OT: - What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus? | Page 74 | The Boneyard

OT: What changes are you and family making to your lifestyle due to coranavirus?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
A. I'm talking about car traffic Armageddon
B. TX essentially has no mass transit so not sure the comparative point. The nyah nyah anecdotes of opening and things being mostly fine is childish at best. We all want everywhere to be fine & anecdotally crybaby comparisons aren't helping to date.
C. Speaking of, seems like y'all the one butthurt about possible laws & theoretical police, if you are so laissez faire just live your life, get vaccinating & stop complaining please.
odd, i don't see any ad hominems in my post. u mad, brah?
still true. texas 1.74%. ny, mass, ct, nj -start at 2.38%, then go up.
USA | Coronavirus Updates (COVID-19) Deaths & Cases per 1M Population | RealClearPolitics

'get vaccinating?' no, cuz:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Anyway, we kind of derailed this and I think Tom will come nuke it if it continues on this path.

The question we discussed in the spring was life changes, work, home, family, travel, day to day. I am curious what changes you think will stick and what will change back.

An example is apps for ordering takeout and online menus at restaurants via codes and smart phones, plus touchless payment. That is going to stay. That's a permanent shift. More outdoor dining is I hope a shift that sticks up north. Movies being released to stream while in the cinema? I think that will stick as well.
Touchless pay was around before the restrictions. I've had my credit card on my samsung phone for years. The protocols just nudged the slower adapting merchants to come around to updated terminals that support Apple pay.

I hope drive ins come back.

Reaction Score
Back to the OP's post ;):

Went to an indoor concert last weekend in Ridgefield, Lisa Fischer (rescheduled from Feb 2020). No one seated within 10 feet of me and the Mrs. Fully masked.

The wife got tixs for Christian McBride while there and saw him in a tent outside on Friday, the other day, again spaced seats and masks.

First concert in two years, and it felt nice to be entertained out of the house.

Other than restaurants, these were our first public outings since the pandemic. Not going to make this a steady thing, but will check out a couple of concerts in the summer, preferably outside.

I will say venues are not selling out right now, so its a good time to take advantage of getting good seats, especially if vaccinated.

Reaction Score
Well I was very cautious for a year. Currently in Ethiopia for a family wedding. This trip has included my first plane ride (13.5 hours, will be longer on the way back) first indoor restaurant, first bar, and first wedding (and it is pretty impossible to social distance at an Ethiopian wedding I’ve learned) since COVID. Man am I glad I got vaccinated.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well I was very cautious for a year. Currently in Ethiopia for a family wedding. This trip has included my first plane ride (13.5 hours, will be longer on the way back) first indoor restaurant, first bar, and first wedding (and it is pretty impossible to social distance at an Ethiopian wedding I’ve learned) since COVID. Man am I glad I got vaccinated.
Oh please tell us that at some point you broke away to chew some khat with goats. Or at least a traditional coffee ceremony.

Envious. When I was in coffee biz I really wanted to get over there but could never pull it off.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I was out of office two weeks. Been back since April 2020. Different ways to engage clients.
I am a municipal employee. Surprised to see people in th " real" world still working from home.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I was out of office two weeks. Been back since April 2020. Different ways to engage clients.
I am a municipal employee. Surprised to see people in th " real" world still working from home.
I work for a 40,000 plus insurance company with locations all over the country. When they sent all the cubicle farm workers home last March, they invested a lot of money in new tech so they could work from home. Now they are trying to figure out how to get them all to come back in when most don't want to. Ive been going into my office 3 days a week for months because it's quieter there with better tech access and all the physical hardware like printers, copiers and scanners I don't have at home. Plus I have my own office and could just close the door if need be, but now that most adults in CT have been vaccinated there is little reason to stay home.

Reaction Score
Oh please tell us that at some point you broke away to chew some khat with goats. Or at least a traditional coffee ceremony.

Envious. When I was in coffee biz I really wanted to get over there but could never pull it off.
A lot of my sister in law’s family lives here so we’ve been doing a lot with locals. Two traditional coffee ceremonies but those are not new to me as she does it back in the states. It’s quite the place to visit though. Unfortunately COVID has kept our trip shorter and focused on Addis but would love to tour around.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Am I the only person who absolutely hates working from home? Could be because I’m teacher and it’s miserable trying to engage students remotely but 100% prefer to spend 8 hours a day at work instead of the kitchen table.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Am I the only person who absolutely hates working from home? Could be because I’m teacher and it’s miserable trying to engage students remotely but 100% prefer to spend 8 hours a day at work instead of the kitchen table.

No. I think it’s a function of the job you have, how much of your social life is connected to work and how your workspace at home functions compared to the one at work. Teaching should be in person. The teachers I know missed interacting with the kids.

For me, when I’m working 95% of my interactions are with people not in my building. I’m 54 and have minimal social interaction at work aside from casual conversations. My office space at home is better than the one at work. So for me, home is better. But back when I shared a 2 bedroom apartment in Campbell CA at age 27 and most of my friends were people I worked with, I’d much prefer to be in the office.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'm in the engineering services field (cough, cough, "training").
We were fortunate that most of the stuff we do requires hands on and in-person work.
We had about a 6-month lull last year from March to September but for past 9 months it's been business as usual with work except some placing requiring travel to the location, quarantine at the locations and then do the work.
Outside of that we were moved from an office environment to our houses.
Works great for the team I am on since we are usually distributed and rarely all work in the same location.
We have worked throughout US, Europe and Asia. Other than co.plyong with local requirements for negative tests prior to travel it's been fine.
My job would be miserable trying to what we do remotely.
A few years ago I had to do some remote training and it sucked. I was in a conference room talking to a Cera and had about 50-60 people watching remotely. I wouldn't ever do a job where that was a primary means of exchanging information.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You should head back to the Seton Hall board where they continue to make fun of you.
You seem to take all this message board stuff a little too seriously. Relax, you made some dumb posts. It’s not the end of the world. You’ve endured far more embarrassing things on the site. You’ll be fine.

Reaction Score
You seem to take all this message board stuff a little too seriously. Relax, you made some dumb posts. It’s not the end of the world. You’ve endured far more embarrassing things on the site. You’ll be fine.
You chose to get involved in something you know nothing about, it's kind of your thing. You do provide entertainment clowning yourself on the Seton Hall board and as Chief's fluffer though.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You chose to get involved in something you know nothing about, it's kind of your thing. You do provide entertainment clowning yourself on the Seton Hall board and as Chief's fluffer though.
You keep escalating your rhetoric that’s a pretty clear tell that you are feeling frustrated. Is it just on the boneyard or other places in your life as well?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
These two keep arguing, but again, back on topic. The Wall Street Journal has an interesting article on breakout cities. This is exactly what I expected would happen, even before the pandemic, as work from home was already a trend that the pandemic just accelerated dramatically. Greenville, SC and Des Moines, IW and Provo, UT are mentioned.

"Greenville may be the best example of these rising stars, which also include places like Madison, Wis., Fort Myers, Fla., and Columbus, Ohio.

Greenville sits midway on the four-hour stretch of Interstate 85 between Charlotte, N.C., and Atlanta. It is near the Blue Ridge Mountains, in the northwestern region of South Carolina known as Upstate, and over the past several decades has drawn both residents and international companies in search of lower costs and business opportunities a short drive from larger cities. Those strengths were accentuated by the pandemic.

When venture-capitalist Cliff Holekamp sent his staff home from an office tower in downtown St. Louis in March 2020, he realized he could live anywhere. He chose Greenville."

The Breakout Cities on the Forefront of America’s Economic Recovery - WSJ

Reaction Score
Went to a hockey game and baseball game in the past two weeks in Philly and had to mask up in both venues. Hockey I understood bc it's indoors but the baseball game, we were outdoors, sitting in a pod of 4 and nowhere near anyone in our seats. The ushers held up signs in between innings to 'wear your mask' and even looked around for people who had them pulled down while sitting in their seats which I thought was a little much.

That said, I'm fine with my mask...saves people from my face.

Yeah - I got yelled at in Green Bay for not keeping my mask on a couple of times. I'm outside and nobody was within 20 feet of us. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom