What Could Happen to P5 Conferences after Coronavirus Cases Settle | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What Could Happen to P5 Conferences after Coronavirus Cases Settle

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Will Louisville Athletics Run Out of Cash?

Anticipating a $2.1 million revenue shortfall created by the novel coronavirus, University of Louisville athletic director Vince Tyra announced Wednesday that the school’s head coaches in 21 sports as well as a dozen senior athletic administrators have agreed to a 10% salary reduction for the 2020-21 academic year.

Tyra said the athletic department is also studying other moves to reduce costs and consolidate expenses because of reduced revenue from the cancellation of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament and uncertainty about the start of the 2020 football season.

And after all the costs they dumped on the City of Louisville's books.

TJT

Reaction Score
With the $17M exit fee that UConn just paid the AAC, the $3.5M entry fee to join the Big East, and the agreed to large Big East future exit fees [$30 million exit fee if it leaves the Big East during its first six years of membership. The fee would eventually drop to $15 million and later $10 million.], don't expect any other conference move for a very long time.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Once the ACC decided it was a football conference - UConn had no shot at all, unfortunately
The football powers such a BC saw to that
Does BC do anything well except for hockey?
I'm over 60 and I can't remember anything except one hail mary pass from a QB who couldn't play pro football

Reaction Score
BC did have a couple of good years under QB Matt Ryan....they had a 11 win season beating Michigan State in the bowl.

Reaction Score
Just another blogger rehashing rumors...dressed up a little with pros-cons...

The fact that he did not mention the media contract, Swofford's statements, the 80% of the media contract from football money, etc...means that it was a typical "let's type out a CR article quickly".

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If you are so tenacious...please let me know, by any knowledgable source with link...that FSU and Clemson led the charge to keep out UConn.
An ACC source said that the conference's strong basketball schools (Duke, North Carolina, Wake Forest and Virginia) supported UConn. There was reportedly a fear that the conference's strong football schools (Florida State, Virginia Tech, Clemson) could seek another conference home if the ACC did not bolster its football side.

You're welcome.

Reaction Score

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
What's the UConn take on this article?

My first take is that it's obviously old. Mostly fair, though there was a mention of CT being perceived as a pro-sports market which is not a fact. Had it been written today, the Louisville cons (and ex-cons) list would be a lot longer. Bottom line, the ACC chose to play defense against the Big XII and got into bed with a lowly rated school that plays dirty and got caught. No shock that FSU would support Louisville given the rap sheet FSU has. Jameis Winston alone fills up a page.

Reaction Score
You may be right about the Big 12...

From the ever present anonymous source:

"The ACC also considered Connecticut and Cincinnati for membership. However, sources told ESPN that the league wanted Louisville only because there is a sense among league presidents that the ACC can add more schools at a later date if the conference loses any other current members."

CL82

Reaction Score
Oh...yeah...the old unnamed source...ACC source?

Sure...
Lol, you complained about the other posters link because it wasn’t an accredited reporter. The link I posted was from the largest newspaper in the state, but you think the reporter just made stuff up.

Shrug ...

Reaction Score
Lol, you complained about the other posters link because it wasn’t an accredited reporter. The link I posted was from the largest newspaper in the state, but you think the reporter just made stuff up.

Shrug ...

Reporters get all sorts of "thoughts" from people who say that they are "insiders"...kind of like some board insiders. When it a named quotable person, then you pay attention.

Interviews like this with Clemson's AD...Terry Don Phillips

"For example, in this latest contract with ESPN, 80% of it is generated by football. As good as basketball has been in the ACC, it is very evident just through this contract that football has to be very, very relevant."

Or Swofford interviews...

"Swofford estimated that football drives 70-80 percent of rights fees and acknowledged that more national success in that sport would have meant additional revenue."

"Swofford said the increased revenue from ESPN coincides with what ACC officials projected when they voted to accept Pitt and Syracuse."

And sure...FSU fans wanted football...and it was a very public discussion....from the FSU writer on back Bleacher Report ...

In the ACC, there is a legitimate divide, or battle lines drawn if you will. North Carolina and Duke sit on one end of the spectrum while Florida State, Clemson and Virginia Tech fall opposite of them. That line cuts through the sand at "what's most important" for a university community to strive for greatness, in the athletic realm.

For Florida State, Clemson and Virginia Tech the answer is simple, football is where they have constructed their identity and how they are building their brand. On the UNC and Duke side, they have opted to tie themselves to basketball.

Well, in the wake of expansion and the numbers piling up with television, we have a clear right and wrong. A winner and a loser of sorts. A right way and a wrong way.

CL82

Reaction Score
Reporters get all sorts of "thoughts" from people who say that they are "insiders"...kind of like some board insiders. When it a named quotable person, then you pay attention.

Interviews like this with Clemson's AD...Terry Don Phillips

"For example, in this latest contract with ESPN, 80% of it is generated by football. As good as basketball has been in the ACC, it is very evident just through this contract that football has to be very, very relevant."

Or Swofford interviews...

"Swofford estimated that football drives 70-80 percent of rights fees and acknowledged that more national success in that sport would have meant additional revenue."

"Swofford said the increased revenue from ESPN coincides with what ACC officials projected when they voted to accept Pitt and Syracuse."

And sure...FSU fans wanted football...and it was a very public discussion....from the FSU writer on back Bleacher Report ...

In the ACC, there is a legitimate divide, or battle lines drawn if you will. North Carolina and Duke sit on one end of the spectrum while Florida State, Clemson and Virginia Tech fall opposite of them. That line cuts through the sand at "what's most important" for a university community to strive for greatness, in the athletic realm.

For Florida State, Clemson and Virginia Tech the answer is simple, football is where they have constructed their identity and how they are building their brand. On the UNC and Duke side, they have opted to tie themselves to basketball.

Well, in the wake of expansion and the numbers piling up with television, we have a clear right and wrong. A winner and a loser of sorts. A right way and a wrong way.

So to recap, you believe that a reporter from the state's largest newspaper with over three decades of experience got it wrong and your authority is a Bleacher Report article.

Okay then.

Reaction Score
The
So to recap, you believe that a reporter from the state's largest newspaper with over three decades of experience got it wrong and your authority is a Bleacher Report article.

Okay then.

Nope...that Bleacher Report linked to a direct interview with the Clemson AD....and Swofford's declarations about the football driving the ACC are easily found. I have posted them before.

As far as the angst between football and basketball factions, you'll never see that attributed to a named source...It was fodder with the boards and twitterati, as I recently discussed with Buddy.

Michael Felder has been covering the ACC specifically, as a writer, podcaster, for 12 years and has decent insights into the fans.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
The

Nope...that Bleacher Report linked to a direct interview with the Clemson AD....and Swofford's declarations about the football driving the ACC are easily found. I have posted them before.

As far as the angst between football and basketball factions, you'll never see that attributed to a named source...It was fodder with the boards and twitterati.

Michael Felder has been covering the ACC specifically, as a writer, podcaster, for 12 years and has decent insights into the fans.
Uh, yeah I think I'll stick with the reporter with 30 years of experience at the largest state newspaper rather than a Bleacher Report "article" even if it is buttressed with a podcaster.

Here's the thing though, you asked for a credible source and they were posted here. Why the denial?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
[
Uh, yeah I think I'll stick with the reporter with 30 years of experience at the largest state newspaper rather than a Bleacher Report "article" even if it is buttressed with a podcaster.

Here's the thing though, you asked for a credible source and they were posted here. Why the denial?

The source is an unnamed source....to determine the actual validity of something..you have to know from who it comes. In the Bleacher article the source is named...the interview is linked.

A "source" can be giving his opinion, be transferring hear say...

When I took testimony in cases, my decisions were based on points of law and found facts. I could not use provided information that was hear say since it did not carry the weight of evidence.

Info like the following is sourced...

“The world is a much different place now in that regard,” Swofford said. “For decades, as a conference, we made more headlines in basketball and more money in basketball, and there was nothing inherently wrong with that. Obviously, basketball remains a huge part of our success and identity today.

“But for various reasons, that picture has changed significantly. We’ve been through realignment and expansion multiple times, with football a major factor in that. We have an ACC football championship game now. We have a College Football Playoff. I think it’s fair to say that, without significant upgrades in football over the years, the ACC would not be where it is today.”

I think the linked article is a pretty good coverage of the ACC expansion over the years...

CL82

Reaction Score
[

The source is an unnamed source....to determine the actual validity of something..you have to know from who it comes. In the Bleacher article the source is named...the interview is linked.

A "source" can be giving his opinion, be transferring hear say...

When I took testimony in cases, my decisions were based on points of law and found facts. I could not use provided information that was hear say since it did not carry the weight of evidence.

Info like the following is sourced...

“The world is a much different place now in that regard,” Swofford said. “For decades, as a conference, we made more headlines in basketball and more money in basketball, and there was nothing inherently wrong with that. Obviously, basketball remains a huge part of our success and identity today.

“But for various reasons, that picture has changed significantly. We’ve been through realignment and expansion multiple times, with football a major factor in that. We have an ACC football championship game now. We have a College Football Playoff. I think it’s fair to say that, without significant upgrades in football over the years, the ACC would not be where it is today.”

I think the linked article is a pretty good coverage of the ACC expansion over the years...

Lol, so the rules of evidence Is now the standard for fan forum posts? Or is it only for sports articles? You asked for an authoritative source, and you got one. It was an article from the largest state newspaper written by a journalist with over 30 years experience. The fact that you’re struggling so hard to discount it seems a little disingenuous.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
But the new AAC media contract is so good!! Contraction begins.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Sky is falling...in some places.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But the new AAC media contract is so good!! Contraction begins.

And Cincy is turning into a decent soccer town with their MLS expansion team. That stinks for the students.

In one of the Tweest after, I did agree with tge guy who noted that some of the financial pain can be lseesed by cutting simpl things, like multi-million dollar caoches salaries for teams who are barley .500 and having students the night before a game stay on-campus instead of a hotel, regular countrtops in the athlete's ding area instead of imported Italian marble, etc.

Reaction Score
I think that there will be a push for non revenue sports to go more local conferences. And pretty much nobody will notice.

Reaction Score
Lol, so the rules of evidence Is now the standard for fan forum posts? Or is it only for sports articles? You asked for an authoritative source, and you got one. It was an article from the largest state newspaper written by a journalist with over 30 years experience. The fact that you’re struggling so hard to discount it seems a little disingenuous.

Look...you just want to be contentious...all I have stated, and restated is that information has validity....and hearsay is not as valid as a quoted source. You disagree?

CL82

Reaction Score
Look...you just want to be contentious...all I have stated, and restated is that information has validity....and hearsay is not as valid as a quoted source. You disagree?
Not contentious in the least. We are just discussing your initial premise that the fact FSU and Clemson lobbied for Louisville in lieu of Connecticut was “an Internet rumor.” You asked for sources to the contrary. Another poster put one up and you discounted it because it wasn’t a newspaper. I gave you the source from the state's largest newspaper and a reporter for over 30 years experience and you are struggling to try to discount it. I have to laugh and say it’s okay to admit that you are wrong, and just move on.

The thin branch you are now clinging to now is that the language in the article would not be admissible in court under the hearsay rule, I shake my head and laugh because that not really an applicable standard for either a newspaper or a fan forum. But probably the most entertaining point is that the article would, in fact, be admissible for the purpose of disproving your original statement, that FSU is lobbying against UConn was “mere Internet rumor.” Isn’t that right “judge?”

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom