What do you think returning players and newbies need to work on before next season starts? | The Boneyard

What do you think returning players and newbies need to work on before next season starts?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Now that the season is over and we are looking to next season, I wonder what people think about the subject topic. I know there are tons of players in the transfer portal, and many think UCONN needs a sharpshooting guard and possibly a strong physical post player. But without knowing if/who might be transferring in, thoughts on what the current kids should work on over the summer?

Aubrey - just get healthy and see where it gets her. No expectations but just a sincere hope she can get back on the court and be productive

Paige - continue to get healthy. At the end of the season, most kids have aches and pains and minor injuries of one kind or another. Hope she takes some time off to completely heal and then do the best she can on strength training.

Nika - she ended the season as the 4th best 3-point shooter on the team (behind Liya who did not make very many attempts). I think she has a better offensive game than people thinks, so continue on working on the 3-point shot to get it even better, and work on developing more of a scorer's mentality - this team really had no one who drove to the basket and sought out contact save for Paige (and maybe Caroline). I'd like to see Nika take on that role more. She's tough enough.

Aaliyah - she was a conundrum this season. For at least half the year, she was nothing like the player she was as a freshman. Bottle whatever she drank for the 2nd half of the season. Work on making layups thru contact (they have this big pad that someone can hold and push into players - they can use that to push Liya around while she tries to make layups). Also work on her mid range and 3-point shot. She's already a good FT shooter and hit 40% of her 3's this season, so having her step out more consistently would be great.

Dorka - so glad she's coming back. It took her time to get acclimated to the UCONN offense. Just keep working hard on what she has been doing and get even better for next season. Would also like to see her work on her passing. Olivia was a great passer especially from the top of the key. In the past we've had players like Steph Dolson and Gabby who excelled at that so maybe Dorka can add that to her game.

Azzi - Get 100% healthy. She's a super hard worker. Maybe work on more types of ways to get open for 3-point shots. Teams have learned to shadow, deny, and harass her every second she's on the floor, so she will need to up her game and find ways to score.

Amari - great seeing her get in during the NC game. She needs to work on her intensity and motor when on the court. IIRC Geno said she was a terrible practice player. She needs to get completely on board with 100% effort at all times. Maybe work on a baby hook shot since she's not a banger in the post. Also, if she wants to take 3 pointers, she needs to make them. 21% efficiency makes that shot useless if she is getting more PT.

Piath - she was so raw and has improved so much. Just keep putting in the effort to get better and better. Add some strength and work on a mid-range game.

Caroline - bottle what she did in the NC game and continue with that level of confidence. Also work tenaciously on her 3-point shot. She won the 3-point shooting contest before the season started, and ended the season with the worst % of any of the guards. Only ONO (and Amari) had a worse 3 point %, and it was only fractionally lower.

Ayanna - tremendous athleticism, but needs to work on getting the ball in the basket. Also work on the mid-range game.

Ice - awesome all around game and skills, but do NOT wait till October to start working on fitness and stamina.

Anyway just my $.02.

Reaction Score
Players will be back on campus in less than 8 weeks, so while we are attending Memorial Day events, the players will be getting back in the gym. Bet Paige kicks all of their butts into high gear. In the meantime I hope she takes it easy and gets that knee fully healed.

Reaction Score
Now that the season is over and we are looking to next season, I wonder what people think about the subject topic. I know there are tons of players in the transfer portal, and many think UCONN needs a sharpshooting guard and possibly a strong physical post player. But without knowing if/who might be transferring in, thoughts on what the current kids should work on over the summer?

Aubrey - just get healthy and see where it gets her. No expectations but just a sincere hope she can get back on the court and be productive

Paige - continue to get healthy. At the end of the season, most kids have aches and pains and minor injuries of one kind or another. Hope she takes some time off to completely heal and then do the best she can on strength training.

Nika - she ended the season as the 4th best 3-point shooter on the team (behind Liya who did not make very many attempts). I think she has a better offensive game than people thinks, so continue on working on the 3-point shot to get it even better, and work on developing more of a scorer's mentality - this team really had no one who drove to the basket and sought out contact save for Paige (and maybe Caroline). I'd like to see Nika take on that role more. She's tough enough.

Aaliyah - she was a conundrum this season. For at least half the year, she was nothing like the player she was as a freshman. Bottle whatever she drank for the 2nd half of the season. Work on making layups thru contact (they have this big pad that someone can hold and push into players - they can use that to push Liya around while she tries to make layups). Also work on her mid range and 3-point shot. She's already a good FT shooter and hit 40% of her 3's this season, so having her step out more consistently would be great.

Dorka - so glad she's coming back. It took her time to get acclimated to the UCONN offense. Just keep working hard on what she has been doing and get even better for next season. Would also like to see her work on her passing. Olivia was a great passer especially from the top of the key. In the past we've had players like Steph Dolson and Gabby who excelled at that so maybe Dorka can add that to her game.

Azzi - Get 100% healthy. She's a super hard worker. Maybe work on more types of ways to get open for 3-point shots. Teams have learned to shadow, deny, and harass her every second she's on the floor, so she will need to up her game and find ways to score.

Amari - great seeing her get in during the NC game. She needs to work on her intensity and motor when on the court. IIRC Geno said she was a terrible practice player. She needs to get completely on board with 100% effort at all times. Maybe work on a baby hook shot since she's not a banger in the post. Also, if she wants to take 3 pointers, she needs to make them. 21% efficiency makes that shot useless if she is getting more PT.

Piath - she was so raw and has improved so much. Just keep putting in the effort to get better and better. Add some strength and work on a mid-range game.

Caroline - bottle what she did in the NC game and continue with that level of confidence. Also work tenaciously on her 3-point shot. She won the 3-point shooting contest before the season started, and ended the season with the worst % of any of the guards. Only ONO (and Amari) had a worse 3 point %, and it was only fractionally lower.

Ayanna - tremendous athleticism, but needs to work on getting the ball in the basket. Also work on the mid-range game.

Ice - awesome all around game and skills, but do NOT wait till October to start working on fitness and stamina.

Anyway just my $.02.
Rebounding, Rebounding and Rebounding!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Our current players were part of the team that made it to the National Championship game (I am including Aubrey even though her circumstances are entirely different). First returning players in a while that can say that. (This is a compliment, and not a slam on any former Huskie.) They know how to do it. Geno and the staff know how to do it. The couple of current players that played minor roles (sorry Amari and Piath :() will have been told by the coaches what is expected for them to do. They can only improve on what they are able to do, not what we think that they should be able to do. We can only hope that when the guys return to Storrs this summer that they remember where they got to, how they got there and set their sights on returning there.

I am positive that this is the first of many, many threads on the subject this offseason so let the fun begin.

Reaction Score
Each returning player to write a summary , and point by point items to the coaches that they and the team need to work on to be more effective, lets learn from each other!

Reaction Score
after getting outrebounded in the NC the whole team mantra should be no rebound no ring so everybody's gotta crash the boards next year forget about leaking out for the fast break we gotta get physical and tough then we run. A husky is a dog so let the dog out ladies. The word is out, look what UCF and SC did they got physical and played tough in your face defense, challenge everything then put a body on someone and boxed out then got that rebound. Correct me if I'm wrong but we shot a higher percentage than SC but they had more attempts. If UCF had better scores like SC we would have lost that game. SC has players and Boston has already stated the mission is the same as this year. They have the squad to back it up but so do we if we adjust

Reaction Score
I think with CD, the big thing for me would be slowing the game down. Of course she needs to get stronger, but sometimes she comes in and wants to do it al at once. I remember an old coach of mine talking about the difference between playing with urgency and pace as oppposed to playing with panic and in a hurry. At times you could see she would rush into the shot and it had no chance. When she could catch the ball and 'bounce' into the shot, it was much different.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
They should all stay away from basketball for a few weeks, rest and rehab as necessary. Clear their minds as well. And hopefully recognize just how remarkable they are and how much they accomplished under unprecedented adversity. They are winners.

Then:

free throws and layups for almost everyone practice, practice practice

Nika, work on midrange

Aaliyah, do balance exercises

Caroline, three pointers you should be hitting a much higher percentage

Ayanna and Ice, get in UConn shape and focus on rebounding, that will get you playing time

Everyone, get stronger and focus on nutrition (apparently that made a difference with Aaliyah)

Reaction Score

Anyway just my $.02.
This is really good. I would add one thing.
AE - needs to work on ball handling skills. And securing the ball.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the thread. I find these interesting. I'm sure Geno knows best and never coached. This is just my opinion and observation.

Dorka- improve strength. Work on keeping ball high and finishing inside with both hands. Not feasible for some time with her injury. Develop one go to move in the post and be comfortable with contact.

Azzi- improve handle, practice running point for the team. Continue to extend range and work on pull up threes. Hope she has no conscious next season.

Nika- honestly not too much. Continue to work on shooting and finishing layups but I thought she was really good the last half of the season even in those areas.

AE- I wonder if this is another summer with the national team for the fiba world cup. In any event, continue working on shooting from outside and ball handling.

Paige- improve strength. Improve running team and playing with tempo. it's really her team now. Be comfortable being aggressive and creating random offense. Feel comfortable posting up consistently.

Amari- improve attention to detail. Know assignments.

CD- Get stronger. Improve 3 point shot and continue working on post moves and mid range shots.

Piath- I'm always really impressed by her. Continue working hard.

Aubrey- get healthy.

Freshman- n/a.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Anyway just my $.02.
Not much to add Eric, you just about covered it. :)

I would add - for the incoming freshmen and any new additions..........learn as much of the system as they can during the summer from the players and coaches. BOTH of them will be needed all year beginning with the first game. Our team cannot afford the luxury of allowing them to sit on the bench their freshman year like Amari and Piath did. We could have used them THIS year. Give Geno a reason to play you (earn his trust), and NOT keep you on the bench.

For everyone - Work on the things that you either received a foul for, or caused you to turn the ball over, i.e., walking as they begin their dribble, moving screens. How many times were our players called for traveling as they put the ball on the floor? Develop muscle memory to play defense with your FEET instead of your hands (reach and grab). :confused: Everyone should strive to become an 80% FT shooter this coming season.

Reaction Score

Anyway just my $.02.
REBOUNDING! REBOUNDING! and REBOUNDING ! Especially DEFENSE REBOUNDING ! Box out and don't give your opponent 2nd chance. If that was being done, we might not lose to SC the other night !!

Reaction Score

Anyway just my $.02.
You're a very astute student of the game EricLA, so why have you (and some others) conveniently forgotten why Caroline's 3pt percentage is so low? Many, perhaps even most, of her missed 3pt shots were taken because she had been instructed to shoot whenever she felt she was open. Perhaps that's not an acceptable excuse, but it is a statement of fact! Try to remember the circumstances she was under. She's a freshman, forced to basically lead this team under a high state of pressure due to all the injures. The seniors weren't getting the job done, Edwards was a bust at that point, Nika wasn't Nika, etc., etc. Regardless, most of the missed 3s (perhaps 80+%) were poor shot selections as she rushed them all. I know you know that the general rule IS ... If you don't have time to set your feet, square your shoulders and shoot in rhythm on 3s ... don't take the shot. But, is it really necessary to continually beat her up over of it? Can't you just point out all the good things she brought to the court this season and look forward to what she will undoubtedly bring as a sophomore? Offer praise for her very successful contributions that went a very long way keeping us in contention for a NC, instead of burying her on the bottom of your list.

Reaction Score
UCONN women have basically two seasons. Season one is the regular season and BE Tourney. Season two is the National Tournament. Our young ladies have been dominant in season one, obviously. (OMG, we lost 5 games this year) Season two, where we have ended with losses these last 5 years, after strong runs to the FF. Why?
I believe that these last years teams have been missing a dominant offensive player in the low post, who can both score and rebound. Geno's system, and it has produced the best record ever, needed that type of player inside. He hasn't had it.
So what to do? He needs to slightly modify his offense, to let his best players have more opportunities to go one-on-one. Kentucky beat SC when Howard did that in the 4th qtr.
We don't have to go one in-four out, ala Iowa or Crieghton. But Fudd and Bueckers can easily beat the defenders who are jamming them out at the perimeter, but they have little opportunity to drive and make moves because too many defenders are in the paint waiting for them.

Reaction Score
I'm just going to give some thoughts on the guards because I don't really know how to critique post players TBH. It would just end up being simple stuff like expand your range, rebound, stop fouling, blah blah blah. Plus...it's a guard's game anyways right?

Paige - Develop the ability to post-up on smaller guards like Caroline does. She sometimes has trouble when guarded by small, quick guards (Henderson in the NC game, McDonald in last year's FF) so being able to post-up on them would help exploit the height advantage. If she is able to do that, the other team's will likely try to switch taller defenders onto her as a counter and she has proven that she can go to work on taller defenders (Brink in the FF, Beal in last year's SC game, Richards in last year's Elite 8). Also, become a better on-ball defender. She's an excellent off-ball defender because of her basketball IQ and length so that's why she's able to grab a good amount of steals. I will note that her on-ball defense may have been lacking a bit due to the knee.

Azzi - Work on her shifty-ness when moving off the ball so that she can get open more often. Gain more confidence driving to the basket and using her handles. We saw glimpses of it against Villanova and Marquette towards the end of the regular season so she's very much capable, just needs to show it off more (especially when her shot isn't falling). Some have mentioned that they'd like to see her get more comfortable bringing the ball up like a PG and I agree. She had some trouble breaking presses in the tournament so that's definitely an area for improvement.

Caroline - Get more consistent with her shooting. I also think she needs to add a dribble pull-up like Paige and Azzi. She's pretty good at little runners in the paint and driving to the basket so adding better shooting from the perimeter will make her the complete package. Also, I'd love to see her work on her vertical. I feel like she doesn't jump much on her shots and can get away with it against smaller defenders because of her height but it can be an issue against taller defenders. Same as Paige, work on on-ball defense. Her and Paige are great off-ball defenders and use their length to get in the passing lanes and get steals. Caroline showed some great promise as an on-ball defender in January (remember that Creighton game when she had 3 really good blocks?) so I hope that's something she continues to work on.

Nika - This one is pretty obvious but she needs to become more of a scoring threat. Everyone knows that Nika is known for the intangibles (energy, effort, etc.) and her pesky defense. She has clearly worked on her 3-point shot and she's pretty much been knock-down when left open. Her ability to shoot the 3 is keeping defenses somewhat honest when she is on the floor but they still cheat off of her a bit because she doesn't look to score. I'd like to see her develop a mid-range shot and make more back door cuts to the basket. It could really throw defenses off and take advantage of the attention that's paid to Paige and Azzi. She has shown off her handles and ability to drive into the lane in transition so I'd like to see more of that in the half court setting as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom