What do we have on this roster? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What do we have on this roster?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How? People can't tell the difference between a good player and a bad player. People also can't tell the different between a bad win and a good loss. Just because we hit a bunch of 3s and win doesn't mean our team is improving or just because someones shot isn't going in doesn't mean they are having a bad game.
What I mean is that that aspect is not unique to our fan base, and it's a gross over-generalization imo. Being spoiled is more unique to us. It wasn't that way when I first started following UConn, but the success we've had since then is still among the very best as compared with any other programs in the country, and I think that has a more direct impact on the lack of patience and passion among our fanbase when we are not having good seasons.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
right. Thats my point. This years team IS better.

yet we sit at 10-8

just like last year.

What kind of logic is this so because our records are the same you think the difference is coaching?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What I mean is that that aspect is not unique to our fan base, and it's a gross over-generalization imo. Being spoiled is more unique to us. It wasn't that way when I first started following UConn, but the success we've had since then is still among the very best as compared with any other programs in the country, and I think that has a more direct impact on the lack of patience and passion among our fanbase when we are not having good seasons.

The women’s basketball success has had a huge negative impact on the sanity of the fanbase.

Reaction Score
This roster is much improved over last year and it's showing. We are still losing but not getting 20-30 pieced. Keep in mind that every single returning player has/had to learn a new system- Hurley ball. They had to break bad habits, etc. and learn the Hurley way. You can't just do this in a half of a season. Put this team under Ollie again this year and you probably have the same result... maybe better but you'd still have the same lousy Ollie offense that these players are so used to.

All in all, glad to have Hurley. Players will get better. Better players will come to UConn. Fire will be there.

Reaction Score
The women’s basketball success has had a huge negative impact on the sanity of the fanbase.
Women's basketball, Yankees, Giants Superbowls, Patriots Superbowls, red Sox championships, etc. These fan bases all overlap and leave us with a bunch of spoiled little brats.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
This is so dumb. We are clearly not as bad as last season. We’re still not good, but this is the classic boneyard overreaction after losing a game.

You’d think after the last couple years people would have thicker skin. The roster didn’t change enough to expect them to be a tournament team right away. It’s boring and frustrating, but it’s a rebuild that is actually happening, unlike the perpetual recycling of garbage that the football team has put on.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah so imagine how bad it would've been if Ollie was still here.

I dunno.

Hard to say. This team is worse defensively.

Definitely better offensively though.

Reaction Score
We land Hurley, get on a sugar high and got a little far out over our skis. We thought he could weave a magic spell and turn crappola into gold. Wrong. Blaming the fans for this is nuts.
Rick Barnes of Tennessee is in his 4th year. #1. 15-19. #2. 16-16. #3 26-9. #4. 3 in country presently. He’s been at it a long time with spotty success in his career in numerous jobs and the SEC is no powerhouse of basketball though better than where we reside. We now know to believe what our eyes have been telling us about these players all along.
Yes they can be competitive at times as we’ve seen in spots but our players are flat out not good enough. Not good enough even if coached by Calhoun, Coach K, Red Auerbach and Adolph Rupp combined. Not good enough.

polycom

Reaction Score
Women's basketball, Yankees, Giants Superbowls, Patriots Superbowls, red Sox championships, etc. These fan bases all overlap and leave us with a bunch of spoiled little brats.

It's crazy how people can watch so much sports and not understand any of it.

Reaction Score
I dunno.

Hard to say. This team is worse defensively.

Definitely better offensively though.
Yeah he probably would have thrown them in a zone again because he didn't want to spend time teaching man to man defense anymore. I'd rather we take our lumps now than when Hurley has a roster full of his guys.

August_West

Reaction Score
I suggest you all take a look at the preseason prediction thread.

There werent many people who didnt have us over 20 wins.

Almost none.

I was one of them who had us well under 20. Go look it up. So none of this has anything to do with my expectations for this season.

My expectations were simply to get better. Its a low bar. We are having trouble crossing it.

And yes this group of players is obviously just not up to the task unfortunately. But everyone believed in the Hurley magic bullet and it aint there and are now walking it back.

Reaction Score
It's brutal that we've reached a point where overanalyzing the obvious makes up so many of the posts on here. You can't win at this level with a frontcourt like ours. Full stop. It may not feel like it, but we're actually playing better than last year. Bring in another quality big to go with Akok and next year's "better" will equate to more W's.

Reaction Score
Objectively we are not better than last year. Loved the Cuse win. Fun game against Cincy. Judging by our wins and losses we are not better. But the season is not over!

August_West

Reaction Score
Yeah he probably would have thrown them in a zone again because he didn't want to spend time teaching man to man defense anymore. I'd rather we take our lumps now than when Hurley has a roster full of his guys.

Thats a fair assessment that I happen to agree with.

Reaction Score
right. Thats my point. This years team IS better.

yet we sit at 10-8

just like last year.
Every bit of empirical evidence says this team is better than last years beyond both being 10-8.

I get being mad that we lost to USF and Tulsa, but last year we went to OT against Columbia and Stony Brook. This year we beat those type of teams by 20-30. We were 171st in ORtg and 178th in DRtg last year. We’re 96th in both this year. If you can’t look beyond the 10-8 record then you’re just trying to complain. If they keep on improving L’s will become W’s in due time.

August_West

Reaction Score
Not good enough even if coached by Calhoun

I dunno.

JC would have us 13 wins or above at this point by sheer will and genius. But thats JC and an unfair comparison.
JC had teams quit, but not until Feb.

polycom

Reaction Score
Objectively we are not better than last year. Loved the Cuse win. Fun game against Cincy. Judging by our wins and losses we are not better. But the season is not over!

Based on what objectives?

Reaction Score
I suggest you all take a look at the preseason prediction thread.

There werent many people who didnt have us over 20 wins.

Almost none.

I was one of them who had us well under 20. Go look it up. So none of this has anything to do with my expectations for this season.

My expectations were simply to get better. Its a low bar. We are having trouble crossing it.

And yes this group of players is obviously just not up to the task unfortunately. But everyone believed in the Hurley magic bullet and it aint there and are now walking it back.
Last couple years with KO weren’t we preseason top 20 SI? Lots of experts get fooled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom