What are you expecting from Drummond? | The Boneyard

What are you expecting from Drummond?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm worried there could be some people expecting him to average 20 and 10. I think its going to be more along the lines of 12 and 9. I was wondering what does everyone else think? Hope the expectations aren't too ridiculous.

Reaction Score
avg a double double would be about right. slightly less at the beginning of the season. slightly more by the end

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I can't believe you are thinking that high. If he averages 8 and 8, I'll be thrilled, tho I don't expect it to be quite that high. Maybe 3-4 blocks too. What he'll do is steady the defense, keep people out of the lane. He'll provide an inside threat that will open up 3s; and create space for others. Remember Oriakhi will be taking up space in the middle too. Every player will be a legitimate scoring threat and opponents won't be able to concentrate on anyone individually. His worth is much more than points and rebounds.

Reaction Score
I can't believe you are thinking that high. If he averages 8 and 8, I'll be thrilled, tho I don't expect it to be quite that high. Maybe 3-4 blocks too. What he'll do is steady the defense, keep people out of the lane. He'll provide an inside threat that will open up 3s; and create space for others. Remember Oriakhi will be taking up space in the middle too. Every player will be a legitimate scoring threat and opponents won't be able to concentrate on anyone individually. His worth is much more than points and rebounds.

Ill sign for 8 and 8. he is really going to make everyone else better you are right. by the end of the year i think he will be a monster.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No numbers. Just that he will make everyone else a lot better.

Reaction Score
Lot of players on this team for him to get 15. 8-10, and 2.5 is what I'd like to see.

JL- 16
AO-14
AD-8
RS-7
SN-7- no need for him to score, just 6+ assists per game
DD-7
NG-5
RB-5
TO-5
MB, EO-3 combined

That's 77 points per game, which is about right, although we have the wheels to be a mid 80's scoring team this season. I think we come back and are top three in FG % defense and regain our #1 in blocks this year.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
One thing I was worried about was replacing Kemba's rebounds - he was a really really good rebounder for a guard. This totally fills that void. It also lets Roscoe play the wing and he is an excellent rebounder for the three spot as is Lamb for a two guard. If Alex is determined to get his, there will not be a better rebounding team in the country. I expect something like 14 & 8 from AD and wouldn't be surprised to see him more like 17 and 11 by the end of the year. The most important impact he is going to have is he is going to open things up for everyone else. There will be no double teams on Alex when AD is on the floor. Roscoe and Lamb will have far more room to shoot or drive. Napier just needs to take care of the ball and get it to the guys in good position.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
One thing I was worried about was replacing Kemba's rebounds - he was a really really good rebounder for a guard. This totally fills that void. It also lets Roscoe play the wing and he is an excellent rebounder for the three spot as is Lamb for a two guard. If Alex is determined to get his, there will not be a better rebounding team in the country. I expect something like 14 & 8 from AD and wouldn't be surprised to see him more like 17 and 11 by the end of the year. The most important impact he is going to have is he is going to open things up for everyone else. There will be no double teams on Alex when AD is on the floor. Roscoe and Lamb will have far more room to shoot or drive. Napier just needs to take care of the ball and get it to the guys in good position.
+1

Reaction Score
I could be way off. But I thought I saw Drummond only averaged 15 and 11 last year. So you have to expect his scoring to drop a little going from the Prep School to the Big East.

Roscoe didn't do much off the dribble last year. I think the Small forward spot is by far the most interesting on this team. Has Roscoe improved his handle and jump shot? Is Daniels ready to play big minutes right away? Did Giffey get his confidence back while in Germany? I kinda feel Roscoe was much more of a PF last year, and that Daniels or Giffey could huge min at the three.

Reaction Score
I'm worried there could be some people expecting him to average 20 and 10. I think its going to be more along the lines of 12 and 9. I was wondering what does everyone else think? Hope the expectations aren't too ridiculous.
There are only so many points/touches to go around and I thought Andre wasn't necessarily that polished on offense. If he got 15/game in high school I would expect moderately less in college. Lamb will likely be the primary scorer, I don't know, maybe 10 points/game for Andre. I am more interested in the rebounds and the defensive presence down low he will provide. Oh yeah, and frontcourt depth too. I think we were all a bit concerned about what Wolf and Bradley might be able to provide.

Reaction Score
Between foul trouble and "teaching moments", I would be shocked if he got more than 20-25 minutes... That said I think the OP's suggestion of 12 & 8 sound about right, although it does depend on whether they crank up the pace of play... I think they protected Kemba a little last year by slowing things down at times. If they play closer to a UNC pace, then that could definitely go up.

On a side note, Jeremy lamb running off of double screens from AO and AD will be really tough to stop.

Lastly, I am really curious whether JC tries to put Jeremy at PG at times... Imagine how tall and long of a lineup JC can put out there...

Reaction Score
He needs to work on foul shooting because he can get 10 right there without trying. They have to foul him.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
15 and 10. I agree that he should focus on foul shooting which will help both him and the team.

Reaction Score
okafor as a freshmen avg about 9 pts 9 rbs per game and he was nowhere near the all round talent drummond is. if he were to put up 8 n 8 id consider that a major disappointment because he is way more talent than that. he will be the #1 scoring option in the post for us ahead of AO who will get most of his points on offensive boards and will be fed the ball when AD isnt in the game. i expect AD to put up around 15 pts 8-10 rbs and about 3 blks in about 25-30 min pg. at worst he should put up 12-8-3.

Reaction Score
Ya sike...This kid dunked when he was 11

I'm expecting him to be a big contributor scoring 16.8 ppg 10.5 rpg and 4.5 bpg while shooting about 68%. He is Lebron without the choking. Lamb may lead the team in scoring but Andre will definitely be the team's MVP. Once in a decade players are the best player on any team they're on.

Reaction Score
i withdraw my earlier prediction of 15-8-3 after seeing that video i think itll be more like 18-10-4. this kids athleticsm is crazy!!! he moves like a SF at nearly 7 feet 270 lbs!!! this kid has a tendency from what ive read to not play hard/aggressive for stretches. if he corrects that and is aggressive for 25-30 pg he is going to put up some big numbers. im curious to see him against a zone. if he can be consistent with his jumper with the way he can drive to the basket we would be an absolute nightmare to defend. im awe`d by your talent mr. drummond.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Between foul trouble and "teaching moments", I would be shocked if he got more than 20-25 minutes... That said I think the OP's suggestion of 12 & 8 sound about right, although it does depend on whether they crank up the pace of play... I think they protected Kemba a little last year by slowing things down at times. If they play closer to a UNC pace, then that could definitely go up.

On a side note, Jeremy lamb running off of double screens from AO and AD will be really tough to stop.

Lastly, I am really curious whether JC tries to put Jeremy at PG at times... Imagine how tall and long of a lineup JC can put out there...
I think you are on the right track. Minutes may increase as the season goes on, but an advantage to fewer minutes & our depth inside is that both he and AO will be able to play more aggressively. The shot blocking will be impressive. From what I have seen of AD, he will need to work on keeping track of his man...too many times he was staying near the basket waiting to get a shot to block another player's shot. So, there may be some growing-pains lapses on defense. He will also need to learn how to hedge properly and defend the pick and roll, but his raw talent, skill and power are unmatched. I think the most pleasant surprise will be his passing skills; long outlet passes will lead to easy fast break points and his interior passing will lead to several dunks a game from AO, Roscoe, Deandre, JLamb, TO etc.

Reaction Score
I think he is an absolute monster with PPM numbers but only plays 25-28 min a game. So I would put him around 14 pt, 9 rb, 2 assist, 3 blocks per night.

Oh, and at least one "holy $*(#* did u just see that?" per game.

Reaction Score
I think him scoring 15 a game this year is a little high. Agree about his freethrows if he makes those then 15 probably is a realistic number.

He just gives us so many options. If he or Oriakhi get in foul trouble just slide Roscoe to the 4 and plug in Daniels or Giffey and thats still a solid squad. Before him we needed Bradley or Wolf to be Okwandu.

Reaction Score
okafor as a freshmen avg about 9 pts 9 rbs per game and he was nowhere near the all round talent drummond is. if he were to put up 8 n 8 id consider that a major disappointment because he is way more talent than that. he will be the #1 scoring option in the post for us ahead of AO who will get most of his points on offensive boards and will be fed the ball when AD isnt in the game. i expect AD to put up around 15 pts 8-10 rbs and about 3 blks in about 25-30 min pg. at worst he should put up 12-8-3.

Agreed, anything under a double double is a disappointment. But Oriahki is really going to benefit from this. Use the 5 to defend AD, and he can bring him outside and drive. He can also clear space for the entry pass to AO who should have some mismatches. There aren't a lot of 4's that can bang with him. If AO has a 5 on him, then AD should have the advantage in the paint, and if they double team (or help rotates) off AO's man, AD can make the pass. If you put the 4 on AD then he'll probably need help in the paint, and AO should see some passes off doubles, or easy putbacks off challenged misses.

In '10 Adrien/Thabeet combined for about 27 and 21 a game. I think AO and AD can each average 14 and 10, combine for 4 blocks with AD adding in 2-3 assists per game.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
In order to get much over 6-8 points, he's going to have to hit a ton of foul shots. He's not that good a shooter to get to around 15.

Reaction Score
avg 43 points, 27 rebounds, 16 blocks, 9 ast....also a 3.7 GPA:)

calhoun will be all over him for only having 9 ast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom