OT: - What are your Thanksgiving plans? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: What are your Thanksgiving plans?

Reaction Score
We usually have a large gathering but this year it’ll be my wife and two little kids. Wife works at UConn Health where she was a radiation therapist but now a medical dosimetrist. Due to her working in a hospital, we made sure we let all our family know weeks ago that we won’t be seeing anyone this holiday season unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Well, just like that...My son and grandson were going to go to my daughter's. Now she gets a call that she tested positive for Covid just a few minutes ago. Looks like there will be a small gathering here.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
My daughter is having dinner-we went last year around 12 total. It is 2 miles down the street, but my wife is now bed ridden and eats only pureed food. So what looks like her last Thanksgiving, we will spend home together. I may order a take out dinner-Not really, and not looking forward to it.
Enjoy the time. Every bit is precious. It sounds like your a couple stages ahead of me. I'll pack her up for the traditional Thanksgiving in Orlando with daughter, family and friends. I think this is may be our last trip. I'll be praying for you both.

Reaction Score
We have hosted 6-10 in the past but this year it is just my wife and daughter. No reason to be careless. My wife was able to get a 14 lb. turkey and the food will be the same. The family will zoom at 1:30. I would not want to add to the stress that the health care workers are now under. It is wait till next year and is that so hard?

Reaction Score
We usually have a minimum of 12 people over. Big feast with family and friends. My wife is a great cook and fills the kitchen up with food, and the aroma fills the house.

Well no party this time, just my wife and I, and our oldest daughter (who lives nearby).

I'm really thinking on baking the turkey and preparing the meal this Thanksgiving, under my wife's direction. Its scaled way down (small turkey/dressing, couple of vegetables and a dessert), so its a good time to learn. If it tastes bad no one will know. Just to let you know I am not a cook, can't cook and my specialty is only breakfast.

Gotta try and make the most of it, and enjoy the day, in spite of the circumstances.

What are you guys planning this holiday?
No Turkey Day road race in Manchester will probably make it feel like just another day. On the other hand, takeout turkey dinner from my son's restaurant should be pretty darn good. Just 5 of us this year.

Reaction Score
Just me, my wife, and our young son. We’ll try to have my parents and my in-laws over for dessert outside between Thursday and Sunday, whenever it’s a nice day. We’ve been incredibly careful so far. We can make it a few more months.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Well, just like that...My son and grandson were going to go to my daughter's. Now she gets a call that she tested positive for Covid just a few minutes ago. Looks like there will be a small gathering here.
Wishing you the best. Peace & strength.

Reaction Score
Just my wife and kid and buying the reheat it set from the grocery store.

Next door 14 year old tested positive today so no doubt the whole family has it. It is real y'all. Stay safe, another 6 months and we will be safe.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just 3 of us. That’s probably what it would have been without Covid. We were going to just roast a Turkey breast, but I decided to put a full bird in the smoker. I haven’t smoked one before, seemed a way to spare my wife some of the work and make the day less boring. 10.5 pounds was the smallest we could find. It’s all about the mashed potatoes for me anyway, but smoked Turkey should make good leftovers.

Going to set up a Zoom with my parents and sister, all in South Carolina. Best we can do it seems.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
We always keep it to the immediate family so no change there. Gonna spatchcock the bird in the gas grill, have done it on the Weber kettle in the past.

Reaction Score
Usually wifey has dinner early at our place (1pm ish,) we watch the games then head to my parents around 4 for another turkey dinner and then my parents have a party that night where we kick off the holiday season with everyone drinking and singing Xmas songs downstairs at the basement bar. That’s not going to happen this year. Sux. My favorite holiday.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just 3 of us. That’s probably what it would have been without Covid. We were going to just roast a Turkey breast, but I decided to put a full bird in the smoker. I haven’t smoked one before, seemed a way to spare my wife some of the work and make the day less boring. 10.5 pounds was the smallest we could find. It’s all about the mashed potatoes for me anyway, but smoked Turkey should make good leftovers.

Going to set up a Zoom with my parents and sister, all in South Carolina. Best we can do it seems.

Please tell me you know something about mashed potatoes the rest of us do not.

Love me some smashed taters but no way should that be the highlight of a turkey day feast.

Reaction Score
Please tell me you know something about mashed potatoes the rest of us do not.

Love me some smashed taters but no way should that be the highlight of a turkey day feast.
What should be the highlight?

Reaction Score
Usually wifey has dinner early at our place (1pm ish,) we watch the games then head to my parents around 4 for another turkey dinner and then my parents have a party that night where we kick off the holiday season with everyone drinking and singing Xmas songs downstairs at the basement bar. That’s not going to happen this year. Sux. My favorite holiday.
I agree this is my favorite holiday as well. Low stress since all I have to do is eat, watch football, drink and enjoy the company of others. This stinks but this too shall pass.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What should be the highlight?

I am all for well prepared spuds including those who use ricers to make for light pillowy mashed potatoes, flavor infused butter and a variety of herbs and spices. Thanksgiving has a bunch going on including...
1. Good dressing/stuffing
2. Homemade cranberry sauce
3. A well-cooked turkey that isn't dry or undercooked
4. Homemade gravy
5. Any home made pie.
6. Any drink your 12th cousin who is playing bartender serves you not knowing you are 17.

Things that should never make the highlight reel...

1. Fruit cocktail out of the can
2. Mashed potatoes
3. Greek bean casserole (Actual worst side dish ever).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I am all for well prepared spuds including those who use ricers to make for light pillowy mashed potatoes, flavor infused butter and a variety of herbs and spices. Thanksgiving has a bunch going on including...
4. Homemade gravy
5. Any home made pie.
6. Any drink your 12th cousin who is playing bartender serves you not knowing you are 17.

2. Mashed potatoes

For me mashed potatoes with a good gravy is #1 part of the main meal. Stuffing, free of onions and preferably with sausage, is tied with a not dry Turkey at #2. Also with gravy. And that’s it. That’s all I want at Thanksgiving aside from a nice wine. My wife and daughter make fresh cranberry sauce from scratch but I don’t need it. All other side dishes are superfluous. I’ve had some excellent cinnamon nutmeg squash/pumpkin casseroles but those are rare.

I love pie, but I’m almost always way too full by the time we eat it.

Reaction Score
Anyone who has mashed potatoes ranked over stuffing is a psychopath.

I raised the game this year, since I have nothing but time on my hands, and made 3.5 lbs of homemade breakfast sausage for the T-Day stuffing. And enjoy your mashed potatoes Friday morning when I throw leftover stuffing in a waffle iron and toss a sunnyside up fried egg on the top.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The country is already too divided. Seeing people here fight about mashed potatoes vs stuffing — both of which are god-tier sides — bums me out even more.

Reaction Score
We’re podding up with my sister and her family this week, so we’ll be heading down to their place in CT for Thanksgiving. Size is not much different than in normal years (typically 5 of us - 4 adults + 1 kid - and now it’s 6 with my 8-month old), but we’ve all been taking necessary precautions leading up to this week (quarantining and testing).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The country is already too divided. Seeing people here beat about mashed potatoes vs stuffing — both of which are god-tier sides — bums me out even more.

Aww come on. I was about to challenge @Deepster to a duel. Twelve paces, flintlock pistols, the whole deal.

Instead I shall wish him and all of you a wonderful, joyful holiday, whatever food you may choose to consume, and however you may choose to spend your time.

Reaction Score
Anyone who has mashed potatoes ranked over stuffing is a psychopath.

I raised the game this year, since I have nothing but time on my hands, and made 3.5 lbs of homemade breakfast sausage for the T-Day stuffing. And enjoy your mashed potatoes Friday morning when I throw leftover stuffing in a waffle iron and toss a sunnyside up fried egg on the top.
I'll be pulling out the waffle iron for the leftover stuffing this year for the first time. With the size of our normal Thanksgiving there's never any leftover stuffing, but this year with 5 people there definitely will be

Reaction Score
4. Homemade gravy
5. Any home made pie.

2. Mashed potatoes
I've just never liked the meal. The centerpiece of the meal is turkey which is at best a mediocre meat and it's surrounded by a bunch of other stuff you would never want to eat any other day of the year. The potatoes are about the only normal part of the meal, I like mashed potatoes done right but it's pretty far down my list of potato preparations. I like brussels sprouts but they need to be cooked in pancetta/bacon to really make them taste good. Pumpkin pie is just gross.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
4. Homemade gravy
5. Any home made pie.

2. Mashed potatoes
Okay, I'll ask. What's a Greek bean casserole. You add kalamata olives and top with feta?

:cool:

Reaction Score
I've just never liked the meal. The centerpiece of the meal is turkey which is at best a mediocre meat and it's surrounded by a bunch of other stuff you would never want to eat any other day of the year. The potatoes are about the only normal part of the meal, I like mashed potatoes done right but it's pretty far down my list of potato preparations. I like brussels sprouts but they need to be cooked in pancetta/bacon to really make them taste good. Pumpkin pie is just gross.
When my mother was alive her homemade buttered rolls were always the centerpiece. The aroma overwhelmed all other food. Rolls (especially ones made with love) are so underrated and overlooked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom