What an absolute joke | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What an absolute joke

Reaction Score
I believe the people in power have always wanted UConn FB to succeed. They just haven’t as competent as the folks at Cincinnati, SMU, Memphis, UCF, etc.
SMU, not a good example. Deep in the heart of Texas and blah to losing records until this year, but appropiately benefitting now from targeting P5 transfers from the DFW area.

The Pony Express and death penalty may not return, but current students and recent grad relatives joked last week about rumors of recent Mustang largesse. Not that the latter’s not done elsewhere, but SMU’s current 1 year performance does not support citing it with the other AAC school’s longer examples of competence.

(Yes, UConn should further target P5 grad and transfer recruits along with some admissions flexibility).

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I claim no inside information and have not spoken with anyone in Storrs. Just based on public information one is hard pressed to come to any conclusion other than the possible sacrifice of FB was an acceptable risk to protect M&WBB.

Except for the numerous recent contracts signed with multiple schools that extend out for the next 7 - 8 years. But you know... why let data enter your conclusion... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Cincy is the only other one that truly excels at anything and is willing to pay for it. USF still operates in a Conference USA mentality.

But Cincy and UCONN weren't enough to change the tv contract. But unlike Cincy, we had another choice we could make. A risky choice to be sure, but one that I think will pay off in the end...
After watching SMU - Memphis and watching some other key games, this is a real, major football conference with a lot of momentum. There are a lot of high quality teams with talent on the field and it’s getting better every year. I understand the rationale for leaving because Aresco screwed up the deal, but I think we we will kicking ourselves in the future. I’m unconvinced the NBE was a smart move as much as a temporary feel good move.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
After watching SMU - Memphis and watching some other key games, this is a real, major football conference with a lot of momentum. There are a lot of high quality teams with talent on the field and it’s getting better every year. I understand the rationale for leaving because Aresco screwed up the deal, but I think we we will kicking ourselves in the future. I’m unconvinced the NBE was a smart move as much as a temporary feel good move.

We had a team go undefeated two years in a row and they didn't get a sniff of the playoffs. We had to invent a national championship share for them.

The football by and large is good quality. But it doesn't matter because the nation doesn't care about these teams. So we're losing games and losing money. We won't regret leaving the conference. We can only regret not getting in to the other football conferences...

Reaction Score
That ain't happening

We pay a lot - even with Randy's discount. And WE (UCONN) was the top in AD Expenditures in G5. We pay far more than UMASS Walt Bell and have a significant gap over the MAC. We will still get good coaches to accept offers. We have a GREAT University with GREAT facilities. It will take a little patience ...which you all don't have.

That’s a good one. I don’t care about AD expenditures - I care about football expenditures overall. Our salary pool is pitiful.

Good one on the no patience. No one has any patience - the football program has been horrid for 10 years. What’s another 20, amirite?

Every single thing the administration and AD has done (or more appropriately not done), points to a total lack of commitment to a successful football program.

lack of patience, that’s a good one.

Reaction Score
Except for the numerous recent contracts signed with multiple schools that extend out for the next 7 - 8 years. But you know... why let data enter your conclusion... :rolleyes:

Sorry Dan, 'contracts ' for games are voided all the time. The FB program has been put in a barebones, swim or sink position.

Reaction Score
I think Edsall has recruited some impressive young talent to the roster and because of that I want him to get another year.

The one caveat would be if the young talent started transferring out at the end of this year, if that starts to happen I would be in favor of starting over. Edsall needs to re-recruit these players, players that committed to UCONN in the AAC but hopefully stick with us post AAC.

I do very much want a new offensive coordinator, someone with a track record of success.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
is there a way to see how much money is allocated to the football programs recruiting or is that not a separate budget item?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Sorry Dan, 'contracts ' for games are voided all the time. The FB program has been put in a barebones, swim or sink position.

If you have no long term vision for a team, there is no reason to work out the details 8 years out and the payments that come with it.

The fact that we were able to schedule a game with UCF for 1 million dollars should have been enough to tell you, but I guess some folks just want to hold on to their opinions regardless...

Reaction Score
If you have no long term vision for a team, there is no reason to work out the details 8 years out and the payments that come with it.

The fact that we were able to schedule a game with UCF for 1 million dollars should have been enough to tell you, but I guess some folks just want to hold on to their opinions regardless...

Think about it for a moment. Agreeing to travel to UCF for 1 million shows commitment to high level FB? I guess that means that all the cupcakes that come to Tuscaloosa for 1.5 million are even more committed.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
SMU, not a good example. Deep in the heart of Texas and blah to losing records until this year, but appropiately benefitting now from targeting P5 transfers from the DFW area.

The Pony Express and death penalty may not return, but current students and recent grad relatives joked last week about rumors of recent Mustang largesse. Not that the latter’s not done elsewhere, but SMU’s current 1 year performance does not support citing it with the other AAC school’s longer examples of competence.

(Yes, UConn should further target P5 grad and transfer recruits along with some admissions flexibility).
UConn doesn’t have the same attraction that SMU has for P5 grad and undergrad transfers. Many of the those transfers to SMU are from Dallas (or at least Texas). They went out of state and did that thing. Then they decided they wanted to “come home” for their last year or two of eligibility and play in front of family. Sonny Dykes says he gets about five calls per day from kids who want to transfer to SMU. 5% of all Division 1 FB players are from the Dallas area. That’s a lot of kids.

That’s not going to work for UConn. But there are other things we can do better than what we’ve been doing.

Reaction Score
is there a way to see how much money is allocated to the football programs recruiting or is that not a separate budget item?

The schools are listed in descending order of their football recruiting expenses from last fiscal year. The first column, labeled “Power Five Spending Ranking,” lists where each school’s recruiting spending in 2018 ranked among the Power Five schools examined.

1572796746981.png

Reaction Score
UConn doesn’t have the same attraction that SMU has for P5 grad and undergrad transfers. Many of the those transfers to SMU are from Dallas (or at least Texas). Then they decided they wanted to “come home” for their last year or two ...
Yup, were you intentionally re-confirming my prior reference to SMU targeting transfer players from the DFW area (or Texas)? Or, SMU’s single-current successful year from DFW (and Texas) grad and other P5 transfer recruits returning home not equating to several seasons of Cinci’s, UCF’s and even Memphis’ competence? Or, both facts? Yes, geography is a recruiting advantage for some southern schools. No brainer!

Reaction Score
did you look at the article? Spending on FB recruiting is near the bottom in both dollars spent and % of total spending. Somehow this translates to 'commitment ' to FB? I would bet that both BB programs spend as much or more on a lot fewer prospects.

yeah I definitely don’t read the stats as a commitment to football. How in the world can we spend only 30% of total recruiting on football. That is insanity.

Reaction Score
yeah I definitely don’t read the stats as a commitment to football. How in the world can we spend only 30% of total recruiting on football. That is insanity.

Someone is sure to argue that finding 'under the radar ' prospects is cheaper. That or they are spending plenty given the abundance of top talent in and near CT.

By the way is 'under the radar ' just another term for RKG?

Reaction Score
Someone is sure to argue that finding 'under the radar ' prospects is cheaper. That or they are spending plenty given the abundance of top talent in and near CT.

By the way is 'under the radar ' just another term for RKG?

We need to spend more money on recruiting while at the same time focusing the reach of recruiting at this time. establish relationships in areas that aren’t ridiculously far away like Texas. Florida, Georgia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, New England - that’s where focus (time and $$$) needs to be. Work those areas, hire coaches with ties to those areas, hire a recruiting coordinator who understands this.

Reaction Score
We need to spend more money on recruiting while at the same time focusing the reach of recruiting at this time. establish relationships in areas that aren’t ridiculously far away like Texas. Florida, Georgia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, New England - that’s where focus (time and $$$) needs to be. Work those areas, hire coaches with ties to those areas, hire a recruiting coordinator who understands this.

At least we have a lock on Quebec.

Sometimes even I can't stand my increased sarcasm on this.

Reaction Score
At least we have a lock on Quebec.

Sometimes even I can't stand my increased sarcasm on this.

Ha! But I actually forgot Canada.we have gotten some big contributors from our neighbors to the north. Definitely should keep working that pipeline.

Reaction Score
These are all areas we actively recruit now (maybe not as extensively Ohio as the other states you list). This group has focused more on the Carolinas, than Ohio it seems.

Reaction Score
These are all areas we actively recruit now (maybe not as extensively Ohio as the other states you list). This group has focused more on the Carolinas, than Ohio it seems.

Which is good, just feel all resources should be focused on these areas. Texas and that area is just not a good use of resources. Your work on the recruiting board is the best thing going on this site. Many thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom