What are you binge watching? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

What are you binge watching?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I can't recommend the series "Marchella" enough. Fine acting, a complex character and very good story lines. Also the first and second seasons of "Goliath", another very fine show.

I'd forgotten about Goliath, having watched it what seems eons ago. Just binged season three. Really odd compared to the first two. Nina Arianda outshines Thorton, IMO. Worth the binge for her character.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I watched "Humans" as it aired originally on BBC or AMC. Streaming it from Amazon Prime now, most of the way thru Season 1. I remember it wasn't as good by the end, so I may not go thru all 3 seasons.

I'm debating watching the first season of "Orphan Black" again too, just to remind myself how good that series was to start (went totally, completely off the rails by the end).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Black Monday is ridiculous with an idiotic plot, but it is fun.

Reaction Score
For the last few weeks. I've been late night watching the old series Ice Pilots NWT on Amazon. There's something about watching WWII vintage cargo planes in daily service in the Arctic. The premise is that there's going to be a major mechanical failure, yet the airline has an impeccable safety record. The series looks so scripted & campy, yet I'm enthralled. (And the baseball caps that Mikey wears look fabulous!)

Reaction Score
We just watched 2 seasons of The Sinners on netflix in like 2 nights. Really enjoyed it. Good to see Bill Pullman around.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"Connected" on Netflix is a six-episode series on science that absolutely blew my mind. The host is a bit goofy, but the stuff covered doesn't get covered except maybe in academic science journals. I am now stuck with Benford's Law in my head for the rest of my life. I highly recommend this.

OTOH, I tried watching "The Umbrella Academy". What a total mess. Bad acting, bad writing, stupid premise. For kids only. Admittedly, I was so desperate for new entertainment I got into the fourth episode before finally just saying "f this s".

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
:rolleyes: I don't think I can admit to it publicly but I watched a series definitely aimed at a much younger audience that caused me to become aware of several Australian actresses. One of them, Phoebe Tonkin, went on to become a mainstay on the CW, appearing in The Secret Circle, The Vampire Diaries and The Originals. I never checked into any of those. Secret Circle also has Britt Robertson, Shelly Hennig and Natasha Henstridge. Okay, I'm in! A few episodes in kinda creeped me out. Witchcraft makes me a little nervous, demonic possession even more so, and they did it in a quite visceral way. I retreated for a while, but eventually tried again. I'm about halfway thru. It's decent. A bit melodramatic, but that's the calling card for CW, right? They have a number of their shows available for free streaming via CW Seed.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This has been a food show weekend. Watched Street Food: Latin America, which, if you watch it, you will never, ever call any taco served in the US "authentic Mexican". Also finally got around to some episodes of "Ugly Delicious" and I really like David Chang in this role. He's not Bourdain as far as politics, but he's got an interesting perspective as a Korean. A lot of ideas I'm in agreement with regarding what's "authentic" and what's "good food". Also enjoyed that Peter Meehan is his Ruhlman.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, now I know why I mostly avoid CW shows. I'm most of the way thru Secret Circle, but I'm not sure I can finish. It turned dumb somewhere along the line. Various characters take turns making idiotic decisions, the drama and angst are turned up to 11, more love triangles and characters betraying and double crossing each other than I can keep track of. I'm actually starting to kind of dislike Britt Robertson's character, just too much whining...and dumb decisions. Shelley Hennig has mostly been shoved to the sidelines. At least Phoebe Tonkin is entertaining with her conniving and manipulating and pouting. The boys are all so brooding and moody, I forgot about the time when everything was so emo.

As an alternative, I discovered the CW Seed also has Suburgatory. I watched Season 1 several years ago, got it from the library, but they didn't have subsequent seasons. Now I can pick up where I left off. I like Jane Levy. Carly Chaikin does such a good dead eyed, soulless, so bored with life she can hardly talk, rich suburbanite kid.

edit--I think Jeremy Sisto is Seth Rogen's not so homely doppleganger. They even have the same voice almost.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just finished Marvelous Mrs Maisel. Highly recommend if you haven't watched yet. On Amazon

Reaction Score
This has been a food show weekend. Watched Street Food: Latin America, which, if you watch it, you will never, ever call any taco served in the US "authentic Mexican". Also finally got around to some episodes of "Ugly Delicious" and I really like David Chang in this role. He's not Bourdain as far as politics, but he's got an interesting perspective as a Korean. A lot of ideas I'm in agreement with regarding what's "authentic" and what's "good food". Also enjoyed that Peter Meehan is his Ruhlman.
Just some trivia, David Chang is Trinity College (Hartford) grad as is Danny Meyers (Shake Shack).

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I love The Curse of Oak Island. It is ridiculously addicting. My household kids me about it

Son: Hey you still watching that? What's happening?
Me: They found wood.​
Son: Wood. Well that's uh, interesting.
Me: Well it might be old wood. We won't know until they do the dendrochronology.​
Son: [shakes head and walks away]
As you see the action never stops. It's not the highest rated nonfiction show on cable for no reason.
I'm addicted too...I wish they would just find that damn money pit and get on with it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Started a rewatch of an old favorite, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Classic stuff. SMG was very appealing. James Marsters was great as spike.

Reaction Score
Just finished "The lost pirates kingdom" on Netflix. It's a docudrama about how the Pirates of the Caribbean came about. If you have watched Black Sails on Starz,you know the names of most of the buccaneers involved as everyone except Flint & Long John Silver actually existed.
The documentary delves into why these people actually got into the pirate trade. It is only 6 episodes long, but worth every minute.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Started a new show, A Discovery of Witches. Had to sign up to Shudder (or Sundance but we prefer Shudder and it was cheaper). A Discovery of Witches | All Episodes Available To Stream Ad-Free | SUNDANCE NOW I didn't know it was a show, but my wife wanted to see it. I had read the books. It's quite well done, very, very true to the books and well cast. Matthew Goode and Teresa Palmer (who is gorgeous, I remember her from Warm Bodies) are the leads. It gets good ratings on IMDB and we both enjoy it. Production quality is high for a show on Sundance if not at GOT levels. Filming is done in a wide range of appealing locations, Oxford, Venice, Wales. This is fantasy series, with a clear romantic element to it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Teresa Palmer (who is gorgeous, I remember her from Warm Bodies)
No kidding. I've enjoyed her throughout her career. She's not exactly unknown, but I'm surprised she isn't a bigger name in Hollywood.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So, as a fan of Black Sails, a Jimmy Buffet fan and a pirate looking at 55, I’m really enjoying The Lost Pirate Kingdom on Netflix. This covers the history of the major Caribbean pirates during the golden age of piracy. Hornigold, Wallace, Thatch/Blackbeard, Sam Bellamy, Anne Bonney, Charles Vane, Jack Rackham and many others. What a unique and interesting period in human history. This is really well done as a docu-drama. The interwoven histories here are really impressive. I continue to find these people and this history quite fascinating.

Reaction Score
watched 6 episodes of "Long Strange Trip" on the Grateful Dead. Reignited my interest around the band. I like how each episode was chronological but also focussed on specific things. Believe Episode 5 was about "Dead Heads" and the culture around live shows. I'm sure they could have done about 20 more episodes around it but really enjoyed the old footage of them in the 60s.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom