OT: - What are your Thanksgiving plans? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: What are your Thanksgiving plans?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'll be getting some time-and-a-half, which is nice.

For the first time since 2013, wife and I will actually be eating turkey on T-day. Our tradition the past few years has been to go to a churrascaria and do a red meat coma since neither of us really cares for turkey. But neither of us wants to go out and eat this year. So I bought a small breast and stuff to make traditional sides.

For me the best (and really only) part of making turkey is using the leftovers for a turkey/stuffing version of chilaquiles that'll be breakfast on Saturday and Sunday.

Reaction Score
As an Irish lad I enjoy my potatoes but I have to vote for stuffing on Thanksgiving. We have two types of stuffing, one for each cavity of the turkey. Stuffing is great on a turkey sandwich with some cranberry sauce as well. My wife makes a very tasty orange cranberry sauce.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
For me mashed potatoes with a good gravy is #1 part of the main meal. Stuffing, free of onions and preferably with sausage, is tied with a not dry Turkey at #2. Also with gravy. And that’s it. That’s all I want at Thanksgiving aside from a nice wine. My wife and daughter make fresh cranberry sauce from scratch but I don’t need it. All other side dishes are superfluous. I’ve had some excellent cinnamon nutmeg squash/pumpkin casseroles but those are rare.

I love pie, but I’m almost always way too full by the time we eat it.
I'll be curios to hear how the bird turns out. What's the plan re: temp and time? And possibly dumb question, but where's the gravy going to come from if you're smoking the turkey?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll be curios to hear how the bird turns out. What's the plan re: temp and time? And possibly dumb question, but where's the gravy going to come from if you're smoking the turkey?

Have been wondering about that. I may add a drip pan under it in the smoker. Time and temp, about 230 until done. I'm expecting 30-40 minutes a pound, at 10.45 pounds. I could also smoke it part way, then move to the oven. I need to consult the experts.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Have been wondering about that. I may add a drip pan under it in the smoker. Time and temp, about 230 until done. I'm expecting 30-40 minutes a pound, at 10.45 pounds. I could also smoke it part way, then move to the oven. I need to consult the experts.
The Googles indicate you can use the smoked neck and giblets brined in chicken broth.

Reaction Score
My wife is super nurse taking care of covid patients. My 6 month old and I will opt out of our typical thanksgiving (30+ ppl) and see if we can safely make a Turkey dinner with dessert and surprise her when she comes home. I’m trying haha
Nice idea. But why not order one pre made and enjoy play time instead of cooking.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For me mashed potatoes with a good gravy is #1 part of the main meal. Stuffing, free of onions and preferably with sausage, is tied with a not dry Turkey at #2. Also with gravy. And that’s it. That’s all I want at Thanksgiving aside from a nice wine. My wife and daughter make fresh cranberry sauce from scratch but I don’t need it. All other side dishes are superfluous. I’ve had some excellent cinnamon nutmeg squash/pumpkin casseroles but those are rare.

I love pie, but I’m almost always way too full by the time we eat it.

Mrs. Diesel makes a killer stuffing with savory sausage and homemeade gravy. And yes, it is no onion in the stuffing. That is by far my #1 target. And @Deepster nailed it with leftover stuffing and eggs for breakfast next day. I use a cast iron skillet vice a waffle iron.

As for leftover, only dark meat after Thanksgiving. Reheating the white meat is a guaranteed way to dry it out even more.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Googles indicate you can use the smoked neck and giblets brined in chicken broth.

Yeah, maybe. That kind of grosses me out though. That's what my mom would do, and probably always did. But she grew up on a farm and cut the heads off chickens as a small girl. Me...I'm thinking a small drip pan could catch enough stuff, and let other drippings hit my charcoal.

Reaction Score
This year we’ll be buying a much smaller turkey. Normally it’s a gathering of 25 family members, with several roasted and fried turkeys, and all of the other typical side dishes. One of our traditions was after we all sat down we’d go around the table saying (briefly-lol) what we were grateful for during that year.
This time, it will be just the two of us, with much less food to eat but much more time to be grateful.

Reaction Score
I'll be getting some time-and-a-half, which is nice.

For the first time since 2013, wife and I will actually be eating turkey on T-day. Our tradition the past few years has been to go to a churrascaria and do a red meat coma since neither of us really cares for turkey. But neither of us wants to go out and eat this year. So I bought a small breast and stuff to make traditional sides.

For me the best (and really only) part of making turkey is using the leftovers for a turkey/stuffing version of chilaquiles that'll be breakfast on Saturday and Sunday.
You know what you're doing.

Reaction Score
I've just never liked the meal. The centerpiece of the meal is turkey which is at best a mediocre meat and it's surrounded by a bunch of other stuff you would never want to eat any other day of the year. The potatoes are about the only normal part of the meal, I like mashed potatoes done right but it's pretty far down my list of potato preparations. I like brussels sprouts but they need to be cooked in pancetta/bacon to really make them taste good. Pumpkin pie is just gross.
If you by the store special for 57 cents a lb after using your rewards, it is mediocre. If you buy a preium brand-it is good and never dry unless you overcook the daylights out of it.

Reaction Score
This is my first Thanksgiving with no gull bladder. Bring on the pie with college basketball!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My inlaws got a beautiful boxer mix female dog. My chow/shepherd mix female is not a dog-friendly mutt. On Saturday, I met them at Henry Park in Vernon with my dog for a meet-and-greet and there was no chemistry. Just some nips and butt sniffs. My dog did get some aggressive growls in, as expected. Mostly just a lot of sniffing the leaves as we walked up the hill, around Fox Hill Tower, and back down.

They will be bringing their dog to our house on Thanksgiving. Fortunately it will be near 60 but wet. We'll see how it goes. Thier dog will be on the porch for the most part.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
can we all just agree that turkey is awful? @August_West back me up here

Thanksgiving being predominantly cancelled is the only halfway positive thing to come out of the unmitigated disaster of this pandemic. I’m sorry people can’t be with their families in big numbers this year, I know that means something , and is important, but from a pure food standpoint. it is an absolute boon. Less Turkey will be consumed in 2020 than any year on the books. For example it will just be my SO and I this year and she doesn’t hate turkey like I do but she said “ you know what? why go to the bother let’s make something really good on Thursday”

So in the spirit of taking lemons and making lemonade, I urge you all to forget turkey, and celebrate thanksgiving with your favorite food .

It’s been a real tough year. Treat yourselves.you owe it to America.

Reaction Score
If you by the store special for 57 cents a lb after using your rewards, it is mediocre. If you buy a preium brand-it is good and never dry unless you overcook the daylights out of it.
I just don't think turkey is all that good no matter how premium the brand or how it's prepared. From what I've read turkey became our Thanksgiving meat because of Charles Dickens. We let a Brit dictate what we eat...why couldn't he have written about Beef Wellington or Cowboy Ribeye?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Thanksgiving being predominantly cancelled is the only halfway positive thing to come out of the unmitigated disaster of this pandemic. I’m sorry people can’t be with their families in big numbers this year, I know that means something , and is important, but from a pure food standpoint. it is an absolute boon. Less Turkey will be consumed in 2020 than any year on the books. For example it will just be my SO and I this year and she doesn’t hate turkey like I do but she said “ you know what? why go to the bother let’s make something really good on Thursday”

So in the spirit of taking lemons and making lemonade, I urge you all to forget turkey, and celebrate thanksgiving with your favorite food .

It’s been a real tough year. Treat yourselves.you owe it to America.

My wife's not having it. We only eat turkey once a year, and she's determined to stick with traditional Thanksgiving fare. That's ok, Christmas is when we typically go overboard making food we love.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I just don't think turkey is all that good no matter how premium the brand or how it's prepared. From what I've read turkey became our Thanksgiving meat because of Charles Dickens. We let a Brit dictate what we eat...why couldn't he have written about Beef Wellington or Cowboy Ribeye?

How about a “Tomahawk “ Ribeye in tribute to our Native American thanksgiving connections?

Reaction Score
My wife's not having it. We only eat turkey once a year, and she's determined to stick with traditional Thanksgiving fare. That's ok, Christmas is when we typically go overboard making food we love.
Christmas is a million times better than Thanksgiving.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
How about a “Tomahawk “ Ribeye in tribute to our Native American thanksgiving connections?
You eat what what your future father in law says you eat.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom