What Could Happen to P5 Conferences after Coronavirus Cases Settle | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Could Happen to P5 Conferences after Coronavirus Cases Settle

Reaction Score
Fair enough....hate is often not rational.

I hate Ohio State...and not for any rational reason...

Reaction Score
Fair enough....hate is often not rational.

I hate Ohio State...and not for any rational reason...
Just one more thing. When UConn was first considered for membership in the ACC, the football program was on an upward trajectory. Pasqualoni's team beat Louisville. Active lobbying against UConn by BC, FSU, later Cuse did the damage. Hard to fathom that PItt and Cuse are not equal to UConn in what it could have brought to the conference. I don't keep rehashing this over and over, but being locked up at home is just fraying nerves even more.

Reaction Score
Views are different from the inside than from outside....

But first, I will acknowledge my affinity to Louisville.

...FSU played all sports (except football) in the Metro with Louisville from 1976 to 1992. A lot of shared sports history...my wife and I had our first date, 40 years ago to a Louisville/FSU game.

UConn did beat Louisville, and was also beaten 26-0 by Louisville in 2012...

And, in their often cited BCS year of 2010, UConn was the 8-5 three way co champ of the conference along with Pitt and WVU.

...and Louisville was champ in 2012.

And, yep, I am also bored and would rather go back and forth with Buddy than watch Tiger King.

Reaction Score
Views are different from the inside than from outside....

But first, I will acknowledge my affinity to Louisville.

...FSU played all sports (except football) in the Metro with Louisville from 1976 to 1992. A lot of shared sports history...my wife and I had our first date, 40 years ago to a Louisville/FSU game.

UConn did beat Louisville, and was also beaten 26-0 by Louisville in 2012...

And, in their often cited BCS year of 2010, UConn was the 8-5 three way co champ of the conference along with Pitt and WVU.

...and Louisville was champ in 2012.

And, yep, I am also bored and would rather go back and forth with Buddy than watch Tiger King.
Good news! The girl from FSU lost on jeopardy tonight big time! Unfortunately, the other two contestants were from Florida and Yale and not from Louisville! Life is good!

Reaction Score
Good news! The girl from FSU lost on jeopardy tonight big time! Unfortunately, the other two contestants were from Florida and Yale and not from Louisville! Life is good!

LOL....When you don;t have anytjing going on to cheer for...It is good to have something to cheer against in these barren times.

Reaction Score
Just one more thing. When UConn was first considered for membership in the ACC, the football program was on an upward trajectory. Pasqualoni's team beat Louisville. Active lobbying against UConn by BC, FSU, later Cuse did the damage. Hard to fathom that PItt and Cuse are not equal to UConn in what it could have brought to the conference. I don't keep rehashing this over and over, but being locked up at home is just fraying nerves even more.
UL has history with some ACC schools that goes back over 100 years. Said it before, we have to earn more stripes. We do have a nice trophy case. We've won the most national championships of any school in the Big East, old and new.

Reaction Score
If the virus forces cancellation of football season I wonder if the networks might invoke any acts of God clauses to void some less desirable contracts. The cord-cutting phenomenon and declining attendance may make them question whether the back-ends of some long term deals will be boat anchors.

Reaction Score
Football on TV will have ratings through the roof....all of the pent up demand...with no sports for months.

Reaction Score
If the virus forces cancellation of football season I wonder if the networks might invoke any acts of God clauses to void some less desirable contracts. The cord-cutting phenomenon and declining attendance may make them question whether the back-ends of some long term deals will be boat anchors.
Quite the opposite. With no live sports happening anywhere the first thing they realize is how important it is to have content. I’m tired of watching old games on TV where i know the outcome.
Live sports is where it’s at and just became more valuable during this lockdown. And of course you’d have to believe things will eventually get back to normal and fans can go back to stadiums.

Reaction Score

I have found someting to cheer....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When Jordan and ESPN talked...all had to listen. DeFillipo was very close to the truth when he said...."ESPN told us what to do."

He did say that of course he also a lot of other things:

DeFilippo also said in the story that Boston College worked to keep UConn from being invited to the ACC.
"We didn't want them in," he told the Globe. "It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team."

DeFilippo adds that he "spoke inappropriately and erroneously regarding ESPN's role in conference expansion."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And of course you’d have to believe things will eventually get back to normal and fans can go back to stadiums.
That is a big and underappreciated impact of cancelling the college football season. For the school's that pack large stadiums, the football gate is a major revenue number.

Reaction Score
He did say that of course he also a lot of other things:

DeFilippo also said in the story that Boston College worked to keep UConn from being invited to the ACC.
"We didn't want them in," he told the Globe. "It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team."

DeFilippo adds that he "spoke inappropriately and erroneously regarding ESPN's role in conference expansion."

I think that DeFillipo's President probably received a call from Swofford about his loose cannon and ESPN's concern. Thus the backtrack.

Defilippo used a poor and unartful choice of words...what he was trying to say was that the media money influenced the ACC decision. ESPN did not want to be seen as "telling" a conference what to do....although their money figures certainly influenced.

And, yes, I am sure that BC didn't want UConn in the ACC....just like Florida and South Carolina don't want FSU and Clemson, respectively, in the SEC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Quite the opposite. With no live sports happening anywhere the first thing they realize is how important it is to have content. I’m tired of watching old games on TV where i know the outcome.
Live sports is where it’s at and just became more valuable during this lockdown. And of course you’d have to believe things will eventually get back to normal and fans can go back to stadiums.
I know we are currently starved for live sports, but when we come out of this pandemic it will take quite a while to overcome the economic damage. I don't think there's any way this increases the value of live sports and it is quite likely that it will actually accelerate trends away from traditional viewing patterns that threaten the economics of sports TV media companies.

Reaction Score
I think that DeFillipo's President probably received a call from Swofford about his loose cannon and ESPN's concern. Thus the backtrack.

Defilippo used a poor and unartful choice of words...what he was trying to say was that the media money influenced the ACC decision. ESPN did not want to be seen as "telling" a conference what to do....although their money figures certainly influenced.

And, yes, I am sure that BC didn't want UConn in the ACC....just like Florida and South Carolina don't want FSU and Clemson, respectively, in the SEC.
I am very tenacious. I would know if the SEC ever voted to keep FSU and Clemson out of their conference. I don't know the answer and I am relying on you to let me know, please. We are all aware that FSU and BC led the charge to keep UConn out of the ACC. Did such happen to FSU and Clemson if they wanted to join the SEC?

Reaction Score
I know we are currently starved for live sports, but when we come out of this pandemic it will take quite a while to overcome the economic damage. I don't think there's any way this increases the value of live sports and it is quite likely that it will actually accelerate trends away from traditional viewing patterns that threaten the economics of sports TV media companies.
By the time this thing is over, either because of a vaccine or whatever, people will be dying to get out and go places. The key being that they know its safe to do so.
I think College, the NFL, the NBA will have record crowds and honestly after a few rocky months, I believe the economy will pick up again. This isn't the first pandemic in history. Call me an optimist, but humanity always bounces back.

Reaction Score
I am very tenacious. I would know if the SEC ever voted to keep FSU and Clemson out of their conference. I don't know the answer and I am relying on you to let me know, please. We are all aware that FSU and BC led the charge to keep UConn out of the ACC. Did such happen to FSU and Clemson if they wanted to join the SEC?

If you are so tenacious...please let me know, by any knowledgable source with link...that FSU and Clemson led the charge to keep out UConn.

It has become am internet myth from constant poster repeating...but I think, is supposition. As is the FSU & Clemson blockage from the SEC.

But...FSU tried for many years to get to the SEC...a sordid history.

FSU failed in 1962, .and again in 1963.... with Florida's support, in 1965 a motion was made at the SEC annual meeting and died without a second...in 1966 and 1967 no motion was made and Florida Coach Jim Graves withdrew his support.

In 1968, Graves and the University of Florida again "supported" FSU joining the SEC, but only if a 12th team would join, could the support be fostered and carried by more than the administration in Gainesville. The SEC voted down the proposal, due to a lack of a 12th team.

Florida would begin to dwindle in its support for FSU as its efforts would continuously go unnoticed by the SEC for the next 15 years.

Through the 1970s and 1980s, former FSU president Stanley Marshall began to push the issue by conducting a personal tour of SEC campuses, in an attempt to land the Seminoles a place within the conference. It seemingly was becoming more and more of an issue as Florida State began to make quite a name for itself in the 1980s, but it wasn't until 1990 that another suitor—the Atlantic Coast Conference, would come calling.

The story in a nutshell:

Boy likes girl, girl doesn't like boy.

Boy asks for girl to go out with him.

Girl says no.

Girl says no again.

...and again.

...and again.

Boy finally dries his eyes, and moves on, and eventually finds a girl who seems to like him.

She treats him well.

He falls for her.

They get married.

The girl he thought he wanted, suddenly wants him.

Ironic

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thank you for clarifying the info on FSU/SEC. I cannot prove that FSU and Clemson blocked UConn. I only see what I read in news articles. I think there is no question that they preferred Louisville and that is essentially the same as blocking UConn however. Nonetheless, it is done anyways. I do know that by and large, the blame for UConn not being in the ACC falls on BC, as they blocked UConn long before the final addition of Louisville.

Reaction Score
I believe that it will be a long time before the economy recovers. As as been said, the stock market drops like an elevator, but rises like an escalator. It is possible that many P5 schools will not be able to maintain their own status if this pandemic is as bad as some say and persists. Sadly, it appears that UConn will not be joining either of those conferences. UConn did have a real opportunity, but unfortunately for reasons that have been discussed many times, the opportunity was lost. UConn has decided to join the Big East, which has no P5 members. That was a signal that the P5 dream is over. Football will be independent, until a decision will be made whether to even keep the program afloat. So sadly, to answer your question, the answer is that you have more of a chance to win the Powerball than UConn has to go to either of those conferences.

Please post more of these. We are up approx 15% this week. The broader based economy is another story.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the coronavirus crises does threaten the stability of the P5 conferences but the crises also threatens the ability of schools to continue to fund sports programs that are financial losers at the time when tax dollars are off sharply and taxpayer support is down.

The financial crisis caused by the pandemic threatens long term interests of UConn football.

UConn, as an institution, is fortunate to be out of the AAC and into the Big East which will allow our basketball programs to flourish.

Reaction Score
Thank you for clarifying the info on FSU/SEC. I cannot prove that FSU and Clemson blocked UConn. I only see what I read in news articles. I think there is no question that they preferred Louisville and that is essentially the same as blocking UConn however. Nonetheless, it is done anyways. I do know that by and large, the blame for UConn not being in the ACC falls on BC, as they blocked UConn long before the final addition of Louisville.

I beleive that FSU and Clemson blocked UConn because it was a northern basketball school. They likely would have done the same to any school that fit that category as their gripe is more with the Tobacco Road basketball cartel within the ACC. BC and later Syracuse blocked UConn because it's UConn. They were fearful of a big, new (in college blue blood terms), state university taking what they believe was rightfully theirs - New England and New York City respectively. That's a big difference.

Reaction Score
Will Louisville Athletics Run Out of Cash?

Anticipating a $2.1 million revenue shortfall created by the novel coronavirus, University of Louisville athletic director Vince Tyra announced Wednesday that the school’s head coaches in 21 sports as well as a dozen senior athletic administrators have agreed to a 10% salary reduction for the 2020-21 academic year.

Tyra said the athletic department is also studying other moves to reduce costs and consolidate expenses because of reduced revenue from the cancellation of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament and uncertainty about the start of the 2020 football season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom