What do you think happens to L'Ville in the next poll? | The Boneyard

What do you think happens to L'Ville in the next poll?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO Louisville drops to 7th or 8th in the Rankings.

I'm curious to see if South Carolina can jump Duke and end up as the 4th ranked team. Don't think it will happen, but SC just might be the better team right now.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Hey, the Cards just lost lost by 17 on the road to the top team in the nation who have been averaging a margin that's more than 20 points beyond that result, so sure you just have to move a Duke team that lost to UConn by 22 at home and a boost a couple of other teams past a shorthanded Louisville squad. Makes perfect sense to me. :confused:

I'll go with Kara L. who thinks the Cards will get a #1 seed.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Losing to uconn hasn't resulted in huge drops to Duke or Stanford, so I'd expect Louisville to fall a slot or two max.

On the basis of their work so far. Is have Louisville a #1 seed too. However, there's a good chance they're a #2 if they go 0-3 against uconn before the tourney, even though uconn is very, very good.

Reaction Score
They shouldn't drop at all , the SEC teams have beaten no-one since Kentucky beating Louisville at home in December. The top teams are UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford, Louisville, and probably, Baylor. Until the SEC starts playing and beating UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford, they are not worthy of being considered top 5. Mediocrity beating Mediocrity shouldn't be rewarded.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Down 2 spots, this it is and nothing more.

- quoth the raven

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So is Lville's loss worse than Stanford's loss today to a very mediocre Washington team? Seems to me the Cards probably did better than the Cardinal.

Reaction Score
Won't move. Losing to UConn is a fact of life and shouldn't affect anyone's standings in the poles. I mean every team will lose to UConn. How does that make them a worse team?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I really don't care what the polls say or do. IMO the top 5 teams in order are UConn ND LVille Stanford and Duke.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
IMHO Louisville drops to 7th or 8th in the Rankings.

7th or 8th means you think they go behind Baylor with three losses or TN with 4.

No way.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Sagarin has UConn over Louisville 14 points on a neutral court, 17 points on a UConn court. That's exactly what happened. So you could argue that they shouldn't move. I'm sure they will, but anything beyond one spot means the voters are paying attention.

If you build in the missing point guard (not in Sagarin calculations) Louisville outperformed expectations.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Losing to uconn hasn't resulted in huge drops to Duke or Stanford, so I'd expect Louisville to fall a slot or two max.

On the basis of their work so far. Is have Louisville a #1 seed too. However, there's a good chance they're a #2 if they go 0-3 against uconn before the tourney, even though uconn is very, very good.
I disagree. While I admit that losing @Uconn by 17 certainly is not a punishable offense by itself, Louisville really doesn't have near the "body of work" that Duke does. Duke lost to the top 2 teams, whereas Louisville lost to UConn AND Kentucky. And when you look at the wins, there is a bigger difference. Louisville's only victory against teams in the top 25 is vs. LSU at the Yum! Center. Duke has won @Kentucky, @Cal, vs. Vandy, and vs. Purdue. Louisville has only a home contest @Yum vs. UConn left, whereas Duke still has games vs. UNC and Maryland and @ND, @UNC. Both teams have their conference tourney's left, but as of now, I think it only makes sense to have Duke a #1 seed ahead of Louisville.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Sagarin has UConn over Louisville 14 points on a neutral court 17 points on a UConn court. That's exactly what happened. So you could argue that they shouldn't move. I'm sure they will, but anything beyond one spot means the voters ar paying attention.
True, but Sagarin doesn't have Louisville 4th right now, but rather 6th. Louisville may not drop in Sagarin's rating, but I think they should and will drop in the human polls.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
More significantly, what happens to Stanford? Who are the 4 #1 seeds for the tournament as of today given the losses by Louisville (not a bad loss) and Stanford (definitely a bad loss)?

Reaction Score
Right now I'd guess it would go:

1. UConn
2. Notre Dame
3. Duke- I have a hard time respecting this program, blowout losses to UConn and ND, but better top 50 wins and only losses to top 2 teams...but the way they lost to them? And at home? With some close calls against un ranked teams? Hmmm...
4. Louisville- They played UConn tougher at UConn without a starter than a healthy Duke team did at home, should not fall.
5. Stanford- gotta move down 2 spots after a loss to an unranked 13-10 team no?
6. South Carolina- have not seen much of this team, only 2 losses, will be interesting to see if they run the table
7. Baylor
8. Tennessee
9. Maryland- a team to keep an eye on
10. Penn State

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I disagree. While I admit that losing @Uconn by 17 certainly is not a punishable offense by itself, Louisville really doesn't have near the "body of work" that Duke does. Duke lost to the top 2 teams, whereas Louisville lost to UConn AND Kentucky. And when you look at the wins, there is a bigger difference. Louisville's only victory against teams in the top 25 is vs. LSU at the Yum! Center. Duke has won @Kentucky, @Cal, vs. Vandy, and vs. Purdue. Louisville has only a home contest @Yum vs. UConn left, whereas Duke still has games vs. UNC and Maryland and @ND, @UNC. Both teams have their conference tourney's left, but as of now, I think it only makes sense to have Duke a #1 seed ahead of Louisville.

But isn't Duke likely to lose perhaps 2 of its remaining games?
Be interesting…Lousiville loses two more to us, winds up with 4 losses
Even possible UTenn may creep to a #1 by default.

Anyway it doesn't matter.
There's UConn, Notre Dame, and all the rest.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Right now I'd guess it would go:

1. UConn
2. Notre Dame
3. Duke- I have a hard time respecting this program, blowout losses to UConn and ND, but better top 50 wins and only losses to top 2 teams...but the way they lost to them? And at home? With some close calls against un ranked teams? Hmmm...
4. Louisville- They played UConn tougher at UConn without a starter than a healthy Duke team did at home, should not fall.
5. Stanford- gotta move down 2 spots after a loss to an unranked 13-10 team no?
6. South Carolina- have not seen much of this team, only 2 losses, will be interesting to see if they run the table
7. Baylor
8. Tennessee
9. Maryland- a team to keep an eye on
10. Penn State

I think this about right. However, PSU lost to an unranked Iowa team this past week. I don't think they stay at 10.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Anyway it doesn't matter.
There's UConn, Notre Dame, and all the rest.

MSF, quite often I don't agree with you but on this one I do.... The NC is going to come down to UConn and ND.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Even possible UTenn may creep to a #1 by default.

I there is, or ought to be a requirement that you have to beat someone to earn a one seed.

What's their signature win of the season? An early season win against UNC, when the frosh were still wet behind the ears.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I made my post based on top coaches and LVille and Stanford have 2 losses one to UConn at UConn. LVille was competitive with UConn with Bria Smith out and UConn had Tuck out. I still think the 1 seeds are in order UConn ND LVille and Stanford. Duke is my 5th team a number 1 2 seed.

There are teams that can out talent you. There are teams with a lot of talent that struggle. There are teams that have some talent and some with a lot of talent who can out coach you. My top 4 teams have coaches who can out coach you.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Well, if any team is capable of 'creeping' it is Tenn.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I don't think this Stanford loss will be fatal if they win out.

Reaction Score
I think this about right. However, PSU lost to an unranked Iowa team this past week. I don't think they stay at 10.

Quite frankly it's hard to find a team to round out the top 10. Penn State as you said lost. #11 Arizona State lost to unranked Arizona today. #12 Oklahoma State blown out at Baylor. Former top 10 teams Kentucky and UNC no longer an option. NC State up next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom