What Conn. IS richest in | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What Conn. IS richest in

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
We have pizza beyond Dominos and Pizza Hut.... what part of the South are you?

This was 35 years ago in Charlottesville, VA. I suspect things have changed.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I moved to Cincy 24 years ago from Milford and whenever I get home I insist on a good pizza for at least 1 meal. A Jersey guy moved to Cincy a few years ago and opened a pizza joint. It was ALMOST as good as home and I ate there once a week. He struggled because people only knew LaRosa's (sweet sauce, doughy crusted crap) and the chains. Even now, he tells me that most of his customers are east coast transplants. Down here, people love their LaRosa's.

Again, this is dated, probably around 1990: We were in Cincinnati and looking for a decent beer. Couldn't be had. We were in a restarurant/bar and asked the waitress where we could get a selection of beer. She said, "This place Uno's just opened, their beer selection is a BOOK." Just what we were looking for. So we went to Uno's the next night, and their beer selection was a folded-over sheet of paper. They didn't have most of it yet, but they advertised half-n-halfs, "Guinness mixed with lager."

I jokingly turned to the guy who was getting the next round, "I bet it's Guinness and Bud." I wish. It was Guinness and Bud Light; the bartender couldn't get the Bud keg to work.

OT: Anyone know what's up with Bass? I got a six yesterday and it says (prominently) brewed in Merrimack, NH. Of course there's a big A-B brewery there. It doesn't taste like the English stuff.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Finding the best pizza is an elusive goal. On my first trip to Italy in 1997, my girlfriend and I were in Pompeii and had lunch at a small pizzeria next to where we parked our car. For over 18 years this was my standard as the greatest pizza in the world. Two years ago my sister and I found ourselves in Pompeii and sought out this "greatest pizza in tje world". Let's just say it didn't live up to what I remembered. A few days later we were in the birthplace of Pizza--Naples--and sought out the purported best pizzeria in Naples, Da Michele. It really didn't knock my socks off. A few days later we were in Venice on the island of Burano and had lunch at what is currently the "best pizza in the world" -- until something better comes along -- or until I go back there and find out that it wasn't quite as good as I thought it was.

When I was in graduate school, several of us (since we couldn't get decent pizza in Charlottesville) would get together a couple of times a month to make pizza. My housemate did the crust, I did the sauce, someone else did the cheese, someone else the toppings. Well, one time we invited a native Italian. He said we were doing it all wrong, and made one himself. Sliced the cheese instead of grating it (it was still low-moisture, part-skim, couldn't hide that), little to no sauce, no toppings (not even herbs). It was not life-changing.

OTOH, I had him over a couple of times to see if I was on the right track on spaghetti sauce, and valued his input.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
When I was a college undergraduate, I could abuse my stomach with impunity.
Alas, I am now of an age when more than two slices of a large pizza results in
serious objections from my GI tract.

But I'm always sorely tempted to go for that extra slice, even though I know
what will happen.

Well I just ordered a XL Pepperoni pizza from my old reliable pizza joint..... and since you cant eat more than 2 slices........ I'll eat about 5 or 6 slices ... just out of compassion for my fellow Boneyard member :cool:

Reaction Score
OT: Anyone know what's up with Bass? I got a six yesterday and it says (prominently) brewed in Merrimack, NH. Of course there's a big A-B brewery there. It doesn't taste like the English stuff.
Good hunch. In 2000 Interbrew, later to become InBev, then later to become Anheuser-Busch InBev, acquired Bass Brands. There are several class action suits claiming A-B InBev is attempting to deceive consumers into believing various brands they sell in the US are actually brewed in their traditional countries (Kirin, Becks). Ditto other major Brewers (Fosters & Killians - SAB Miller, soon to be merged with A-B InBev) (Red Stripe - Diageo-Guiness).

Reaction Score
Here's a look at some of NJ's finest...........I've been to Razza, which while really good is a bit too refined for my taste........Kinchley's is a bit of a haul for us but we try to make it once a month...... well worth the trip and Tony D's is the real mom and pop pizzeria that every NJ town wishes they had......

N.J.'s best pizzeria: These are the 10 finalists

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Interesting. I lived in Ct for 10 years (Greenwich) when I worked in NYC and I was not impressed at all by their pizzas. They were pretty ordinary so I ate pizzas in NYC before I came home. I guess it depends on the area within the state.
Yeah I'm sure there is good and bad everywhere but in my experience:

CT>NYC>Philly>NJ

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Illinois, including downstate (a term that basically means "non-Chicago"), does not suffer for lack of good pizza. While the national chains deliver an acceptable (?) product, the really good stuff is more local in nature. Aurelio's now has a store in Peoria. Lou Malnotti's is everywhere it seems in the Northeast part of the state. Near Champaign and Urbana there is Filippo's and Monicals. There are several more near the UI campus.

The REAL question is which region has the best recipe?

Lucca Grill in Bloomington makes good pizza at a reasonable price. Old timey downtown Italian joint on route 66.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
In going back and forth between CT and TX, I've learned to stick with Italian & seafood in CT, and steak, Mexican, & BBQ in TX.

The worst dining experience I ever had was seafood in South Dakota. Don't do that.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Lucca Grill in Bloomington makes good pizza at a reasonable price. Old timey downtown Italian joint on route 66.

How could I forget Lucca's? Used to hang there in the 70's with my ISU friends. They had a hammered steak sandwich that was extra good, and often featured 50 cent draft Michelobs. Sandwich, beer, and tip for under three bucks. In the same neighborhood, check out Flinger's for pizza as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom