What Do We Need For Next Season? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Do We Need For Next Season?

Reaction Score
Is anyone here really qualified to say what uconn needs...other than praying that the team has good health?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I am not at all qualified but certainly qualified enough to know we need a presence in the post. Counting on Enoch to improve that much and counting on Diarra who has not played a minute for us would be too risky.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There is 7 billion people on Earth. One of them has to be a 6'10" 235 lb. male that rebound like a machine, score at will, and defend like the 1985 Bears.

That's what we need.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
I look to the those on this board who are in to recruiting and talent evaluation to assess where we currently stand for a return to prominence. I have this nagging suspicion that even with Gilbert and Larrier this season we are not at the top of our conference standings. I get that it was a lot to lose. Durham and Diarra have been injured non factors but with next year's class added to the mix and the senior losses, can we go with what we will have and make it work?
We need Emeka Okafor, Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, Scott Burrell and Ben Gordon...

Reaction Score
UCONN Brand basketball!!!!! I have no idea what has been going on the last couple of years!

Reaction Score
Toughness. Physical and mental.

I am not going to single kids out (the one that stands out is not in our program any more, but plenty of examples). I think we need to recruit guys like Bazz and Boat that were so tough mentally and guys like KFree that were tough mentally and physically. Seems like some teams are just more athletic & strong than us. Should never happen!

Specifics
1. Juco or preferably 5th year 4/5 that can score some and rebound and defend.
2. Juco or 5th year shooter at 2/3 (mostly 2)
3. Love an athletic wing like Sid Wilson, we don't seem athletic enough.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Specifics
1. Juco or preferably 5th year 4/5 that can score some and rebound and defend.
2. Juco or 5th year shooter at 2/3 (mostly 2)
3. Love an athletic wing like Sid Wilson, we don't seem athletic enough.
Unless someone transfers or declares we only have room for 2 of those 3.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
With the majority of people using adblockers, it may be needed some day. It would like be the beginning of the end for this version of the boneyard. We've tried donations, and it has never worked.
If turning off Adblocker when visiting The 'Yard will keep the site free, I'll gladly suffer the Southern New Hampshire U banners. In fact...there...Adblocker suspended for the 'Yard.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Priorities should be as follows:
1. Grad Big Man who is a rebounder/defender. Not worried about the offensive end. This is by far most important.
2. A good recruit re-class guy. Position doesn't matter. Ideally Shittu, but whomever they like and will commit.
3. JUCO shooter.

Obviously only room for 2 of these, so if they don't get a big, I'd only fill one of those other spots. As confident that we are that Adams/Larrier are gonna go pro, it's not given. I don't want us to hamstring ourselves for the 2018 class recruiting. We need at least 1-2 solid players from that class.

Big man who can rebound and protect the rim is so important. I'm not counting on Diarra at all, but I hope he can be the Jeff Adrien type who can clean the glass and get everyone fired up. Durham doesn't look like much of a rebounder but hopefully he improves/gets healthy.

Reaction Score
I, for one, am opposed to the grad transfers at this point. They take minutes from young developing players. If Facey had been playing last year instead of Sean Miller we may not have had our amazing run to the round of 32, but we might not have lost to NE and Wagner, either. Same goes for Gibbs taking minutes from JA last year.

The whole 1 year hit and run player isn't our style. If your entire program is built on 5 star one-and-dones that's one thing. And even that backfires every few years. But that's never been UConn's style.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I, for one, am opposed to the grad transfers at this point. They take minutes from young developing players. If Facey had been playing last year instead of Sean Miller we may not have had our amazing run to the round of 32, but we might not have lost to NE and Wagner, either. Same goes for Gibbs taking minutes from JA last year.

The whole 1 year hit and run player isn't our style. If your entire program is built on 5 star one-and-dones that's one thing. And even that backfires every few years. But that's never been UConn's style.
Last yr they needed bodies. If facey was capable, he would have played. This would be a bit of a different story. The team should be loaded next yr. The back court and wing positions will be among the best in the country. If Jackson gets minutes at the 4 with Durham, Diarra (hopefully) and Larrier (to an extent) that leaves one GLARING weakness. The 5. Enoch has not looked good. He's looked downright bad. Getting someone who can rebound and play defense and protect the rim without fouling would be HUGE. Durham will play some 5 but even he is a bit of a question mark.

In general, I agree. I'm not a huge fan of grad transfers. Although, you'd be complaining if they didn't have the grad transfers last yr because we wouldn't have made the NCAA tourney. So some good did come of it. We also won the conference tournament...so yeah.

In this instance getting a serviceable big man will be just what we need without taking up a scholly for multiple years. I see no downside.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Durham doesn't look like much of a rebounder but hopefully he improves/gets healthy.
In the 10 games before his most recent injury his per-possession rebounding numbers were outstanding.

Reaction Score
I think next year will be tough, and expectations should be tempered, regardless of who (if anyone) fills those last scholarships. There are way too many question marks due to the injuries to Larrier, Diarra, Durham, and Gilbert. In the case of Gilbert and Larrier, there's no guarantee that they will return at 100%. As far as Diarra and Durham, they are mysteries even if healthy (which is a roll of the dice).
I, for one, really like the grad transfer option, because you take in a known quantity, and don't tie up a scholarship for four years. That's a much better option than getting a four year project or another guy who is perennially injured. UConn would be in a different position today if they filled those last two scholarships with productive grad transfers instead of leaving them open.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
In the 10 games before his most recent injury his per-possession rebounding numbers were outstanding.
Good to know. Just needs to put on some muscle and it'll all take care of itself.

Reaction Score
I look to the those on this board who are in to recruiting and talent evaluation to assess where we currently stand for a return to prominence. I have this nagging suspicion that even with Gilbert and Larrier this season we are not at the top of our conference standings. I get that it was a lot to lose. Durham and Diarra have been injured non factors but with next year's class added to the mix and the senior losses, can we go with what we will have and make it work?
A 6'11" 260 lb. big guy with great hands who is combination of Rodman on the boards, plays lock down D, blocks shots, can finish around the rim, a great passer on the break and can step outside and make 3's. We would only have him for 1 season though.:)

Reaction Score
This is my top 5 things we need for next season:

1) fix the roof
2) recruit some 5 star cheerleaders
3) gets some better friggin walk-ons
4)sign Shaq's clone
5)free wings if we score more than 60 pts a game.

actually, better looking cheerleaders should be priority #1

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
We need a savior. A pale, thin boy who is currently wandering the Nebraskan wilderness.

Reaction Score
Can we borrow some players from the Geno's gangs next year?

Really? I know as soon as everyone saw this they took a deep breath waiting of mau to reply but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, you most certainly were just humoring us!
HA HA :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom