What Caroline’s return does | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What Caroline’s return does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know, I know, Geno said this, Geno said that.... Geno says a lot of things, and will do what's best for the team at any given time.
It's not just what Geno says, it's what Geno does, and every time he's tinkered with the lineup the last three years, he has always come back to Nika in the lineup because he thinks the offense runs better when she's the one running it.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Actually, I think the Creighton game was a great opportunity to have both Caroline and Aubrey in together as Creighton isn't full of very tall players. Have either Aaliyah or Dorka get some rest while out on the court is Caroline, Aubrey, Lou, Nika and either Aaliyah or Dorka as the designated big. With that group, UConn has 5'9 Nika, 6'1 Aubrey who also is team's best defensive player, 6'1 Lou, 6'2 Caroline, and either 6'3 Aaliyah or 6'5 Dorka. Now you have good shooters, good defenders and good rebounders, and you can take advantage of the fast break opportunities too.
Geno did have the two on the floor for around 8 minutes with Dorka sitting. I don't know if it helped, but it is great that he can now rest not only Aubrey, but both Dorka and Aaliyah if he wishes to. Both Lou and Nika will get very little rest until Azzi is able to play

Reaction Score
If Azzi is back, that would not be our best starting five.

I assume Geno has received your instructions?

You, browns, plus Littlemin and others call it absurd to try to field the best possible team the Huskies can muster. Why is it absurd to consider that a team with a healthy Azzi, a healthy Caroline, plus Aubrey, Dorka and Aaliyah might be the best team possible? Sounds pretty darned good to me.

It is not about sending Nika to the bench. It's about making the Huskies the best they can be... we have a difference of opinion. I know, I know, Geno said this, Geno said that.... Geno says a lot of things, and will do what's best for the team at any given time.

Sadly, it's possibly a moot point if Azzi isn't close to 100 percent come tournament time.
There is no way it will be Azzi, Caroline, Aubrey, Aaliyah and Dorka. You are going to sit your point guard, the heart and soul of your team and the nation's leader in assists and have Azzi play a position she has played only sparingly the last two years? Also, no Lou? Not happening. She is a scorer, a 5th year player, mature, seasoned and has earned her stripes. I would think he will keep the 5 who have bonded and jelled, and then use CD and Azzi, although perhaps with much more playing time than perhaps a starter or 2. If Azzi is back to form, it will be Aubrey who sits and Lou who slides to the 3. You want a second shooter/scorer out there as much as possible. Last night proved that. Either CD, Lou or Azzi can take advantage of a weaker defender or in CD's case, a smaller one. With one outside shooter they clog the middle, tie up the bigs, and dare us to shoot while at the same time muscling Lou to the ball. I think Aubrey is a much better shooter than she thinks she is but she has been hesitant to shoot and Nika is hot and cold. Lou was the shooter before last night. Now they have to shut down 2 of them. It opens the middle. In the case of CD she can create her own shot so she has to be closely guarded with the ball and without it she moves like an old time Knick.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yeah, that’s what they did; the fully reported and commented on gradual increase in activity from no contact, to light contact, to full contact, to playing was all just a smoke screen when they really just threw “her out there and see what happens“. Come on, really?
I believe that @RedStickHusky was being sarcastic to another poster who seemed to questioning the playing of Caroline and putting her at risk.

Reaction Score
Wasn't it said that Azzi hasn't been cleared for any contact during the broadcast last night? All this speculation as to rotations may be a bit presumptuous.
Yeah she is doing some exercises with Coach Valley, but she's not practicing yet as far as we know. It's not a concussion protocol, so the progression could be much quicker where she goes from not participating in full fledge practices to a game in the span of days instead of weeks. Or, we might not see her on the court again until summer session. Who knows. Geno only uses seven or eight in March anyway, so I feel pretty good going into the NCAAs if #6 and #7 are Caroline and Azzi. Can't imagine too many teams have those kind of players as their 6 and 7.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
We also got some much needed " luck." Creighton had a wide open lay-up off an under the basket throw in, and the player mishandled the ball and created a turnover instead of a bucket. We also got a phantom call on the block of Caroline's shot in the waning seconds. A call which allowed her the chance to sink two critical free throws. replays showed the Creighton player got all ball. The refs must close their eyes and blow the whistle on any really good defensive play, imagining it cannot be made without a foul.

Sometimes, it is better to be lucky than good.
There were phantom calls on both sides, it is what it is in basketball. The ref that called it was down low on the opposite side of the camera angle that SNY showed, which was inconclusive, maybe she actually saw the hand hitting Caroline's.

Reaction Score
Yeah she is doing some exercises with Coach Valley, but she's not practicing yet as far as we know. It's not a concussion protocol, so the progression could be much quicker where she goes from not participating in full fledge practices to a game in the span of days instead of weeks. Or, we might not see her on the court again until summer session. Who knows. Geno only uses seven or eight in March anyway, so I feel pretty good going into the NCAAs if #6 and #7 are Caroline and Azzi. Can't imagine too many teams have those kind of players as their 6 and 7.
Exactly my point. You are bringing in about 25-30 points off the bench. It just creates pressure on the defense, makes them guard the 3 religiously and thereby opens up the middle for 1on 1s with our bigs, not our bigs trying to force against double teams like last night.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I believe what you are saying is exactly what my point was with the starting five at tournament time. If all are healthy, and ready to go, you put your 5 best player to play the most minutes. Of course, match-ups dictate a lot, and who is hot and who is not, but find me five better overall available players than Azzi, Lou, Caroline, Dorka, and Aliyah for the respective positions. Sure, some players may do one or two things better, but I believe you will be hard pressed to find a better 5 unit anywhere in the nation. No disrespect to any other player, or "wanting" them on the bench. Rather, the object of the game is putting the ball in the basket, and they are them!
you just don't get nika's value to the team. her leadership is immense.

Reaction Score
Considering she suffered a set back from when the knee was originally injured, I'm not so sure. If she's only doing exercises, it sounds like it's still some time until anyone will know whether she can compete at a level to help the team. I'd rather see her back fully healthy for next season versus pushing herself and it being too soon.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All this talk about who should start. We have scoring problems. Lou Caroline and Azzi can score, they can shoot the heck out of the ball at a very high percentage. They can dribble drive and they can create their own shot. They demand defenses to guard them. Now tell me any player as of the past few games who can do all that. Having Lou Caroline and Azzi on the floor will cut down on TO's too because you dont have to look to force the ball to anyone. They will create their own shot or if open arent afraid to shoot it. Again we need scorers and they are scorers . Most likely not all 3 will be on the floor together. Geno like offense off the bench and Azzi and Caroline will have managed minutes to avoid further injuries.

Since opponents have caught on to pack it in and shadow Lou UConn has had problems scoring. With Caroline back everything changes and when Azzi gets back well you can just forget it because I dont think there are any defenses that can hold UConn down. Those 3 make everybody better because defenses will be forced to cover everybody one on one.

The focus for me now is March. If we lose to Nova and get Azzi back for March we are gonna be a very tuff out as long as we all stay healthy. When were hitting from the outside there arent gonna be alot of rebounds alot of TO's and alot fear except for opponents.

We are in a better place with Caroline back and it will only get better from here on out.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm quite surprised that in 87 posts in this thread, no one has referred to Geno's comments in his postgame press conference about his anxiety regarding perimeter defense when Caroline and Lou are on the floor at the same time.

They are both somewhat slow and somewhat foul-prone, and a team with one or more small, fast guards could potentially dance right through them to the basket. That team is not Creighton and not Villanova or Marquette, but in the Big East it might be Seton Hall, DePaul, or St. John's. Against teams like that, it sounds like we will see a lot of Aubrey and not very much of Caroline and Lou on the floor together.

Another thing that Geno will probably deploy (as he did a bit against Creighton) is a 3-2 zone defense, which makes it somewhat easier for defenders like Lou and Caroline to contain penetration.

Reaction Score
It doesn't have to work that way and it certainly didn't last night. Aubrey will get her minutes and the better she plays the more she'll get. Caroline will sub for whoever Geno thinks it is appropriate and will most likely stay in the game as she gets in better and better shape ... physically and mentally.

Reaction Score
  • Speaking of Lou and Caroline and what they do for each other, watch the clip below. Both are on the perimeter and Lou gets the ball. Two defenders collapse on the team’s best three point shooter, leaving Caroline wide open in the corner. I’ve been waiting weeks to see this again. Just imagine when Azzi gets back
Yes, I hope this becomes a reality. Been waiting all season for the three of them to be in the game together setting the nets on fire.

Reaction Score
If Azzi is back, that would not be our best starting five.

I assume Geno has received your instructions?

You, browns, plus Littlemin and others call it absurd to try to field the best possible team the Huskies can muster. Why is it absurd to consider that a team with a healthy Azzi, a healthy Caroline, plus Aubrey, Dorka and Aaliyah might be the best team possible? Sounds pretty darned good to me.

It is not about sending Nika to the bench. It's about making the Huskies the best they can be... we have a difference of opinion. I know, I know, Geno said this, Geno said that.... Geno says a lot of things, and will do what's best for the team at any given time.

Sadly, it's possibly a moot point if Azzi isn't close to 100 percent come tournament time.
No, don’t put words in my mouth please. What is absurd to me is that you think that is the best possible team the Huskies can muster. And, oh by the way, the post I answered describing as “absurd” talked about making the change if Fudd was above 50%, so you changed the post I answered from that to a “healthy” or “close to 100 per cent” Fudd. Regardless, while I disagree with a Bueckers at point being UConn’s best team, it is an understandable argument, the one without her and not starting Muhl is ridiculous.
And for the record, I still stand by my opinion that changing the starting lineup last year for the NCAAs cost Uconn a legit chance at the championship, as proven by them being non-competitive with SC in the finals. It got them to the finals but “pretty ball” was never going to beat SC and that was my posted opinion before a game was even tipped off in the tournament.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
No, don’t put words in my mouth please. What is absurd to me is that you think that is the best possible team the Huskies can muster. And, oh by the way, the post I answered describing as “absurd” talked about making the change if Fudd was above 50%, so you changed the post I answered from that to a “healthy” or “close to 100 per cent” Fudd. Regardless, while I disagree with a Bueckers at point being UConn’s best team, it is an understandable argument, the one without her and not starting Muhl is ridiculous.
And for the record, I still stand by my opinion that changing the starting lineup last year for the NCAAs cost Uconn a legit chance at the championship, as proven by them being non-competitive with SC in the finals. It got them to the finals but “pretty ball” was never going to beat SC and that was my posted opinion before a game was even tipped off in the tournament.
Not my argument but as far as SC last year, I suspect the loss of Dorka probably had at least as much to do with that outcome than the decision to start Paige over Nika.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I've expressed the unpopular position that having Caroline back
won't be quite enough to get the team out of the doldrums its been in for a few weeks.

In an earlier post, I compared it to a general, feeding in regiments piecemeal into a battle, rather than a single massed stroke akin to Burnside at Fredericksburg.
(apologies to civil war experts, one in particular whom I miss).

Of course, the situations are not precisely parallel as Geno does not have the option of Azzi and Paige suiting up simultaneously with CD.

So, he's got Caroline for now and Azzi in the future (maybe) and who knows the miracle of Paige in the NCAA's (she proclaims).

I'd absolutely, utterly, happily be completely wrong on this one
but my gut tells me the one semi-superstar is not quite enough.

We'll see against "Nova"

Reaction Score
Sorry my opinion is absurd and ridiculous, Littlemin. I'll strive against great odds to reach your level of wisdom in years to come.:oops:

By the way, tell last year's team it was non-competitive with South Carolina when it was just six points down in the final minute of the third period.

Reaction Score
We also got some much needed " luck." Creighton had a wide open lay-up off an under the basket throw in, and the player mishandled the ball and created a turnover instead of a bucket. We also got a phantom call on the block of Caroline's shot in the waning seconds. A call which allowed her the chance to sink two critical free throws. replays showed the Creighton player got all ball. The refs must close their eyes and blow the whistle on any really good defensive play, imagining it cannot be made without a foul.

Sometimes, it is better to be lucky than good.
Luck tends to run both ways. I read the box score before I saw the replay and asked myself how could we get out-rebounded by a much shorter team? After watching the game I knew the answer. Creighton got lucky repeatedly by getting those long range offensive rebounds after missed 3 pt attempts. Sometimes two times during a single procession usually resulting in a three. Our luck came at the most critical moments of the game making it appear that we were just lucky or Creighton was unlucky.

Reaction Score
My only hesitancy about more Caroline is that it seems to mean less Aubrey. figuring out that balance is above my pay grade though.

At least against BE teams they will play together when Geno wants to rest either Juhasz or Edwards.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, directly pertinent to the thread title:

Geno said, I think about Paige: She wants the ball in her hands at the end. She wants to take the shot. That's not something you can teach, and we need players who want to take the critical shot.

20 minutes after returning from a six-week hiatus, Caroline wanted the ball and wanted to take the shot. She took the shot and sank the free throws. That's one of the big things Caroline's return does.

Reaction Score
I thoroughly disagree--I did not see this as a foul. The Creighton player's hand came forward and made contact with Caroline's hand after Caroline's shot release and did not nothing to impair Caroline's shot, therefore IMO, the analyst was correct in her assessment and given the importance of the call, her analysis objectively and appropriately pointed out a controversial call that changed the outcome of the game...

Reaction Score
Against small teams and very big teams, Geno has the option of going with a faster 4 guard lineup. If all four are attacking and shooting, we will have a better chance of taking on teams like SCar. Azzi would be needed for this to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom