What do we have on this roster? | The Boneyard

What do we have on this roster?

Reaction Score
2 pretty good but not great guards who are both better at the point than on the wing
1 streak shooter who plays hard but is limited athletically and skill-wise
1 lanky athletic frontcourt player who is no threat offensively at this point,
and, what?

We have exactly zero frontcourt players who concern anyone offensively, and only one (Wilson) who is athletic enough to disrupt anyone defensively.

People are quick to point out that the addition of Gilbert is an improvement, and it is. But last year we had a player on the wing that, for all his flaws, was a threat to actually score. We are lacking that this year.

And people want to pretend that we'd have a better record under the prior regime?

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
People weren't ready for a rebuild. We have a terrible fan base that doesn't know anything about sports.

I think its just The Boneyard who can take credit for this.

Very little friendship here

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
People weren't ready for a rebuild. We have a terrible fan base that doesn't know anything about sports.

This is the biggest issue, we have a low college sports IQ fan base that isn't exactly passionate about sports but thinks their sports teams should be awesome just because there were awesome before not understanding the work that went into it.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
we have WAY more this year.

Grads
Yakwe/Smith > Onurah/Anderson

We had ZERO front court last year. Same front court really except they were all freshmen and Cobb was either fat and/or suspended.

So just by nature that same frontcourt of frosh with another year of experience under their belt under the tutelage of someone who is supposedly a motivator should empirically improve, no? Isnt that the way College hoops works? "The best thing about Freshmen is they become Sophmores" and Cobb shed weight.

Junior Vital vs. Soph Vital supposed to be better, right? Hurley going to reign him in.

Jalen is no worse and probably better than last year.

And then we subtract Larrier and add Gilbert.

And dont try to tell me there was any point last season where you wouldve said "Jeez if I unfortunately HAD to lose one or the other, Im thankful we lost Alterique instead of Terry".

No one in their right mind would say that.

It is no stretch to say that in comparing apples to apples we are underachieving.

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
This is the biggest issue, we have a low college sports IQ fan base that isn't exactly passionate about sports but thinks their sports teams should be awesome just because there were awesome before not understanding the work that went into it.

sounds like those rotten Boston/New England fans to me

Reaction Score

Grads

We had ZERO front court last year. Same front court really except they were all freshmen and Cobb was either fat and/or suspended.

So just by nature that same frontcourt of frosh with another year of experience under their belt under the tutelage of someone who is supposedly a motivator should empirically improve, no? Isnt that the way College hoops works? "The best thing about Freshmen is they become Sophmores" and Cobb shed weight.

Junior Vital vs. Soph Vital supposed to be better, right? Hurley going to reign him in.

And dont try to tell me there was any point last season where you wouldve said "Jeez if I unfortunately HAD to lose one or the other, Im thankful we lost Alterique instead of Terry".

It is no stretch to say that in comparing apples to apples we are underachieving.
Yeah you're who I'm talking about

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Grads

I wish Larrier were here. I’d love to watch him in Tulsa, Wyoming stare at his teammates trying to figure out where it all went so wrong.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Having Larrier on this year's team would have helped with freeing up JA+AG on offense, but defense would still be a concern. Since our perimeter defenders get beat, it seems that rim protection is badly needed. Hopefully Akok helps with that, but we badly need more athletic rim protection from the 4/5 .

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I think "spoiled" is more accurate than "terrible" or "low college sports IQ" fan base.

How? People can't tell the difference between a good player and a bad player. People also can't tell the different between a bad win and a good loss. Just because we hit a bunch of 3s and win doesn't mean our team is improving or just because someones shot isn't going in doesn't mean they are having a bad game.

August_West

Reaction Score
Yeah you're who I'm talking about

Get over yourself.

Recruit/Rebuild and Current game coaching evals. are two different things.

It seems you have a hard time grasping that.

Let me ask you a question.

On paper. Just on paper. Remove KO from your dome, Hurley too. Which team is more promising. This year or last year?

Reaction Score
Most nights, we get nothing from SF, PF, and C on either end. Gilbert is better than Larrier, but we get no scoring from the frontcourt now, and that is a big problem.

Going from 179th to 86th in the country (Kenpom) is obviously a jump, but still a far cry from where we need to be. But there's just nothing to work with up front. We need better players. Next year will be a good start in that direction.

There's no reason to debate the coaching situation. It is what it is and even if you believed in KO, good recruits weren't going to commit to play for him anymore. We were lucky to get Akinjo to commit, but we missed on literally every one of our main targets last year (Shittu, Carey, Mathis, Nembhard, Reddish, Mucius, Duke, Reeves, Ayala), and 3 top 100 kids transferred out the year before. He had to go.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Most nights, we get nothing from SF, PF, and C on either end. Gilbert is better than Larrier, but we get no scoring from the frontcourt now, and that is a big problem.

Going from 179th to 86th in the country (Kenpom) is obviously a jump, but still a far cry from where we need to be. But there's just nothing to work with up front. We need better players. Next year will be a good start in that direction.

There's no reason to debate the coaching situation. It is what it is and even if you believed in KO, good recruits weren't going to commit to play for him anymore. We were lucky to get Akinjo to commit, but we missed on literally every one of our main targets last year (Shittu, Carey, Mathis, Nembhard, Reddish, Mucius, Duke, Reeves, Ayala), and 3 top 100 kids transferred out the year before. He had to go.
Couldn’t have said it any better

Reaction Score
Why are you counting someone that is out for the year? Is it at all interesting to you that the wheels came off when Yakwe got hurt? Is that any indication of how bad the front court is?

My point with Gilbert v. Larrier is that Gilbert and Adams are not at all complimentary to each other. They both do the same thing, so one has to be out of position. Not an issue with Larrier. Do we have a front court player who even approaches his skill level, maddening as it was to watch him play? No. Not close.

Smith isn't giving us much more than Anderson did. Neither one shoots it well. Anderson was stronger, Smith a bit quicker.

The room for improvement of limited players is small.

Your recency bias is showing, by the way. This team isn't going to overtime against Columbia and Monmouth.

Reaction Score

Grads

Yeah Yawke really tore it up.

August_West

Reaction Score
Your recency bias is showing, by the way. This team isn't going to overtime against Columbia and Monmouth.

or winning vs UCF and USF

August_West

Reaction Score
Yeah Yawke really tore it up.

well which is it? Yawke so bad that Onurah a better option like you opine.

Or that Yakwe such a linchpin of the squad that the wheels fell off when injured like Excalibur posits.

I'll let you two hash it out.

confusing.

pretty divergent takes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How? People can't tell the difference between a good player and a bad player. People also can't tell the different between a bad win and a good loss. Just because we hit a bunch of 3s and win doesn't mean our team is improving or just because someones shot isn't going in doesn't mean they are having a bad game.

It’s a fanbase that has little context. They watch UConn and everything they see is through that limited scope because most don’t follow sports closely otherwise.

It’s how you ended up with people thinking the football team made a big step forward by only losing to USF by 8. They saw USF’s record and they saw the score but they couldn’t see that USF actually sucked and they happened to backdoor a few scores when USF stopped playing.

Reaction Score
Get over yourself.

Recruit/Rebuild and Current game coaching evals. are two different things.

It seems you have a hard time grasping that.

Let me ask you a question.

On paper. Just on paper. Remove KO from your dome, Hurley too. Which team is more promising. This year or last year?
This team. And this team is better than last year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom