What Do We Need For Next Season? | The Boneyard

What Do We Need For Next Season?

Reaction Score
I look to the those on this board who are in to recruiting and talent evaluation to assess where we currently stand for a return to prominence. I have this nagging suspicion that even with Gilbert and Larrier this season we are not at the top of our conference standings. I get that it was a lot to lose. Durham and Diarra have been injured non factors but with next year's class added to the mix and the senior losses, can we go with what we will have and make it work?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
More bandwidth and a CPU upgrade. The better the team is the more it cost me. Worth it.
I know you're a martyr (takes one to know one) but I honestly believe that if you asked people to contribute, there are many people in these forums who would love to help. And @August_West will tell you how to handle the tax forms.

Reaction Score
We need a grad big man.

Don't need a wink of offense we're used to that by now.

He needs to be able to defend moderately well, catch a pass down low and kick it out 3x a game, REBOUND and pass to our athletes at guard to get the ball going in transition.

That is all.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
We need a grad big man.

Don't need a wink of offense we're used to that by now.

He needs to be able to defend moderately well, catch a pass down low and kick it out 3x a game, REBOUND and pass to our athletes at guard to get the ball going in transition.

That is all.

A big with hands that can catch the ball

Reaction Score
I look to the those on this board who are in to recruiting and talent evaluation to assess where we currently stand for a return to prominence. I have this nagging suspicion that even with Gilbert and Larrier this season we are not at the top of our conference standings. I get that it was a lot to lose. Durham and Diarra have been injured non factors but with next year's class added to the mix and the senior losses, can we go with what we will have and make it work?
Fix Gampel's roof its pathetic that will help the program. There I said it :)

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I know you're a martyr (takes one to know one) but I honestly believe that if you asked people to contribute, there are many people in these forums who would love to help. And @August_West will tell you how to handle the tax forms.

With the majority of people using adblockers, it may be needed some day. It would like be the beginning of the end for this version of the boneyard. We've tried donations, and it has never worked.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
With the majority of people using adblockers, it may be needed some day. It would like be the beginning of the end for this version of the boneyard. We've tried donations, and it has never worked.
It will only work when you post a heading in every forum that this site will be closing in two weeks unless x amount of funding is contributed. That will get some people's attention and some will contribute.

Others will wait to see if it's a bluff or if they can skate off of other posters. It's a human trait to take advantage of other peoples funding whenever possible. You can even do an informal study and determine if the liberal or conservative members are more likely to contribute versus taking advantage of the situation. I'd bet there is no difference.

Anyways if not enough monies come in, shut the site down except to allow posters to contribute. Best time to do this is September - October. Don't expect any monies from me. This is my contribution towards this effort.:cool:

Reaction Score
Clemson is playing Florida State right now and the announcer stated that one hadn't been to the NCAA tourney in 4 years and the other 5 years. Maybe that is where we are headed? I don't say this to to provoke but our conference is not as good as theirs and we don't have the opportunity to play ranked teams in conference the way they do year in and out. So maybe that becomes the new normal. Hard to take for a program with 4 titles but the talent level we have had overall has not been enough. Many of you possibly believe that the players we've been getting are good enough and it's the coaching? I honestly don't know at this point but I am bothered on Super Bowl Sunday with a team I dislike about to win and my hoop season in the toilet. Other than that I am on the right side of the grass, so that's a plus.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Clemson is playing Florida State right now and the announcer stated that one hadn't been to the NCAA tourney in 4 years and the other 5 years. Maybe that is where we are headed? I don't say this to to provoke but our conference is not as good as theirs and we don't have the opportunity to play ranked teams in conference the way they do year in and out. So maybe that becomes the new normal. Hard to take for a program with 4 titles but the talent level we have had overall has not been enough. Many of you possibly believe that the players we've been getting are good enough and it's the coaching? I honestly don't know at this point but I am bothered on Super Bowl Sunday with a team I dislike about to win and my hoop season in the toilet. Other than that I am on the right side of the grass, so that's a plus.
getting purvis was supposed to work out for us and it didn't. him leaving next year should be a plus for us as we can have Gilbert and Adams at the 1 & 2. Not having a solid ball handler or another true pg has killed us as has Brimah and Enoch not progressing. We need another big either a transfer or another freshman and wing imo as we have Adams Gilbert and MAl at the 1 & 2 as well as Vital. We will be talented but young as we have no seniors next year. Everything rides on chemistry, leadership, health, and if they put the time in during the off season

Reaction Score
After watching a fair amount of hoops over the past month the one thing we lack IMO and really need, other than health and a big man, is more quick athletes with a solid BB IQ. The way we are built today makes it difficult to run an effective up tempo offense. We aren't exactly slow, but we lack the quickness and athleticism to compete with teams that are built on speed, which is a majority of the top 15 teams. Now I know Gilbert is quick, but not sure about Larrier or the incoming recruits. However, I can't remember anyone mentioning their quickness. It just seems that between Enoch, Jackson, Vital and Durham there is a real lack of the quickness you see in other teams. And needing a solid BB IQ speaks for itself.

Reaction Score
Larrier is the fastest guy on the team and Gilbert is very quick. What we need is toughness both mental and physical. Having had a number of shoulder operations I expect Gilbert to be back 100%. Coming back from knee surgery often takes a while mentally to trust it. I hope Larrier gets over the mental barrier quick. If Durham is going to be a player we will find out next year. With a season under his belt knowing that his knees were fine hopefully he goes full out in the weight room and comes back ready to play. Enoch needs to toughen up but I don't know if it's going to happen. Mamadou is the biggest question in my mind as to whether he will be able to come back. If he can then I think he can bring a toughness that we need.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Team needs to lose the losing mentality.

This team is okay getting clubbed.

UConn lacks a winning culture to pass down from upperclassmen to lower classmen.

System needs an external shock to get it back.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

IMHO, I heavily disagree with this - you don't know that to be true and neither do I
I do think that due to some circumstances beyond their control, it MAY be easier to be less dejected with getting beat by a Cinci at this time BUT I would never say they are OK with getting clubbed

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

IMHO, I heavily disagree with this - you don't know that to be true and neither do I
I do think that due to some circumstances beyond their control, it MAY be easier to be less dejected with getting beat by a Cinci at this time BUT I would never say they are OK with getting clubbed

They exhibit the same behavior game after game of letting teams go on runs in several different forms:

1.Let a team get off to a fast start and UConn plays behind all game.
2. Let a team go on a run to negate a lead UConn built up.
3. Let a team go on a run to make a close game a foregone conclusion.

They're in a fog for all the reasons discussed on the board. Bottom line is the players exhibit the same behaviors letting games get out of control- lazy passes, poor ball handling, fumbling passes, missed layups, not closing out on defense and getting beat on transition.

They're not sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Coming back from knee surgery often takes a while mentally to trust it. I hope Larrier gets over the mental barrier quick. If Durham is going to be a player we will find out next year. With a season under his belt knowing that his knees were fine hopefully he goes full out in the weight room and comes back ready to play.

Having guided a number of athletes through ACL reconstruction, I can tell you that it's not just trust. After the surgery there's about a season of altered response times from the muscles, and a lack of explosiveness off of the reconstructed knee that comes back usually in the second season after surgery. Even if the graft and reconstruction are perfect the knee doesn't feel "normal" until 18 months or so, even though 8 months is typical for return to sports. It's not just a matter of trust, it's also a matter of biology.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If you set up a Paypal or Patreon recurring, monthly donation button, I'd happily chip in my $3.

Reaction Score
The thing that bothers me about the KO quotes postgame was him saying stuff like 'if we only wanted it more, tried harder and were tougher" I'm paraphrasing here. I think that these kids are giving it their all honestly. I do buy into the BBIQ stuff that has been talked about here.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
If you set up a Paypal or Patreon recurring, monthly donation button, I'd happily chip in my $3.

Thanks, but there's enough to pay the bills, with a sufficient rainy day fund to get through the slow summer months.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
More bandwidth and a CPU upgrade. The better the team is, the more it cost. Worth it.

What about the large swath of posters who like to piss and moan? For them, 2016 is the Dream Season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom