OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 68 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

Reaction Score
Whenever the better half and I go into a store (live in CT) we wear a mask. I see people wearing masks in their cars what is up with that? We do not wear gloves. Wash your hands. Wearing gloves and holding onto your steering wheel will put a virus on the steering wheel just like if you were bare handed. Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer if you can find it or make it. In CT I think we should open up on May 20 and people should still wear masks. Restaurants are in for a tough go to get back to normal.

Reaction Score
Get you one of these bad boys:

454121.gif
My sister-in-law needs that badly.

Reaction Score
I still can't get over the fact that the governor hasn't canceled school for the year.

As a high school teacher, I find it laughable that we're going to be in buildings 20 days from now - as currently scheduled...

Personally, I think distance learning is going to be in effect until January.

Reaction Score
But this stat is absolutely true. 50% of the virus dies in 90 seconds (every 90 seconds) in direct sunlight.

... experimentally under the right conditions (temp and humidity).

Reaction Score
I still can't get over the fact that the governor hasn't canceled school for the year.

As a high school teacher, I find it laughable that we're going to be in buildings 20 days from now - as currently scheduled...

Personally, I think distance learning is going to be in effect until January.
I teach middle school math in a 18 months-8th grade independent private school. We're running remotely for the remainder of the school year and I'm part of a group that is planning how we will adjust to school next year. We're looking for an in-person/remote hybrid, but it's obviously going to be a burden for a) families with younger students; b) teachers with younger kids).

Basically, our head told us: "if you feel you can't handle this, let us know immediately". Naturally, our enrollment will go down and if some people don't resign people will have to be let go. There's a lot of fight-or-flight mentality for some of the teachers, particularly technologically troubled people.

We've been getting rave reviews on how we are running distance learning in the middle school (lots of live teaching, one-on-one office hours, making our advisory program the forefront of the day, etc), but our lower school is getting some heat. However, it's unfair to compare since it's SO much easier to run this with kids aged 10-14 compared to kids 2-6.

Looking ahead, I'd expect our school to have a lower enrollment next year overall. Much lower within our younger kids, particularly 18 months-aged 5 (who wants to spend 30k a year if they can just stay at home?) with the unfortunate need to let go a lot of these teachers. On the plus side, I see us potentially poaching kids from families of other independent schools who are frustrated with how their school is handling remote teaching.

Wild times, but one thing is for sure that I am thankful to have had an education that promoted creative, flexible thinking that's helping me go with the punches. These (mostly) public schools who are hindered by rigid requirements are ruining the future of this country. Screw standardized testing, a massive overhaul of what our educational program should look like is needed. This will be most likely the largest educational overhaul in over 50 years and it's scary but also exciting to be a part of it.

Reaction Score
I never even thought about that aspect, concerning private schools.

I taught at a boarding school 10 years ago, and I could not have run back to public school faster.. It was an experience I'm glad I had, but the money was awful.

Free rent and free food were a plus though!

Reaction Score
No, you're wrong. But here's the good news. Read this and you will become educated.

William Bryan, science and technology advisor to the Department of Homeland Security secretary shared a slide summarizing major findings of the experiment that was carried out at the National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center in Maryland.

It showed that the virus's half-life -- the time taken for it to reduce to half its amount -- was 18 hours when the temperature was 70 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit (21 to 24 degrees Celsius) with 20 percent humidity on a non-porous surface.

This includes things like door handles and stainless steel.

But the half-life dropped to six hours when humidity rose to 80 percent -- and to just two minutes when sunlight was added to the equation.

When the virus was aerosolized -- meaning suspended in the air -- the half-life was one hour when the temperature was 70 to 75 degrees with 20 percent humidity.

In the presence of sunlight, this dropped to just one and a half minutes.

So just add sunlight to any condition.

Reaction Score
No, you're wrong. But here's the good news. Read this and you will become educated.

William Bryan, science and technology advisor to the Department of Homeland Security secretary shared a slide summarizing major findings of the experiment that was carried out at the National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center in Maryland.

It showed that the virus's half-life -- the time taken for it to reduce to half its amount -- was 18 hours when the temperature was 70 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit (21 to 24 degrees Celsius) with 20 percent humidity on a non-porous surface.

This includes things like door handles and stainless steel.

But the half-life dropped to six hours when humidity rose to 80 percent -- and to just two minutes when sunlight was added to the equation.

When the virus was aerosolized -- meaning suspended in the air -- the half-life was one hour when the temperature was 70 to 75 degrees with 20 percent humidity.

In the presence of sunlight, this dropped to just one and a half minutes.

So just add sunlight to any condition.

So... if the temperature changes (below 70/above 75) or the humidity percentage changes (above 80/below20) - the half life is effected.
1588347578021.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So... if the temperature changes (below 70/above 75) or the humidity percentage changes (above 80/below20) - the half life is effected.
View attachment 53784 THa

Yeah, read that chart. It confirms what I have been saying. Note the difference between 80% humity and 20% humidity. Compared to the other numbers they are virtually insignificant. Yep, you found a technicality. But It a distinction without a meaningful difference. The chart does reinforce my original point that the safest place to be is outdoors in sunlight where the virus dies quite quickly.

Reaction Score
The street in front of my house is now torn up for the second or third time in months for Peoples Gas and the house being built right next to me. All I hear from like 7:30 in the morning every single day is jackhammers, diamond blade saws, backhoes and the foreman yelling in his native tongue. It's getting to the point I can't get anything done from home and am having trouble even thinking. I'm really not doing well lately.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The street in front of my house is now torn up for the second or third time in months for Peoples Gas and the house being built right next to me. All I hear from like 7:30 in the morning every single day is jackhammers, diamond blade saws, backhoes and the foreman yelling in his native tongue. It's getting to the point I can't get anything done from home and am having trouble even thinking. I'm really not doing well lately.
Can you go for a long walk? Put on some music or a podcast that has nothing to do with current events and just walk for an hour or so. It can do wonders. Deep breaths help, too.

Reaction Score
I have a jury duty notice to report June 5th to Hartford Superior Court. I'd prefer to avoid this, I won't do well emotionally with this task. In the past I've used the 10 month postponement option to around Christmas when things are slow. Attendance hasn't been needed.

I believe Courts are closed right now for major stuff. Is there a good chance they'll still be closed on June 5th? Any lawyer Boneyarders with their finger on the pulse?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have a jury duty notice to report June 5th to Hartford Superior Court. I'd prefer to avoid this, I won't do well emotionally with this task. In the past I've used the 10 month postponement option to around Christmas when things are slow. Attendance hasn't been needed.

I believe Courts are closed right now for major stuff. Is there a good chance they'll still be closed on June 5th? Any lawyer Boneyarders with their finger on the pulse?

Hold tight and don't do anything right now.

All jury service is suspended until further notice. Even if you have been summoned for jury duty, you should not report. Your service has been cancelled.

Although the courts are slowly starting to resume some non-emergency functions, I don't expect that they will have juries back by June. In the unlikely event that they do, I am sure they will be very lenient in allowing anyone to postpone for any reason.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom