is a team sport. Everyone rebounds! Aaliyah & Liv were so conscious of fouling in the SC game that they did not rebound as good as they should. I think the absence of Dorka and the coaching staff drilling them with the importance to not foul was their issue.

Paige: Keep on doing what she does and get healthy and stronger

Caroline: She rushed her 3 point shots. Perhaps practice to quicken her shooting in proper form.

Azzi: She was very frustrating for me to watch. She is so talented with her shooting that she passed up many shots and had a difficult time getting open. Geno and his staff has to be a bit more creative and get her open. I am sure they have and it appears to work under lesser opponents, but not so against SC the two times they met. Understood that both times she was either sick or injured. --- In my opinion for Azzi to take the next step upwards is she needs to fake or work on a side step 3 pointer. Azzi would pass up her 3 pointers so often when an opponent would charge her just before shooting. She should decide to shoot, fake or side step and let her opponent blow by her and then shoot. Only pass the ball when the other player is fully covering her.

Amari: So talented and is 6'5". We have to take what Geno was telling us in that she has to get a bit more serious when it comes to her game. Definitely get stronger and work on her rebounding and shooting. If she does this? No need for a portal transfer. She is better than anything in the portal.

One year older and maturity makes a big difference to many players. I strongly feel Uconn will be a better team next year. The only team in the way is SC and A. Rose. Learn to neutralize her in rebounding and they can take it all next year. Kentucky managed to win their title game against SC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom