What Conn. IS richest in | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What Conn. IS richest in

Reaction Score
Charlie: The "franchise row" effect in the world can have some deleterious effects on food and taste buds and pizza is no exception, as you described. However, for the individual restaurant offerings, I've got up to five in the Montclair-Clifton area that I'm perfectly happy going to, night-in and night-out, depending on what mood I'm in.
And you can find some decent pie in unexpected areas (South Bend comes to to mind)...just not as many good choices.

I had a friend who lived in Montclair until recently, remember getting pizza from a place on Bloomfield Avenue close to Verona that was pretty good......you guys are lucky to have a couple of good Thai restaurants too

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Illinois, including downstate (a term that basically means "non-Chicago"), does not suffer for lack of good pizza. While the national chains deliver an acceptable (?) product, the really good stuff is more local in nature. Aurelio's now has a store in Peoria. Lou Malnotti's is everywhere it seems in the Northeast part of the state. Near Champaign and Urbana there is Filippo's and Monicals. There are several more near the UI campus.

The REAL question is which region has the best recipe?

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
My brother in law gave me some really good advice once. " If you have never experienced anything really good - you will never miss it" It's all about what you compare it too. I remember in the fifties when they opened their first Pizza parlors in our town. They opened one up across the street from my house. Well it served probably the crappiest pizza you could possibly imagine ( far worse than todays microwave type ) but since I never had anything better to me it was wonderful. It actually became my standard for good pizza for a while. My siblings who were older and had access to better pizza tried to tell me how bad it was but I wouldn't be convinced. In retrospect I now actually how bad it actually was, but at the time I didn't know any better. In some ways that was good because I was happy with what I had access too. Quality and satisfaction is only relative. That's why those people in the south believe they are eating great pizza.
I moved to Cincy 24 years ago from Milford and whenever I get home I insist on a good pizza for at least 1 meal. A Jersey guy moved to Cincy a few years ago and opened a pizza joint. It was ALMOST as good as home and I ate there once a week. He struggled because people only knew LaRosa's (sweet sauce, doughy crusted crap) and the chains. Even now, he tells me that most of his customers are east coast transplants. Down here, people love their LaRosa's.

Reaction Score
When I was a college undergraduate, I could abuse my stomach with impunity.
Alas, I am now of an age when more than two slices of a large pizza results in
serious objections from my GI tract.

But I'm always sorely tempted to go for that extra slice, even though I know
what will happen.

Reaction Score
When I was a college undergraduate, I could abuse my stomach with impunity.
Alas, I am now of an age when more than two slices of a large pizza results in
serious objections from my GI tract.

But I'm always sorely tempted to go for that extra slice, even though I know
what will happen.

perhaps unfortunately, my stomach not only doesn't object, it down right cheers when that next slice appears!!!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The pizza in New Haven is great, but I think Little City in Simsbury beats them by a small margin.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is tough to beat New Jersey. any pizza joint in Jersey can deliver the most awesome pizza to die for. That is all I ate during my one week stay there. The worst place was still better than the best place in Virginia. Places like Pizza Hut and Domino Pizza don't survive in New Jersey. But they are everywhere in the DC area...
I lived in NJ for almost 30 years.

NJ pizza is, by and large, horrific. Pales in comparison to CT, NYC or PA for that matter. But the locals believe it to be good, and it is better than chain pizza, so it has those two things going for it.

Reaction Score
Just wondering if anyone knows whether the Pepe's in Fairfield is as good as the original in New Haven. The one in Fairfield is much closer to me in Stamford and is near where I get my car serviced.

Reaction Score
Just wondering if anyone knows whether the Pepe's in Fairfield is as good as the original in New Haven. The one in Fairfield is much closer to me in Stamford and is near where I get my car serviced.
Good, but none of the other Pepe's is as good as the original, IMO. I have no idea if it's ingredients, "cooks", or the build-up of grease in the original's ovens...or maybe just my imagination....

Reaction Score
It really just come down to New York or New Haven, that's where the real debate is. That Chicago crap they claim is pizza, what a joke!

Reaction Score
Illinois, including downstate (a term that basically means "non-Chicago"), does not suffer for lack of good pizza. While the national chains deliver an acceptable (?) product, the really good stuff is more local in nature. Aurelio's now has a store in Peoria. Lou Malnotti's is everywhere it seems in the Northeast part of the state. Near Champaign and Urbana there is Filippo's and Monicals. There are several more near the UI campus.

The REAL question is which region has the best recipe?
Ridiculous!!!! Don't even attempt to bring ANYTHING in the Midwest in to the arguement.

Reaction Score
Finding the best pizza is an elusive goal. On my first trip to Italy in 1997, my girlfriend and I were in Pompeii and had lunch at a small pizzeria next to where we parked our car. For over 18 years this was my standard as the greatest pizza in the world. Two years ago my sister and I found ourselves in Pompeii and sought out this "greatest pizza in tje world". Let's just say it didn't live up to what I remembered. A few days later we were in the birthplace of Pizza--Naples--and sought out the purported best pizzeria in Naples, Da Michele. It really didn't knock my socks off. A few days later we were in Venice on the island of Burano and had lunch at what is currently the "best pizza in the world" -- until something better comes along -- or until I go back there and find out that it wasn't quite as good as I thought it was.

Reaction Score
Finding the best pizza is an elusive goal. On my first trip to Italy in 1997, my girlfriend and I were in Pompeii and had lunch at a small pizzeria next to where we parked our car. For over 18 years this was my standard as the greatest pizza in the world. Two years ago my sister and I found ourselves in Pompeii and sought out this "greatest pizza in tje world". Let's just say it didn't live up to what I remembered. A few days later we were in the birthplace of Pizza--Naples--and sought out the purported best pizzeria in Naples, Da Michele. It really didn't knock my socks off. A few days later we were in Venice on the island of Burano and had lunch at what is currently the "best pizza in the world" -- until something better comes along -- or until I go back there and find out that it wasn't quite as good as I thought it was.
I have never had a pizza in Italy as good as the pizza in New Haven.

That said, IMO they eat better in Italy (except for pizza) than any other country I've been to. And the best restaurant in any country is usually the best Italian restaurant in that country.

Reaction Score
That said, IMO they eat better in Italy (except for pizza) than any other country I've been to.
This past summer, we were in the northern Piemonte (Valtellina) and a wine-maker told us about a microscopic restaurant on top of the hill and got us a reservation. About 6 tables, no menu, just fresh ingredients from their garden and nearby markets. We have had astonishingy great food (sometimes paying embarrassingly high amounts for it) in the past, but never had better food (maybe not as good) as at this modest (and modestly priced) local restaurant. Italians, without question, eat the best.

Reaction Score
Charlie: The "franchise row" effect in the world can have some deleterious effects on food and taste buds and pizza is no exception, as you described. However, for the individual restaurant offerings, I've got up to five in the Montclair-Clifton area that I'm perfectly happy going to, night-in and night-out, depending on what mood I'm in.
And you can find some decent pie in unexpected areas (South Bend comes to to mind)...just not as many good choices.
I had a friend who lived in Montclair until recently, remember getting pizza from a place on Bloomfield Avenue close to Verona that was pretty good.you guys are lucky to have a couple of good Thai restaurants too
My kids live in Caldwell, 10 minutes from Montclair. They used to live in Montclair. Indeed there is some great pizza on - and right off of - Bloomfield Avenue.

Reaction Score
This past summer, we were in the northern Piemonte (Valtellina) and a wine-maker told us about a microscopic restaurant on top of the hill and got us a reservation. About 6 tables, no menu, just fresh ingredients from their garden and nearby markets. We have had astonishingly great food (sometimes paying embarrassingly high amounts for it) in the past, but never had better food (maybe not as good) as at this modest (and modestly priced) local restaurant. Italians, without question, eat the best.
Totally. Anyone who disagrees with this hasn't been to Italy. Or maybe they just changed planes at the Milano airport and didn't get outside. If you think, "astonishingly great food" Italy is the first place you have to immediately think of. Puts France to shame. IMO Spain is up there too - maybe #2 in Europe.

Reaction Score
I lived in NJ for almost 30 years.

NJ pizza is, by and large, horrific. Pales in comparison to CT, NYC or PA for that matter. But the locals believe it to be good, and it is better than chain pizza, so it has those two things going for it.

Interesting. I lived in Ct for 10 years (Greenwich) when I worked in NYC and I was not impressed at all by their pizzas. They were pretty ordinary so I ate pizzas in NYC before I came home. I guess it depends on the area within the state.

Reaction Score

No, Pepes in New Haven is the best 2 locations. The spot I believe is the actually original oven and usually the lines are a bit shorter there. The trade off is the spot is a bit more uncomfortable, with tight seating and 10 minute chairs...

Reaction Score
My kids live in Caldwell, 10 minutes from Montclair. They used to live in Montclair. Indeed there is some great pizza on - and right off of - Bloomfield Avenue.

Do you know Mike from Montclair?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I couldn't stand it anymore. I was going to throw some chicken on the grill tonight but decided instead to order an 18" Neapolitan with Italian sausage, mushrooms & black olives.

I'm a weak man... :oops:

Reaction Score

just more proof that when it comes to food my memory rarely fails me

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom