What Can UConn Do To Be Competitive If an Opening Comes Up In ACC? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What Can UConn Do To Be Competitive If an Opening Comes Up In ACC?

Reaction Score
The additional teams must generate not just more money, but enough money so that average per school payout does not fall.

The B12 paid out ~$37M to each school last year. Any additional school must generate an extra $37M in revenue, or per school payouts fall.

(Or somehow lower average costs -- eg, adding a school like Cinci to pair with WV for the trips East.)
I just read how Nebraska has lost 36 consecutive Big Ten basketball games. Does anyone know if they bring in 50 million dollars to the B1G? Seems to me they have been going downhill since they joined the B1G in terms of athletic success. Of course, financially, they have hit the jackpot.

Reaction Score
I just read how Nebraska has lost 36 consecutive Big Ten basketball games. Does anyone know if they bring in 50 million dollars to the B1G? Seems to me they have been going downhill since they joined the B1G in terms of athletic success. Of course, financially, they have hit the jackpot.
Nebraska hoops was 2-18 last year in conference beating Purdue and Iowa so that can't be right, but the hoops is not good. Football has a losing conference record 4 years running. Nebraska should return to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Nebraska hoops was 2-18 last year in conference beating Purdue and Iowa so that can't be right, but the hoops is not good. Football has a losing conference record 4 years running. Nebraska should return to the Big 12.
If UConn can get its house in order for men's BB and football, Nebraska can leave for B12. Cincy can join them. Then, UConn and Kansas can join B10. Would provide the B10 with two elite BB programs. I think we are a better fit for ACC with Notre Dame joining, but if they do not want us, I think every UConn fan would be thrilled in any P5.

Reaction Score
I would still like to know if schools such as Nebraska bring in 50 million dollars to the Big Ten. Does Wake bring in 30 million to the ACC to justify their existence? For that matter does BCU, Cuse, or Pitt bring its share to the ACC? How much money does ESPN contribute to the Ct economy? Are they worth the tax breaks they have been getting while denying UConn its fair share? I wish someone can answer that question for me.

Reaction Score
If UConn can get its house in order for men's BB and football, Nebraska can leave for B12. Cincy can join them. Then, UConn and Kansas can join B10. Would provide the B10 with two elite BB programs. I think we are a better fit for ACC with Notre Dame joining, but if they do not want us, I think every UConn fan would be thrilled in any P5.
Nebraska is not going to walk away from 50 million dollars away unless they are thrown out. UConn is not AAU so the chance of going to the B1G is negligible unless they change their tune.

Reaction Score
I would still like to know if schools such as Nebraska bring in 50 million dollars to the Big Ten. Does Wake bring in 30 million to the ACC to justify their existence? For that matter does BCU, Cuse, or Pitt bring its share to the ACC? How much money does ESPN contribute to the Ct economy? Are they worth the tax breaks they have been getting while denying UConn its fair share? I wish someone can answer that question for me.
No, those programs absolutely do not bring in that kind of revenue for their conferences. Those are the averages of course. Clemson, Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, those programs are the big drivers. The Wakes and BC's are just ballast chief. I have to believe the ACC paying 4 programs for the same NC turf has to be a weakness, and none of them are your traditional football powers.

Regarding espn, it employs about 4,000 people in CT. That's a huge economic driver so yes, it is worth the tax breaks. espn still sucks. Not sure how current this info is:
  • Based in Bristol, Conn., with approximately 4,000 employees (6,000 worldwide) ESPN Plaza includes more than 1.3 million square feet in 19 buildings on 120 acres (additional 500,000 sq. ft. rented nearby).

Reaction Score
No, those programs absolutely do not bring in that kind of revenue for their conferences. Those are the averages of course. Clemson, Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, those programs are the big drivers. The Wakes and BC's are just ballast chief. I have to believe the ACC paying 4 programs for the same NC turf has to be a weakness, and none of them are your traditional football powers.

Regarding espn, it employs about 4,000 people in CT. That's a huge economic driver so yes, it is worth the tax breaks. espn still sucks. Not sure how current this info is:
  • Based in Bristol, Conn., with approximately 4,000 employees (6,000 worldwide) ESPN Plaza includes more than 1.3 million square feet in 19 buildings on 120 acres (additional 500,000 sq. ft. rented nearby).
Thank you.

Reaction Score

ESPN laid off 300 in November and eliminated 200 open positions. Disney is slated to lay off 32,000 in the 1st quarter of 2021, 2/3rds from the parks. That leaves 8000 other Disney positions. You can be certain that Bristol will feel more pain. I believe that may jeopardize their subsidy status.

Reaction Score
In todays New York Times, page 3, Ohio State athletics in 2019 generated 230 million dollars, of which 185 million came from football. How could UConn ever compete with that?

Reaction Score
In todays New York Times, page 3, Ohio State athletics in 2019 generated 230 million dollars, of which 185 million came from football. How could UConn ever compete with that?
And probably more than the 185 is due to football

Reaction Score
ESPN laid off 300 in November and eliminated 200 open positions. Disney is slated to lay off 32,000 in the 1st quarter of 2021, 2/3rds from the parks. That leaves 8000 other Disney positions. You can be certain that Bristol will feel more pain. I believe that may jeopardize their subsidy status.
300 out of 4,000 isn't very large and layoffs are happening all over due to the pandemic. It's a tough time to judge what will happen to employment levels at any given company. espn's been in bristol since the beginning so I don't think its subsidies are in jeopardy. It's just too valuable an employer to mess with.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

They've invested massive in that campus. They aren't going anywhere. If they want further tax breaks my answer would be to send in this guy to negotiate it.
1609729467057.png

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We're a good fit for the ACC, well not the original ACC but this version that is the ACC plus Old Big East schools.
BCU and Cuse were so shortsighted to see UConn as a threat. They are both out on their own islands and their teams have suffered accordingly. A NE 3 component to the ACC would have aided all parties.

Reaction Score
BCU and Cuse were so shortsighted to see UConn as a threat. They are both out on their own islands and their teams have suffered accordingly. A NE 3 component to the ACC would have aided all parties.
What documentation exists that Syracuse vetoed UConn's ACC bid? My recollection from that time is that Syracuse didn't take a position either way.

Reaction Score
What documentation exists that Syracuse vetoed UConn's ACC bid? My recollection from that time is that Syracuse didn't take a position either way.

forget it, he’s rolling.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Howwwww did they not vote either for or against UConn???

Reaction Score
Everyone knows

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
He didn’t say that ‘Cuse “vetoed UConn’s ACC bid,”. Why did you?

Reaction Score
YES...those schools contribute to their fair share of Conference Revenues. FSU and Clemson are the Big Money Drivers in the ACC. Therefore they should start their own conference and play each other 10 times? Imagine the payouts...LOL The Big Teams need teams to play to get the ESPN Contracts.

Now adding teams to a 10 team conference to make 12...show me the money.

Reaction Score
YES...those schools contribute to their fair share of Conference Revenues. FSU and Clemson are the Big Money Drivers in the ACC. Therefore they should start their own conference and play each other 10 times? Imagine the payouts...LOL The Big Teams need teams to play to get the ESPN Contracts.

Now adding teams to a 10 team conference to make 12...show me the money.
Could you show me how Wake or Pitt for example bring in 30 million to the ACC or Vandy brings in 50 milliion to the SEC?

Reaction Score
The top programs in a conference will always bring in more for the conference than the bottom. They will also earn more as only a portion of the revenue is equal conference sharing.

The idea is that they are worth more as a group and that a conference offers an entity to collectively negotiate TV contracts. It also provides for rivalries, conference schedules, and conference championships.

In the ACC it’s Clemson and everyone else. But Clemson has benefitted from the ACC, even though the North Carolina schools are less a revenue draw.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom